Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

SLAUGH
Champaca, black tea, tonka bean, and sassafras.

SNIFFFFFFF. Aaaaaah. Delicious. *cough* HI!

Okay, so first, I should note that the label is misspelled 'Slaugh', which is unfortunate but not debilitating. ^-^ Some confusion may arise as a result, but I assure you, this is the same scent I sniffed at the Will Call.

The main note of this scent is the sassafras -- sweet and rooty and, well, root-beer-like. Perfectly sassafrastastic. Under that is the mild spiciness of the tea -- it's definitely black, almost an Orange Pekoe-like scent -- and the vanillic sweetness of the tonka. It's -wonderful-. The champaca ties it together and makes it a little less herbal. The sassafras dies down after a while, leaving a mild, comforting scent on my wrist that lasts for quite a while, then fades sweetly.

It's not exactly foody, but reminds me most strongly of a very high quality handmade root beer, though less creamy than most root beers are. I love it, I have a bottle of it, and I may consider buying another before they go. It's so good -- if you like root beer scents, give it a try. If you don't, but do like (or amp) champaca, give it a try anyway.

Color-wise, this scent is a deep rich brown with black swirls and a very few white specks. I'd be most inclined to wear it during autumn and winter, when the earth is dark and the greenery is sparse on the trees. Edited by Shollin

I can't really pick out the champaca much, except in the bottle.

This smells like a sweet, dry, almost woody rootbeer. There's some tea in the background and what may be champaca- a dark, soft smell, but not CRAZY CHAMPACA. The whole thing reminds me of the Paduan Killer Swarm ( Except with sassafrass, not spices and minus the nose-stinging nettle and ginger).

I don't need any more, but this is very nice.

Edited by patina

I inhaled deeply straight from the bottle and got lots of my beloved sassafras. On my skin it's a dry sassafrassy scent. The other notes make it seem earthy to me, it's quite nice and comforting. It has great throw and staying power. Overall, a great addition to my sassafras obsession.

Single note root beer! It does warm up and soften a bit after a while, but the sassafras is sitting pretty firmly on top of the other notes, so the tea and the champaca never really get a chance to make an appearance. Makes me think about going across the street for a six pack of IBC...

In bottle: Aiyee! That’s a little intense. This is extremely sassafras dominant, and not in a particularly happy way. It’s making me think of root beer cough drops. The effect is harsh and medicinal while managing to be cloying sweet at the same time. It’s taking me a lot of time to just acclimate to that so I can pick out the other notes properly. I think the black tea is actually intensifying the sassafras, if that makes sense, adding its strength and depth to the sassafras kick, while the champaca is turning it medicinal. Wet: It is better on the skin. There is still a medicinal root beer thing going on, but it’s softer and easier to cope with as it warms. I think the tea is helping now, adding warm depths that turn it more homey. It’s still not quite right, and I’m thinking I would have liked a cedar or pine in place of the champaca, but I could be wrong. Either way, I’m not entirely comfortable smelling this. Given time, the tonka claws it’s way to properly noticeable. Dry: The tea eventually overtakes the sassafras. It’s a fast fader just generally. It’s actually kind of nice on the dry down, as tea dominant scents go, but my skin chemistry does not love thins.

At application, its all "Hello Rootbeer!" Then it starts to dry and other notes come out to play. I don't know what champaca or tonka bean smell like, but I assume its them. I'm not able to pick out any of the tea scent. It ends up being slightly sweet, and herbalish without being all medicinal. Almost like some sort of old-fashioned candy or cough drop,not foody at all. Its quite nice and very unique.

Slaugh is all sassafras all the time on me; I can't pick out any of the other notes. It goes on smelling like a can of root beer soda and then after about five minutes dries down to something less fizzy and wet and more powdery and dry, like root beer bottle caps candies. I prefer Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener for a root beer type of scent (it's creamier smelling on me, where this is dry and powdery).

