Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Voluptuous and indulgent! A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.

I was really hoping for a sweet, warm milk chocolate scent with some cherry and orange-ness.
It smells like a cherry cordial in the vial, and on me it smells vaguely herbal. I cant really smell the chocolate at all, except slightly in the distance. My brother wanted to know what smelled like cocoa puffs.

In the vial: sweet roasted almonds!

Wet: I smell like a tray of Italian party cookies from the Stop and Shop bakery.

Dry: Vice is too foody for me. :P Off to swaps.

I saw the cherry in the description and was rather wary. I was so afraid that it would smell like cherry cough syrup. I needn't have worried because the combination of the three notes is such an incredible combination. I have always liked chocolate with orange blossom, but the addition of the black cherry gives it a fruity sweetness. Vice reminds me of incense and since I'm still on a quest for incense-type blends, this is a good thing. I need a bottle of this now.

This may end up being my Holy Grail Orange Blossom blend. Straight from the imp it was divine, deep chocolate and a hint of thin, almost astringent orange blossom. So incongruous that it almost didn't work. The chocholate eventually takes a back seat to the o.b. though, and the cherry stays way in the background (FINE by me). For me, orange blossom can be too fleeting, delicate and thin, but the chocolate grounds it, gives it body. It is a delicious, wonderful scent. Yay!

I was so excited to get this in imp form the other day and couldn't wait to try it. I love chocolate, like so many and opened it up to sniff. I caught the orange blossom, but no real chocolate. In fact, the orange blossom was smelling a little "off." So I waited to try it before my shower as a "just in case." I'm glad I did, because at least on my skin? No chocolate, no orange blossom. Cat pee.

Oh well.

The description of this is dead-on. I get all three notes: rich dark chocolate over oranges and cherries. It's not really a warm, spicy blend, like some of the cocoa blends I've tried with other essential oils; Vice is more of a lovely dark chocolate liqueur. Wow . . . This is a keeper for sure.

In the bottle: VERY strong cocoa bean just a tinge of cherries

On wet: wow! chocolate covered cherry kingdom

On dry: I finally start to smell the orange blossoms and the three scents blend divinely!! :P

I like chocolate. Unfortunately, so many of the chocolate blends are just too sicky-sweet for me to be able to stand in close quarters for long periods of time (Bliss being the worst offender). Until now, 13 was the only one that had that bittersweet quality that kept it from going too far. And then... lo, there was Vice.

To be entirely honest, Vice's chocolate is so dark and bittersweet that it almost doesn't register. It's not like Bliss or MBCloset, or anything like that, nor does it do as some chocolate notes do and go all dusty-dry. The cherry gives it an almost winelike quality; this is rich, deep, dark, adult chocolate, probably the sort with brandy in it, and is NOT for the kiddies. The orange blossom is present in the background, but never quite makes itself overtly known... basically, the whole thing ends up as a melange of scents that dances around the edges of 'foody' while not making me smell like dessert or baked goods. It's also consistent in its drydown, for the most part.

Short of 13, this is by far my favorite cocoa-type scent. I bought the imp on a whim, and already have a bottle on the way. I suspect this will end up on my 'often reached for' list.

I sniffed Vice in the imp having utterly no idea what was in it. My initial reaction was: chocolate, but not an overly sweet milk chocolate, nor an extremely dark, potent chocolate. It was a lighter chocolate with a lot of depth. Once I applied it, I got the chocolate scent and also a whiff of a light floral-like smell upon drydown, which was probably the orange blossom and cherry merging with each other. It smells like a rich, creamy, sweet chocolate truffle with a cherry center. After about 2 hours, my skin chemistry does what it always like to do, which is to eat up the chocolate! Why should my skin be any different than the rest of me? After that, I'm left with cherry and a slight orange blossom floral scent; not a trace of the chocolate was left on my skin. This scent would be gorgeous for anyone who loves foody, chocolately scents and whose body chemistry will hold on to the wonderful chocolate that is in this blend.

This reminds me of those orange-flavored chocolates you can buy around Christmastime. After it dries, an herbal note comes out and joins the candyish sweetness. That sounds kind of odd, but it actually works quite nicely. I find this scent strangely intriguing, and I'll be keeping this imp to test some more.

My initial impression is fruity/orange blossom with a little cocoa underneath. Unfortunately my skin does what it always does to cocoa (I so hope I find an exception one day)- it turns it to plastic within minutes. So no more detailed review, sorry :P

Vice:

Dark, semi-sweetened chocolate (think Tollhouse chocolate chips for making chocolate chip cookies).Close brother of Bliss, cousin of super-sweet Lump of Coal. Yum!

Oddly no chocolate/cocoa for me -- but the orange blossom and cherry combine into a luscious fruit-infused scent with real staying power. Two hours later I'm still stealing surreptitious sniffs of my wrists.

This started out as an oddly bitter chocolate, but the cherry quickly took charge and overpowered the scent. I did then get a touch of orange blossom in the background, which faded as the chocolate took over. Lovely and sweet, if I can get past the first couple of minutes (I can).

In the bottle: It's chocolate! It's chocolate-covered cherries! And not the crappy Russell Stover chocolate-covered cherries that your grandmother used to love and you never understood why. And when I say you, I mean me.

