Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

POMEGRANATE V
Pomegranate, carnation, amber, cardamom, neroli, vetiver, black pepper, and opium tar.

Back in the far corner of the Pomegranate Grove is a single tree. The corner is a little dark and a little spooky, which tends to make the fruits of this tree a little dark and a little spooky. This oil comes from the fruits of this tree.

I was a little dubious about this Pom. I like the ocassional spot of vetiver, but anything with the terms "pitch" or "tar" tend to be DAAAAAAAAARK on me, and opium almost never works. So, imagine my surprise when I tried this first of the Grove, decided I liked it, and then read the notes.

The vetiver is just enough to give it a little hint of musk. The opium tar gives it a hint of smoke. And the rest of the notes give this secluded corner of the Pomegranate some dead sexiness that is still somehow homey. More than anything, this blend evokes the scents of an early autumn night - when there's a hint of smoke and leaves in the air and a touch of a bite of frost that's not quite ready yet and the grass and other greenery are still fresh. It's safe and comforting, with the tiny sliver of danger. Because it's still a dark and slightly spooky place.

Wet: sweet amber

On skin: slightly spicy pom juice

Half-hour later: the spicy carnation and pepper are strongest

In conclusion: this had the most pom juice at first, then the carnation took over. Interestingly, this blend is the most like a "pomegranate patch" with the short scrubby pomegranate bush growing out of the dark spicy earth.

The pomegrante is tart but immediately tempered by the slightly creamy, inky-spiced amber. The florals are silky sweet and lift with the pomegranate like opium smoke, keeping it from comming off as singularly sour. My husband says it smells like the season and I do agree.

UM. Hello pomegranate.. where are the rest of your friends? Seriously I don't get ANY of the other notes here. This is straight pom on me. :(

Sweet-tart pomegranate wreathed in a light veil of opium with carnation petals lying alongside. In vial I got the beautiful sweet-tart pom with spicy carnation, amber, and a hint of opium. As it warmed, I got a glow of amber surrounding the fruit and carnation and under that, the hint of opium. I love it! My only complaint is that my skin seemed to love it too and sucked it up super-fast. I'll have to slather myself in moisturizer (and the oil!) to keep it around longer.

Pomegranate V - When I first applied this, it smelled entirely of pomegranate juice and amber. I knew it was a winner from the get-go, and then as it warmed up on my skin the opium came out, as did the cardamom (two of my favorite notes in the world) and the other notes were there, but far in the background. This is stunningly gorgeous on me, but not nearly as dark and heavy as I expected from the scent. It's dryer and reminds me of early fall when you hear the dying leaves rustling on the trees in the breeze, as opposed to later in the season when the dead leaves rustle against each other as they're blown across the ground.

In the vial: Fruity pomegranate, spice, a touch of neroli, and the warmth of resin.

Wet: Fruit amped immediately, although it's already back in balance. The rest of the scent needs a while to settle down; it's got quite a lot of elements wanting to be noticed.

Half an hour: I think the opium is coming up; it's resinous, but dark. No sign of the vetiver yet, though.

Hour and a half: Fruity, resinous, a touch of spice and floral. This is a bit like Eustephanos without the rose. Never did get any of the vetiver or carnation. The pomegranate-amber axis is what holds this one together for me. I like it, and it works on me.

Mmm, sexy. I love pom, carnation and amber like crazy, but they're not all that strong here. This blend is rather light, actually. The cardamom and opium are giving it a dry effect. The pepper must be mixing with the vetiver, as I'm not really distinguishing them from one another yet. However, even though the vetiver is extremely subtle, it provides a bitterness that isn't entirely to my liking. It's subtle enough to let go of, and that's rare for my ol' nemesis vetiver!

As it dries down the pom and spicy carnation climb on top, albeit they seem tired when they get there and don't make a lot of noise about the fact that they're there. A bit bland considering this notes list, really.

