Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
binkyboots

Leather

Seconding Crowley.

I always enjoy reading your enthusiastic posts, Ella LaRose, and it seems your favorites (aside from clove notes and Voodoo which I've yet to sample) are also my favorites. Crowley is my very favorite BPAL leather. Followed closely by The Bow & The Crown of Conquest and also Tezcatlipoca.

Disclaimer: I've not smelled Winchester

Seconding Crowley.

I always enjoy reading your enthusiastic posts, Ella LaRose, and it seems your favorites (aside from clove notes and Voodoo which I've yet to sample) are also my favorites. Crowley is my very favorite BPAL leather. Followed closely by The Bow & The Crown of Conquest and also Tezcatlipoca.

Disclaimer: I've not smelled Winchester

Oh good! Cause sometime I feel like a pest! You know, like that younger sister begging her older sister and friends to play with me and tell me what it will be like to finally have boobs! ( it may be a verbal stretch but its the same feeling! I swear!)

Tailored shirt is actually gonna help me figure out the leathers! Because I don't think I can rest until I find something by bpal that smells like Winchester!! I would never have gotten it for mysf ever but now that I have it, well, it is my soul oil!!

Over dramatic! I know! Can't wait to try crown!!

And Crowley! I need to go look that one up again:)

The leather that i found most similar to Haunt's Winchester was Western Diamondback. Probably equally hard to track down.

So, the amazing Loviatar era leathers are all rare and costly, I wanted advice on leather notes that are GC, or at least easy to find.

Red Rider is already on my wishlist, and I wanted any other suggestions. I like my leathers rich and dirty, if that's any help.

Ooo gurl you're in my territory now, leather is my jam :P Rich and dirty you say?

You definitely need to try Iago then. Sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver. If you like Western Diamondback this is about the closest GC to it.

Orc- Field grey courgette musk, roughly cured leather, and vetiver.

Fighter- Leather, musk, blood, and steel.

Rogue- Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin.

Cyborg- Gleaming metal and black leather over a khus-darkened bay rum.

Obligatory leather suggestions:

The Bow & Crown of Conquest- sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

The Black Rider- Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber.

Perversion- Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

Dragon's Hide- Flame-kissed, warm, smooth, and highly protective. Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

Crowley- Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

Nanny Ashtoreth- Middle Eastern flowers, amber, honey, blood red-berries, whip leather, and polished paddle wood.

These have come back a couple times/ up on etsy/ out recently so they're possible to find:

Krampus- Sinister red musk, black leather, dusty rags, and wooden switches

Olisbos- polished wood, well-loved leather, and olive oil.

The Bloody Sword- dragon's blood, myrrh, black pepper, labdanum, benzoin, leather, fire, and steel

In His Hands all Thy Cruelties Thrive- Gleaming black vetiver, bay laurel, opoponax, hiba wood, Spanish moss, clove, and leather accord.

For when the Carnival returns:

Western Diamondback- Snake Oil with leather, tonka bean, red sandalwood, and sage.

Shrunken Heads- Leather tanned with the pulp of Amazon ferns and rainforest herbs.

All three of the Riders really appeal to me, Red, black and white in that order. Nanny Ashtoreth is GLORIOUS, and I'm so glad I found a decant of it so I could see how the flowers behaved on me (which was perfectly).

Cyborg sounds like it could totally be my scent, seeing as Beth makes the most amazing metal notes.

Fighter, Rouge and Orc are all on my wishlist, though fighter especially.

I have to ask about the Western Diamondback. How strong is the snake oil in that? Even aged SO makes me gag and get migraines so that being the base is worrying for me.

Snake oil for me is pretty indifferent. I smell the leather more than anything the snake oil kind of gives a wetness to it. But you can for sure pick up the sweet vanilla part of snake oil.

Snake oil for me is pretty indifferent. I smell the leather more than anything the snake oil kind of gives a wetness to it. But you can for sure pick up the sweet vanilla part of snake oil.

I'll try an imp of it, if I can find a decant, but the vanilla in that sounds like it may be bad news for my sweet and floral hating nose.

All three of the Riders really appeal to me, Red, black and white in that order. Nanny Ashtoreth is GLORIOUS, and I'm so glad I found a decant of it so I could see how the flowers behaved on me (which was perfectly).

Cyborg sounds like it could totally be my scent, seeing as Beth makes the most amazing metal notes.

I have to ask about the Western Diamondback. How strong is the snake oil in that? Even aged SO makes me gag and get migraines so that being the base is worrying for me.

