Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
binkyboots

Leather

No love for Le Pere Fouettard? Also check out Doc Constantine, Havana, Violens, Wanda, and The Traveller. If you somehow find either Le Pere or Traveller, please let me buy a decant.

Haute Macabre is really close to Western Diamondback, the closest I've found.

Lots of love for Le Pere... sadly it was almost impossible to find not too long after it came down even. I ordered it right before it came down and then fell madly in love and await its return every Yule now :P I was so hopeful the solider would be similar... and it's lovely in its own right... but no where near the same ballpark of love.

Also love for Jareth. Even my friend who has hated everything I have put on him over the years fell madly in love with it. It's totally a leathered dorian.

Wanda is love, though I've always found it stronger on the wine than the leather. It's a black rubbery leather, rather than the tan like in western diamondback.

Also Goblin Sack smelled so good I need to fork over the monies soon. It was leather and sweetness like le pere... but hazelnut instead of licorice.

Edited by tativa

No love for Le Pere Fouettard? Also check out Doc Constantine, Havana, Violens, Wanda, and The Traveller. If you somehow find either Le Pere or Traveller, please let me buy a decant.

Haute Macabre is really close to Western Diamondback, the closest I've found.

Lots of love for Le Pere... sadly it was almost impossible to find not too long after it came down even. I ordered it right before it came down and then fell madly in love and await its return every Yule now :P I was so hopeful the solider would be similar... and it's lovely in its own right... but no where near the same ballpark of love.

Also love for Jareth. Even my friend who has hated everything I have put on him over the years fell madly in love with it. It's totally a leathered dorian.

Wanda is love, though I've always found it stronger on the wine than the leather. It's a black rubbery leather, rather than the tan like in western diamondback.

Also Goblin Sack smelled so good I need to fork over the monies soon. It was leather and sweetness like le pere... but hazelnut instead of licorice.

Did you say LEATHERED DORIAN!?!?!?!?!?!? :joy:

Ooo gurl you're in my territory now, leather is my jam :P Rich and dirty you say?

You definitely need to try Iago then. Sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver. If you like Western Diamondback this is about the closest GC to it.

Orc- Field grey courgette musk, roughly cured leather, and vetiver.

Fighter- Leather, musk, blood, and steel.

Rogue- Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin.

Cyborg- Gleaming metal and black leather over a khus-darkened bay rum.

Obligatory leather suggestions:

The Bow & Crown of Conquest- sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

The Black Rider- Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber.

Perversion- Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

Dragon's Hide- Flame-kissed, warm, smooth, and highly protective. Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

Crowley- Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

Nanny Ashtoreth- Middle Eastern flowers, amber, honey, blood red-berries, whip leather, and polished paddle wood.

These have come back a couple times/ up on etsy/ out recently so they're possible to find:

Krampus- Sinister red musk, black leather, dusty rags, and wooden switches

Olisbos- polished wood, well-loved leather, and olive oil.

The Bloody Sword- dragon's blood, myrrh, black pepper, labdanum, benzoin, leather, fire, and steel

In His Hands all Thy Cruelties Thrive- Gleaming black vetiver, bay laurel, opoponax, hiba wood, Spanish moss, clove, and leather accord.

For when the Carnival returns:

Western Diamondback- Snake Oil with leather, tonka bean, red sandalwood, and sage.

Shrunken Heads- Leather tanned with the pulp of Amazon ferns and rainforest herbs.

There are like 18 Shrunken Heads on etsy right now, for those who don't want to wait for the carnival to come back. :P

Haute Macabre was terrible on me. That doesn't bode well...

I had high hopes for Haute Macabre - I liked so many of the notes! - but it also was a pretty major fail on me, as well. Also, the leather scent to end all leather scents - DeSade? Smelled awful on me. I aged it for years and it never got better for me, I had to swap it away. You may have to keep poking :)

Haute Macabre was terrible on me. That doesn't bode well...

I had high hopes for Haute Macabre - I liked so many of the notes! - but it also was a pretty major fail on me, as well. Also, the leather scent to end all leather scents - DeSade? Smelled awful on me. I aged it for years and it never got better for me, I had to swap it away. You may have to keep poking :)

Haute Macabre was just a bitter mess on me, and it was an older bottle too...

Looking forward to trying out the imp of Brom Bones I swapped for, which is the same leather as Loviatar.

Brom Bones is magical. I could roll in it.

Haute Macabre was horrible on me. The leather note was so good but I couldn't get over the cherry cough syrup my brain registers almond as.

Whip is actually my most favorite scent after Loviatar. I have 6 bottles and a ton of imps stashed away. But you'd have to like rose. It's no sissy rose like most rose notes. It punches you in the face. It's the only rose I want in my bpals.

Haute Macabre was horrible on me. The leather note was so good but I couldn't get over the cherry cough syrup my brain registers almond as.

Whip is actually my most favorite scent after Loviatar. I have 6 bottles and a ton of imps stashed away. But you'd have to like rose. It's no sissy rose like most rose notes. It punches you in the face. It's the only rose I want in my bpals.

"Punches you in the face rose" is just the best description of whip ever!

I love Brom Bones on my fella, just super wonderful. I keep hoping the sleepy hollow scents will return one of these years!

Edited by The Poison Queen

Rose is either amazing or terrible on me. And Brom Bones, as of first testing, was sadly too strong for my migraine prone self. gave me a headache, despite smelling amazing.

I don't see The Marquis de Carabas mentioned yet (Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere): "A splash of bay rum, leather, dusty black wool, massoia bark, and opium residue." You would have to like the wool note though, it is rather strong (on me anyway).