I think this has the potential to age very very well. This is very autumnal for sure, and a contrast to Pom IV (which is a warmer scent); this is a bit more peppery and dry. I think the thing that's keeping me from going nuts for this is that it's too light, it feels a little like it's lacking something, and it's a little bland at the end of the dry down. I wanted it to be much stronger and fuller.

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, from start to finish. This scent is, as a side note, a perfect companion to Villainess' Proserpina soap.

This is darkly, richly fruity. My beloved vetiver & carnation take this to a grittier level than just fruit, and the neroli really comes out on me during the drydown. Slight points off for short wear-time, but it seems like anything fruit has that problem on me. A possible bottle-worthy scent.

This scent only lasts about an hour on me, and it's mostly pomegranate while it sticks around. I get that bitter, tart, dry, sweet tarts note from the pom. As it dries down there's a dry spiciness from the mix of carnation and black pepper, and I think the amber might be making the pom more powdery and dry smelling than usual. I can't pick out the vetiver or opium at all, which surprises me.

I'm not a fan of the lab's pomegranate note, so this isn't awesome on me...

This is sexy as hell! I actually skipped it in my first decant circle, but a lovely friend got this and spent a good hour talking to me with interjections of "I SMELL SO GOOD" so I had to grab this one and try it. Seriously, it's sexy and gorgeous and sophisticated pomegranate. Really enjoyed the scent journey this one wants to take you on through the notes. Bottle worthy for sure.

Wow!

I can smell the fruity pomegranate and something else sweet. There is the tiniest hint of vetiver that seems to lurk just our of reach. Smells slightly like sour fruit with a hint of vetiver. Interesting.

I wish I could smell more carnation and spices here! Will have to test again.

-ETA- The dry down is positively divine!! I can still smell a sour fruit, but there is definitely spiciness and some carnation in there now as well. Very nice!

Edited by Catseyes

This is really sexy on me. Sexy and kind of raunchy.

Cardamom is usually a note of doom. Here it combines with the opium tar for a sort of dirty smut-girl, sexy vibe.

This is sexy for me the way some find Smut or Infernal Lover, for instance. This doesn't smell at all like either of those two scents but it plays the same hot role for me!

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

I love this scent! A LOT! It's exactly as rich and beautiful as I thought it would be. However, much to my chagrin, my skin eats it--in ten minutes it's disappeared completely. :eek: This doesn't happen to me very often. *sigh* So I guess Pom V would be a scent locket candidate for me!

I really like this one, more than I thought I would. It's really complex on, though a little "perfumey". It smells a lot like a winter Holidays medley to me... I'm reminded quite a bit of bayberry candles we used to get out around Christmas when I was a kid. I don't think I'll get a bottle of it, but I will use my imp I think!

In the Bottle: A little bit bubble-gum-ish.

Wet on Skin: sweet, a bit like bubble gum (neroli + pom?)

While Drying: This belongs with the Mad Tea Party category. I can start to smell the vetiver behind the sweet scents, and just a touch of black pepper. I usually despise vetiver, but it seems to be working here.

After a Little While: Mmmm, the amber is coming into play, warming things up and softening the edges. Amber & neroli, with just the faintest hint of vetiver.

Later: I think the carnation must have been in play all along, just not as spicy and distinct as it usually is, because I keep being reminded of High Strung Daisies. But this is more grown-up, with the amber and the hint of vetiver.

Pomegranate V earns a 4/5 on my skin.

Source: Fresh decant

In the decant: Straight pomegranate.

Wet: Sweet pomegranate and powdery amber.

Dry: The sweet-smoky opium comes out more, as does the pepper. This is a gorgeous, slightly sweet, slightly powdery blend. It's sexy and slightly dark underneath.

I'm usually a vetiver-hater, but I don't get any vetiver in this at all, even a little.

This Pom is definitely dark. Swirl of vetiver, but I really get the opium and the amber. The pom note lends a slightly fruity/sweetness to the blend.

Dark, spooky, tart.

In the decant: Red fruits and smoky vetiver, opium.

