Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Changing the Shadows

CHANGING THE SHADOWS
“Am I that man who lay upon the bed?” he cried, upon his knees.

The finger pointed from the grave to him, and back again.

“No, Spirit! Oh no, no!”

The finger still was there.

“Spirit!” he cried, tight clutching at its robe, “hear me! I am not the man I was. I will not be the man I must have been but for this intercourse. Why show me this, if I am past all hope!”

For the first time the hand appeared to shake.

“Good Spirit,” he pursued, as down upon the ground he fell before it: “Your nature intercedes for me, and pities me. Assure me that I yet may change these shadows you have shown me, by an altered life!”

The kind hand trembled.

“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone!”

In his agony, he caught the spectral hand. It sought to free itself, but he was strong in his entreaty, and detained it. The Spirit, stronger yet, repulsed him.

Holding up his hands in a last prayer to have his fate reversed, he saw an alteration in the Phantom’s hood and dress. It shrunk, collapsed, and dwindled down into a bedpost.

The dawning of hope and the blossoming of charity: vanilla, orange blossom, white sandalwood, mate, red tea, and carnation.

The orange blossom is STRONG right after application. Within a minute or two though, I pick up the vanilla and red tea notes which really blend together with the orange blossom. The carnation note emerges the more it dries on my skin, but is still not very strong against the other notes mentioned.

While wet and earlier on, this one is a lovely orange flower, vanilla scent with something edgy that keeps it from being too sweet -- probably the mate or tea. I don't detect overt sandalwood, but it may be the component that keeps it grounded. Carnation is subtle, and I notice it last.

After an hour or so, it loses a little bit of depth, but still wonderful.

After several hours, unfortunately it turns plasticky on me, but until it reaches that point, it's so beautiful that I'm happy that I bought a bottle. I'll wear it frequently for that gorgeous first few hours.

BTW, on me the orange blossom isn't like orange EO, not orange juice in a bottle. It's an elegant, lightly citrusy floral, and it works even though other florals are laundry doom for me.

I tried this fresh, so I'm sure it'll change a bit, but it's like a sweeter, Christmas version of Vixen. It reminds me of being in a snowy field on Christmas Day, smelling the clementines my grandmother always brings, and the faint smell of warm homes. It makes me happy just smelling it.

Love this blend. So glad I went ahead and got a bottle.

This reminds me a lot of Zarita the Doll Girl, which I also didn't care for that much. Maybe orange blossom just really isn't for me, because it seems to be the note which ruins them both, in my humble opinion. The other ingredients are fighting to get out in Changing the Shadows, but are sadly overpowered by the cloying scent of orange blossom. Woe.

I really, really wanted to like this blend, and I thought I would, since the components are all "win" for me.

Alas, on my arm it smells like cheap hotel soap :(

I will try again in a few days before I make a final verdict...

Edit: I wore it again this weekend. It does smell better after wearing for a few hours, but it still reminds me at first of some soap we used to have around the house when I was a kid. It is a bit too sweet or something... So disappointing! I really don't get any carnation, just orange blossom.

Edited by wendyb1063

I was a little afraid of the orange blossom when I ordered, but love the other notes so much that I was willing to take a chance. I got worried again at the first few reviews. But this one has turned out really well for me. I am getting lots of orange blossom, but it's working for me in this blend. I don't know if it's a different variety than that featured in some of the GC blends or if it's the combination of ingredients. This is a sweet combination of vanilla, teas and orange blossom on my skin, different from anything else I've tried in the BPAL-verse. I can smell the sandalwood coming out a bit more the longer I wear it, anchoring the sweeter elements. Really beautiful.

The orange blossom and carnation are definately prevalent in the bottle and when I first put this on. It takes about 10 minutes to calm down into a musky, semi-sweet vanilla. I actually really like this and think it will age well too.

In the bottle: Tea and orange blossom.

Wet on skin: Red tea, orange blossom, sandalwood, a bit of carnation. On my skin, the blend, when wet, goes through a very "perfumey" phase, which dissipates when drying.

Dry on skin: Soft vanilla and orange blossom, spicy carnation in the back.

Final thoughts: I'm happy with this one. It's a nice and smooth spicy tea and orange blossom blend, which is a nice change of pace from my usual resins/incense-centric collection. I don't know if I'll wear it often, probably more during the summer.

