Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
binkyboots

Leather

I'm looking for recommendations of oils with leather and vanilla notes. I love them individually and I love them together (Crowley smells incredible on me).

Or, as the topic description says, you could recommend an oil with notes of leather, ocean water, and sugar, if any exist. I remember years ago a day I wore a long leather coat and conditioner in my hair that smelled just like salty, rainy sea water, and a girl friend sprayed me with a sugary perfume she had. They smelled amazing together. I've been on the lookout for something that would recreate the experience ever since.

You might try Hellfire - A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass. It doesn't have any vanilla in it but the pipe tobacco sweetens the blend nicely and ambergris can be nice and salty on some people.

Perversion, perhaps? Tonka is a creamy note that can sometimes smell like vanilla.

oh yes, I cant believe I didnt think of that one too! MMM, maybe I should go put that one on...

Bow & Crown of Conquest all the way! It bears some resemblance to Crowley, as it's also a leathery-woody-vanilla-musk, but it has a different aura about it... Crowley smells warm on me, whereas Bow & Crown is like Crowley's colder, haughtier cousin.

Port Royal might appeal to you. It won't recreate the leather/ocean water/sugar scent, but it's a sweetened up, woodsy perfume with a bite of ocean air... it's quite spicy though, so it might be too far off the mark from what you're looking for. I haven't tried it, but Jolly Roger has both leather and "sea spray". You could try layering that with something sweet and sugary.

Seconding Bow and Crown of Conquest. That is the leather + vanilla to me, I've tried Liz and found it all smoke on my skin! It was dreadfully disappointing.

For leather notes by themselves, you might try the new Rider ones -- White Rider, Red Rider, and Black Rider, as they are all QUITE leathery, but of different sorts of leather, and using your favorite of those in layers if you are looking for more vanilla or other notes to go with it. I used to recommend De Sade to everyone who wanted to "leather up" any non-leathery or only lightly-leathery perfume with more leathery goodness, but since it's been discontinued it will probably prove quite difficult to find any of it. If you do, however, it's basically a leather single note. :)

Your other request, however, makes me think of Mary Read: Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder. It's definitely got ocean and leather, and you might find the rum and sarsaparilla doing sweeter things on your skin!

If you can hang with roses, I suggest whip. It's seductive roses and black leather. (Frequent male attention when worn.) I love Liz, but some people find her either too floral or too smokey. If you have a hankering for plastic/pleather scents, I'd suggest Kroenen. I have sniffed this one a few time, and truly, I get pleather. But perhaps it will layer well? Experiment! It's what oils are made for. ;)

I'm female but I tend to like masculine scents, and I'm looking for something with leather in it. I thought Crowley would be great for me, until I got to the lilac cologne part. (I'm just going by description here, have not smelled it in person, so if the lilac cologne part is pretty faint I'd still probably be interested.) I don't like florals much at all, and I especially hate rose. I tend to really like foody, spicy, and musky smells (my favorite BPAL scents are Vice, Theodosius, Coyote, Dorian, and I like Hellcat in the bottle but not on my skin. I also wear Aquolina's Pink Sugar and Gwen Stefani L.). I think I'd ideally like something that is leathery, with some spice, or a burning kind of smell (like campfire smell). Or even leather with vanilla.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Even if it doesn't have a leathery smell to it, and you think I'd like it based on my other favorites, please share!

I love love love the leather in Shrunken Heads. Makes my mouth water when I smell it. Seriously yummy!

My favorites are:

Perversion - Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

The Robotic Scarab - Polished metallic notes, glossy leather, frankincense, star anise, and thin lubricating oils.

The Bow & Crown of Conquest - Sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

*swoons*

I would consider Crowley and Robotic Scarab fairly androgynous. so is Galvanic goggles.

I'd consider Dee strongly masculine and Perversion fairly masculine, but that could be my scin chemistry.

Calico Jack is fairly femme as theoretically masculine scents go.

Dragon's Hide is a very floral leather.

Havana is very womanly.

In Mary read, the leather is soft, but if you like ocean scents, this might be cool for you.

Let's see... leather, vanilla, spice, burning. And musk for fun. And maybe some tea.

Brom Bones (LE) The butchest, manliest of musks covered in well-worn leather.