Wet: Still yummy, but the chocolate isn't as strong as it was in the bottle.

An hour later: But WHY is the chocolate gone?! All I've got now are the cherries -- but they're not real cherries. More like cherry-flavored cough syrup. Great. I smell like medicine. Is this why they call it Vice -- because after the fun, you have the antibiotics?

Three hours later: The chocolate is back, faintly. But it's too late. I've decided I don't want to smell like cough syrup. Vice, you've broken my heart! *SOB*

Edited by kellinator

This is an odd one. I got it as a freebie with my BPAL order.

IN THE BOTTLE: It smells like very strong lemon poppyseed muffins drizzled with strong cherry liquor.

GOING ON WET : Still smells like lemon poppyseed muffins then changes to an orangy smell fast with maraschino cherry smell.

DRYING DOWN : Kinda smells like cherry tobacco before its smoked.It also smells like the candy stand you see at a farmers market/auction. Which i LOVE btw, reminds me of being a child and going with my dad to the local farmer's market. If only......an oil could be made that smells like the entire farmer's market.Smoked meats, tobacco, candy,florals and herbs,and woods. *sigh*

ANYways lol.i have yet to smell the chocolate in this one.Then again, I've only been wearing this for about an hour so far so we shall see how this goes. I wouldn't mind buying a 5ml bottle of this sometime! ^^

Edited by DeathBlooms

In the imp, and wet on my skin, I thought "Christmas!" [and I'm Jewish!] "Those awesome chocolate oranges combined with something else...the mall at Christmastime!"

But as it dried it did funny things and took a metallic turn and was somewhat unpleasant up close - though if I didn't sniff directly on my arm, it wasn't THAT bad.

Hours later, it has mellowed into a nice chocolate - but I would probably use this in my oil burner or in a scent locket rather than on my skin.

Starts cherry then immediately the chocolate comes up. Mmmmmm! Chocolate covered cherries, very nice, but again do I want to smell like this? This makes me realize what I would really like — chocolate. Pure, unadulterated dark chocolate. Maybe with a dash of cinnamon.

In the bottle: @#%@$%# This smells like Sloth. Sloth and I are not friends. They don't share notes, so why Vice smells like Sloth in the bottle, I'm not sure.

Wet on skin: Slightly sweeter now. It doesn't reek of vetiver and myrrh like I thought it did in the bottle. I definitely detect the orange blossom; it's overpowering the chocolate and the cherry.

Dry on skin: This is when Vice starts to smell goooooood. Chocolatey orange goodness, like those orange/chocolate sticks you can get at Trader Joe's. I don't smell any cherry.

Verdict: Vice is proof that sometimes you have to give a particular blend some time before deciding it's awful. Once you give it 10 minutes to dry down, Vice smells delicious. Definitely a keeper.

This is my first real step into the world of smelling like a chocolate bar. :P I'm hoping it works out for me in ways that other sweet scents can't. So long as the cherry behaves and the orange blossom asserts itself.

In the vial - Not overly sweet or overly chocolate. I'm getting a strong almond and cherry scent from this. Hmm, almond isn't great on me.

Wet - I am your chocolate covered cherry cordial goodness.

Drying - The almond is seriously amped. I am getting cherries and cocoa in the background, but not even a smidge of the orange blossom. The cocoa seems almost... burnt in a way, too. It's odd.

Dry (1 hour 15 minutes) - I swear I've said this before, but this smells like those fake little plastic foods you have as a kid. You know, the ones they try to give a scent to be more realistic. That's what this smells like in a very faint way. It's not actively unpleasant.

Overall - Nope, no good on this. I think I should just give up on food scents. Sigh.

Hrm... this one starts out with a very strong boozy cherry scent that I normally associate with black cherry. A bit strong for me, but I'm waiting patiently for the drydown. After a bit, a very light cocoa dust note comes peeking out... the cherry is still very dominant though. I'm not sure if I really like this scent or not. I guess I was expecting it to be sweeter. Hmm... may try layering with some vanilla layering notes to lighten up the cherries and add some smooth creaminess to it. < nods >

Vice-

In Bottle: I don't really smell chocolate as much as I smell something...dark. And I smell the cherry, definitely.

Wet: Something cherry-musty dark.

Dry: I get no chocolate off this, which is a pity because I adore chocolate. And the cherry-dark thing just doesn't work for me, too bad.

Overall: Not for me.

The chocolate didn't really come to the front in this for me, but the cherry and orange blossom blended perfectly, with the chocolate in the background keeping it from getting too sweet or flowery. This is one of the few scents where I've actually been able to pick out the notes, which is kind of exciting. They are balanced perfectly. When I smell it, it's like there's a nerve running straight from my nose to.. um, south. :P We may never again face the problem of the chappie being in the mood and me not.

straight sniff from imp is almost gag inducing to me :D :D

burnt coffee grounds and moldy orange peels...*gag*...

once applied the orange loses the moldiness and amps up ... a lot!

this is very strong and certainly not for the faint of heart...

not something i would normally wear...& where the heck is the

chocolate in this? never makes an appearance for me.... :P