Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
binkyboots

Leather

C. Auguste Dupin turned out to be totally leather on me. They didn't have testers out at Dark Delicacies when I bought it and somehow I didn't get leather from the bottle. My bad cos I really can't stand the smell of leather. But for leather lovers, it's worth seeking out.

C. Auguste Dupin turned out to be totally leather on me. They didn't have testers out at Dark Delicacies when I bought it and somehow I didn't get leather from the bottle. My bad cos I really can't stand the smell of leather. But for leather lovers, it's worth seeking out.

Like-wise.

On the other hand, A Bachelor's Dog is a much more comfortable leather. If you can handle the smoky tobacco in the background.

Personally, I love Severin and Whip, but neither of them are a pure-leather blend.

My new GC love is Les Infortunes De La Vertu which is a very unisex (more feminine to me) leather scent. I love how smokey it is but how it has a touch of floral. LOVE the leather.

Looking forward to trying Doc Constantine.

Les Infortunes De La Vertu is soo beautiful! But I don't get that much leather out of it. Western Diamondback is yummy, but of all I have sampled, Quincey Morris is the most leather.Doc Constantine's leather is more subtle. Hmm...off the Dark Delacies to hunt for C Auguste Dupin. And I have Dee coming in my next order. Yum, leather...

Dead Man's Hand, hands down (no pun intended) if you can beg, barter, or borrow to get some. It smells like walking into a leather goods store.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned this scent. I bought some when it was available for my husband who is a mad Clint Eastwood/spaghetti western film fan. He gave it one sniff and announced it smelled like "new shoes" :P :D :D

I swapped it....

I wanted to add my vote for C. Auguste Dupin as the leatheriest of the leathery.

I love the scent of leather, and I've tried the following other BPAL leather blends: De Sade, Loviatar, Perversion, Coyote, Dragon's Hide, Jolly Roger, The Black Tower, The Bow & Crown of Conquest, Whip, Wanda, Iago , Casanova, Severin, Hellfire, Manhattan, Les Infortunes De La Vertu, Calico Jack, Mary Read, Crowley, Spanked, Torture King, Tezcatlipoca, The High Priest Not to Be Described, and Havana. Many of these did not smell at all like leather to me, either in the imp or on the skin. I have a preference for black leather, so sweet brown "English Leather"-type scents like Coyote, Crowley, and Havana don't wok for me even though they contain a pronounced leather note. My favorites are The Black Tower, Spanked, De Sade, Jolly Roger, and C. Auguste Dupin (of course). I think I would have liked Whip, too, but I amp rose and the rose just drowned everything else out. I love Perversion but get no leather whatsoever from it.

Edited by Apple

I like Black Tower a lot, but I love Two Monsters. However it's a Salon so not available in imp form (unless you can get a decant from the swap/sale forum). ...

The Salons are actually available as imps, but only as complete sets by exhibition - they weren't available when the Salon first made its debut, but I think when the second exhibition went live they began to offer them. Since they're not available as individual scents, if you are only interested in one or two Salon scents and don't want to commit to a bottle unsniffed, the swap/sale forum is the place to go. (I had no problems swapping or selling the imps that didn't work for me from the Salon set that I purchased, so it's a splurge that I personally would recommend :P )

I am beginning to realize that I strongly connect leather and tobacco - perhaps to a fault. It probably dates back to a boy I had a crush on in the 7th grade...Greaser-type "bad boy" who smoked and had the coolest leather jacket. Anyway, leather soaks up scents like nothing else...so I am guessing that maybe this is why scents like DeSade just aren't it for me...there's no smoke!

Coyote's okay, and I haven't tried Wanda, Whip or Perversion yet. Dee is on the way, and I'll report back on his leatheriness if it's remarkable. Meanwhile, my quest for the perfect "bad news" scent continues.

Edited by Indig0

I am beginning to realize that I strongly connect leather and tobacco - perhaps to a fault. It probably dates back to a boy I had a crush on in the 7th grade...Greaser-type "bad boy" who smoked and had the coolest leather jacket. Anyway, leather soaks up scents like nothing else...so I am guessing that maybe this is why scents like DeSade just aren't it for me...there's no smoke!

Coyote's okay, and I haven't tried Wanda, Whip or Perversion yet. Dee is on the way, and I'll report back on his leatheriness if it's remarkable. Meanwhile, my quest for the perfect "bad news" scent continues.

You've seriuosly got to try and hunt down some A Bachelor's Dog, it is gorgeous leather and tobacco, with the softest musk. Droolworthy.

Nanny Ashtoreth. It's leather liek wo4h. (eta: It has a musky, waxy, floral berry quality too, but far and away, this is a LEATHER blend.)

Edited by naeelah

Shunken Heads. It is so leathery that it actually smells like Shrunken Heads! :P

*jotting* Nanny Ashtoreth...that's still at the Lab, right? Shrunken Heads was almost on my last order, but I decided to wait & see if I can get a decant first. And a Bachleor's Dog? Time to start tracking that one :P .

