Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Ginger Skulls

GINGER SKULLS
Zingy crystallized ginger candies with quince and Asian pear.

bottle: reminds me of sugar skull. very sweet, lightly flowery but with a zing of spice.

wet: once applied i can really smell the quince! this is really lovely! soft and fruity, a bit sugary and just the right amount of spice.

dry: as this dries, it gets a bit less sugary yet a bit more spicy. it's a nice quince and sweet ginger scent on my skin.

I missed out on last year's gingery Inquisition scent, but this year I had the funds so snapped this up right away. I was hoping it would be heavy on the ginger candy, with a bit of fruit on the side. As the Will-Call reviews warned me, though, it turned out pretty much the opposite.

Lots of pear mixed with reddish-toned quince, and a bit of spice on the side. I like the fruits involved when they're not keeping me from my ginger, so I'll put this aside and come back to it when the disappointment has faded.

(Crystallized ginger is my favorite candy of all! Sigh ...)

Ginger Skulls is not very sweet on me, but it's similar to Sugar Skull. I slathered it on my arm and smelled the beautiful quince, and a dry ginger. I didn't get much pear, which is ok with me. The spices are just right...anything more and this would be craft-store. I think this will be perfect to layer with my Invasion of the Flesh Eating Reindeer from Uranus. Mmmm I love ginger. :wub2:

Ginger Skulls is a winner. Lots of throw and staying power on me.

In the bottle I get the zingy ginger and a fruitiness. I'm not totally sure what quince should smell like but I definitely detect it and the Asian Pear. On my skin it becomes fruitier and pretty much stays that way. The ginger sort of hangs out in the background, it's not totally overshadowed but isn't the strongest note on my skin. Really pretty scent, really happy to have a bottle.

I was hoping to get more ginger out of this, but I'm not disappointed that the result turns out to be spicy pear instead. It starts off a bit sweet and artificial, but dries down to a really gorgeous blend. I need to order a bottle immediately.

I was hoping for more ginger, like in Shub, but alas I get almost no ginger. It's all soapy pear on me. Perhaps I need to let this one sit for a while and try it again.

Ginger Skulls is all sweet pear on me. I really don't smell ginger here at all, but it's still really delicious. It's like a ripe, juicy, creamy pear and completely different from any other scents I've tried. The only scent I can think of that it's remotely similar to is Perilous Parlor, but it's different enough to love. I only wish it lasted longer.

In bottle: It is very craft shop in autumn. The ginger is dominant, with the quince a close second. It is a lot weaker than I expected. It’s certainly autumnal, in a cozy sort of way. Wet: Not much throw. The elements really blend into each other on the skin, each standing out less, but creating and interesting whole. The ginger is still strongest, but is much more at one with the fruit. It’s more foody now, and less craft store. It’s nice enough, but simply not that exciting. I keep wanting something more out of it, maybe more bite and less sugar. Dry: Dried fruit mostly with the ginger softening to a hint of ginger candy. It’s a decussated and a little spicy and autumnal. It’s not my thing, but it could easily be someone else’s.

Gah! I wanted to love Ginger Skulls. I got ginger right away and really thought it would be my new signature scent but it faded to a mixed mesh of I don't know what... fake plastic ginger, pear, quince? I'm truly sad about this one. :cry2:

~

I had such high hopes for Ginger Skulls, but mostly I get bath oil cloying fruits that induce a headache. And it lasts forever, including through a shower!

I'm going to give it another couple of tries, but I think this is going in the swap pile :(

I was really hoping for a gingery, but sweet scent, but having read the reviews, I was more prepared. On, this is to me the sexiest, most adult fruity scent ever. I get a light spicy plum!!! (Told you my skin was weird.)

I think the ginger keeps this from getting too sweet. And spices it up.

It's not the scent I was thinking of but it's sure the scent I love. Definite bottle.

ETA 2/15/19:

This was a long neglected scent on me and I tried it on because I'm planning a major de-stash. This stays.

The pear and quince are now an old married couple, and the gingery spice girl but a whispered memory. But this isn't fruity so much as approaching delicate flowery sophistication. My kind of femininity. And sillage for days. LOVE

This isn't like any other BPAL I've tried that has a ginger note, and I love ginger, so I've tried most of them! In here, the ginger is candy-sweet without being fake or overly sugary - it's definitely a candy type of ginger though, not the warm/spicy kind of ginger. However, I feel that the way it's blended with the quince and pear make it lose its identity slightly - it kinda gets lost in the mix somehow, which is a little disappointing. I think the quince actually flattens out the sparkly aspect of the ginger.

