Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Großvater Tanz

The evening’s celebration winds down with a traditional German folk song: rice porridge, candied fruits, heavy cream, powdered clove, and Lebkuchen.

Smells of buttery baked goods and orange on my skin. I agree with the comparisons to Huesos de Santo. I'm just not sure if this is something I really like on me. Maybe I'll just keep the decant and see how it goes.

First things first - I am wholeheartedly NOT a fan of foody scents. But I am a huge fan of lebkuchen, which definitely represent the holidays to me, and was hoping from some other reviews that this would be more fruity/spicy than sweet/foody.

Opening the vial released a huge cloud of buttery sugary spice, and I had second thoughts about putting some on. But I give every oil a fair chance, so onto my skin it went! At first, it really was buttered popcorn jelly beans, which I find absolutely disgusting. Then the spice started to develop as it dried, along with a maple scent. It's sort of like wearing... gingerbread pancakes? Buttery maple-raisin oatmeal? In this stage, it is 100% most definitely food and quite sweet. And I am not loving it. I'm sure that the food it smells like would be really delicious, but I'd rather be eating this smell than wearing it. In fact, it started to turn my stomach, and I wanted to scrub it off for a while.

Fortunately, it softened more and the buttery scent receded quite a bit. Still caramel-cookie-candy-porridge, which is pretty close to the description so it's not like I wasn't warned! It faded pretty quickly, as did my nausea. This has reinforced my strong dislike of foody scents. :(

Nutcake!!! I really like this; it's much simpler than other cakey / foody scents. And as it dries, the nuts seem to darken, like they've been toasted. It's not too sweet. The sugar in this is some earthy unrefined thing. I suppose the "cake" is really the grain porridge. The cream is just the glue that holds it all together. So what is this? Just what the description says - toasted nuts, cream & treacle syrup on porridge.

Dark, fruit-laden Christmas cake dough, spiced and left to infuse its flavours on the sill.

It has wonderful throw and is rich, gourmand and warming. Very delicious.

In bottle: Unusual of an interesting design. The Lebkuchen comes off as nutty and rather similar to the Pfferneuse from a previous year, blending beautifully with the rice porridge element. The candied fruits are distinct, but go excellently with the Lebkuchen and porridge. The cream smoothes things beautifully and the clove gives a hint of bite. This is making a wonderful addition to the baked goods yuletides in the BPAL cannon. Wet: The fruit comes out a little more, but the new balance doesn’t overwhelm any of the elements. It turns out Lebkuchen/porridge combination creates a gorgeous and nuanced backdrop to show of the spiced candied fruits to excellent effect, like little scent jewels on a tasty, tasty backdrop. The cloves a little stronger, but not overwhelming. I’m quite happy with this. Dry: The fruits mostly fade out. The clove ends up the strongest survivor, with a bit of porridge.

Did anyone smell the Nut Crack Night Atmospheric Spray? Anyhoo, this is a dead ringer to it in comparison, to me at least. I love Nut Crack Night. Grossvater smells like roasted spiced nuts and is just all around sweet foody, buttery, bakery and puddin, more emphasis on the roasted nut part. Remember Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfeffernuesse? Its kinda like that but way better in my opinion. I really like it but, not so much as a perfume. I think I'll stick with my Nut Crack Night AS instead. Mmmm.. I love them sweet little nuts. lol!

I did not like this when I opened the bottle, but I tried it anyway.

Good thing. On, it smells warm and creamy and a little nutty. It really smells like how Lebkuchen tastes. Personally, I think that's great because I can't eat it anymore (nut allergy). I don't get a ton of the fruit or the clove. It doesn't have a large throw and fades more quickly than I'd like on me.

Very similar to last year's Joulumuori, but with orange peel. I like how the sharp, dry orange cuts the sweetness of the cooked milky puddings. Not sure I'd want to wear it as perfume, but it might be good to scent my pillow with.

Note: Lebkuchen article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebkuchen

In the bottle: Porridge with cloves. Very powerful cloves!

Wet: All the spices from the Lebkuchen cookie appears: aniseed, coriander, cloves, ginger, cardamom, and allspice, in a very dry fashion, as if I had opened a spice cabinet that contained just these spices.

The dry-down: Sadly this has ended up as cloves and ginger on me. I would like some candied fruits and heavy cream. I may try to layer with a creamy or milky scent or note. Don't know where I'm going to find any candied fruits--maybe Candy Phoenix? Wait, perhaps there's a hint of the candied fruits; I'll have to give this a longer time to bloom.

Warm scent, mainly pastry and cream with a touch of clove and candied fruits. Medium throw, doesn’t seem to morph a whole lot on my skin. Last for about 3 hours. I do like it a lot: it smells very much what I think Christmas smells like!

I think this is what the porridge smelled like when Goldilocks broke into the three bears house!

This is so creamy, spicy-sweet and comforting. The candied fruits are quite apparent but blend well with the creamyness. It's a warm, welcoming smell. I put some on last night after will call and it burned my arm a little but I think it's cause I had so many scents on already and my skin was worn out ;)

I'm very happy I got a bottle of this.

In the imp, this is dust, nutty baked goods. On my skin, the dustiness and an inexplicable orange note supah amps. Huh. We'll see what happens. Too nutty/dusty for me.

Edited by Venneh

On me, this blend is all Nutella and spiced orange tea with an implausible bit of rosewood tossed in. Generally, my chemistry seems neutral (if such a thing is possible), but there is a definite, delightful, quirk between me and the oil here.

This does smell like cereal, but not porridge to me. More like some sort of corn cereal. It is WAY strong, and kind of dusty, sharp cloves and porridge and something nutty which is not tempered by the cream (which I don't even smell). The fruits are candied and kind of sickly sweet.

I am not a fan.

My (German) husband said it smelled like artificial Lebkuchen, whatever that would be.

In the bottle - Something sweet and fruity with a slightly smoky feel and an edge of coffee

Wet on me - The fruits come through more strongly and I get a creaminess that I think must be the rice porridge, but I still get smoke

Dry on me - Disappears entirely on my skin

Overall - A pity, because it seemed to start out as if it would be right up my street

In the bottle: Candied fruit and Lebkuchen mostly.

Immediately after application: I get hints of all the notes once it's on my skin. Rice porridge smells interesting as a fragrance XD It may actually be TOO foody for me O_O My mom's side is German/Polish so I want to love this, though we made Polish kolachkies every Christmas and not Lebkuchen. I love the apricot ones... but I digress.

Warming up: Eugh, it's turned into a muddled mess and I dislike rice pudding in dessert form AND in oil form. Blergh. Washing off.

Fading: NA

Faded: NA

Overall: It warmed into something terrible *shudder*

Rating: 0/5.

This starts out as a warm milk note on my skin, it reminds me a bit of the milk from Milk Moon. As it dries, the clove and spice notes warm to the milk/porridge. I never detect any fruit in this. Ava Luxe used to make a perfume (now discontinued) called Indian Summer, this reminds me SO much of that scent, it was one of my favorites of hers. This is Indian Summer paired with BPALs perfect milk note. Absolutely gorgeous. I'm going to have to track down a bottle of this ASAP.

Oh no, that weirdly gamey/off milk note of doom... nooooo.

This would be perfect save for that (I love the smell of and eating everything listed in the notes fyi). It's not as heavy as Nonae Caprotina on that milk note, thankfully, so this blend is actually nice compared. However, I'm not completely sold!

I don't know how I missed this the first time around but I'm thrilled to bits to have acquired a bottle. It's just SO CHRISTMAS!

I don't get that "buttery baked goods" note from this, which is good for me because that accord never smells good on my skin.

This is all creamy, heavily spiced rice pudding studded with candied peel. I love the hints of orange brightening up the rice pudding note. Clove and ginger are working beautifully together.

Darkly gourmand with good throw and staying power. This will be in heavy rotation this season.

Why I got this: sounds like it might smell rice pudding-y? I hope?
Wet: CAKEY
Dry: rice pudding with a sort of spicy warmth to it and the merest hint of fruit in the background. Exactly what I'd hoped for, if a bit faint.

The candied fruits and Lebkuchen in this smells realistic, like candied fruit and fresh ginger being used to make Elisen Lebkuchen. :heart:  The slightly buttery (probably due to the cream) porridge resides in the background at first, but it becomes more prominent over time, and it ends up being a more of a Christmas-y cousin to Halfling (but this one is better because there's no raisin party). It smells like warm porridge, Lebkuchen and clove, and Kinderpunsch to me, and I am here for it. :wub2: 

I really like this and think I'll be needing a bottle in the future. It really makes me miss going to the Weihnachtsmärkte in Germany. I'd also love to see this Lebkuchen note used again in future Yules, as it is just :heart: .

Edited by doomsday_disco

This one was savory oatmeal on me with clove. Wish it was sweeter. The throw was low too. But stayed on the skin a while. Glad I got to try it but it’s not loving my nose.