My nose is all excited now!

:D

*jotting* Nanny Ashtoreth...that's still at the Lab, right?

Yep! It's GC! :P And as a Gaiman scent, it's charitable!

I might be swapping my bottle (it was way more leathery and masculine than I expected), so you might check out the swaps forums too, to see if someone has it listed already.

Coyote is a soft suede-like leather on me.

Loviatar-- damn, that's nice. A pure, sexy-arsed leather that just rocks.

Dee has leathery elements, but also cologne and some other goodies. Still, it's awesome and deserves a mention.

Wanda has leather-- but Wanda went weird on me. :D

Nanny Ashtoreth: I got NO leather. I have no idea what happened... it just didn't work on me like that.

Manhattan smelled like patent leather with air freshener on me. (Damn my crappy skin chemistry.)

Doc Constantine's got a nice leathery base, too.

I've got Whip, Perversion and The Black Tower and I need to try them: oddly enough, I'm vegetarian, not at all into the fetish scene, and I've never gone for the bad-boy types in leather jackets (no, for real-- I go for suits or tortured poet-types)... and yet... I love leather scents.

Oh, and I failed to mention... Tombstone. Loads of leather in there, and... it's amazing. I was huffing my wrists when I wore that imp... :P

Edited by LadyLuckDoubt

I've tried most of the leather scents BPAL has because I'm obsessed with their leather note. Here were my findings:

Favorites

Wanda - the blend of wine and leather is perfect, and I could wear nothing but this for the rest of my life

Krampus - very sexy, masculine, and smells just like my boyfirend, needless to say, I really love this blend

De Sade - a wonderful true leather smell, more like shiny new leather than well-worn or dusty leather

Western Diamondback - wonderfully musky leather, and oddly a very dusty leather like a well-used coyboy saddle (and the cowboy :P )

Crowley - love this blend, the leather adds just the right amount of bad boy to a blend that would otherwise be all charm, this is a sexy and dangerous man!

Dee - very nice masculine blend, smells like every male librarian should, leather and paper, my two favorite lab notes!

Others

Perversion - this used to be a favortie of mine, but now I find it cloyingly sweet, also I can't find the leather in it

Hand of Glory - this one is interesting, it really smells like a waxed over hand burning, which is rather disturbing, I keep it because I love the pure candle wax smell

Casanova - very cologney, but nice also, the leather in this blends really well with the other notes, in fact it's hard to pick out any of the notes besides the anise

Loviatar - I like the leather in this, but there's something about it that just creeps me out, don't know why, I really prefer Wanda

The Black Tower - I really get only a bit of leather from this, mostly it's wine and smoke for me, I still like it though

Tezcatlipoca - the leather in this is a great counterpoint to the cocoa, the rest of the notes I could do without, I keep this for the leather + cocoa

Les Infortunes De La Vertu - this is a very interesting blend that immediately gives me the visual of crisp clean white bedlinens, with a splattering of fresh blood across them, while that's very interesting, I couldn't wear it 'cause it kinda scared me

Whip - I don't like the way the rose and leather play together, it may just be my skin because it smells good on other people

Severin - the bergamot is really the front runner in this blend, then the leather, and the combination is.....bright......that's the only way I can think to describe it, an artificial brightness

A Bachelor's Dog - I admit I got this one for the tobacco (another favorite note) and the tobacco really is the most dominant note, nice blend though, very masculine

I haven't tried many leather scents, but I had to poke my head in for Dee.

Dee, on me, ended up being tonka and leather. Which equated into a very spicey vanilla (tonka, yay) and a soft leather couch. At one point I had said I was a hippie that just got done tussling with a british horseman. Leather was there, but more of a faint aftertouch and not overpowering. The tonka bloomed, and was delicious for me. But don't let the first sniff scare you. It smelled like sweaty, spicey man-pitt, and then took a minute or two to fade away into a vanilla glee. 6 hours after the fade, i still had a soft tonka glow about me, and a leather afterthought.

Just to help out a little. ^^

After my last post, I went to Dark Delicacies and ordered C. Auguste Dupin. ZOMG Leatherus Maximus! :D

Of course, the SO swiped it...which is alright (I suppose :P), because it is slightly too "masculine" for me. I also got a decant of A Bachelor's Dog by surprise: a.m.a.z.i.n.g. :D

I wanted to add my vote for C. Auguste Dupin as the leatheriest of the leathery.

I'm afraid Mr. Dupin has lost his esteemed place in my list of leather love to... Brom Bones! :D

Brom is pure, sexy leather with a subtle, salty twist. I want to roll around in him and lick myself all over. :P So, so good. And really nice for layering, too.