I love leather scents, but could never find one that ended up smelling a bit too masculine for my tastes, but Western Diamondback is AHHMAZING!! BUT it is VERY hard to find right now...fingers crossed that it will come back with the Carnival, but in my opinion, I also LOVE Snake Oil...fresh or aged, and I actually don't get any SO from WD. It is a soft, suede like scent that is just strong enough to have a good throw but not overpowering and end up smelling like a dude!! :)

I love leather scents, but could never find one that ended up smelling a bit too masculine for my tastes, but Western Diamondback is AHHMAZING!! BUT it is VERY hard to find right now...fingers crossed that it will come back with the Carnival, but in my opinion, I also LOVE Snake Oil...fresh or aged, and I actually don't get any SO from WD. It is a soft, suede like scent that is just strong enough to have a good throw but not overpowering and end up smelling like a dude!! :)

As a genderqueer person, smelling like dude is not an issue for me... XD

I have a lot of scents in the Carnival that I would love to see back, so if it makes a reappearance, I'll get a decant of it.

I would suggest you try to find a decant of Crowley - since you like Loviatar... Crowley has that same sort of rich/deep/dark devilish leather. The notes are: Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk - but don't let the lemon, lilac or vanilla put you off - I don't even notice them in there, it's all about the hot musky leather.

However - I do find that brand new Crowley lacks depth.. it's really only good for me after it's aged a couple of years. But it really is worth the wait! Or even better - look for a decant that has some age to it.

And I agree with the previous posters - SO is really a very minor element in Western Diamondback... however, it definitely is there. Again - look for aged WD, the leather gets more rich and dominant with age.

Another one you might like to try is Spanked - the notes are Whip leather, cardamom, patchouli, and bourbon so there's a touch of spiciness in there from the cardamom but it's a lovely deep/earthy leather blend. You'll be lucky to find any of the original version, because it's rarer than rocking horse poop, but luckily we had a Resurrected version a couple of years ago and that one is not so hard to find :smile:

edited to fix typos

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

Crowley has been something I was eyeing, though I was a bit worried about the vanilla. I'll probably hunt down some and stick it in my aging box.

Spanked sounds right up my alley so I will try to hunt some down! I like spicy scents!

Ooooooo leather :yum: One of my all time favorite notes, a note that never fails me, a note that I never expected to like as much as I do (I'm vegetarian).

HighPriestessIce made some really good recs.. there are a couple I havent gotten around to testing that sound really awesome (mmmm Western Diamondback!)

The Red Rider is amazing. It's pretty much a leather SN on me, (speaking of... hoping so hard we get at least one leather SN!) whereas a few of the other recommended blends arent really leathery enough for my tastes. But that is of course the fun of testing. But yeah, that is probably my favorite GC leather blend!

Hunter has a white leather, similar to that in the White Rider, but I personally like it better.

Hunter - Leonine amber, tanned hides, clove, and clary sage.

Aaaand I do hate to do it to you, but you might want to add Rivet.goth to your casual holy grail search. It is a rich dirty leather that is in my top 5 bpal blends ever.. I just love it to death.

Edited by MCS4096

Here to second Rogue, Iago, Red Rider, Perversion (though sweet,) and Spanked.

I'd like to add, for consideration, Dee and Captain Cully. If you're into hunting down LEs from previous years, Peter Quint.

I thought I'd recommend Jareth as something a little different. It's amazing :wub2:

Jareth:

Ethereal lilac fougere and gleaming leather with ti leaf, tonka absolute, white musk, and oudh.

I don't see The Marquis de Carabas mentioned yet (Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere): "A splash of bay rum, leather, dusty black wool, massoia bark, and opium residue." You would have to like the wool note though, it is rather strong (on me anyway).

I love Lindworm, but of course that is rather hard to find. And Leather Phoenix has lots of leather but is hard to find, although I still see bottles of it offered in the forum sales thread.

I don't see The Marquis de Carabas mentioned yet (Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere): "A splash of bay rum, leather, dusty black wool, massoia bark, and opium residue." You would have to like the wool note though, it is rather strong (on me anyway).

I love Lindworm, but of course that is rather hard to find. And Leather Phoenix has lots of leather but is hard to find, although I still see bottles of it offered in the forum sales thread.

I did in fact acquire a bottle of Lindworm, but it's currently very bitter on me and I am aging it in the hopes that this issue clears up. Leather Phoenix is also very much on my wishlist.

I am not a fan of the lab's leather scents :lol:, but I would be interested in trying "Hatta". It is currently available from the "Century Guild.net" website until it is sold out. Only 250 bottles were made. The notes are Copaiba balsam, battered brown leather, and Ceylon cinnamon.

I have a lot of scents in the Carnival that I would love to see back, so if it makes a reappearance, I'll get a decant of it.

Ok.....then dude it up!!! ;) But def try WD if it comes back...I think you will love it!!! I know I will be getting me some if it does!!

Ok.....then dude it up!!! ;) But def try WD if it comes back...I think you will love it!!! I know I will be getting me some if it does!!

I'll be hunting down a decant of it for sure!

I am not a fan of the lab's leather scents :lol:, but I would be interested in trying "Hatta". It is currently available from the "Century Guild.net" website until it is sold out. Only 250 bottles were made. The notes are Copaiba balsam, battered brown leather, and Ceylon cinnamon.

I'm getting a decant and am VERY excited for it.