I love Lindworm, but of course that is rather hard to find. And Leather Phoenix has lots of leather but is hard to find, although I still see bottles of it offered in the forum sales thread.

I did in fact acquire a bottle of Lindworm, but it's currently very bitter on me and I am aging it in the hopes that this issue clears up. Leather Phoenix is also very much on my wishlist.

Lindworm does mellow some, but it's one the more intense end of leather.

I don't see The Marquis de Carabas mentioned yet (Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere): "A splash of bay rum, leather, dusty black wool, massoia bark, and opium residue." You would have to like the wool note though, it is rather strong (on me anyway).

I love Lindworm, but of course that is rather hard to find. And Leather Phoenix has lots of leather but is hard to find, although I still see bottles of it offered in the forum sales thread.

I did in fact acquire a bottle of Lindworm, but it's currently very bitter on me and I am aging it in the hopes that this issue clears up. Leather Phoenix is also very much on my wishlist.

It just had a weird chemically throw to it.

It just had a weird chemically throw to it.

Lindworm, to me, doesn't smell remotely like leather - more like "inside of a beach ball". I didn't dare to put it on.

I don't really know how to word this, but a friend is looking for leathery scents that are more unisex or masculine. I've tried to look through threads about current scents, but most of them seem to have too many fruits or florals, and get described as "feminine" quite often in reviews. I'm looking for something that doesn't have that, or if it does, that it's more subtle and toned down. Think Villain as opposed to anything you'd describe as a feminine floral. Although anything that doesn't have any florals would be preferred, I'm told. ;)

Thanks!

Currently available from the GC, I'm thinking The Red Rider (Red leather, red moss, and balsam), Fighter (Leather, musk, blood, and steel) and Iago ( sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver) Maybe the Black Rider (Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber.) although to me that one is heavier on the black musk than the leather. Those are all heavier blends. A lighter blend, but sans flowers, that I love is Hunter (Leonine amber, tanned hides, clove, and clary sage)

There are really loads without too much feminine influence :) http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/product-tag/leather/

GC Dee - His scent is soft English leather, rosewood (which is a tree :D ) and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

GC Thieves Rosin. I know this probably doesn't have any leather in it but it smells leather-esque and dangerous.

GC Fighter - Leather, musk, blood, and steel.

GC Hunter - Leonine amber, tanned hides, clove, and clary sage.

GC Violens - Rugged and understated: five sandalwoods, dusty leather, and light musk.

If he/she's into it:

GC Volt - Leather with a shock of eucalyptus, green mint, elemi, ravintsara and lime.

GC Crowley - Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

LE Thunder and Blazes - Leather, crushed grass, mud, sangre de grado, and crushed lemon candy.

There are lots of leather LE's but some are hard to come by.

My favorite bpal for leather is Rogue from the RPG series (Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin). I bought a bottle for my boyfriend for Valentines day because it's seemingly inspired by Assassin's creed, but I couldn't help but sampling it myself. I must say, I tend to avoid leather in my perfume, but I loved it! Its not the sharp smell of just-cured or stiff leather, but well used flexible leather. I could tell the difference since I ride horses. The rosin gives the slightest hint of resin and the hemp gives a teeny bit of dried grass, but doesn't affect the leather's integrity. It's veering on the masculine side IMO, but it's great. :)

Here are a few we like:

Dee (smells so good on a guy)

Rogue

Ranger (buck skin)

Fighter (we got a lot of leather out of this one)

another vote for rogue. it's my go-to unisex scent, and my ex loves it so much he has his own bottle.

maybe leather phoenix as well - IF you can find the leather-y version: matcha tea, wild frankincense, champaca, petitgrain, star anise, aged oudh, rose taifi, narcissus, Himalayan cedar, 11-year aged patchouli, and black leather accord.

it's got some notes that sound floral, but in execution the versions i have smelled are very complex, sophisticated and decidedly unisex, leaning masculine, i'd say.

Tristan! (Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.)

Both decants I've tried had a nice brown leather note though it's not listed (I'm assuming it's the boots in the description).

Dee is also generally awesome as is Port Royal.

Some of the leathers can be very heavy -- Iago, and Black Rider, are dark steamy leathers -- and you sound like you want something a little more unisex. I tend to the heavy leather scents myself.

I'd recommend White Rider, of the three Riders. Black is more masculine, Red is interesting (I personally don't like the red scents on me). White is a clean fresh leather and is a little subtler than the others.

Really, really good suggestions here! I'm a male leather lover so I speak from experience, lol. Dee, Black Rider, Fighter and Rogue are totally leathery yumminess with no florally notes at all.

I'd also recommend Crowley and Jareth, although both are more complicated leather scents than any of the previously mentioned.

ETA: Oh, and Haute Macabre, possibly my favorite leather scent although it's more leather and almonds ( which always smell like cherries to me) but still, an amazing leather scent and not terribly hard to find on swaps and sales.

Edited by Wren12

White Rider is gorgeous if you like a bit of a woody note with your leather; it's definitely a lighter, more unisex leather. Prince Lir makes no mention of a leather note but it's a beautiful leathery cologne scent (from the reviews I'm not the only one that gets that--it's the masculine version of Liz, to my nose). Rogue is a really nice stright-up leather scent, Ranger is a very herby/woodsy leather.

eta: I haven't tried it, but Captain Cully sounds like a promising scent, too.

Edited by skyelyric

The Book. Unisex, romantic, intellectual leather.

Hippie Ghost for a light, apricoty suede.

Edited by lookingglass