Western Diamondback Snake Oil with leather, tonka bean, red sandalwood, and sage. (Leather and Spicy Vanilla to my nose.)

Dead Man's Hand (LE) Our Dead Man's Hand is the quintessential western scent: dusty rawhide and oiled leather.

Mutant Hot Rodders from Hell High (LE) Shiny black leather jackets, gleaming silver studs, black pepper, pungent lime, and hellfire.

Severin Dry black teas, Earl Gray, and leather.

A Bachelor's Dog (LE) Soft musk, leather, and Brazilian cigar tobacco.

Loviatar The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

Hellfire A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass.

Herr Drosselmeyer (LE) Pipe smoke, sweet leather, woods and linen.

I think my Liz needs to age. It's not really "vanilla" -- it's "vanilla floral perfume" and a little too on the floral side and not enough on the heavy vanilla side to my nose.

I have more I could tease you with but most are DC or really really hard to find LE.

Edited by TwilightEyes

I would definitely recommend trying Liz. On me it was very leathery with a hint of vanilla, and I didn't really get any floral at all. It's all about the body chemistry I guess.

ETA: Robotic Scarab is nice. Rather masculine, but my skin likes it.

Edited by VioletFemme

Ok, so I am confused on the leather notes :unsure: . I like the leather in Loviatar and Spanked. I was not so fond of the leather in The Traveller and Olisbos. Is it more that I am not fond of the notes that are with the leather note in the blend or is it that the leather note is what is turning me off. I like the orange scent in Olisbos so I guess it is more the leather that bothers me. I had my hopes on this one working for me too :sad:. I can not get enough of Loviatar and could kick myself for not grabbing a bottle a long time ago. Can anyone give me a run down of the types of leather scents the lab uses. I have seen boot, oiled, and raw amongst other wordings so I am totally lost on the one that seems to work on me. I have a bottle of RivetGoth coming so I am on edge if it is going to work or not. Oh yeah, love Perversion too (steamy leather? :thud: )

Edited by damonkitty

Tintagel has leather and it's glorious but I'll have to say that Mutant Hot-Rodders from Hell High and De Sade are my ultimate leather indulgences :D

Ok, so I am confused on the leather notes :unsure: . I like the leather in Loviatar and Spanked. I was not so fond of the leather in The Traveller and Olisbos. Is it more that I am not fond of the notes that are with the leather note in the blend or is it that the leather note is what is turning me off. I like the orange scent in Olisbos so I guess it is more the leather that bothers me. I had my hopes on this one working for me too :sad:. I can not get enough of Loviatar and could kick myself for not grabbing a bottle a long time ago. Can anyone give me a run down of the types of leather scents the lab uses. I have seen boot, oiled, and raw amongst other wordings so I am totally lost on the one that seems to work on me. I have a bottle of RivetGoth coming so I am on edge if it is going to work or not. Oh yeah, love Perversion too (steamy leather? :thud: )

I think my skin and nose like the same leather notes as yours! I love the leather in Hellfire, Bow and Crown and Perversion (Tintagel too but that isn't super leathery on me). The Traveller and Olisbos didn't work on me either, but I'm really hoping the Riders from the Marchen set won't be the leather I can't handle :/ it should be noted that even though Hand of Glory didn't work on me the leather note was nice.

So what kind of leather is out there!

I'm in the same leather fans club - Perversion, Hellfire, Loviatar. I got an imp of Black Rider, and I definitely recommend it.

For pure, absolute black leather motorcycle jacket goodness... Rivet.Goth is it. I had a brief bit of machine oil/rust ugliness as it warmed up and then it was all black leather with hints of tobacco for hours and hours and it had perfect throw. Enough for me to get whiffs as I moved but not so much that I was exuding LEATHER STENCH everywhere. I wasn't sure about it at first but ended up absolutely loving it. It transported me back in time to my high school days when I was first dating my now-husband and I used to steal his jacket and we snuck around in the woods for smokes (and other things!) ;)

A word of caution: it's a pretty masculine scent, but I'd think most women into it could pull it off. I wore that jacket over my prom dress and damned if I won't wear Rivet.Goth over my Sugar Skull. Hubby approved :D