Try if you like: Spawn of the She-Devil, Jezebel

This is gorgeous! Vanilla, tea, carnation all create this fruity, wonderful delicious cloud of scent. :wub2: :joy: I can't describe how good this is. I just love it. :thud: :joy:

When wet this does have a "perfumy" element to it, but that fades quickly.

I can smell the orange blossom clearly. At first with a little green tinge to it, then that fades and a soft vanilla comes in. I can smell a hint of spice that I think is the carnation.

This is very lovely but Ravenous has my heart as far as orange blossom scents go. Changing the Shadows reminds me of the sweet little newborn niece of Ravenous. It smells kind of young and girly and soft.

I was hoping for a lovely vanilla-orange-tea scent from this, but that's not what it smells like on me. At all.

It smells like kind of an herby carnation with a faint whiff of orange blossom. Not the kind of scent I like.

Well, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

In the Bottle:

Very strong tea (or perhaps it's the mate...). I really hate this note because it's overpowering and very bitter. There's also a hint of orange blossom

Wet on Skin:

Soooo much better - orange blossom (sweet, but a little green), vanilla, carnation, & tea (still just as bitter, but it's waaaay less noticeable)

Dry:

Orange Blossom, carnation, & vanilla. The tea (or mate.... whatever it was) is totally gone now!!!

So, I'm a foody all the way. Since this isn't a foody scent, it's not quite my thing. A full bottle is a bit too much for me, but I would like to have a low partial lying around for the rare times when I'm in the mood for something outside of my norm

:::CHANGING THE SHADOWS:::

The fact that the Lab released a series of oils based on Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" is just plain awesome. Beth's genius seems to know no bounds. There are several of these that are of the 'must have' persuasion, but Changing the Shadows arrived in the form of an unexpectedly early Holiday gift, so this will be the first one reviewed from this series... Thank you, Sissy!

The very first of the impressions were of total surprise. Based on the inclusion of notes such as Vanilla and Neroli, something much... Sweeter was expected. The darkness roiling from the bottle's open neck was as inconspicuous as an unprovoked slap in the face on a cold winter's day... Maybe more of a hint should have been taken from the name... "Changing the Shadows" not "Removing the Shadows"... Changing the Shadows is a dark, sinewy and almost hunky breed of fragrance that puts a wanton and velveteen edge on Holiday Cheer at first, visceral impression. More naughty than nice...

From the Bottle: Most apparent at first whiff are the beverage and floral notes... Almost like loafing about in a tea-room with a splendid floral arrangement in a vase gracing the table. The Red Tea is very refreshing and crisp while the Mate gives a dry and herbally hyaline edge to the formula.The Orange Blossom and Carnation are blended in a pristine unison. They harmonize beautifully; the sweetness of the Orange blossom an idealized syncopation to Carnation's spicy dalliance with the olfactory receptors.The Sandalwood is silky smooth in Changing the Shadows. It is surprisingly subtle as a base note in this blend; giving more of a polish than a platform of toastiness.At this phase the Vanilla is surprisingly difficult to pick out. In other blends, Vanilla often crashes the party with all the inconspicuity of a bucket of marshmallow cream being splattered over an otherwise resplendant boquet, sumptuous fruit platter, or rack of exotic spices. Here it is nigh invisible.

On the Skin: Paradise from the pores! Red Tea and Sandalwood take the forefront in this particular case of body chemistry. The effect is much like an achingly beautiful nude languishing on a couch of the most rubicund velvet with rich red wood with intricately carved scrollwork and rosettes.The Carnations are a rich and vibrant red, bejewelled with dewdrops and overflowing from a crystal vase that is later-lit on a table whose wood matches and accentuates said couch... The iron framed windows have been cranked open to take in the clean and juicy sigh of the falling rain...Changing the Shadows is a riot of red. Though it has been intended to represent a spiritual metamorphosis of hope, here it it is an almost humid sanguinity; a voluptuary celebration of exquisite beauty in life.On Him, Changing the Shadows is clean an assured of His own sexuality.On Her, Changing the Shadows is a purring and silkient pulse.Utterly magnificent. Flawless.A 5 out of 5.

In the vial, the only note that is making itself known is the orange blossom. Wet, the orange blossom is still quite strong, but I can now smell the tea, and the spiciness of the carnation is far off in the background. I can't smell any sandalwood or vanilla. This smells so fresh and clean. Nearly ten minutes later, I am waiting around to see if the sandalwood or vanilla will make an appearance, but they haven't. This is beautiful without them anyway. Changing the Shadows seems like it will have really good throw too. Will have to test further. Orange blossom fans need to give this one a try.

