Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Batgirl

Bridal BPAL - BPAL for weddings?

Ok, dur, that would have been a good inclusion hey? I use O, Minotaur, Athens, Dolce Stil Nuovo, Winter of Our Discontent, Centzon Tetotchtin, Velvet, Midnight on the Midway, Bilquis, Queen. I have a number of other bottles but those are the ones in hardcore rotation.

I don't have any of the Halloweenies, and I don't have any lunacies/moons except Minotaur...

What do you have in regular rotation?

What a GREAT list! THank you I am going to track down a bunch of these! I have an imp of Pumpkin Queen on the way, and I am definitely going to look into at least half a dozen of the others I haven't tried.

Thanks so much! (I was kind of hoping to mix seasonal or 'love' theme with my tastes because I am a geek like that -- I even thought of Tarot: The Lovers.....)

This is so fun, I love the hunt with BPAL also.

Did you want something autumnal? Or just something based on your likes?

If you like autumnal & pumpkin, maybe Pumpkin Queen, if you can get your hands on some: Regal Egyptian Amber, red ginger, orange peel, mandarin, cardamom, fig leaf and warm pumpkin.

Here are some other scents that I think are really nice that you might like. You didn't say anything one way or another about vanilla, musk, or spices, so some of these have them as components, but I tried to stick with the lighter musk notes:

And There Was A Great Cry In Egypt -resiny/woodsy/spice

Bastet - ambery/warm

Dee - woodsy

Golden Priapus - pine/vanilla

Lotus Moon - warm floral/amber/resin

Black Opal - cool musk

Thanatopsis - pine/woodsy

Harvest Moon - autumnal/warm

Antique Lace - vanilla/musk

Tushnamatay - sandalwood

Omen - resiny/woodsy

Seance - woodsy/rose

Bow & Crown of Conquest - woodsy/vanilla

Brisingamen - amber

O - amber/honey/vanilla

Nocnitsa - wood-fir

The Mock Turtle's Lesson - aquatic

Al-Azif - resins

Kingsport (if you can find it!) - aquatic

Coyote - wood/amber

Clio - amber/wood

Verðandi - amber/herbal

Skuld - honey

Baghdad - spice/sandalwood

Silk Road - spice/resin

Hopefully that's good for at least a few ideas. :P

I hereby bump this thread in Kebechet's and Puddin's honor and declare that ALL of the pirate scents would be great for weddings! :P

Aaarrr!

ETA: and in other news, I'm maiden of honor for my sister's wedding next spring, and over the holidays I want to sit down with her and have a solemn look through the catalog since--you guessed it--I want to give her some bridal BPAL to wear on the day. I've given her tons of imps over the years, but I don't know that there's any one scent that's right for the big day. I will probably wear Litha since it's in mid-June, but she's a wild-card (and wild child--y'all should see the gown she designed! I'll post pics when the time comes). Havisham remains my favorite, and I'd wear it if I were the bride, but for a 22-yr-old Bohemian girly like my sis...hm, I wouldn't be surprised if she got out the Glitter I gave her back before it was discontinued. /end ramble

ETA: Also, a little thread housekeeping! Years ago I compiled a few of the more wedding-related GC scents, and for some reason stuck it in the general wedding thread (which is now approx. 5 million pages long). It should go here. So, here 'tis:

Queen of Sheba: {excerpt} In the end, the great king and queen conquered each other’s hearts and fell breathlessly in love: the perfect marriage of equals. Her scent is a bounty of golden honeyed almonds and a whisper of African and Middle Eastern spices.

Delight: In ancient India it was believed that a specific combination of flower petals, when strewn across a couple's bed, would amplify desire and sexual pleasure. This blend is a blend of the same floral essences, refined into a gloriously sinful perfume blend. Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine. (sounds very wedding-night to me!)

Maiden: A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.

Psyche: {excerpt} This is the scent of true love, your heart's deepest, purest desires. Bulgar rose, Chinese white musk, lavender, orchid and frankincense.

