Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
binkyboots

Leather

Rogue was the scent that got me interested in leather blends. It's manlier than I'm usually interested in, but something in the leather + pine rosin combination is very wearable and appealing. There's a definite foresty quality because of the rosin, but it's kind of spicy and not pure Christmas-tree stand.

(Rogue is actually the perfume that got me interested in Whip, oddly enough. I thought, "I like evergreens, I like evergreen + leather, I like rose, ergo...")

Paladin was surprisingly feminine on me. I think it was the musk-frankincense-vanilla converging and going just a bit powdery.

Rogue was the scent that got me interested in leather blends. It's manlier than I'm usually interested in, but something in the leather + pine rosin combination is very wearable and appealing. There's a definite foresty quality because of the rosin, but it's kind of spicy and not pure Christmas-tree stand.

(Rogue is actually the perfume that got me interested in Whip, oddly enough. I thought, "I like evergreens, I like evergreen + leather, I like rose, ergo...")

Paladin was surprisingly feminine on me. I think it was the musk-frankincense-vanilla converging and going just a bit powdery.

I agree, I love BPAL's leather notes. Violens is a bit similar to Rogue, on me this is maily leather.

I LOVE Rogue. For some reason it reminds me of backstage - either ballet shoes or instrument cases, so it doesn't strike me as masculine. It's my first leather scent, and I'm hooked. :) And layered with Morocco... on me, sublime.

Did anyone else have trouble with DeSade but otherwise adore leather scents? DeSade smelled incredibly strange on me (and I bought it way back when going "Yes! All leather!") and never aged out of smelling terrible on me.

I'm always sad that BPAL's rose note is horrible on me, I want Whip to work so badly. What I really, really want is a black vanilla, leather, musk (maybe with amber as long as it's not "golden" or "light") scent.

Did anyone else have trouble with DeSade but otherwise adore leather scents? DeSade smelled incredibly strange on me <snipped>

Yep! Meeee!! :D

I have found a few distinctly different types of 'leather' in BPAL blends - DeSade was sharp and harsh on me.. with almost a chemical-like udertone - like shiny new leather. I actually put together a list of leather 'types' that I have encountered about 18 months ago - it went like this:

Soft/suede type leathers - Sacrifice, NGG023 prototype, Rivet Goth, Nanny Ashtoreth

Dark/hot type leathers - Spanked, Crowley, Loviatar, The Black Rider, Brom Bones, Western Diamondback, Iago

Old/worn type leathers - Clockwork Couture: Male, Hunter

Sharp/fresh type leathers - DeSade, The Traveller

Red/brown/raw type leathers - The Red Rider

Sweeter type leathers - Liz (flowery/vanilla leather), The Blockhead (bubblegum leather), Dee

Clean/fresh type leathers - The White Rider, Liz (again), Clockwork Couture: Female

There's been a few more since then - I would add Fetish.Goth to the sharp/fresh category, and Captain Cully should be in there too - maybe in soft/suede or perhaps old/worn. But these are just my impressions - when you read reviews for all these blends, you'll see that the leather notes give very different results from person to person.

What I really, really want is a black vanilla, leather, musk (maybe with amber as long as it's not "golden" or "light") scent.

I would recommend Western Diamondback or Dee if you haven't tried those already, or try layering your favourite leathery BPAL with a little Snake Oil :smile:

Speaking of De Sade, I wonder if it mellows out as it ages. I've heard complaints that it smells too chemical-y. Personally, I've never had the pleasure of trying it, but I'm determined to track it down someday. I just worry that it won't live up to my expectations!

