Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Voluptuous and indulgent! A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.

I Love This!!! This is the perfect scent of chocolate! When I first put it on, it smelled exactly like chocolate covered fruity pebbles! I'm in love with this and I need to use it sparingly, until my 10 ml comes to my door. I might just want to bathe in this, so very sweet and yummmmmmy! :P Thank you BPAL! Edited by Shollin

I liked this when wet. It was a delicious chocolate covered orange smell or liek those chocolate oranges that you bang on the table and it breaks all the pieces apart after y ou take the foil off. (i think that was an orange flavor! lol)...

well I was really enjoying this scent but then the drydown changed to smell just like orbitz bubble gum. Maybe my nose is going a little bonkers but that is exactly how it smells. I love orbitz bubble gum so it isnt a bad smell just not something that i would want to smell like. I may hav eto swap this but will give it one more try first.

I think I have found my arch-nemesis in Vice, or rather, in an element of Vice: cherry oil. Cherry oil is too sweet for me, even black cherry oil. I like to eat cherries, but I don't think I care to smell like them. The sweet smell was obnoxious, blending with the other two elements to make this kind of otherworldly vanilla scent (I don't like strong vanilla much, either), and it was the predominant scent until two hours later, when the chocolate finally made its way into the forefront (which smelled yum).

This was a long-lasting scent, but in the end too sweet for me. I may keep the imp to try and turn it into a home fragrance, but I think I may be more attracted to citrusy smells, at least from what I've experienced with the twenty-odd imps I've gotten in my first order.

-doreen

Edited by feline.by.design

Wah! This was one of the oils I was most excited about in my order. In the bottle, it was just as stunning as promised. The smell hit me and nearly bowled me over. Excited, I put it on. It smelled good for about 10 minutes while drying.

After that, (there is no further proof I am a child of the '80s), the only thing I could think of that it smelled EXACTLY like was one of those candy-scented-molded-into-the-plastic My Little Ponys, out of the really old scented line. While that's a fond smell with good memories, I can't say it's exactly the most arousing thing ever, and not something *I* want to smell like, since I can't get away with hair shades that neon. I actually had to wash it off before going out, and ended up puttingon Phantom Queen instead.

I have since used it as a room oil, and I love it that way. It's a soothing, rich smell. I'll finish up the imp in the burner, but it was such a disappointment I won't order it again. :P

Aww, I really really wanted to love this scent. I know my boyfriend loves food-y scents and I love chocolate. When I first smelled the imp it was this wonderful chocolate-hazelnut smell. . .just like Nutella. Then, when I put it on it just soured and went really really gross on me. . .. like someone vomited a chocolate & insecticide milkshake.

:P I had to wash it off immediately since it gave me such a headache.

As a big fan of Velvet, I wasn't sure I would need another chocolaty BPAL scent - especially one laced with cherry. But Elizabeth slipped in a sample of this and wow, do I adore it. I can pick out the chocolate, cherry and orange and yet it's not sickeningly sweet at all - just delicious. It reminds me of Christmas, that fresh smell that comes at you when you open up a box of luxury goodies. Whereas Velvet has a darker and somewhat mesmerizing quality to it, this tends to perk me right up. Unfortunately after the first hour it loses some of the chocolateness as it dries down, leaving mainly a liquored-cherry whiff.

i rather like wearing vice. it does smell exactly like chocolate but not a synthetic sweet type chocolate- rather a dark bittersweet bar drizzled with cassis. i am very drawn to this one :P its dark and deep yet delicious! its got an unusual bite to it that gives the kick i like...mmm.

Edited by lavinia

I wanted to adore this one. But whoa its weird. I like it, but Im not sure I'd do the 5 ml thing.

Wet in the bottle, it's orange blossom dipped in chocolate. Wet on skin, it's a bit the same, only stronger. I put this on before I got the bus to work, and half hour later I had a killer headache.

I cant smell any cherries until right at the dry down, which sadly for me was about 2 hours after I put it on.

The chocolate is strong, but it seems to fight the orange blossom, and it smells sweet, but a little sickly to me. Or maybe that was just the headache making me feel sick. I dont know.

