Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lab description

Voluptuous and indulgent! A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.

In the imp: sweet Black cherry chocolate cordials.... :D I want this in food... Heck I want this in everything!!!!!

Swiped on wrist, wet: black chocolate cherry cordials with orange blossom.... NUMMY!!!!! :swoon::

Drydown: five minutes: a little dark vanilla surfacing... Yum! very sophisticated foody.... Somewhere between really expensive chocolate dessert at a five star restaurant and a sumptuous blood red velvet gown, with a hint of womanly vanilla essence... BOTTLE NOW!!!! :D :D :P :D

This is strange.

After reading all the reviews on here I expected more chocolate.

In the Bottle: I know there is chocolate there but it is a perfumey chocolate. Chocolate and flowers - nice to receive as a gift, but do they really go well together as a perfume?

On my skin, wet it is pretty much the same. Quite overpowering actually. I am a bit disappointed with this.

On my skin, dry it isn't quite as overpowering. OK, so I can smell the chocolate at the base of this, but not a true chocolate, still something dare I say synthetic about it. I get more floral (definately the orange blossom - I usually either get orange from orange blossom, which I love, or I get floral, which I am not so excited about) than cherry. In fact, if I didn't know there was black cherry in there I wouldn't have guessed.

I was kind of nonplussed about this one, so I asked dh to smell it. Now, he isn't exactly a conisseur of scents, so I was expecting little more than a 'eghhh' in reply (which is accompanied by either a wrinkling of the nose or a shrug). I asked him what he thought it smelled like because I was having real trouble getting any chocolate. He immediately said it smelled like the chocolate part of my Soft Coeur massage bar! (except he said 'that chocolate scrubby bar thing' :P ). You know what, he is right. It is that, but with floral orange blossom. That comment made me view it in a better light.

Actually as I type this it is mellowing more and I get more chocolate. It reminds me of the chocolate honey-goodness in the chocolate heart of soft coeur and the orange blossom weirdness in the new Lush Its a Pleasure, Treasure massage bar.

A peculiar scent, but one I will not give up on.

A lot of the reviews have not been so positive but I really like this one.

It's sweet but naughty at the same time...sort of a slightly-burned chocolate chip cookie. I think the fruit notes add just enough darkness to balance the sweetness.

DAMN this is good. SO GOOD. I owned an imp of it long before I wore it . . . and what a mistake that was. You see, I got Vice around the same time I got Bliss. To me, Bliss was pure, sweet milk chocolate. And in the vial, Vice smelled like the "dark chocolate" counterpart. Nice, but whenever the "need chocolate" mood hit, I went for Bliss.

Well.

The other night, my husband and I went to a swanky jazz club for his birthday. I felt like wearing something decadent and sexy. Something made me reach for Vice. And in this instance, my intuition was DEAD ON! Mmmmm, there's dark chocolate, yes, but it melds into the skin and deep, dark cherries emerge. This is an impossibly sexy, delicious scent. My husband doesn't go for sweet, foody scents, but he loved this on me. It's just perfect -- the sweetness, richness, and luxury of chocolate, but it still manages to smell like perfume; not dessert. Just divine. I'm getting a 5ml for sure.

:P

decadent, delicious.

and it's quite the tease since it smells so...edible.

one me, it smells exactly as it's described: chocolate, orange, and cherry

In the imp: Melted chocolate. Yum!

Initial application: Wow, this is sweet... wait, I recognize this... dark chocolate with a strong, liquid, sweet cherry - it's exactly like 'Cherry Blossom' chocolate-covered cherries. EXACTLY.

After about 45 minutes: Still the syrupy cherry-chocolate candy, with a floral element coming in - orange blossom, perhaps. The chocolate seems to be fading into the background a little... I'll need to update this review once I see what the staying power is like.

ETA: Vice had great staying power, but alas, the floral-ness just got stronger and stronger, and eventually went soapy. Not for me.

