Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pomegranate, cognac, red musk, cocoa, tobacco absolute, star anise, and thyme.

out of all the Poms, this was the only one that intrigued me enough to try it. But the Pom is just too tart, and the other notes don't do enough to make me like it. I'm glad I got to try it, but it's not for me.

This is loverly! I am quite fond of Mme. Moriarty, and there is indeed a similarity between the Mme. and Pomegrante IV, except that the anise and thyme of Pom IV give it a not-too-sweet herbal infusion that goes nicely with the almost dusty dryness of the pomegranate and tobacco combination. The red musk and cognac give this scent the warmth that is needed to keep it from turning too bitter on my skin. There's something about this scent that is indeed evocative of that wonderful autumnal outdoors scent, when some vegetation is still green and other parts of the vegetation are drying out.

I really, really love this. To me, it's like a mixture of Mme Moriarty (without the patchouli) and Kyoto. The anise is strong, but not overpowering, and it helps to balance the sweetness of the red musk and the sometimes-overpowering tartness of the pomegranate. The cocoa isn't overtly cocoa, and, really, everything is just blended really well. (Well, the scent is, I mean. The oil, however..it's practically impossible to fully integrate the cocoa into the rest of the oil! :lol: ) I do see the comparisons to Bath and Body Works Midnight Pomegranate, though this is much more smooth and beautiful, and it, of course, lacks that somewhat overpowering perfume-y note of the B&BW scent. It's nice and long-lasting, too, which is great. I put it on before bed last night, and can still smell it this morning (approx. six hours later).

I can't smell anything in this blend, wet to drydown, but cocoa and thyme. Chocolate and thyme just doesn't work for me. It's a weird combination. Not grossly unpleasant, but just not very appealing. The fruity undertone doesn't help. This is like some baking attempt gone very awry. This is a no.

I didn't want to like Pomegranate IV because of the cocoa, but somehow it works. I can't stop sniffing my wrists and I like what I smell. I'm reminded of those chocolate oranges one can find at Christmastime. Not that the oil smells like a chocolate orange, but in my mind's eye I see a chocolate pomegranate when I sniff my wrist.

I don't know how often I'll reach for this particular bottle, but it's definitely a keeper.

I really love this. I can smell the chocolate but it's more like baking chocolate not sweet milk chocolate. It's also spicy and the way it smells reminds me of a dessert I ordered at Tango called, El Diablo. It's described as "Bittersweet cube of sinfully rich dark chocolate graced with cayenne, spicy almonds, cocoa nibs and burnt meringue finished with a tequila caramel sauce".

I bought a bottle.

Not for me. I am a firm believer in never mixing chocolate, fruit and booze and this smells like a box of chocolates with liquer in the middle, topped with herbs. :blink:

Edited by Schmoozy

Pom IV is very interesting. On wet, it's a mixture of cocoa and pomegranate, which I found very attractive. However, as it dries, I get more of the thyme. Which unfortunately for me, like sage, it is a very dominant note with my skin chemistry.

So it smells like thyme + pomegranate on me.

If it went back to smelling what it did on wet, I'd buy a bottle.

In the bottle - Soft, candylike pomegranate

Wet on me - A deep tobacco note comes through on a base of cognac with hints of that camdylike pomegranate and spikes of star anise

Dry on me - It goes oddly dust on me, the way I associate with butter or cream

Overall - It's exciting wet, but doesn't play nicely with my skin chemistry

This is juicy and delicious pomegranate; my mouth watered as soon as I sniffed it! The cocoa isn't nearly as prominent as I expected, but it's definitely there: a dry and grounding chocolateness underlying the pomegranate and musk. Over time, however, this is mostly a juicy pomegranate blend, with hints of smooth and smoky complexity underneath it.

Heavy cocoa & tobacco right offhand, and an almost soapy star anise. For such warm notes listed, this blend is surprisingly cool and herbal.

The notes surge over & slide under each other; the scent is choppy, not melded, which is interesting in its own way, since each sniff is different. Cocoa and red musk finally fight their way to the top.

...ending, sadly, in weird herbal soap. Blast my skin.

It reminds me, of what another reviewer said, BBW's Midnight Pomegranate. Really close. Must be the similar notes of anise, tobacco, musk and of course, pomegranate. The scent is nice, but I already have some of the MP perfume, so I would buy a bottle of this. If I want a chocolate note, I can use a single note and layer it with MP. It also doesn't last long on my skin. It quickly fades into a fresh herbal soap. MP lasts longer on me.

Edited by Madame Nyx

I'll be honest, in the imp I mostly get star anise and thyme. Maybe a bit of musk and a wee baby hint of cocoa, but like, no pom at all. 85% anise.