If you love leather and haven't ordered a bottle of Mr. Bones, hurry... grab one while you still can (for whatever reason, the Halloweenie blends are still up)!

Are there really two different kinds of leather in the scents? I'll cop to not having tried Brom Bones or De Sade, but Dee, Tombstone, Whip, Shrunken Heads, Severin, Perversion, and Pumpkin II 2008 all have the same kind of leather as far as I can tell -- a soft, brown, well-oiled glove leather.

I'm enormously fond of it, obviously, as I own 5 of the above scents and am seeking another, but I can't tell at all the difference between the "black leather" of Whip and the soft tanned leather (ewwww) of Shrunken Heads. In fact, the only difference to me between those two scents is the substitution of the funky green tanning agents in Shrunken Heads for Whip's single big fat red English rose. (On the other hand, I can totally tell the difference between the different roses in the catalog.)

Am I missing out on something? Do I need to go sniff some leather jackets before I shoot my mouth off?

Edited by septima_pica

Are there really two different kinds of leather in the scents? I'll cop to not having tried Brom Bones or De Sade, but Dee, Tombstone, Whip, Shrunken Heads, Severin, Perversion, and Pumpkin II 2008 all have the same kind of leather as far as I can tell -- a soft, brown, well-oiled glove leather.

I'm enormously fond of it, obviously, as I own 5 of the above scents and am seeking another, but I can't tell at all the difference between the "black leather" of Whip and the soft tanned leather (ewwww) of Shrunken Heads. In fact, the only difference to me between those two scents is the substitution of the funky green tanning agents in Shrunken Heads for Whip's single big fat red English rose. (On the other hand, I can totally tell the difference between the different roses in the catalog.)

Am I missing out on something? Do I need to go sniff some leather jackets before I shoot my mouth off?

Well, certainly real leather of different colors has a variety of scents, as a result of the different tanning and dye chemicals used to achieve the different shades. Regarding BPAL, it may be a scent illusion created by interactions with the other notes in the various leather blends, but my nose perceives more than one leather note in BPAL blends, maybe as many as three or four.

I don't get any leather out of Perversion or Severin, and although I could smell a leather note in Whip very briefly, it was immediately overpowered by the rose, so I'm afraid I can't comment on those.

To my nose, Dee, Tombstone, Shrunken Heads, Havana, Coyote, Crowley - these all smell as you've described: soft, brown leather. I find them sort of sickly sweet, and they remind me of the commercial fragrance "English Leather" by Dana and tend to make me feel nauseous.

I would put De Sade, The Black Tower, and Jolly Roger together into a smokier, sharper, "black" leather category. Much more my thing, I find these to be "sexy" scents. Unfortunately, I don't get a ton of leather out of these three.

The ones that give me trouble are Brom Bones, C. Auguste Dupin, and Western Diamondback, in that I can't really tell what "scent-color" of leather these would be, even though the leather note in all three is very prominent. And utterly delicious. Something about these blends by-passes my brain's ability to make finer distinctions, and my mind just signals "LEATHER!" If pressed, I would say they are closer in character to the "black" leather scents than the "brown" leather scents: sharper, cleaner, smokier. Due to the Snake Oil, Western Diamondback is quite sweet, but it seems like the leather is sharp. I could see arguing Western Diamondback as a "brown" leather scent, however.

I'm a bit overtired and not sure that made any sense; I'll try to remember to come back and edit for coherency. :D You should definitely try Brom Bones and De Sade, though. :D They are favorites of mine, and I know we have similar tastes. :P

Most GC leather scents that I tried have a very similiar leather note. I dont remember exactly which ones I have tried but Loviatar, Hellfire and Dragon's Hide I am sure of, and currently testing Iago, plus some others I dont remember right now. What I see as GC leather is mostly an oily, brown leather, like well-worn leather clothes. But that note is always very faint on my skin and quickly overwhelmed by the other notes in the blend. Iago is different somehow, though.

But Brom Bones, now he is something different all together. He is like smooth, soft, chemically dyed black leather, very new-from-the-shop-leather. And that note is also lasting and dominant on skin. The smell fascinates me but at the same time it is too chemical for me.

I had high hopes for De Sade but it was just incredibly acrid, chemically treated leather

Brom Bones smells like my leather coat. Clean but real leathery, it's lovely. I wear it when I'm feeling anxious and need a boost. I only wish it had the tiniest hint of beeswax/honey so it would sweeten just slightly and evoke the scent of freshly cleaned tack..

I'm looking for recommendations of oils with leather and vanilla notes. I love them individually and I love them together (Crowley smells incredible on me).

Or, as the topic description says, you could recommend an oil with notes of leather, ocean water, and sugar, if any exist. I remember years ago a day I wore a long leather coat and conditioner in my hair that smelled just like salty, rainy sea water, and a girl friend sprayed me with a sugary perfume she had. They smelled amazing together. I've been on the lookout for something that would recreate the experience ever since.