I'll use up the imp, because I do like it. Im just not sure if it likes me. :P

Anita

ETA! Its 2 pm GMT and I was so wrong. The oil on my wrists hasnt gone, its rubbed off on my work jacket, which now smells divine. Im getting chocolate and cherries from the oil on my neck. Its not sickly any more, and I might be tempted by a 5 ml.

How very odd.

As I said, a weird one, but a good 'un :D

Edited by Anita_Blake

Love this!!!! Vice is a choclate lovers dream :D Just a tiny hint of orange, and cherry underneath...this is yummm, and it likes my skin! (which means I'm not making it smell nasty) I really love this :P

In the bottle: Chocolate with a bit of cherry underneath.

Wearing: The chocolate wears of fairly quickly for me and I'm left with a sticky sweet smell. For a while it's almost too sweet but eventually it mellows to a blend of chocolate oranges with cherry underneath. I don't think I'll get a big bottle of this one but the imp will definitely be used.

In the vial this is all chocolate and though I love Velvet I'm a little hesitant because it is so chocolatey. Once on the orange blossom immediately shows through the chocolate tempering it a bit. After an hour or so a little hint of cherry comes though and it's a much nicer more rounded scent. At the three hour mark I really can't smell it any longer, only a faint touch left on my wrists. It's nice but doesn't last as long as my beloved Velvet. I think I'll use up the imp trying combinations with other scents such as O.

Vice is a sensuous, decadent scent. It doesn't have the heavy notes like Velvet. To me it's absolutely gorgeous. A beautiful chocolate covered cherry, with a hint of mellow vanilla. It also has amazing staying power, which is a bonus with me. Very comforting on this rainy day.

Several of the BPAL scents took a while to grow on me and then became favorites, Vice is one of them. It really does smell like a chocolate-covered cherry cordial, the ones with a little bit of vanilla buttercream in the bottom. I love how those taste but somehow, the smell seemed odd as a perfume. The first time I tried it I thought it was a little icky. But after several hours of my nose glued to my wrist, I realized I had to keep it around for a while. It has become a very comforting scent for me, much along the lines of Dana O'shee and I usually wear it for sleeping or other times when I need an olfactory hug. :P

I loved Vice as soon as the scent hit my nose. There's not guessing with this one, there wasn't any "hmm, is that clove?" Sweet chocolate cherries is what it smells like. For some reason it's not sickening to me like some ultra sweet ones can, it's yummy.

It doesn't last too long, but it's not one of the shortest lasting ones either somewhere in the middle.

It dries down to more of a marizipan smell on my arm.

I always recommend this one (and Bliss) to folks looking for a foody scent, more so than Dana O' Shee in fact.

Vice from Sin & Salvation, when I applied this scent it was a little strong for me. I did get this deep chocolate strong aroma and black cherry was in the background. I didn't detect the orange blossom at all in this wet version.

Within minutes it mellowed to a combination of chocolate and black cherry also smelling a little of the orange blossom with a dab of sweetness to it, i like the drydown version very much.

The end results after two hours all that was left was a sweet cherry smell, I needed to apply more scent but that's not a problem. Besides I like cherries and the cherry scent lasted two and half more hours. Going on my list for a bigger bottle.

In bottle: Chocolate and something.

On me: Is orange blossom rather like neroli? Because that is what I am smelling right now, powdery chocolate and neroli. I can't pick up on any cherries sat all, dry or wet or in the bottle. :P

wow, another example of the wildly varying reactions people have to these scents:  out of the vial, this to me had the unmistakable, overpowering scent of -- dog.

Yes! That's it - a dry, woody scent much like dog. Someone mentioned that it was dry cocoa - from the tin and it is dry. I don't get the sweetness at all here, just the 'pencil shavings' smell of cut, dusty wood. It sweetens a little as it dries, though I think not enough for this foody girl. It's dry is all I can say. I have the urge to sip my glass of water.

Hmph. All my reviews seem to end on the same note: I wanted to love it, but I didn't. Guess I don't know my own mind like I thought. OTOH, this isn't chocolate as I would have it. If Bliss is as dry as this I'll give it a reluctant miss I think, but if not then I'd like the chance to smell like chocolate biscuits, as Anita puts it.

It does add a chocolatey note to Bordello when layered, quite yummily, but not enough to keep this out of the swap tin.

Wet: There is definately some chocolately-ness here. It is pretty harsh though. Fortunately it goes through the dry down fast and gets to the good part.