On my skin this is definitely more of a mix of notes-I finally get that pom note, a LOT more cocoa, a touch of tobacco, still a LOT of anise and less thyme. This is a very interesting, unusual blend. I can't think of anything else like it. The more this dries, the more I really like it-the mix of cocoa and anise is really interesting over the backdrop of pom, and the touches of each of the other notes make this a really well rounded, unique scent that I find myself enjoying more and more.

This sort of dries down to a powdery red musk/cocoa scent. This blend is quite a morpher. My favorite phase was when this was wet on my skin after a few minutes. The wet imp smell and the drydown were just meh for me. However, this is a super unique bpal and I am so glad I tested it.

Pomegranate IV

On: Lots of pomegranate and a fair amount of thyme. I'm also getting some warm, red musk.

1 hour in: This combination of cocoa, tobacco, and cognac is to die for. I'm getting some deep red pomegranate, too. Lovely.

2 hours in: Argh. This is turning kind of gross on me. Red musk, I hate you.

4 hours in: This is weird and soapy on me.

Overall: Red musk kills an otherwise great oil for me again. FU, red musk.

Whoa, this was atrocious on me. I'm not sure what did it - I like red musk, I like pomegranate... maybe it was the tobacco note. Whichever it was, wet on my skin I could smell the red musk and the pomegranate which both smelled wonderful, and something disgustingly spicy in a bad way, not in the red musk way. Maybe red musk just interacts differently with pomegranate or something, but this smelled vile. Oh well, all the better for my wallet.

Sniffed: Pomegranate's deep juiciness darkened by delicious cocoa and mellow tobacco, touched with the barest spice and red musk.

On skin: This is one of those amazing blends that's more than the sum of its components. Red, juicy pomegranate is definitely present, as a glowing, clear-yet-deep accent to warm, gritty, nutty tobacco and cocoa. These three notes form the heart of the scent, whilst the others add colour, depth and complexity. I can occasionally smell a touch of bright alcoholism from the cognac, a bite of anise and thyme, and discreet red musk deep in the background. The scent opens up more over time, simultaneously becoming deeper and clearer. A delicious, cozy, warmly glowing blend, and surprisingly old-fashioned to my nose. For some reason, it puts me in mind of a white-haired scholar sitting in front of a fireplace, wearing a dark smoking jacket and smoking a pipe whilst reading a tome. Colour impression is a mix of deep red, brown and black with a warm golden glow.

Verdict: I tried all five Pomegranate Grove blends, and Pomegranate IV is the runaway winner! What a gorgeous showcase of the pomegranate note -- this is the blend that turned me onto pomegranate, as well as cocoa. Definitely worth a bottle!

I don’t really like BPAL’s pomegranate note, but I must have gotten this as a frimp somehow, so I tried it. Surprisingly, not bad. I usually like the red musk and anise combination and I like it here too. Unfortunately I’m not a huge fan of adding pom to it, but this isn’t one of the pom scents that I dislike so much I want to scrub right off.

Woah. This is so thick, I feel like I'm smearing on some chocolate pudding! I definately get the chocolate, red musk, and pomegranate up front. It's kind of a sweltering, spicy, earthy smell. It strikes me as lusty and sensual. A hot and horny barbarian queen could totally wear this.

The anise is in the background adding more of a menthol vibe than a licorice one. As this dries down, I get the thyme, and once it shows up, it's a very true and present note that I can't help but notice. I have thyme in my garden. This is an interesting melange of notes, and I'm glad I got introduced to it. I also think this might be fun to smell on a man. Quite complex and unusual.

So after my shower tonight, I grabbed from my imp ammo case, and happened to grab this. I must’ve gotten this as a frimp sometime, or I got it as a decant in one of the first decant circles I bought from in 2010...

Well, normally I avoid anise and licorice notes, they’re too strong for me. But over time the anise must’ve mellowed, because now this is amazing!!! Sweet juicy Pom and red musk, with a little cocoa and tobacco. Very nice!!!

UGH. I fricken love this!

If I die. When I die. Toss whatever remains of this into my coffin, because this is one of those scents that was love at first sniff. 

In the bottle I get deep pomegranate and chocolate, like some outrageously expensive candy you can only dream of having the luxury of having a box full. There's also a bit of chewiness to it, possibly the tobacco. It's a rich deep chocolate, almost a bakers really, not the sickly sweet kind that some perfume takes on but something rich and full and intoxicating. On me it goes a bit odd for a few moments, the cognaic jumping out before being reigned back in. Chocolate and Pomegranate reign over the rest of the blend, lasting well past the 8 hour mark, a surprising win for putting up with a commute, summer heat, and grueling workdays. It's complex and chewy, and one of those scents I keep lifting my wrist to my nose throughout the day. The throw is also surprisingly good on me, it stays close but pleasantly strong, in a way that feels powerful but not overpowering. Tragically, I only have about a decant dregging in the bottle, so I think this will be saved for when I really need that extra vavavoom. It's sexy, it's mysterious, it's an absolute win. Now please, do excuse me while I go back to huffing the bottle.