Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

The Heraeon Of Argos

THE HERAEON OF ARGOS
Argive Hera. The temple in the Argolid that was dedicated to Hera, the Queen of Heaven, in her aspect as the Great Triple Goddess. Pomegranate, apple blossom, fig, willow bark, and almond.

Wet: sweet almonds

On skin: acidic pom juice, great for a cocktail!

Half-hour later: the pom juice has disappeared, leaving me with dusty sweet figs

In conclusion: I had to scroll through previous reviews to find what this reminded me of: Miller v. California! I think it's the figs and the willow bark turning "brown paper bag" dusty.

A fruit blend smells alternately like spring, summer, and fall. It starts with a tart cocktail of pomegranate and sweet apple blossom; the result smells almost like cranberry juice. There's a hint of almond at first that develops into a maraschino cherry / amaretto note as the blend moves into summer. As it wears it ripens up to a more fall-like feel with the grounding willow bark and fig. The fig is never present as a top note, but it definitely finishes off the scent toward the end, with the sweet apple blossom laid over it.

Not a lot of throw on me, but definitely worth a try if these are your notes.

The Heraeon Of Argos - This is, of course, my favorite of the pomegranate blends this year and one of my favorites of the whole Weenie series. It's amazing that I like this, as it has two notes that usually are awful on me (apple blossom, fig) and one that's "iffy" (pomegranate), and one that I know nothing about (willow bark) and another that I enjoy but which never "wows" me (almond). Somehow, the combination works really, really well. It opens up as a really bright, apple-juicy pomegranate scent, and I'm absolutely positive I smell cranberry juice in there, too. The fig remains in the background, thankfully not ruining the blend, as fig has been known to do. I barely smell the almond -- it definitely doesn't come across as that sharp, cherry-like medicinal almond top-note that I've encountered often in BPAL almond blends. It's more meaty, like the actual scent of almond nut. The apple blossom brightens up the scent (and doesn't go soapy on me!) The outcome makes me think of what the scent of an orchard harvest celebration in late-summer/early-fall would smell like. It's really, really, really pretty -- juicy, crisp, fresh, and grounded.

This is pretty much all apple blossom and pom in the vial and on my skin. I usually don't like either of those notes, because apple blossom smells like fruity, soapy shampoo and pom is like bitter, dry, sweet tarts candies. But somehow they seem to be balancing each other out in a way that is actually kinda nice. The apple blossom smells clean, but doesn't go soapy, and the pom smells tart and juicy. It's like a clean, crisp, tart fruit juice smell. It's still a little too tart and fruity for me, but it's not bad, as I thought it would be. I don't smell any fig or wood-y type notes, unfortunately.

Apple blossom, tart pom (not too tart) and a swirl of fig. I get a hit of almond on wet, but thankfully, it's dries down to a clean, crisp tart fruit smell.

Mmm.. fig. It's not uberly figgy but that swirl is enough to sweeten the blend up for me.

ETA: I was lucky enough to receive this as a 5ml. I get more of the apple, fig, and almond, and the pom is just a light overlay on it. Sadly, mr. zee_zee apparently does not care for pom notes on me, and therefore this must find a new place to live.

On the other hand, this is a soft, baked fruity blend, very in line with the Harvesters. Definitely more late summer/early autumn in feel.

Edited by zankoku_zen

In the Imp: slightly perfumey apple

Wet on Skin: similar to imp; I smell apple, but not quite the fresh fruit scent (ahh, looking at the notes I see that it is apple blossom)

While Drying: A bit sharp, a bit sugary. Apple blossom often goes soapy on me. It isn't doing that here, but it definitely has a 'fresh' quality. I think I am picking up some willow bark, but I'm not certain (that is a new note for me).

After a Little While: It is starting to mellow and sweeten. The pom is emerging, and maybe a touch of fig. I don't smell any almond. I'm not entranced by the skin-close scent, but the throw is a nice, mild, sweet, fruity scent.

Later: Not much throw. Sweet and fruity. No almond. Fades to a skin-close scent fairly quickly, though the skin scent sticks around for a while.

Final Thoughts: Nice enough after it dries, but nothing spectacular on my skin. I'm not sad that this is going home with my Pom obsessed friend.

The Heraeon of Argos earns a 3/5 on my skin.

Pomegranate, 99% of the time, is pure pink bubblegum smell on my skin. So that's how Heraeon Of Argos started - strong pom at first, but then within a minute or two the lovely sweet apple blossom kicked in. Then a minute or so after that, the fig makes an appearance. So within five minutes, I've got a lovely melange of the pom and apple blossom and fig making a lovely sweet fruity deliciousness together. The fig is a little smokey - not too sweet - it reminds me of the fig note in Miller vs California. The willow bark is not a lead note - it kinda sneaks into the mix a bit later on, just dampening down the sweetness a bit. Thankfully, the almond never made an appearance for me - I'm glad, because typically my skin does not like almond at all.

Unfortunately the individuality of the three fruit notes doesn't last too long - they blend together within about 10 minutes and mostly what I can smell now is the apple blossom. Actually there's a slight hint of peach now - that's a bit weird! A very interesting combination, fruity without being obvious about it - nice :smile:

In bottle: Delicious. Pomegranate dominant. The apple blossoms blends beautifully with the pomegranate. The other elements are grounding and form a pleasant framework. Wet: not quite as nice on my skin, alas. The balance is nearly the same, with the almond a bit stronger. I think the almond is turning the pomegranate turns a little shrill on my skin. It settles out okay given time. The apple blossom ends up reasserting itself in support of the pomegranate which works out. Dry: Mostly apple blossom, fig, and what I’m guessing is the willow bark. Interesting, but not as exciting as in the bottle.

I've had this imp since 2010, and never got around to testing it until now :blush:. So, long-aged untouched imp.

In the imp, it's very crisp apple and a little overwhelming pomegranate and almond combo. I have my SO sniff everything so when I shoved it in his face, he sort of freaked out that it was so strong. Muh bad. Wet on skin it instantly toned down. I usually love apple blossom, and in this it's quite lovely. I usually dislike Pomegranate, it tends to be too acidic for me, but the apple blossom tempers it very nicely. I also am immune to almond, I generally like it, but have a habit of not noticing it when it's not a front runner. Then, I have no clue what willow bark smells like, but I want to give it credit an overall light cleanness in the scent. I think this is working perfectly on my skin- but I'm not a light innocent floral kind of girl. Pity.

Overall, this is a very girly, soft, pretty, clean scent. For girls who want something almost virginal, this might be it. It has a nicely balanced combo of floral and fruit. I can not stress how clean it smells to me, nor how feminine and innocent. I think some girls would LOVE this scent.

Edit to add: While this scent is supposed to be more for Hera, it reminds me of the Roman Goddess, Diana.

Edited by Aveya