Dry: Can you say comfort food... I mean scent... The chocolate has gone to the slightly dry bittersweet of cocoa powder as opposed to a very sweet chocolate. This is a dark chocolate cake topped with fresh cherries (not the syrupy sweet ones) and powdered with cocoa powder to finish. This is just how I like my desserts, rich in flavor (scent?) and not too sweet.

Final thoughts: After dry down this is wonderful. It is just the thing on a day (or week) when I am really stressed. It doesn't last quite as long as I would like though, which means reapplying a few times a day. There are definately days when it would be worth it though.

Fruity orange chocolate, a little like one of the Fresh chocolate scents (probably one of the discontinued ones).

And it's wonderfully strong - I was trying 6 BPAL oils that day, and this was the only one I could smell without putting my hand near my nose.

Since I pretty much think adding chocolate to anything improves it, I was predisposed to like this. May need a bottle of it...

This is a beautiful complex chocolate/ sweet scent. Not as "dark" smelling as Bliss, but it has a lot more going on. It dries down into a soft, sweet, almost musky smell. I don't mind it on all day, and it is quite comforting. It is, however, a scent of which I will probably keep an imp around, not a whole bottle. It is in my "like it, don't have to have it" category. But I can see how anyone would easily put it on their "must have" list!

Wet, Vice is a dark-chocolate confection with an orange center--Godiva wishes it had something this luscious to offer. :P The drydown was disappointing on me--sweet baby-powder. But I loved the initial note too much to give up, so tonight for the Opera Gala I layered Vice with Black Rose. Oh, now we're talking! Dark chocolate and black roses with my floaty burgundy gown and black stiletto boots...I felt like the personification of a Gothic Valentine. :D

Hours later, none of that icky powder at all, just a hint of dry cocoa with that gorgeous afternote Beth's roses have. I love this combination so much I want big bottles of both, but Vice didn't work as a single note after the first 15 mins, just FYI.

In the vial and on first application, this had a very unpleasant undertone that almost made me hesitate to try it. Fortunately, that faded after only a few minutes, leaving primarily the chocolate. The holding power is superb; after 14 hours, it's still very present on my wrists. R. said it smelled like coconut to him, which might be the orange blossom. I like it, but I'm going to compare-and-contrast it with Bliss before I make a final decision on whether or not to get more, because of that initial unpleasantness.

Later edit, having tried Bliss: on me, these are very different scents. The Vice is almost lighter and sweeter, while Bliss kicks out more of a smoky-chocolate note. No reason not to keep both!

Edit again, after second trial of Vice: the unpleasant undertone is still there (I think it's the orange blossom), but it fades quickly once applied. I liked it better the second time around; I was able to pick up some of the cherry this time. I'll probably get a 10ml of Bliss and a 5ml of Vice.

Edited by stardreamer

LOVE This scent.

It's exactly what it sounds like, very gourmand. In the bottle, chocolate chocolate chocolate.

When I put it on, the chocolate becomes less sweet, a bit more sandalwood and vanilla-y. The orange blossom is the perfect floral compliment - Phoenix smells like this scent in the summer. It's an absolutely unique floral note. Very sweet, but... how to describe it... not foody, but creamy. That's it.

And the cherry adds just the right drizzle of sumptuous sweetness to this. Big bottle, oh yes!

The varied reactions to this scent are so interesting! Try as I might, I don't smell any chocolate at all, and no cherries. In the vial, it's a very oily toasted hazelnut -- so buttery, it's almost harsh. However, when I put it on that disappeared immediately, and it turned sweet. It's all honey, almond, and something I think of as coconut, though it may not really be that. Then it stops changing and is quite long-lasting. I think this might be the equivalent for me of bunny slippers: I might not wear it out, but it'll be great for an evening of withdrawing into solitary comfort and early bed. And that's not a bad thing at all.

Edited by Lido

When I first put this on, I got a semi-strong chocolate scent. I couldn't detect any orange but just a slight hint of cherry.

Within 10 minutes, it faded to a rich vanilla type smell which dissapointed me but...

Now, 5 hours later, I get the dry cocoa smell and I really like that.

It doesn't give you the massive chocolate kick in the bottle in the way that Bliss does but it appears slowly, working its way in.

I'll have to try it again and decide how much I like it.