Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
edenssixthday

Licorice Bats

LICORICE BATS
Black licorice with cacao nibs and anise.

Licorice Bats - When I first apply this, I'm disappointed and think it's the first licorice scent I didn't love. When first applied, it's ultra-sweet, and the cocoa note gives off a weird dry scent that doesn't seem to blend well with the licorice. But 10 minutes later, when I sniff my skin again, it's become a lovely, gorgeous, beautiful, fantastic licorice scent. The cocoa is still there, but rather than simply not blending well with the licorice, it's now providing a really nice base for the licorice. The smell kind of reminds me of what it might taste like to eat a Mike & Ike along with a tiny bit of Tootsie Roll at the same time. It's definitely candy-sweet, yet grounded with a dry cocoa. I love it. :heart:

What's this? Cherry cordials?

I may be insane, because this smells exactly like some raspberry-flavored licorice I had once. It's very sweet and there's some dry cocoa/ tootsie roll rounding it out. Not sure if it's something I want to smell like, but it's delicious.

Edited by patina

bottle: this is strong cacao with a touch of anise on first sniff. very, very strong cocoa.

wet: the anise amps way up once applied, this is somewhat similar to kabuki on my skin, but more cocoa-y.

dry: as this dries, the anise becomes more crisp and fresh-smelling. this is probably going to become one of my favorite anise scents.

Wet, this smells like Arak (one of the worst drinking experiences I ever had). On my skin, it's like a bowl of black jellybeans. A few minutes later, I smelled cocoa which surprised me because I didn't remember that was one of the notes. It's delicious but didn't last long.

This is a very straighforward scent, licorice/anise with cocoa when wet, more licorice in the midstage, and cocoa in the dry stage. I also swear I get a hint of cherry in the wet stage too. I'm glad I took a chance on this, because I quite like it, even if the wearlength is too short (just a few hours!) :vamp:

Oh how I love Anise/Licorice blends! And this one does not disappoint.

Sniffing the bottle, it's a yummy deep black licorice scent.

Applied to my skin, it starts out a perfect balance of cocoa and licorice. As it dries, the cocoa fades away and I am left with a still very lovely soft licorice scent on my skin.

Two thumbs up from me! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

in the bottle I get almost a cherry chocolate boozy smell. Definatley good.

On me I get chocolate and licorice. Super yummy! Will probably be getting a second bottle of this!

This is amazing! The licorice is ruthless and I just want to lick the bottle. And it smells even better once it's on my skin. Sharp, sweet black licorice with that undercurrent that reminds me of the texture of raisins. Sort of sticky and gummy/paste-like. But bright and lifting. It's a tiny bit medicinal too, which I'm guessing is the anise. The cacao is very alluring and pure. It has that identifiable chocolate fragrance without being milky or sugary at all. Very smooth and dry. Reigns in all the high notes of the licorice and keeps it very sexy and mysterious.

I had actually forgotten that this had cacoa in it.. and when I leaned in for that first smell after applying, I was a bit taken aback! My first thought was "wow - this smells like licorice chocolate!!". Then I checked the notes and realised I has the dumbs :D

This is one of those BPALs that smells pretty much like you hoped it would when you read the notes. It's licorice mostly, with the dark chocolatey richness of cacoa dancing around the licorice - but the nice thing about cacoa is that it adds a lovely dusky chocolate rather than the creamy gourmand kind of chocolate. The anise adds a nice organic warmness and stops the licorice being too obvious - although I guess Licorice Bats falls into the 'foody' category, I think the anise stops it from being too candy-like. I could have sworn there's some dark vanilla in here, but it's not listed in the notes so maybe not.

This just may be my perfect licorice BPAL for me - finally! I wanted to love Humbug, but it was just too much licorice for me.. way too strong and cloying, sadly. Licorice Bats gives me the gorgeous licorice/anise that I love, but the addition of cacoa is genius! My favourite Weenie so far :thumbsup:

I love this so much! :wub2:

In bottle: Black licorice...yay! The label is adorable....one of my favorites.

Wet on skin: Black licorice and something that makes it smell like the bridge mix candy licorice nonpareils and neopolitans. It's my favorite candy.

Dry on skin: Now the cacoa is coming out a little bit...soft and velvety.

Verdict: I smelled this prototype at the August will call and promptly ordered a bottle and boy am I glad I did! I love this more than Pink Mood which I didn't think was possible. I'm sorely tempted to purchase a back up.

I really, really like this. There's no real morphing, from application through drydown. It's warm black licorice and a slight sweetening of cocoa. This smells like those scented markers you can buy, or remember those pencils you could get in the early 90s that had the scents to them? With the scented erasers? I know that sounds strange, but if anyone else remembers those, as soon as I sniffed this, I was taken back to being 10 years old and wanting to gnaw on my plastic retractable pencil. Sooo good. Sweet, without being overly so. I do wish it lasted longer on the skin, but it's amazing while it lasts. I actually find myself craving this scent now. I'm sure I'll grab a backup before these go away, because I really do love this scent.