Eternal: {excerpt} Though lovers be lost love shall not; And death shall have no dominion. Stephanotis, cyclamen, heliotrope, white rose and gardenia.

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

A friend's wedding is this weekend, and I'm going to be a bridesmaid! :D I had given her a couple BPAL imps to try a couple months ago, and found that she liked white florals best. She also said that she needed a wedding day scent, so I got right to work. I :P d my Swan Maiden so much that I had someone pick up another bottle of it at Will Call to give to her. I gave it to her last Wednesday as a bachelorette present and she loves it! She's going to wear it at the wedding.

Question: Would it be très gauche if I also wear Swan Maiden? If so, I'll wear The Unicorn or Día de los Muertos (it's a very autumnal wedding, with golden, red, and brown tones) instead.

Edited by paperbacknovel

A friend's wedding is this weekend, and I'm going to be a bridesmaid! :D I had given her a couple BPAL imps to try a couple months ago, and found that she liked white florals best. She also said that she needed a wedding day scent, so I got right to work. I :P d my Swan Maiden so much that I had someone pick up another bottle of it at Will Call to give to her. I gave it to her last Wednesday as a bachelorette present and she loves it! She's going to wear it at the wedding.

Question: Would it be très gauche if I also wear Swan Maiden? If so, I'll wear The Unicorn or Día de los Muertos (it's a very autumnal wedding, with golden, red, and brown tones) instead.

It'd probably be nicer if you wore something else. :) The Swan Maiden sounds perfect for a bride, though.

If I'd had BPAL on my wedding day, I would have worn Snake Charmer for sure. I ended up being bridesmaid at a friend's wedding wearing that and got tons of comments! :D

It'd probably be nicer if you wore something else. :) The Swan Maiden sounds perfect for a bride, though.

If I'd had BPAL on my wedding day, I would have worn Snake Charmer for sure. I ended up being bridesmaid at a friend's wedding wearing that and got tons of comments! :D

You know, I hadn't even thought of Snake Charmer. I've been trying to save my two partial imps for special occasions--I guess this would count! ;)

Ok, finally got my grabby little hands on Swan Maiden, and Holy Wow! As I said in my review, "This reminds me of Yankee Candle's Wedding Day scent and also Estee Lauder's Beautiful, even though I know that those both contain roses and Swan Maiden does not. I guess it's just the "mood" of all those scents--a big, fabulous bouquet of white flowers says "wedding" to me. I will have to share this with my sister who is getting married next June; she may very well want to wear it. It's heady and romantic and ultra-feminine. Bride perfume with BPAL style!"

I suggest all BPAL brides who are going with a traditional big-white-dress sort of wedding should go out and beg, borrow, or kill for some of this. :P

I like the idea of a scent that complements or combines with the groom's scent. He likes Raven (and I looove it on him :P) and I have several favourite violet blends (La Serpent qui danse, for example). Or Valmont (bit of jasmine) and I, Eos (loads of jasmine). Or he can wear Belladonna and I, 51 (both are fresh and green).

I'm getting married in May and would love to find a BPAL scent to wear on the big day, and I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for something suitable. I'm hoping to find something "sweet and sensual, earthy and sophisticated."

Generally I like woodsy scents with musky, resinous tones. Notes that I like include patchouli, vetiver, citrus, peony, amber, sandalwood, herbs and spices, fresh greens, black tea, honey, and cream. In fact there's not a lot I don't like, but I'm not keen on fragrances that are too floral, sweet, powdery, or aquatic. Oddly enough the commercial perfumes I wear regularly are Coco Mademoiselle and Versace Crystal Noir.

Our wedding has a somewhat woodland theme (the colors are sage green and brown and I've included a lot of branches and leaves into the decor), and my bouquet is going to include fern, dogwood, hellebore, and ranunculus.

