Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
binkyboots

Leather

Anyone have any recs for anything similar to the beautiful leather note in Adam? I really love how it's a strong leather note, but melds well with the other notes to create a complex, gorgeous scent!

Neither Black Rider or Kroenen really worked on me or smelled leathery (amber and myrrh are death notes though for my chemistry, so it's not a surprise) and although they weren't bad I didn't get any leather at all from Crowley or Funnel of Love. I recently tried Red Rider, but it was a bit too much leather- it was like a single note of flat, strong suede, like I was dressed head to toe in rawhide.

Spanked and Hans Trapp are both great, but they're hard to find in more than imp form. I also love Le Pere Fouttard, but I don't actually get much leather from it.

Is Rogue maybe a good bet? Is Whip super floral?

On me, Whip is all floral and no leather. I've never tried Rogue, so I'm sorry I can't help there. My favorite leather-dominant blends are Perversion and Haute Macabre (a little harder to find, but there are still some for sale in the sale/swaps threads). Jolly Roger has an awesome leather note on me, but it's equal players with salt and wood. Also, not sure if you're interested but I have a bottle of Spanked (the 2011 version) that is looking for a new home if you're interested in swapping (I can also include a decant of The Book from Paranorman, which is like a dusty leather).

Anyone have any recs for anything similar to the beautiful leather note in Adam? I really love how it's a strong leather note, but melds well with the other notes to create a complex, gorgeous scent!

Neither Black Rider or Kroenen really worked on me or smelled leathery (amber and myrrh are death notes though for my chemistry, so it's not a surprise) and although they weren't bad I didn't get any leather at all from Crowley or Funnel of Love. I recently tried Red Rider, but it was a bit too much leather- it was like a single note of flat, strong suede, like I was dressed head to toe in rawhide.

Spanked and Hans Trapp are both great, but they're hard to find in more than imp form. I also love Le Pere Fouttard, but I don't actually get much leather from it.

Is Rogue maybe a good bet? Is Whip super floral?

I also have problems with amber and myrrh, and Black Rider was too powdery to work on me. While Rogue smelled like leather and pine in the vial it went amber-y on my skin, super sweet and powdery and no leather at all.

I also have problems with amber and myrrh, and Black Rider was too powdery to work on me. While Rogue smelled like leather and pine in the vial it went amber-y on my skin, super sweet and powdery and no leather at all.

Oh, I'm glad it isn't just me that Black Rider failed on, (Or that has trouble with amber or myrrh) since everyone keeps on recommending it but I got nothing from it.

Boo about Rogue, though, it sounds so promising with the leather and pine...

On me, Whip is all floral and no leather. I've never tried Rogue, so I'm sorry I can't help there. My favorite leather-dominant blends are Perversion and Haute Macabre (a little harder to find, but there are still some for sale in the sale/swaps threads). Jolly Roger has an awesome leather note on me, but it's equal players with salt and wood. Also, not sure if you're interested but I have a bottle of Spanked (the 2011 version) that is looking for a new home if you're interested in swapping (I can also include a decant of The Book from Paranorman, which is like a dusty leather).

Aww, that was exactly I was hoping you wouldn't say about Whip. I don't hate rose, but florals are not really my favorite at the best of time. I have a feeling I tried Perversion a very long time ago, but I don't remember it at all so I will try again since the notes sound great.

Jolly Roger sounds awesome, as does Haute Macabre, and I haven't tried either. (Though apparently The Marquis de Carabas is similar, so maybe I will see if that's easier to find). I have to dig out my Spanked imp and retest because I have a feeling I liked the leather note but the rest was a bit too much Christmas spices for me, but I will PM you if it works on me!

Maybe Wanda? On me the florals aren't overt and ends up a wine and leather type scent.

Or perhaps Marquis de Carabas? This scent has gotten mixed reviews but on my skin it hits just the right midpoint, leather wise. Not super strong but its still there.

I love Wanda but for me it's all wine. But I am usually the odd man out.

Perversion is amazing. I don't get the leather super strong, it seems to be a particular type leather, sort of like the one in Leather Phoenix.

Has anyone mentioned Kubla Khan? I find the leather very smooth in that.

I have Creeper Dragon coming, so curious about green leather!

Edited by stellamaris

I haven't tried Adam, but Prosperous Flowers of the Elegant Twelve Seasons from the Lupers is amazing. Very well-blended leather amid a bunch of sexy honey, vanilla and incense. One of the best "even-handed" leathers I've smelled, ever.