I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Licorice Bats is so cute. It's dark, but totally smells like playful Halloween treats. It kinda reminds me of the chocolate covered blueberries that my family used to buy that were covered in a rich chocolate and a hard shell coating of some sort. It has a dry, rich hint of fruitiness to it somehow and a really decadent chocolate that's sweet but not full-on milk chocolate smelling on my skin. I think that the licorice might be what I'm getting the fruity tones from, because it doesn't smell intensely black licorice-y on me. I love anise heavy scents like Le Père Fouettard, and the black licorice here doesn't remind me of that at all.

This isn't the intense black licorice and dark chocolate scent that I was expecting; it's more lighthearted and slightly fruity. Still, I'm really happy to have a bottle of this (it just won't replace Le Père Fouettard for my sexy black licorice scent).

I think that Licorice Bats is the sleeper hit of the 2010 weenies.

I wasn't even planning on picking this scent up, but a random sniff at NYCC made me curious enough to buy the bottle.

Normally my skin takes anise seed and runs with it. But with the bats, it's got a nice dousing of cacao to avoid the heavy anise seed scent. It's smooth chocolate with spice and a dash of anise/licorice. It plays constantly on my skin, starting very sharp then drying down to sweet, then turning back up a bit. A really really great scent.

This goes from a heavy blast of cocoa to a heavy blast of licorice to a soft and sweet scent. Very nice!

This is like licorice, cherries and cocoa on me and I am so glad I took the plunge and went for a big bottle. The licorice note sings and yet isn't overpowering at all. I very much like this one :)

Licorice Bats

Most of my friends hate black licorice. I love it. So I had to get Licorice Bats!

It captures the smell of black licorice amazingly well. In the bottle and when first applied, the cocoa is rich and warm, and there's almost a cherry-like note. As it dries, it smells like pure sweet licorice on my skin. I love it, and want to eat my arm (a common problem with foodies!)

I like it. unexpected :wink:

I now smell as a GIANT licorice candy thingy :tongue: cool!

edit: smells very sim ilar to Lysander I think!

Edited by lunaticana

Black licorice and cocoa. It's straightforward and divine. I don't usually even like black licorice but this one piqued my interest for some reason and I'm so glad I went for it and ordered a bottle. I LOVE the licorice note and the cocoa makes is so soft and smooth. This is probably my favorite of all the weenies thus far. :wub2:

Mmm, yes, this is anise/licorice and cocoa (which separates out like crazy) all right--straightforward and delicious! Doesn't seem to have great staying power but I'm going to shake it up a little more since it was so separated and try again. ITA that it's a bit like a Tootsie Roll!

This is very tootsie roll like! Hmmm very interesting. There is a note of black licorice in here but not as much as I was hoping for. My skin amps the chocolate notes in here. This ens up being a dusty, dry cocoa on my skin. This is very pretty and yummy but chocolate very rarely works on my skin. Also, you really need to shake this bottle up...the chocolate likes to settle to the bottom.

In the bottle - Licorice and blackberries

Wet on me - Bright, dark licorice with a hint of underlying fruit

Dry on me - Clean, clear licorice with a deep cocoa undertone

Overall - Very interesting. I think I need to retest when my cold has gone

Soft delicious licorice, hint of cocoa and blackberries (is that you anise?). The anise gets stronger as it dries but it just adds to the licorice aspect of it.

Anise and licorice can be so harsh, but this one is very soft and very wearable. I am pleasantly surprised. This is very delicious.

I was really kind of hesitant to try this blend, as in the bottle, the licorice and cocoa really doesn't go together well in my books. I have bought licorice/chocolate candies before, (they were on sale!) and to me, they tasted terrible. On, I don't really get the cocoa, just a warm, sweet licorice. It basically smells like Nibs now, a rich 'real' licorice, if that makes sense. Not like the less licoricey twizzlers. After a bit, I do get a faint, dusty chocolate, but the licorice still dominates. This is really something that I wouldn't wear, but fun to try!

I want to make it clear that I'm actually not a fan of black licorice as a rule. My boyfriend bought this bottle and, being a good BPALer I feel it my duty to review it. But by all means take my review with a grain of salt if you're a fan of anise et al...

In the bottle: The cocoa dominates. A variation of the lovely, dry cocoa from Gelt: not sweet or milky like Bliss- just Cocoa. The licorice is in the background but I find I don't mind it.

Wet on skin: The licorice comes to the fore a bit, but there's balance. I find I'm hopeful, even. :)

Drydown: This is turning out to be a real morpher, with the dominant note changing every few minutes. Sometimes it smells exactly like chocolate-covered licorice nibs, then it switches to a ghastly NyQuil-intense black licorice, then all the anise elements fade back and the dry cocoa emerges once more. On and on it goes...

In All: I'm really glad I tried this, actually. I recognize that this scent isn't for me, but I'm interested to see how it differs on my boyfriend's skin, as I have a feeling that his chemistry could turn this into something less cold-remedy and more sexy than it seems on my skin.

:D

Hmmm, not my cup of tea. First off, I really don't like black licorice or anise and although the both are combined with cacao (which helps to temper it)it just doesn't meld with my skin chemistry. I have to admit that both anise and black licorice are usually LOUD notes, this blend was a softened version of them.