I know that's kind of a tall order but it doesn't have to include all those elements by any means. If anyone can think of BPAL scents reminiscent of any of those things, go ahead and throw them at me. I'm willing to give all sorts of new things a try.

Thanks!

Congratulations! My favorite sophisticated scents are Dark Delicacies (deep, smoky, dark and resinous with a gorgeous floral tone) and the Emathides (resin and lavender... very deep and not too floral, with a nice sweetness to it). Maybe Black Lace would be a good choice if you have it, or can find it (smoky and deep with a nice subtle musky vanilla sweetness).

Whatever you choose, I hope you find something that's a perfect fit.

Edited by Delirium1009

For things easier to locate, I'd suggest Dorian (though Black Lace is one I think would be perfect) or maybe something like Death Adder.

For woodsy- Knecht Ruprecht, maybe? Or the Twisted Oak Tree. I haven't tried it, but you might consider The Lurid Library. In my mind, it's made of perfect. That's not exactly woodsy, though, is it?

Hmm. Ivanushka is another great one that seems like it could go well with your theme.

There've been some great woodsy scents lately, I just can't happen to think of them at the moment. Hope that helped, and congratulations!

Luperci (patchouli, Gurjam balsam, and essence of Sampson Root sweetened with the heightened sexuality of beeswax, virile juniper, oakmoss, ambrette seed over honey and East African musk) sounds perfect!

And even though it is LE it is available now. Such a gorgeous scent - and sums up "sweet and sensual, earthy and sophisticated" for me.

I second the recommendation for Luperci. Luperci is my favorite fragrance of all time, and if you like sensual woodsy blends, it is *amazing.* It has the patchouli, woods, earthiness, and a sensual honeyed edge to it. Overall it's just such a well-blended scent. I love the Luperci...

ETA: Voodoo also seems like it would fit what you're looking for. :P

Edited by Tania

Rick Astley?! :P

Ahem.

More votes for Luperci & Intrigue, plus perhaps Strangler Fig, Oblivion, or Greed... all heavy woodsy scents. If you wanted more woodland-in-springtime, Bewitched, Hesperides, Caliban & the discontinued Hamadryad come to mind... If you can do violets, Crow Moon would be lovely...

How about Blue Moon?

.... Sorry, I couldn't resist. :P

Angeronalia from 07's Yules reminds me very strongly of Coco Mademoiselle and is a very beautiful, elegant scent. You shouldn't have much trouble tracking down a bottle, either.

I think that Luperci is a great choice. I would also suggest the retail Salon exclusive Heavenly Love & Earthly Love which is Ambergris accord, benzoin, teakwood, frankincense, myrrh, Mysore sandalwood, and incense and from that same collection El Amor y la Muerte which is Clove, red sandalwood, orris, rose, opoponax, benzoin, and patchouli. I like the same sorts of blends and my all time favorite is Midnight Mass.

Rick Astley?! :P

Ahem.

More votes for Luperci & Intrigue, plus perhaps Strangler Fig, Oblivion, or Greed... all heavy woodsy scents. If you wanted more woodland-in-springtime, Bewitched, Hesperides, Caliban & the discontinued Hamadryad come to mind... If you can do violets, Crow Moon would be lovely...

holy crap, that is the same reaction I had from the icon. I was all, "no, that can't really be him..." *shakes head and ignores*

Which is doubly weird because a customer on the phone mentioned Rick Astley to me on Friday and I was shrieking "NO NO NO NO STOP STOP BAD BAD IMAGE" and giggling madly. He was vastly amused.

I really like Dark Delicacies but it seems like more a night time goth club sexy blend instead of a beautiful woodsy innocent wedding blend.

I don't think I have any beautiful innocent woodsy things. But Hamadryad did come to mind (ok, I do have a brand new bottle of that - it arrived Monday with my huge order of discontinueds and I haven't tried it yet.)

Ok, I take that back, I have Peony Moon and it's very beautiful and innocent.

