Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Ginger Skulls

Zingy crystallized ginger candies with quince and Asian pear.

Y'know what this is on me? Candy Phoenix. Candy Phoenix, with a hint of sharpness/soapiness from the ginger to tone down the sweetness. It's nice, but I'm not sure if I need both. I think this calls for a deathmatch. :)

Ooooh, this is lovely, and much fruitier than I expected. The pear and quince are dominant to my nose, and it's only later that the sweetened spiciness of the ginger appears. This becomes lovely gingery pear candy--the kind that comes in a tin, redolent with powdered sugar. It's not spicy at all, in the end. Delicious!

In the bottle - Unsurprisingly, crystallised ginger

Wet on me - A very fresh, fruity ginger with touches of sugar

Dry on me - A surprisingly deep, smokey, ginger

Overall - It didn't really grab me

Sharp and sickly sweet - in the bottle, wet on my skin and for hours afterwards. The only good thing is that the "blech" factor receeded as it started to fade and become a bit more tolerable. Almost as bad as Candy Phoenix, but slightly better in that I could actually wear the scent.

Blech.

Holy crap. Is this Candy Phoenix? I really get a ton of sugar and quince. On wet, I get a hit of pear but it dries to a sugary candy mess. The ginger comes out during the drydown but it's more of a sweet scent than I expected.

Sugary, sweet, ginger.

I remember seeing and sniffing this proto long before I even knew there would be a tp inquisition this year. I was so excited because even though I love Sugar Skull, I almost never wear it because it is the only bpal that I have ever worn where I got a negative reaction because it was so strong. Ginger Skulls is different from Sugar Skull, but has a similar vibe that is not quite so intense.

This is a soft, super sugary ginger candies scent with a touch of tart pear sniffing it from the bottle--looove it!

Yep, this is lovely on my skin as well! Definitely a similar vibe to Sugar Skull, but not so strong. Love the ginger candy note-and the zingy tartness of the pear! This smells amazing!

Yep, total love! Wore this all day-it did need a few reapplications, but gawd, it smells good. So happy I found something similar to Sugar Skull that is a bit more wearable for me!

In the imp: very sweet, spicy pear with a hint of quince.

Wet: Immediate hit of candy sweetness, no ginger at all. Goes to strong pear, but no spice or cinnamon for me from this. Since I was hoping for some ginger spice, or hints of cinnamon, sad now.

Drydown: Fades to plain pear, pleasant enough but more of a room scent for me than a perfume. Barely noticeable after less than 20 minutes, fades very quickly.

Will keep my partial decant, because it's pretty. But not enough love for a bottle purchase.

Ginger Skulls - I was hoping this would be more ginger and less everything else. Rather, it's mostly quince on me, with a hint of sweet pear, and the barest trace of spicy ginger. It's very sweet in a candied way, and something in it sadly gains a bit of a plastic-like on my skin after only a few minutes of wear. After 45 minutes, I can't find a trace of it on my skin. It fades quickly.

OMG so good. It's tart and sweet, juicy and spicy. :wub2: Love. The pear, quince and ginger really meld together.

In the bottle: Ginger, sugar, and those fruits.

Wet: Zowie! The ginger is amping to high heaven! Did not expect this.

The dry-down: The ginger has backed off, but the fruit has come forward. It's okay, but it doesn't seem as though the ginger candy and these fruits mix well on my skin. This may have to be a scent locket scent. I don't know what it is, but BPAL's ginger note doesn't work on my skin that well. :(

Quince, by the way, is a fruit related to apples and pears, and the Asian pear is a pear that is shaped like an apple. Even regular grocery stores will have Asian pears in stock (I do like the crunch and the taste), but quince is a bit more rare and thus exotic.

Wet to dry, this is juicy, fruity fruit, mostly quince. I don't think I've ever smelled such a fruity blend from the lab. It's so fruity, it's almost a 'fake' fruit, as in a quince Slurpee or jelly bellies. This really reminds me of Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand, only it is much more quince. I get NO ginger to speak of, which is kind of disappointing. All in all, this is not for me, but if you like quince, I would give this one a try.

Pear and quince in the decant, but the ginger turns it into a SweetTart sort of scent on me; powdery fruit, and it fades quick. Not quite for me, and I like Sugar Skull better, methinks.

On: Mostly pear and quince, with a bit of ginger.
Half an hour in: Hot ginger and sweet fruits.
1 hour in: Just hot ginger.
1.5 hours in: A bit of spicy ginger, but mostly just a warm scent.
4.5 hours in: Faint. Warm.
5 hours in: Pretty much gone.
Overall: I don't like how hot the ginger is in this.