Rogue smelled very perfume-y and generic to me, even though it had the leather in it. Maybe it will read differently on your skin, though.

I haven't tried Adam, but Prosperous Flowers of the Elegant Twelve Seasons from the Lupers is amazing. Very well-blended leather amid a bunch of sexy honey, vanilla and incense. One of the best "even-handed" leathers I've smelled, ever.

Rogue smelled very perfume-y and generic to me, even though it had the leather in it. Maybe it will read differently on your skin, though.

Oh man, reading the reviews of "Prosperous Flowers" is making we want to blind bottle it since Lupers are coming down on Monday! Is it more of a brown or black leather? From the other notes I'm guessing brown...

Oh man, reading the reviews of "Prosperous Flowers" is making we want to blind bottle it since Lupers are coming down on Monday! Is it more of a brown or black leather? From the other notes I'm guessing brown...

Yes, definitely a soft and supple brown leather vs heavier black. Highly recommend it if you like the other notes. :)

Maybe Wanda? On me the florals aren't overt and ends up a wine and leather type scent.

Or perhaps Marquis de Carabas? This scent has gotten mixed reviews but on my skin it hits just the right midpoint, leather wise. Not super strong but its still there.

Hmmm. I'm going to put Wanda on my list! I just picked up a half-imp of the Marquis, and I'm crossing my fingers because the notes sound great.

I love the Marquis. I blind bought Adam expecting them to be similar, and they aren't are all to my nose. Both are extremely gorgeous, but in very different ways. Enjoy the marquis! I hope it scratches the leather itch.

Throwing out some love for Olisbos before the Lupers go down--fruity, olive-y leather!

Also just tried Le Pere Fouettard (Yule 2013), which is one of the more interesting leathers I've encountered...foody leather?

Edited by delighted

I think my skin eats leather. I get none from Whip and I have been noticing it tends to disappear from other blends. I just tried White Rider today and it started off a wonderful leather then poof it was gone! Maybe I should have slathered more but I only have an imp and my technique is to test a few times under various conditions. Anyone else have leather disappear on them??

Has anyone mentioned Tarasque yet? To me it is a very beautiful, but understated spicy leather :smile:

Are they selling it in bottles yet?

Resurrecting this thread to sing the praises of Marquis de Carabas - my skin amps leather to the point where it often drowns out other notes, but the leather in the Marquis is soft and worn and broken in (just like his coat) enough and the spicy-sweet bay-rum-and-opium strong enough that I get a lovely, snuggly blend of the two.

Outlaw might be my new favourite leather scent! Wet, it's al creamy root beer, but dry (on me) it's an amazing worn leather and creamy vanilla sugar scent. SO. GOOD. Can't wait to get a bottle of it.

I'm looking for more feminine scents with a light leather note and a competing vanillic component. Anyone with recommendations beyond Liz, Amaterasu v3, and Clockwork Couture: Female?

The only things I'm not keen to smell with these two notes are anise/sarsaparilla/liquorice and anything too woodsy, piney, minty, nutty or citric. I also am not too keen on masculine scens (such as Disrespect for Established Authority).

Edited by celestia

I'm looking for more feminine scents with a light leather note and a competing vanillic component. Anyone with recommendations beyond Liz, Amaterasu v3, and Clockwork Couture: Female?

The only things I'm not keen to smell with these two notes are anise/sarsaparilla/liquorice and anything too woodsy, piney, minty, nutty or citric. I also am not too keen on masculine scens (such as Disrespect for Established Authority).

Bow and Crown of Conquest is a snuggly vanilla-leather on me, but the sage and lavender notes might make it more herbal/masculine than you're looking for.

Bow and Crown of Conquest is a snuggly vanilla-leather on me, but the sage and lavender notes might make it more herbal/masculine than you're looking for.

I think Bow and Crown also has cedar which I cannot wear...and it's a shame too because there are so many beautiful blends out there with it :(

I probably should have mentioned my aversion to herbal notes too, haha thanks for reminding me!

Edited by celestia

Haute Macabre maybe? it is not super feminine on me but not super masculine either.

Badgers is a favorite of mine! It does have sarsaparilla in it but it doesn't come out on my skin at all (or in the bottle either). All I smell with Badgers is patchouli, leather, honeysuckle, and vanilla.

Witch Riding a Dragon?

@mollison and @sprout

Thanks so much for these recommendations! Patchouli tends to side with the "masculine" end on me and I think I only have a few scents that contain it because of the association. Would you say the patchouli in these are light and feminine? ;D

Edited by celestia

Wait, is Amaterasu v3 a leather scent?