Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dracoo9

The Second of the Three Spirits

THE SECOND OF THE THREE SPIRITS
The moment Scrooge’s hand was on the lock, a strange voice called him by his name, and bade him enter. He obeyed.

It was his own room. There was no doubt about that. But it had undergone a surprising transformation. The walls and ceiling were so hung with living green, that it looked a perfect grove; from every part of which, bright gleaming berries glistened. The crisp leaves of holly, mistletoe, and ivy reflected back the light, as if so many little mirrors had been scattered there; and such a mighty blaze went roaring up the chimney, as that dull petrification of a hearth had never known in Scrooge’s time, or Marley’s, or for many and many a winter season gone. Heaped up on the floor, to form a kind of throne, were turkeys, geese, game, poultry, brawn, great joints of meat, sucking-pigs, long wreaths of sausages, mince-pies, plum-puddings, barrels of oysters, red-hot chestnuts, cherry-cheeked apples, juicy oranges, luscious pears, immense twelfth-cakes, and seething bowls of punch, that made the chamber dim with their delicious steam. In easy state upon this couch, there sat a jolly Giant, glorious to see; who bore a glowing torch, in shape not unlike Plenty’s horn, and held it up, high up, to shed its light on Scrooge, as he came peeping round the door.

“Come in!” exclaimed the Ghost. “Come in! and know me better, man!”

Scrooge entered timidly, and hung his head before this Spirit. He was not the dogged Scrooge he had been; and though the Spirit’s eyes were clear and kind, he did not like to meet them.

“I am the Ghost of Christmas Present,” said the Spirit. “Look upon me!”

Scrooge reverently did so. It was clothed in one simple green robe, or mantle, bordered with white fur. This garment hung so loosely on the figure, that its capacious breast was bare, as if disdaining to be warded or concealed by any artifice. Its feet, observable beneath the ample folds of the garment, were also bare; and on its head it wore no other covering than a holly wreath, set here and there with shining icicles. Its dark brown curls were long and free; free as its genial face, its sparkling eye, its open hand, its cheery voice, its unconstrained demeanour, and its joyful air. Girded round its middle was an antique scabbard; but no sword was in it, and the ancient sheath was eaten up with rust.

Pine boughs, plum pudding, spiced pears, sugared chestnuts, punch floated with oranges, boughs of holly, and myrica berries.

In the bottle this is absolutely FOODY. Its hard to pick out any particular note and on first sniff it starts off sweet and ends with a spicy note. I'm loving this so far.

Once on, the spiced pears leap out then let the boughs of holly and pine through to say 'hai'. Then their is a faintness of the plum pudding. Basically, this scent embodies the moment when you curl up next to your christmas pine as a boutiful dinner is brought out from the kitchen. This scent is foody, yes, but the spice and pine is there enough that I'd say that those who dont utterly dispise foody scents may be fine with this one. This bottle is WIN for me :D

In the bottle: Really, all the notes are present. :) (Myrica berries are Bayberry, Bay-rum tree, Candleberry, Sweet Gale, and Wax-myrtle according to the wiki.)

Wet: The pine, bayberry, and holly are the strongest notes to start with. But slowly the sweetness of the food and drink begins to drift through the branches of pine and holly, and the bayberries.

The dry-down: I'm now wondering about the spices used in the pears, because there's a heady feeling from them. The oranges from the punch are also coming into play, as a bright note. This is now blending all together slowly, but it's very different from the scent sniffed from the bottle. I kind of like that original feeling better, so I may wear this in the locket. But it's still lovely on the skin, just different. Alas, I'm not sure where the chestnuts popped off to. And I love Beth's chestnut note.

Ooh, this is much, much spicier than I thought it would be. Sniffing from the bottle, all I can smell is spice and it's a little disappointing.

Wet on the skin, the spice starts to evolve almost immediately. During the drydown, I can get the pine and berries and it starts to smell a lot better. This is a very Christmassy scent and one I think I will be keeping hold of. It's intriguing. I think I'm over it and then I have to go back and start sniffing again. A pastry note is peeking out and I'm glad for it. Overall - a complex and thought-provoking winner.

I think I went a little overboard on the foody scents this year. The Second Spirit gives me an initial hit of pine and spice, and the berries start coming out upon drydown. Bayberry is one of my favorite Christmas smells, but I'm not sure how well it plays with the orange and spicy notes I get out of this. Will need to wear again to make up my mind, I think... not a hardship.

I thought this would be all nice and warm and foody, but what I get out of it is something that smells pretty boozey. I'm not sure why. It should be fruity, but this smells like alcoholic fruit on me. Well, it sounded good, but I don't think my skin likes it much.

In the Bottle:

Holly, pine, sugared chestnuts, and hint of fruit punch (mostly orange)

Wet on Skin:

Holly, pine, sugared chestnuts, spice, and a hint of orange fruit punch

Dry:

Holly, pine, sugared chestnuts, spice, and hints of orange fruit punch and berry

After about a 1/2 hr - holly, pine, pear (finally), sugared chestnuts (not as strong as before), orange fruit punch (stronger than before), spice, & a hint of berry

After about 1 hr - pear (now the strongest note), holly, and hints of berry, orange fruit punch, and pine (the sugared chestnuts and the spice have disappeared)

This is really not what I had expected or hoped for. I had thought it'd be a fruity/foody scent what with the pears, the plum pudding, the orange punch, and the berries. However, this scent is very green and nutty on me at first and finishes as very green and fruity. I never even smell a hint of plum pudding, which is the note I was hoping for the most

Spicy baked goods, with green peppers, later the pears come out a little. Reminds me of Bengal somewhat. I feel that my reviews are somewhat short these days but there isn't a ton I can say about this.