I have found a few distinctly different types of 'leather' in BPAL blends - DeSade was sharp and harsh on me.. with almost a chemical-like udertone - like shiny new leather. I actually put together a list of leather 'types' that I have encountered about 18 months ago - it went like this:

Soft/suede type leathers - Sacrifice, NGG023 prototype, Rivet Goth, Nanny Ashtoreth

Dark/hot type leathers - Spanked, Crowley, Loviatar, The Black Rider, Brom Bones, Western Diamondback, Iago

Old/worn type leathers - Clockwork Couture: Male, Hunter

Sharp/fresh type leathers - DeSade, The Traveller

Red/brown/raw type leathers - The Red Rider

Sweeter type leathers - Liz (flowery/vanilla leather), The Blockhead (bubblegum leather), Dee

Clean/fresh type leathers - The White Rider, Liz (again), Clockwork Couture: Female

There's been a few more since then - I would add Fetish.Goth to the sharp/fresh category, and Captain Cully should be in there too - maybe in soft/suede or perhaps old/worn. But these are just my impressions - when you read reviews for all these blends, you'll see that the leather notes give very different results from person to person.

What I really, really want is a black vanilla, leather, musk (maybe with amber as long as it's not "golden" or "light") scent.

I would recommend Western Diamondback or Dee if you haven't tried those already, or try layering your favourite leathery BPAL with a little Snake Oil :smile:

Snake Oil just disappears on me. :cry2: It's a sad, sad state of affairs with my skin chemistry. I'll give Dee a try, for sure. I avoid trying discontinued and not-currently-available LEs because I don't want to find my holy grail in something that I can't get. I've been buying BPAL since very late 2003 or very early 2004 (I can't remember which) and I've learned to stay clear of needing something I can't get. :lol:

Thanks for the notes on, er, notes of leather. Captain Cully to me smells like soft leather - the kind you find in high quality belts and purses. DeSade wasn't so much plasticky on me as it was just... not leather. Musky and dusty and, yeah, not leather.

Speaking of De Sade, I wonder if it mellows out as it ages. I've heard complaints that it smells too chemical-y. Personally, I've never had the pleasure of trying it, but I'm determined to track it down someday. I just worry that it won't live up to my expectations!

Mine (waiting to be handed off in a swap later this week :) ) changed some as it aged (six years) and did lose some of the sharper note. I know that if I had hunted down DeSade instead of ordered it from the Lab as a GC, I would have been really disappointed.

I wasn't a fan of DeSade, though I do like the Traveller. That strong leather note was a little stark and chemical by itself, but was fine layered. I used to keep some fore layeribg, but when it disconned, I passed mine on to someone who would love it like I couldn't.

I wasn't a fan of DeSade, though I do like the Traveller. That strong leather note was a little stark and chemical by itself, but was fine layered. I used to keep some fore layeribg, but when it disconned, I passed mine on to someone who would love it like I couldn't.

My favorite 'comforting' scent right now is Severin, and the only way I can think to describe that kind of leather is a very buttery, well-worn leather. With the bergamot and tea, it feels like a well-loved chair in a study with a hot beverage next to you.

I'm very new to this, but I suspect the same leather note is in some of the other 'leather' blends discontinued around the same time. Can anyone point me towards the same 'type' of leather as in Severin? I'm not talking whip leather or fetish leather, more of a comforting-leather-chair leather.

Need advice! Just tried my first leather note in "in the forest", and it was a big NO. All new car smell. Dare I risk getting decants of Jareth and Hoggle? I love Labyrinth but am scared of the leather.... Hoping someone with more leather experience can help ease my mind.

My favorite 'comforting' scent right now is Severin, and the only way I can think to describe that kind of leather is a very buttery, well-worn leather. With the bergamot and tea, it feels like a well-loved chair in a study with a hot beverage next to you.

I'm very new to this, but I suspect the same leather note is in some of the other 'leather' blends discontinued around the same time. Can anyone point me towards the same 'type' of leather as in Severin? I'm not talking whip leather or fetish leather, more of a comforting-leather-chair leather.

Its not really a comfort scent, but a leather that feels like that to me is Mysterious Warning.

MYSTERIOUS WARNING

A scent evocative of poisonous family secrets: dry lavender-infused amber, battered leather, nicotiana, osmanthus, and jasmine tea.