Wet on skin: Vetiver and opium with red fruits.

Dry on skin: Smoky spicy carnations and fruity pomegranate.

Final thoughts: Beautiful! This blend is smoky red fruits with spicy carnations on my skin. The vetiver and the opium are behaving well and blending with the fruits and flowers, so they are discernable, but integrated as part of the whole. The fruit is a bit more tangy than in the usual smoky or resinous blends I like (Snake Charmer or Mme Moriarty, for example, where the plum is juicy and sweet), but it's a nice change for me. I'll be keeping my decant, but I'm not sure if it will be upgraded to a bottle. I tend to prefer heavier resin-centric blends.

Huh. From the notes I expected this to be dark & slightly brooding. Instead, I got light, spicy, and slightly powdery. Very little pom (in comparison with #'s 1-4). The spice was carnations & light pepper - a pleasant gentle spice. Someone upthread mentioned High Strung Daisies, and I agree. This had a bit more powder and is more mature smelling. It's a very nice blend, but not at all what I expected. Especially since it fades away after about 20 minutes.

In the imp: sparkling? pomegranate.

Wet: Pomegranate up close, with carnation coming in after a moment.

Dry: The carnation and amber take center stage, followed by a smoky vetiver tang and the pomegranate sharpness. The opium gives it a sweetness which is entirely separate from the fruitiness and doesn't quite merge with the florals -- I'm not sure if I'll love this with a few months of aging or if it just doesn't quite come together for me.

Later: At first, I didn't think this had much throw, but after a few minutes I noticed a soft carnation-amber loveliness wafting from my skin. This scent never gets very heavy on me, but it does end up filling the room. It just isn't overpowering. The throw is definitely better mixed on me than the close-to-skin scent.

In the vial: There's some darkness and depth in the background, but mostly this is just a fruity red, slightly tart pomegranate.

On me: A complex, shadowed, stunning pomegranate. Breaking down the notes in this is hard—they are so smoothly blended. Mostly I get opium and vetiver, a smooth and slightly smoky scent that adds substantial darkness; there's not much bite or spice, but the other notes (spices and carnation, mostly) add substantial nuance. Pomegranate stars above it all, and it makes for a jewel of a scent, pigmented but not too bright; the other notes provide so much shade and character, and ground the pomegranate so it doesn't go candy-like or grow too strong. The tartness and boldness of the pomegranate grows during wear, and I think the neroli contributes to give it some sharpness; the throw sometimes verges on candy-red. On the whole, though, the darkness keeps the scent well grounded, and I suspect aging will help preserve that. Scent-color is a deep, dark red; throw is moderate/strong dying down to moderate/low, and wearlength is moderate.

Verdict: Pomegranate V reminds me of the dark fruit/carnation combination of Bathsheba (although pom works much better on me than plum) and even more of the dark, subtle fruits in Queen of Clubs. It's a rich indulgent scent, shadowed and secretive but never shy, warm and red, and so beautiful. It's subtlety in boldness, and, well, I'm impressed. Every now and then the pomegranate gets a little out of hand, which is my only compliant—and I think aging will temper it. All in all, I'm thrilled to have a bottle. This is beautiful.

Edited by Juushika

This is primarily pomegranate, amber and carnation on me. There is a hint of neroli, but virutally no opium tar or vetiver. I was hoping this would be a little darker or smokier on my skin, but it seems to have stayed rather light, and just a little sugary (which is translating to girly on my skin). I like thin, but I'm happy with the half decant I have. I don't see myself wearing this very often.

I've been eyeing my bottle of Pomegranate V suspiciously because of the dreaded vetiver. I finally gave up this weekend, and cautiously dabbed the oil onto my wrists.

Holy cow! This was amazing. I got NO vetiver; only tart pom and smoky carnation with a hint of amber. I was expecting a dark, heavy scent and this is neither. It's not bright or light, but it's not overwhelming. This is probably one of my favorite oils. :thud: