Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Imbrium

The Infernal Lover

A creamy, sensual, honeyed red musk.

Ahhhh! I am so jealous you are all getting honey and red musk! :cry2: This is all playdoh and sugar on my skin. :( When this first arrived a few days ago I thought my nose was just having a wonky day but it still smells like playdoh on me....even more so than Snake Oil does. I am so sad and disappointed. It looks like everyone else loves it though so I know I will be able to find it a good home.

ETA: So it appears there is batch inconsistency and there are versions out there without the red musk. It looks like the bottle I reviewed is one of the non-red musk blends. I think I am going to try and find a red musk version of this. Edited by Monster

I think people are getting Playdoh from this because it's the same honey note used in O. On me, this is like O plus a little Dragon's Milk. Soft, creamy, and musky. I really like it!

Drop dead freaking gorgeous! Honey and red musk are two of my favorite notes, so this was a no brainer. Not a great deal of throw, but really sexy and warm. I think this may be my first ever two bottle hafta hord it oil! :wub2:

Soft, sweet, and sexy. The musks and honey blend perfectly - Wow! This could be an instant favorite. This is sex in a bottle, much like smut. THe main difference is that while Smut is rough, intense sex, The Infernal Lover is passionate and slow.

I totally get the red musks from this and it's quite nice, but it smells too much like Dragon's Musk ( a GC I already own) to bother with a LE full bottle. I get the feeling it will age marvelously though and will keep an eye on my imp just in case I need to track it down second hand.

umm... I think this bottle must be mislabeled...

Coconut cream pie o.o?

And that was after I applied it 3 times because I was having a hard time smelling it...

I'd think that my nose was broken... but the snake oil of this morning smelled normal... and the dawn maiden and liliths tea party scents I tested pre-shower smelled like what i'd expect.

This... this smells like paper kite lite.

I'm in the "love it" camp. Red musk can be too sharp and gritty. Honey can be cloying and powdery. Put them together and oh my gosh.....they balance each other perfectly. To the reviewer above mine, you are not losing your mind. I smelled coconut, more than once, and I think there's some kind of vanilla-cream note that is impersonating coconut. In fact, that cream note is stronger than any honey that is in this blend (your sniffer may vary, of course).

I posted this elsewhere but to me, this is a total head-shop incense perfume, in the best possible way. If I had a honey musk incense that smelled like this I'd be in heaven. As it is, I'll be buying a bottle of this before they leave town! I wouldn't wear it to work, and it's not for every occasion, but this will hold a special place in my collection.

Sweet red musk. I must amp red musk because it smells really similar to any other scent with red musk that I've worn, especially smut. I dunno if this will be a keeper yet, but I bet it will age nicely!

In the decant it reminds me of Scherezade, which is one of my favorite GC's, with a bit of Smut. It starts out perfect and then kinda fades. The way it fades reminds me a lot of how fresh Scherezade fades. After 3 hours it's barely there and I have to reapply. I can't wait to see how this ages!

I've decided to re-write this review because The Infernal Lover has become my all-time favourite BPAL blend EVER and I didn't do it justice the first time around ;)

This is a very simple blend and the first honey that has worked on me in the way I wanted it to. I love the scent of honey, but unfortunately it doesn't always work so well on my skin. Sometimes it can turn powdery, other times sort of sour... the honey in The Infernal Lover is different. I'm not sure if it's because of the cream or the red musk, but this honey on me stays true (for once!) and is beautifully sweet and deep. I haven't tried the version without the red musk but I can imagine it's very good. As for me, I like the red version and am hoarding bottles as fast as I can!

I first started to use this blend properly around November of last year (2010). I'd been distracted by the other blends in my Halloween order at first and so The Infernal Lover was tested a couple of times and then left to settle. When I did get around to wearing it for a day at work, I couldn't believe the amount of attention it brought. I don't really wear perfume for attention, I wear it more for how it makes me feel and yet the amount of compliments I got was astounding - enough to make me wear it more. I fell in love with the scent after wearing it for roughly a whole week straight. Before long I'd used half of my 5ml and knew I'd have to acquire more.

Now I use it more sparingly (as a treat, if you will) and every time I use it I feel confident and sexy. I have many bottles hidden in a secret, dark place and I am so looking forward to sampling them once a few years have passed. I can imagine that The Infernal Lover will age just beautifully. It manages to combine sweetness, depth and sensuality with a truly masterful simplicity. Scents like these are what keep me falling in love with BPAL, again and again. Beth has truly outdone herself with this little beauty and I send my thanks to her for creating it so perfectly.

Edited by cherrycherry

I wanted to love this so much, but I'm really only getting the sharp, red musk out of it. (At least today... I'm not giving up without another coupla tries!) I usually amp honey, but I just got nothing from this, and the musk was too sharp for me. :cry2:

3/5/11 - dug this out from my massive pile of things to try... it went on *gorgeously* and I was all :joy:for a successful aging! But then, a little later, the creamy, honey goodness went away, and all I had left was the red musk with a gargantuan throw. It smelled good... but simplistic.

Edited by Pika

This is a huge disappointment. I love red musk, so I thought this sounded divine. In the bottle it smells awesome, but on my skin all I get is sweet overpowering sugary honey. Hello, red musk? Are you in there? Somewhere?! Nope. Sugary sweet honey and baby powder. :cry2:

In the bottle: This is red musk. All red musk, all the time, though it's not overly strong in the bottle.

Wet on skin: A creamy, sweet, slightly tangy, red musk.

Dry on skin: It's mellow and creamy, the honey sweetens the blend very nicely. Very potent. I've received compliments all day!

Final thoughts: Being the red musk fiend that I am, I needed this one. Bad. After getting my first bottle, I assure you I need a back-up or two of this beautiful scent, because I'm sure it'll age magnificently. It's nice to have a red musk scent that's not too "loud". This is more like Smut's daytime look (in high heels); very beautiful, very wearable, still dead sexy. I'm hoarding this one!

Try if you like: Smut (the '06 particularly), Scherezade, Womb Furie, red musk blends

Edited by CreamyJade

this is the weenie i was most excited about, and i have to say - the infernal lover did not disappoint. creamy, spicy, a bit sweet, and absolutely delicious. i do get a bit of the coconut/vanilla as well, but there's enough of the musk to keep it from getting overly sweet. the notes balance perfectly - i want to lick my arm. i think i'm going to need at least two bottles of this... :wub2:

:thud:

This scent is amazing. In the bottle sweet red musk, really hard to pick anything else out of that.

Wet: Definitely still red musk, but I amp honey like nobody's business, and that instantly starts to sweeten things. It's like the honey in O, very rich and sexy. There's also some sort of little fruity, grapey note, subtle but there.

Dry down: Rich, sweet, a little creamy. This isn't quite a skin scent, but almost. There's not much throw, but that's fine by me. If I'm the only one who knows I smell like slow, hot sex, I can deal with that. I'm SO glad I bought two bottles, because I can't wait to see what this becomes with some age. Major, major win on this.

Hm. I tend to like the lab's LE honey blends, but this one really isn't doing anything for me, and I think it's because the red musk simply reminds me of SO many other blends that ... it doesn't really have a personality all its own. I can smell the Smut, I can smell the Snake Charmer, I can smell the Snake Oil, I can smell the Scherezade... the honey is far too low-key here. Maybe layered with O to kick it up... hm.

I think people are getting Playdoh from this because it's the same honey note used in O. On me, this is like O plus a little Dragon's Milk. Soft, creamy, and musky. I really like it!

I have to agree that this is the same honey note from O, which makes me very sad. I put this on and it is absolutely gorgeous! I smell sexy! ...and within 2 minutes I smell like gross musky play-doh dipped in honey. No more goodness. I am really sad. All the honey blends that came out over this summer were amazing with my skin chemistry, so the fact that this is more like O is heartbreaking.

Edited by Xanon

Red musk-y goodness! I wasn't going to review because I didn't have *anything* new to add. For me, it's really great - since I already have full bottles of Snake Oil and Mme Moriarty, though, I think the imp will be enough for me.

BUT!

Wanted to let everyone know: At our meet-n-sniff this past weekend, there were multiple instances of this scent, and one was MUCH more in-your-face red musk (like approaching single note), and one was MUCH more mellow, smooth, creamy, honey. Both smelled good, yet they were quite different from each other.

Sharper in the imp.

On my skin.... whoah! Holy honey!!!

THIS is what I imagine a Glowing Vulva should smell like, this is so sweet musky feminine sex!

Can't stop huffing. This is is honiest honey I've ever smelled, and the red musk is the perfect companion.

i don't get sexiness out of this blend, but it still works for me! the honey is very sweet and smells kind of cleaned up, if that makes sense. i would have preferred the smutty, dirty kinda honey like the kind in womb furie for a sexy scent. there's also something in here that smells like strawberries. maybe that's the red musk? i'm sorta smelling something salty, too, which makes this smell a bit like pastries, but not quite.

overall, i like this. it's smooth and sweet. though this actually smells quite girlie to me, i can see myself wearing it a lot.

This is super creamy on me, usually red musk is sharp and bold and sexual on my skin, but this is sensual and super creamy, the honey softens everything, i adore this scent

In the imp: I get honey and musk with something creamy

Wet: Creamy sweet musk. It's perfumey without being INYOURFACEPOW!

Drydown: Honey and something with a little... zing? Comes through. Like, almost zesty smelling something.

Dry: Creamy, honeyed, and fruity. I get a bit of powdery musk, but it's mostly a sweet and creamy fruit honey scent.

I like this. It's the kind of scent that I don't think much of at first, but I keep going back to my arm to sniff it. It's sexy in a really understated way.