Its quite delicious, I wear it quite a bit as an every day scent. And has the leather and tea combo you liked in severin

Need advice! Just tried my first leather note in "in the forest", and it was a big NO. All new car smell. Dare I risk getting decants of Jareth and Hoggle? I love Labyrinth but am scared of the leather.... Hoping someone with more leather experience can help ease my mind.

BPAL uses several different scents for leather and "worn" leather tends to smell a little less new-car-smell-ish. More like "expensive new purse." IIRC (because I don't have my notes handy) from protos, Jareth had more of that "new leather" smell and Hoggle had more worn leather smell.

Hope that's helpful!

on me In the Forest is total Prada new purse smell, quite amazing. It reminds me a bit of an old Chanel fragrance, Russian Leather.

BPAL uses several different scents for leather and "worn" leather tends to smell a little less new-car-smell-ish. More like "expensive new purse." IIRC (because I don't have my notes handy) from protos, Jareth had more of that "new leather" smell and Hoggle had more worn leather smell.

Hope that's helpful!

Very much so. I'm sorry I lied, I recently discovered a long forgotten 2010 decant.of the soldier. There is leather there,.in the background, amazing. Very faint but adding complexity. Maybe I'll give jareth and hoggle a shot

Hope that's helpful!

And of course thanks for the input c:

I am looking for a scent like Haunt's Winchester. A sweet leather. I have never liked leather but I got this as a frimp and am in love. So can someone help me find a Winchester bpal match?

I am looking for a scent like Haunt's Winchester. A sweet leather. I have never liked leather but I got this as a frimp and am in love. So can someone help me find a Winchester bpal match?

How sweet is it? The notes on their website for the Winchester oil are: worn brown leather, sweet tobacco leaf, incense, amber, labdanum and smoldering woods.

To match that, I'd try

Captain Cully (light musk with leather, tonka, a dusting of dry woods, and a splash of porter)

Hoggle (Fermented pumpkin, brown leather, dust, tobacco leaf, and dark woods.)

Iago (black musk, wet leather and vetiver.)

Hellfire (pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke)

Of those, I'd say Captain Cully is the sweetest. (My recommendations are almost always missing scents that contain florals because florals simply don't work for me. Hopefully someone else can come in and fill in the blanks.)

I am not a floral person either so your recs are perfect! It dries down to a soft brown leather amber wood:))) mmmm!

Off to look up your recs!

Some other suggestions, then, based on what it smells like for you:

PERVERSION - Smoky rum, black tobacco, steamy leather, crystalline chardonnay, base of tonka. (Be warned, this loses the leather for a lot of folks. On me, it's soft leather.)

THE RED RIDER - Red leather, red moss, and balsam. On me this is mostly a musk-and-leather scent (don't ask me how, I dunno) but on my spouse it's all sweet, warm, soft leather.

ROGUE - Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin. As this ages, it's picking up a dry woodsy incense smell. This one smells a little sweet on me.

I like to layer Rogue with Antikythera Mechanism (Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco) - it's amazing together and Antikythera Mechanism is a little sweet on its own.

I actually can only sometimes tell the difference between Winchester and Rogue. They're INCREDIBLY similar to my nose, both in the bottle and on my skin. Sometimes I amp the dustier notes of Winchester and that's basically the only time I can tell them apart. Definitely track down some Rogue --- I hope they're as similar for you!

I actually can only sometimes tell the difference between Winchester and Rogue. They're INCREDIBLY similar to my nose, both in the bottle and on my skin. Sometimes I amp the dustier notes of Winchester and that's basically the only time I can tell them apart. Definitely track down some Rogue --- I hope they're as similar for you!

It's funny what body chemistry does! Rogue and Winchester smell nothing alike to me. To me, Winchester is sweet vanilla/amber/leather, while Rogue is very pine-y and green with leather in the background.

If you like Winchester, you might try Crowley: Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk. To me, it is mostly leather, vanilla, red musk, and patchouli.

The Black Rider might be in the same family as well. It is leather and black amber. Maybe you could layer it with something vanilla/tobacco, like the Antikythera Mechanism.

I'd also suggest Dee: Soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.