Wet: ooh I like this way more than I expected. The asian pear and quince are awesome additions and actually smooth out the ginger slightly.

Drydown: smooth creamy fruity ginger candy. This is really uplifting and energizing. Debating the search for a bottle.

Smells like pear and ginger in the bottle. I was expecting it to be sweet, but it isn't.

I also expected a lot of ginger, but this goes from a nice pear ginger blend with some spice in it to a soapy powder on my skin.

It doesn't last very long. I may try it in a locket because I like the smell of it in the vial.

Gah! I thought this would be fantastic. A gingery Sugar Skull, perhaps? NO. Not at all. It's quince and ginger and something about the combination turns my stomach--which is odd since ginger is supposed to be soothing. So sad.

Decanted by Little Bird, thank you!

In the decant: Adorable and candy-sweet. I can smell all three parts, and I love them--I recognize the quince from Alice's Evidence, and Asian pear is one of my favorite fruits.

On me, wet: Softer than I thought it would be. The ginger doesn't dominate as much as I thought it would. As a matter of fact, most of what I'm smelling is sugary Asian pear with a nice backdrop of gingery spice and quince. Ginger comes out to play a little later, though, and as ginger is my skin's best friend, it perks up the blend nicely, whereas it'd come off as so shy before! Oh whoa, that sure is some ginger. I barely smell the Asian pear anymore, but that's what you get from a blend where the ginger is in the name, right? :lol: It's such a cute blend, sweet and peppy and exactly like the description says--"zingy".

On me, dry: Yep, ginger and quince. Asian pear is pretty much gone. A fun, sweet little scent I'm definitely going to hang onto.

At first, this went on all sharp ginger, with a slight dusting of rock sugar. Sweet, but mostly biting ginger. After a while, though, this went a little musty/dusty and lost all of its sweetness. I think, over time, my bottle has lost the quince and Asian pear and is trying to be all-ginger all-the-time.

After about eight hours, the musty/dusty resolved itself into a floral. ... What? I'm really confused as to what this is doing on my skin. Might swap away this half-bottle and keep the decant I have, just to make sure that it isn't weird skin chemistry issues.

So, I bought a bottle of Ginger Skulls when it first came out and I sold it, but I don't remember why I didn't like it, because the notes sounded good to me all over again! I re-bought it (this time in a partial with only a small amount of oil remaining), and am determined to actually review it this time. o_o

In the bottle, it's fruity. Almost boozy. I'm not familiar with quince as a fruit, although I have tried other scents with it as a note, and I think I recognize it here. The fruits here are definitely in the apple/pear/similar category, yellowish-green. Yikes, I just dabbed a big blob on my arm, more than I had been planning to test with, but it'll do I guess. I think what I was disappointed with last time was mainly the lack of ginger - and, indeed, I'm still not getting much ginger in the sharp and spicy sense (I really like "hot" ginger), but there is definitely some spice underlaying the Asian pear and quince. It reminds me of a mushy cooked fruit with spices sprinkled on top. I think this may just be a blend I need to slather, because I recall it being pretty light on me, but I can smell it well now (although, like I said, a big blob of oil came out).

Overall, I don't think I need to seek out more than my new very low bottle, but I'm glad I got the chance to re-test it and actually record my impressions this time.

Edited by sunlitgarden

purchased from chromeoxide!

In bottle: Ginger candy and red kool-aid? This is a sugar rush in a bottle.

On Skin: A warm spiced baking scent, like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger pie crust.

Drydown: This is my grandmother's peach pie recipe- all creamy, spiced, sweet fruit.

Verdict: A great scent to get in a baking mood, just in time for the holidays! I do love this scent. I'd read that some people likened this to Sugar Skulls, so I'm thinking maybe I should get my paws on some of that for comparison :D

B I expected so much more from this. It's mainly just sweet with a tiny undercurrent of ginger. It doesn't morph much, mainly just sugar and light ginger the whole way through.

After a bit the sweetness does go a little less generic, hinting at the pear and quince notes, which saves it from going completely on the swap pile!

It does last forever though!

sadly this is a skin fail for me - I adore ginger, but this goes all "weird fruit" on me. I have difficulty with some of the lab's fruit notes, and it appears this one just doesn't agree with my chemistry!

A very sweet and candied ginger, with sweet and candied pears. A friend gave me a decant of this, and it is intriguing my brain today. In the bottle, it is almost a fake potpourri sort of smell, but on the skin that odd fakeness goes away and the scents resolve into ginger and fruit. There also seems to be a slight honey note in there, at least on me. It is VERY sweet - folks looking for a dark complex ginger should look elsewhere. But it is so very cheerful, that one cannot wish for it to be anything other than what it is.