Lots of orange blossom and vanilla at first - it actually smelled more like a sweet cake and was a little overpowering. The tea showed up after a while and settled things down, but I never got a hint of the carnation which is disappointing because I love it so. Now it's down to a subtle whift of sandalwood with a touch of orange. Overall nice, but not a favorite.

Changing the Shadows

On: The orange blossom is what's hitting me. Hard. There's an also a bit of an alcoholic feel to this, like a really sweet white wine.

Half an hour in: Very, very pretty. This doesn't really smell like wine anymore. I can definitely get some sharp citrus, along with flowers. Just nice and pretty.

1 hour in: Gorgeous. Definitely a citrussy blossom. Simple and sweet.

1.5 hours in: Still the same. So pretty.

2.5 hours in: This is beyond pretty. I'm pretty much just getting a powdery (from the sandalwood?) orange blossom. I'm pretty excited, since blossom notes tend to go gross and sharp on me.

3.5 hours in: A little fruitier, but still mostly powdery, sweet, and pretty.

4 hours in: The carnation is coming out a bit, and giving this a nice warmth.

Overall: I am so glad I have a bottle of this. It's so pretty. I actually think it will be a nice Spring and Summer scent, too.

Vanilla, orange blossom and tea. But yes, floral tea. I think this would be amazing to drink, not so sure how I feel about it as a perfume.

Warm, tea, comforting.

Absolutely stunning. This is the orange blossom of Khrysee except instead of orange blossom blended with one of my most coveted notes - amber, Beth changes it up to white sandalwood and vanilla. :wub2: As always the sandalwood is dry, slightly dusty and very woodsy. The red tea is earthy and the carnation is spicy just like the orange blossom. All together they blend into one hell of a beautfifully spicy, soothing blend. I am goign to need bottles of this.

Changing the Shadows smells rather simple on me. First on, this is like orange blossom single note. It's creamy, perfumey, sharp floral with a little edge of sweet orange. It's reminding me of the perfumey orange blossom that I get from Hunger, minus Hunger's decadent vanilla. As it dries down, it's much the same, with the addition of a sharp lemon note from the red tea.

I thought that I would love this, but it needs something that it doesn't have to make it wearable for me (I probably would have liked this if the vanilla were noticeable to sweeten up the blend and make it a bit smoother). As it is, Changing the Shadows is too sharp and perfumey for me. Perfumey floral and sharp citrus tea just gives me a headache. I was hoping for a sweeter, creamier sort of floral.

Starts out quite sweet but the red tea quickly steps forward; this note is very sour and strong. After a while it softens and the vanilla/carnation really smooth this out into a creamier floral tea, but there's still a sour tinge to it that doesn't work for me. Not picking up any sandalwood from this.

For some reason I mistook the orange blossom and vanilla together for apple blossom? Maybe because of the carnation and teas. It quickly breaks apart that image when applied to the skin. It's nice however I think mate does not agree with me, as it's too close to green tea. This will be passed along to the mate junkie in my life: my husband. :lol:

In the wet stage, this is almost all bright, sunny orange blossom with a hint of carnation and tea. As it dries, the orange blossom recedes, and I get tea with the tiniest hint of vanilla and sandalwood. It makes me think of the dawing of a new day, which is fitting for this scene in A Christmas Carol.

This is quite lovely, I'll be keeping my decant.

This one doesn't really morph on my skin. I get sugared citrus to begin with, and it stays that way. I kept trying to figure out what this smelled like..and then I realized it smells like orange and lemon Pez. Almost dead-on IMO. I'm surprised this is so sweet on me. There may be a little carnation back there somewhere, but it's mostly the orange.

Orange blossom and tea are the predominant notes on my skin. The vanilla sweetens this up a little bit, but the tea keeps it from getting too sweet. The carnation here is really light on my skin. It's quite beautiful really.

All the notes in this sounded perfect to me. When I first put it on, it's hard to pick out individual notes. They blend incredibly well. It smells like nothing else I own or have smelled from BPAL before. If I had to pick one note that is standing out for me, it would be the sandalwood. But it's blending in with the other notes making it all one smooth, lovely scent. I love this and will be buying a bottle in my next order!! Just beautiful