Edited by theshapeshifter

in the bottle: Smells like me leaning over a person who is sitting on the other end of the couch snarfing down chocolate covered cherries. Heavy on the cocoa powdering on the outside of them.

wet: warm sultry cocoa sprinkled on heated skin. My pulse livening and warming the scent, bringing out the cherries.

dry down: laying in the last few rays of sun as the sun goes down on a bed with rumpled sheets. Wrapped around my thigh, my foot, a fraction of my torso. We gorged ourselves on chocolate and lay panting as the scent of kisses mingled with cocoa and cherries and a hint of orange escape our mouths. That warm milky breath carrying all of that into the air, dancing in the motes of dust in the fading sunlight. Warm and deep and soft and sexy.

I likes :P

Vice, aka "HEY. Who put the Chantico in imp format?"

Imp sniff: Can I wear this to work? Should I wear this to work? (go lightly!) Smelled yummy. Chocolatey.

Wet: Dark chocolate.

Drydown: This is going to probably fade fast only because I didn't put much on. Still vaguely cocoa.

Impressions: I am a human Brownie. I am now officially hungry. I also have occasions where this scent would be cool and mysterious enough. Work is not quite that occasion :P

Cat impression: Paw of approval.

Verdict: Keep the imp, use the imp. Scent to get after the "big loves" are taken care of.

Vice

A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.

in the bottle: chocolate + cherries, ayup! With an orange tang. This seems like a rather straightforward scent. (cherries = NOT cough syrup cherry but definitely black cherries)

wet: tangy orange chocolate over cherries. Spot on.

drying/5 minutes: wow, this is dry already. Fast absorbing with my skin and faded a bit already. Sweet chocolate scent. I can pick up orange and cherries if I sniff a bit more.

dry/20 minutes: faint chocolate. Might have been absorbed faster since I used the underside of my arm – I know some scents last longer on ‘tougher’ skin like the back of the hand, etc.

At first on me this smelt just like a Terry's Chocolate Orange, as it dried it got more and more powdery until it became pure cocoa powder. About four hours later and there is a creamy vanillariness (and I know that isn't a word) to it, which makes it seem like really good hot chocolate made with full fat milk and topped with fresh cream, and possibly a marshmallow or two :P .

ETA. On me the cherry never made an appearence, which is a pity, but it's still a wonderful oil.

Edited by Ajila

I really thought that I would love this, and it was one of the first BPAL imps that I thought I had to have. Back in the day before I realized that most anything with orange blossom seems to turn rancid on my skin. Vice smells like stale milk chocolate and gummi bears on me. I guess one could say that it smells like stale chocolate covered gummi bears. It's too odd and cheap smelling for me to want to wear it... luckily, Bliss turned out to be a good chocolate scent for me <3.

Whoa! My first-in-the-bottle sniff reaction was: Swap Pile! But I dabbed a little bit on and immediately was glad that I did. It is very strong and chocolatey at first, but it mellows for me quickly. The cherry was never predominant in the mixture, and as it dried down I was left with a toffee type of scent. It's very nice! Astonishingly, I am a real chocolate fiend, but I didn't want to eat any either when I had this on! I am still not sure I would buy a larger bottle, but I will happily use up my imp. It's delicious :P

I *love* Vice. It's so delectable and also so elegant and so not confectionery on my skin, which is relieving. At first it smells very strongly of powdery cocoa but it has dried down to smell like a fresh pot of my chocolate rooibos tea and just SO WARM. I want this in a bottle. Maybe it's the cherries which make it feel so elegant and ladylike and *me* as well. Lovely.

In the imp/wet-Tootsie Rolls!! To the point of making my teeth ache :P

Very interesting the way this one morphs as it dries. A *very* slight, tart cherry and then it changes into a rather generic, nondescriptive lightness. After a few minutes of that, it turned into a nice, subtle, chocolate-covered orange cream....then back to mostly chocolate but very light. It faded quite a bit after about 20 minutes & turned into a VERY light, orange sweet tart(candy) & there it stayed.