I'm going to throw in a suggestion for Sapphics. I happen to be wearing it right now, and am getting a spicy floral, with woodsy notes. To me, it smells sexy but elegant sexy, not bold and brazen.

Edited by scarletgenesis

Congrats!

I wore Veil when i got married, but while it was right for my situation, it sounds dead wrong for yours.

What does come to mind from your post, though, is Wolfsbane. I found it to be really lovely and deep and vetivery, and basically perfect for anything that happens in the woods. It might not be quite sophisticated enough, though.

For a little more sophistication (but a little less GC-ness), i'd recommend The Ragged Wood. Lots of good woodsy stuff like juniper, with some florals thrown in. Definitely very sophisticated to my nose.

Searching for my perfect wedding scent is how I discovered bpal! :P

Since I still consider myself a newbie, I can't recommend a scent - but I will suggest going with a GC scent so that you can obtain future bottles pretty easily. That perfect wedding scent (Spellbound for me) is something that I want to reserve wearing for special occasions, but I want to be able to put it on and be reminded of my special day.

Congrats, and have fun searching.

I'm getting married in May and would love to find a BPAL scent to wear on the big day, and I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for something suitable. I'm hoping to find something "sweet and sensual, earthy and sophisticated."

I would recommend L'Ecole de Filles. It is an innocent floral for those who don't "do" florals. It has herbal and forest-y notes in it, so it strikes me as happening upon an exquisitely blooming shrub whilst on a ride through the forest. I favor dude-fume, resins, and green/clean notes generally, but I'm ordering L'Ecole b/c the imp was so fabulous.

I'm getting married this November. The church will be outside the city, on a chapel on a hill, and the reception will be on a cliff overlooking a lake. The theme is Mediterranean/Tuscan, and the motif is lavender and dark green. Any suggestions? :P

My favorite at the moment is Dana O'Shee. Fiance likes it, but likes Black Lace even better.

Edited by charisse

I'm maiden of honor for my sister's wedding next spring, and over the holidays I want to sit down with her and have a solemn look through the catalog since--you guessed it--I want to give her some bridal BPAL to wear on the day. I've given her tons of imps over the years, but I don't know that there's any one scent that's right for the big day. I will probably wear Litha since it's in mid-June, but she's a wild-card (and wild child--y'all should see the gown she designed! I'll post pics when the time comes). Havisham remains my favorite, and I'd wear it if I were the bride, but for a 22-yr-old Bohemian girly like my sis...hm, I wouldn't be surprised if she got out the Glitter I gave her back before it was discontinued.

Follow-up post: well, my sister, darling indecisive girl that she is, never could decide which scent she wanted in advance, so I took a ton of BPAL to the wedding for her and the rest of the party to choose from, then sent a ton of imps along on her honeymoon. We were leaning towards Midsummer Night's Dream scents for a mid-June wedding. She wore Hermia for the rehearsal, which was very her. I wore Titania for the wedding, and the other attendants chose their scents. Then she suddenly decided to layer Queen and Spellbound for the wedding, and it could not have been more dramatic, powerful, and sexy, which is just what she was going for! :P

Hello!

My sister is getting married this August in a fan-tabulous Rajistani themed wedding (in other words, a big fat Indian wedding). Can anyone reccommend an appropriate fragrance? Something exotic, spicy, yet regal and elegant at the same time? After a shameful hiatus, it feels sooooo good to get back into the bpal way of life! I am enabling another friend as I speak.

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated! Cheers.

Hello!

My sister is getting married this August in a fan-tabulous Rajistani themed wedding (in other words, a big fat Indian wedding). Can anyone reccommend an appropriate fragrance? Something exotic, spicy, yet regal and elegant at the same time? After a shameful hiatus, it feels sooooo good to get back into the bpal way of life! I am enabling another friend as I speak.

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated! Cheers.

My first thought was, would any of the Faces of the Heroine suit her? But in GC, my first thoughts were Silk Road, Kubla Khan, or Scheherazade.