ETA: This scent hasn't changed much with age, except that it now has a weird undertone that smells like tortillas to me. But mostly it smells similar to root beer oils I've had for soap making. Bottle is going to my sales page.

Edited by Little Bird

In the bottle: root beer! This is sassafras all the way.

Wet on wrist: Still pretty true to the root beer scent, although it's quiet soft, not an in-your-face sort of scent, and I get a little hint of something else below the surface. Can't define anything other than root beer though.

That's pretty much how it stays on me. low-medium throw, lasts pretty long

This one really scared me from the bottle, it was straight up root beer. I was really reluctant to try it but I went for it anyway. There was a really strong root beer smell when it was wet, but it quickly started morphing into licorice. Yeah, totally didn't see that one coming. And then it just started to get softer and softer with a hint of licorice. Very nice.

Slaugh - One of the best BPALs of all time! It opens up with a strong, sweet root beer scent, which I absolutely love, but as it warms up on my skin, the tonka bean and it's golden buttery, vanillic scent really comes out, blends with the earthy champaca (or is that the tea?) and turns into sweet and warm wonderfulness that's a million times better than just the sassafras on its own. It doesn't last as long as I'd like, but it's worth reapplying. This is a massively huge winner for me. :wub2:

I do love both sassafras and root beer so this is all win for me. It's more dry than creamy, very pretty! I'll be interested so see how this layers with some other stuff.

I bought a bottle.

I was expecting total root beer from Slaugh, and it IS very very root-beer-y when wet, but the drydown brings out the champaca and tonka and it's much more subtle and soft. Very pretty! Unfortunately it did a pretty quick fade, but it was nice while it lasted.

oh hello there mr. slaugh, you're looking good today.

in the imp: slightly medicinal. an odd combination of mint and root beer, but it works. really.

wet: pretty much the same. minty root beer.

dry: the tea starts coming forward. it actually reminds me a lot of laudanum, just without the anise/licorice. it stays slightly medicinal, but it makes me think of the pictures of men i kept finding when i was studying the 1920s. i have no idea why. it borders on masculine, but it definitely works for women too. it starts shifting away from mint and root beer to dry herbals and root beer.

the slaugh are angry dead or angry fae, but apparently they smell really good.

Tea, tonka and sassafras. There is a slight root beer quality to it, but mainly it's the tonka and tea notes I'm getting.

Warm, spicy, tasty.

This smells like REAL root beer.

And this also reminds me of the Root Beer Barrel hard candies my grandmother liked.

Also, reminds me of Fentiman's Dandelion and Burdock soda.

I really really wanted to love this one as I LOVE rootbeer and would love to smell like it :) unfortunately my skin chemistry had it's way with this one and turned it into something that smells like a bandaid that had a tad of rootbeer spilled on it :( so so sad

This is evil root beer on first sniff, sparkling with woodsiness. As it dries, the tea becomes a little more prominent, smoothing out the pop of the root beer. The champaca adds a gorgeous smokiness to the blend, which overtakes the sweetness of the other notes. In the end, this is a sweet, woodsy, smoky blend. It's subtle and cool and earthy--very neat.

I get root beer bottle caps. You remember those bottle cap candies when you were a kid? Yep, straight up root beer ones. But I like that. Its a bit more powdery on me than I would prefer, but I like the scent overall. Not a long later either, but it makes me smile, so I don't mind all that much. :)

Creamy but tart sassafras. The tea note is definitely present, while the tonka adds creaminess. While the scent does resemble root beer, it's a tart, spicy kinda root beer. There is also a slight medicinal vibe going on, which I adore. It's also a little woody.

This starts out as a 'dirty' rootbeer, and dries to a somewhat fruity blend. I wasn't really expecting this, and wish it stayed rootbeerish. It's 'OK', but not really me.

holy sassafras! i think i am getting sassafras and maybe the tonka? i am not sure, but this smells like a bubbly root beer with a bit more oomph and strength than other sassafras scents i've tried. not sure what's doing it, the tea or the tonka, but it's amped up on my skin. sadly, i get no champaca at all.