Nice blend for the most part but doesn't seem to want to stay with me very long, about an hour or so.

Vice had so much promise. Chocolate. Cherries. Orange.

In the bottle smells like it contains almond component. No real chocolate scent comes through.

Wet: more orange than chocolate. Cherry-ish scent comes through within a few minutes on the skin. Not unpleasant, but just not chocolate.

Drying: Turns plastic within about 10 minutes. Time for a scrub.

In Bottle: Orange and chocolate

On Skin: Very foody! This smells like a chocolate shop. Chocolate covered orange peels and chocolate covered cherries. Tasty! But alas, I don’t think I want to smell like that. Maybe if it was just chocolate, but the orange bothers me a bit since I really don’t like chocolate covered orange peels… they are my mom’s favorite, maybe she’d like this…

Reading the reviews, I thought that I would have to love Vice. Chocolate, orange, cherry...what's not to love?

Vice is fairly true to its nature on me - I smell like chocolate, although I'm not getting as much of the orange blossom or cherry as some others, methinks.

The question then becomes, do I want to smell like chocolate all day? I am quite surprised, really, given that I have decided that I :P Spooky, and generally love vanilla, honey and other "foodie" notes, that, I do not in fact want to smell like chocolate all day. (Which I suppose nixes Bliss for me as well...)

But, since I have approximately 100 different scents on my wishlist and at least 20 heading my way, I do not have struggle with this agony any longer. :D

When first applied it smelled exactly like those chocolate foil wrapped oranges that you can buy at Christmas time. The chocolate smell faded out a lot later on, and instead of the strong orange undertone, a black cherry smell really shows itself. There's a slight hint of chocolate, but only if you're searching for it. Another foody masterpiece by Beth. Love it, Bravo. :P

I didn't really get chocolate from Vice. There was a slightly tootsie-roll-ish undertone (good description, Eros!) but I think it's the cherry that overpowers it. I'km not sure. Mostly it just smelled really, really dry and woody. Actually, can something be cloying and woody at the same time? Vice seems to be.

Vice was the first swap I ever received. I tried it a loooong time ago, but never reviewed it.

As much as I wanted to love it, this was the worst BPAL scent ever on me. I got no chocolate/orange/cherry goodness from it at all. Instead, I got a strong whiff of artificial popcorn. WTF? Was my bottle bad? I know that Beth did not formulate this to smell like popcorn. There is no explanation for my experience, but sadly, it was pure yuck.

All orange for me: no chocolate at first. Sweet and powdery, then finally turns chocolatey-ish. But a perfume-y chocolate, if anything. It's growing on me as it dries. Goes very sweet and candy-like.

Vice

Warm, sweet chocolate with a hint of cherry and a hint of orange. As it dries the fruit note is coming out more. Now I'm getting that cherry chapstick smell that I got from Bordello. I'm not sure if there's a hint of the chocolate or if it is just that I want there to be a hint of chocolate. Not bad, but not a keeper. Next!

Vice

I got this in a swap with HappyLoveJoy. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: Bitter dark cocoa, sweetened by syrupy cherry and tangy orange - I thought this might be too sweet, and I really like Velvet, so I wasn’t sure about another predominantly chocolate scent.

In the vial:

Velvet-like chocolate with tart, not sweet, cherries. That’s promising!

On me:

Mostly tart, incensy cherries. No chocolate, but very dark.

In 15 minutes:

About the same, but with a hint of chocolate - like Velvet w/tart cherries.

In 50 minutes:

Completely gone.

Overall:

This was nice - I really liked the bitingly tart cherries, but I do like Velvet more. I will probably keep the imp, but I may swap it. This isn’t bad, there are just so many more oils I like more, I’m worried I’ll never get back to it.