The pear is also different to other BPALs like Perilous Parlor for example - here, it's less sweet and bright.. more waxy, a little powdery, and slightly floral-y. I'm not sure it's entirely the pear's fault though - I think the quince has a lot to answer for in this blend, its fruitiness seems to dominate the other notes a bit too much and it's adding a slightly soapy feel to the whole thing.

So.. this is a very nice scent, I was hoping for a more zingy kind of ginger, just a bit 'more' ginger overall really. I really enjoyed the first few minutes when it was still wet, but ultimately it dries down and becomes quite soft and subdued. I've had it on for four hours now, and it's lost all its brightness - all I have left is a waxy/soapy generic fruit smell. I do like it, but I don't love it.. and I really was hoping to love it. The lack of zing from the ginger is a dealbreaker for me, unfortunately.

I wont lie. I am heartbroken over this one.

I completely expected to love this one, sadly it was utter and epic fail on me. :cry2:

I didn't get any ginger whatsoever. I got something fruity which I can only guess its the pear and then there is another unfamiliar scent which is sharp and something else I really cant find the word for.

I will test it one more time, but I am sure the outcome will be the same *sighs* :cry2:

I don't think that this smells similar to Sugar Skull at all. I don't really get a strong ginger feel from it either, though it does have a delicate spiciness to it (reminds me more of cinnamon, though). Ginger Skulls mostly smells like wildflower honey and sweet pear on me, with a light spiciness warming the scent up. I'm not sure where I'm getting that honeyed impression from :/.

This scent is okay, but maybe a bit too sweet for me.

This one stays delightfully the same on my skin as it is in the bottle: Fresh, gently tart fruits warmed up with the zing of ginger and with just enough sugar to marry everything together. Bright and delicious, I'm so glad I got a bottle of this one!

For anyone looking for layering opportunities, I tried Ginger Skulls with Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple and had to restrain myself from gnawing on my arm. Fruity-spicy-sweet-fall YUM. :joy:

Ginger Skulls goes from zingy, fruity and happy to soapy with a hint of fruity. I was expecting more from this scent.

The pear note is very strong on me and overpowers the ginger and other notes. It is pleasant though. It reminds me a lot of the white pear note in Juliet. Yum.

I LOVE ginger scents! Especially ones with fruity notes as well. Baobhan Sith is one of my faves. This one is going to be too!

In the bottle: Fruity with a hint of spice the ginger is more in the background.

Wet: Here comes the spice! But it's still fruity enough that it's a sweet warm fragrance on me.

Dry down: Exactly the same as when wet! AND it lasted ALL DAY on me. I'm glad I got this!

Source: decant

In the decant: rich, spicy fruit

Wet: Pear and quince predominant, with just a tiny hint of spice in the background. It's not very gingery. I'd say it reminds me more of cinnamon.

Dry: The spice comes out a bit more, but not enough. I wanted this to be ginger predominant, but alas, no.

I have to say that this was a huge disappointment for me. As other reviewers have said, and I am going to echo here, I was hoping for more ginger.

In the bottle: Sweet flinstones vitamins? and powdery. Not a good sign.

Wet: Okay, there is the pear - this could get better.

Dry: Powder disaster. I think that it might be that I can't wear Asian Pear. I ended up with a similar problem with Kitsune Tsuki - which I love in the bottle bet can't wear at all.

Overall, the fact that this did not even smell good to me in the bottle is reason enough to be sad. Skin chemistry issues can be solved by a scent locket. Oh well, just not for me.

In the decant, I smelled lots of that fresh BPAL ginger--beautiful! Once this dried on me though I got nothing but quince and the faintest, faintest breath of the remaining ginger. The quince is tart but it's also a bit...watery? It just smells like something's missing. It's not bad but it's a bit boring.

Similarly to others who have posted, I don't get any of the ginger note either in the bottle or on my skin. It is all pear and quince. It is still lovely but I am definitely missing the ginger. I expected the ginger note to be dominant given the scent name.