In my decant, this reminds me of Harlequin and Columbine. Must be because they both have that coolness from the balsam/evergreen combined with fruit. I think the Second of the Three Spirits smells more complex at this point, though. Wet, I can smell the nuttiness of the sugared chestnuts. The lightly spiced plum pudding is also in the background. The pine and holly tie all of the other notes together and remain as the base notes. This blend becomes slightly warmer as it dries. This is very interesting but would I invest in a bottle? Most likely not. Still worth trying, I say!

In the decant: Fantastic! this smells like a Christmas party!

Wet: Mostly spices, with a bit of woods.

Drydown: Pretty overwhelmingly spicy, with some candied sweetness. The pine and holly are both MIA.

Later: Meh… it was great the way it smelled in the bottle, but it’s not something I’d wear. Wearing it, it’s even less of something I’d wear. It’s a little overwhelming, at least for me.

On: Spicy and foody, with lots of pine. Very Christmassy.

Half an hour in: Tons of spices and some fruit.

2.5 hours in: Spicy fruits.

10 hours in: Sweet, spicy fruits.

Overall: This is great and perfect for the Winter holidays. I don't know if it's bottle-worthy, though.

ADDED Dec. 21:

On: Very sweet xmas treats and pine with a hint of citrus.

1 hour in: Sweet, spicy, and foody.

2.5 hours in: Sweet and foody.

5.5 hours in: Sweet, spicy, and foody again.

Overall: I'm not one for spicy foody scents, usually, so this isn't really for me.

This smells delicious :yum:. This is exactly what I like my house to smell like around Christmas - sweet evergreen, warm & sugary treats, and just a hint of spice and fruit. I definitely smell the pine, sugared chestnut, berries, and cinnamon-ish spice.

I don't know if this really works on me as a perfume (the spice amps up on me over time and I feel like a Christmas candle), but I'm going to love using this to scent my house <3. I used a little drop in my oil warmer today and it's mostly pine and sugared chestnut with a hint of berry & spice. Lovely.

This is Christmas in a bottle. Pine, holly, and the amzing smell of baked goodies mingling through the house. It doesn't get any better than this. It evokes memories, and is instantly soothing and extremely comforting. This should have been a Trading Post offering.

I smell like the Christmas dessert sideboard at my parent's house: Christmas pudding, gingerbread, and sugared chestnuts. And maybe a whiff of the Christmas tree sitting in the hall.

If I loved foody scents, I would probably go for this one, but it's a bit much for me.

There is a lot going on in this blend--first, sweet roasted chestnuts and spicy pear and plum with a little greenery (that does NOT turn into pine overload--that may be a first for me!). It's very warm and foody and...hectic. Makes you think of a busy holiday party with smells coming at you from every angle. The drydown, though, is simpler--buttery chestnut pastry with only a little fruit remaining, and the green notes have long since vanished. It's delicious and comforting! This might be a keeper.

In The Bottle: Foody, spicy, orange-y

On Wet: Same, but a little pine is peeking through

On Drydown: Just scrumptious. Just like Christmas SHOULD smell.

I'm getting the lovely foody notes, the spices and the pine and berry in a merry dance.

At first, this is a nutty, sweet blend with a touch of evergreen. As it dries, it's kind of a minty caramel with a touch of sweetness. This is vaguely reminiscent of Sugar Skull to me, but with the added evergreen. I think the caramel/Sugar Skull vibe is turning me off a bit, though I do love the spicy fresh aspect of this blend. Ultimately, though, this is not for me.

Strangely, what I get the most at first is what I identify as fennel! As it dries, though, I get the pine boughs and the punch with oranges. Later, my chemistry makes it into potpourri. :cry: I'm starting to suspect that my skin wants to amp the myrica berries these days.

This is the only one of the Yule scents I like and may keep my partial bottle leftover from my decant circle. It does smell Christmas-y. I get pine, something fruity which is probably the pears thought it doesn't necessarily smell like pears. Punch with oranges is in evidence too, and a bit of spice. Holly and bayberry? Check, but not in an overwhelming way. It mostly smells festive, and yes, kind of like a candle, but like that. I will probably try it in an oil burner too!

It's nice.

this reminds me of 'hearth" a bit - which is what i was hoping...i smell christmas tree, out of the bottle - mixed with something buttery/foody...but heavier on the evergreen - pine boughs and holly, very realistic, like when you walk by a row of christmas trees for sale...on my skin, the chestnuts come out initially - god i love the lab's chestnut note, but it's a bit fleeting...the fruity punch comes out after that, but to me it just smells festive and cheery - not overwhelming. the plum pudding is just a slight hint in the background. this scent is very wearable and "homey" to me - perfect for christmas day.

There's a dark spice in this that puts me off in the bottle, but once it's settled on my skin it becomes sweeter and fruiter. There's still a punch there, but it's agreeable. Very Christmassy.

Wet: 1st note that hits me is pine, swiftly followed by sweet spicy pastry like chestnuts and pears.

Drydown: spiced pear and punch and a slight touch of holly. Surprised the pine subsided! The chestnuts are still strong, which is nice because in some blends they disappear on me.