Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

POMEGRANATE III
Pomegranate, Tamil Nadu sandalwood, lavender, tamarind, hazelnut, Atlas cedarwood, sugar date, bitter clove, and Arabian myrrh.

In bottle: This is sharp and dry and definitely Autumnal. The cederwood evokes wooden barrels. This is pleasantly bitter, yet sweet and spicy. Each element adds a special spin to the whole. The hazelnut is the least distinct, but all elements add to the special old time general store in autumn feel of this. I’m particularly impressed by the way the tamarind, lavender, and clove play with each other in this, but it’s all lovely and all unexpected. Wet: The myrrh is less friendly on my skin and the cedar sharper, but the strengthening of the pomegranate, date, and tamarind help it find a new balance with my natural skin chemistry. It’s still not as lovely as it was in the bottle, but it’s trying very hard. Dry: cloved pomegranate mostly, with hints of the others, enough to retain interest. It’s a bit desiccated, but it still works.

Why no more Pomegranate III love? Tamil Nadu Sandalwood? Sugared Date? Yes, please. In the bottle, this is a bright, tart pop of juicy pomegranate. I don't smell anything else until I put it on, then the other ingredients come out to play. I can't discern most of the individual notes - this seems like a "layered" scent to me - a cloud of juicy pomegranate, and a close-to-the skin woodsy-spicy and slightly sweet base. I really like this, but it's pretty low on staying power. Starts off with decent throw, but completely gone after four hours.

Pomegranate III - Oh, pretty pretty! This is very much like a Middle Eastern-style scent. Reminds me of the Halloweenie version of Khajuraho. It opens up with a blast of date and spicy clove and right behind that is a wave of sweet, dark, deep, red, juicy pomegranate and husky, sexy myrrh. As the initial blast fades away and the scent starts to warm up on my skin, I can also smell the sandalwood and a tiny hint of lavender -- so tiny that even I, the lavender-hater, can still handle this scent. Overall, it's an incredibly beautiful, complex scent, with a cornucopia of scents and "flavors" about it. It's really awesome. I just wish it were stronger and lasted on my skin longer. For a myrrh blend, this fades too quickly from my skin (my skin usually grips on to myrrh and won't let go).

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

Imp: Pomegranete, lavendar, spices, and deliciousness

Wet: Lavander, Pomegranate and sugared date. Wow this is good.

Drydown: Same as above, but with some gorgeous clove mixed in. This is just lovely. All these notes are working *with* the pomegranate without being overpowering.

Overall: Most of what I'm getting is the Pomegranate and sugared date...but it is SO good. This is a bottle buy. It's lovely. This Pom really needs more forum love :heart:

In this blend, I get almost no pomegranate at first. This is all sexy clove and cedar and sandalwood. Superbly blended, sexy, warm. The clove is bitter but not astringent. Lavender haters, I wouldn't worry too much--the lavender is subsumed under the cedar and clove. As it dries, the pomegranate shows up with the clove, and it's almost a bit old-timey christmassy, reminiscent of clove-studded oranges. It's got a decent throw, not huge and smothering but also not too shy. It's got a little bit of sweetness to it, but in a baked-goods-in-an-adjacent-room kind of way. The myrrh and sandalwood keep it warm and homey. It's absurdly well blended and balanced. Seriously, this is a masterpiece. Sadly, it goes a touch potpourri on me (sort of like apple does) after about a half an hour or so, so if I wear it, it'll probably be in a locket to preserve that lovely middle phase as long as possible.

Edited by hazakaza

Pomegranate is such a funny note. In Pom IV it turned bitter with the red musk and cocoa. Here it starts out juicy and then blends with the lavender to make it nice and soft and pretty. No clove, no myrrh just soft pom and lavender. This imp is a keeper just for the uniqueness of it.

Wet: acrid wood

On skin: fragrant sweet wood

Half-hour later: more clove and lavender with the sweet woods

In conclusion: this was a pleasant combo of fragrant woods and lavender, sweetened slightly by the pom. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, especially since a few of these ingredients can be overwhelming blend-killers on me.

wet: juicy pomegranate

dry: juicy pomegranate with subtle woods

later: datey, lavendary, woods

Yum. And it's lasted all day all be it it's a close to the skin scent.

Starts off as sharp, medicinal, slightly headache-inducing lavender and clove. The pomegranate isn't very strong here at all but lends a sweet softness to that herbal lavender as this dries. The woods and myrrh come out to give this more depth. For such a complex scent, though, this is very light and has little throw.

First off, I feel like I should mention that I don't actually enjoy the lab's pomegranate note. It smells bitter and dry on me, like really bad, artificial, sweet tarts candies. So I wasn't too hopeful about the bunch of Pom scents this year.

In the bottle, this smells spicy, dry, and fruity, in a way that reminds me of cheap potpourri.

On my skin, Pom III dances around between smelling like cider scented potpourri/candle and sweet tarts candies. I was hoping for more of a woods blend, but it's oddly waxy and blandly spicy smelling. It doesn't really smell like clove on me either, more of a dusty cinnamon type of smell. Weird. The drydown is just like old, dusty, cinnamon scented potpourri flakes (and I think the pom note is what is making this smell so dry/dusty on my skin). I'm not getting any of the woods, lavender, myrrh, or really any of the notes that I was hoping for.

So, yeah, this isn't working for me at all :(.

Pomegranate is a note I do well with, and pumpkin isn't. I was so excited to see a whole grove of pom scents this year!

In the vial: Delicious! Very fruity pomegranate, a touch of lavender, something woody, and it's very bright as well.

Wet: Fruity wood with lavender and a touch of something warm, maybe the myrrh?

One hour: The fruit note has subsided into gentleness, and the woods and lavender have taken over. There's something almost citrusy about it, and there's a warm spiciness underneath. It's not going to be the home run I hoped it would be, but it's very nice.

Three hours: Woody light pomegranate. I'm not so much getting sandalwood as I am cedar, but it's very well behaved cedar. (I can tolerate the stronger kind too, but this is very civilized.) The myrrh and wood give it a traditional sort of undertone, but it's a little sweetish on top. Still haven't gotten any cloves, per se.

This was the best of the whole Pomegranate Grove on my skin, which was what I expected judging by the listed notes.

I get a fair amount of lavender, date, and pomegranate in this scent. It smells very nice and probably because of the lavender, it seems to have a calming effect on me whenever I sniff my arm.

I get nothing but a bright sparkly pom scent from this....no lavender, spices or anything else. Not a keeper for me, I prefer Swank. To the frimp pile!

In the decant: Cedar, cloves, lavender and sweet dates.

Wet on skin: Pomegranate, red and tangy, lavendar, the resins, the cedarwood.

Dry on skin: Warm and comforting light resinous scent, with a wood base. I get no more lavender after it has dried. There's not much throw on my skin, but it lasts a while.

Final thoughts: My boyfriend said that Pomegranate III "smells like Strawberry Shortcake doll", but he gets nothing of this pretty blend! This is a resinous and woodsy scent, that stays close to the skin. I'm not sure I want a bottle, I think my decant will be enough.

The more I try to review the more I realize I suck at picking notes out. This is.. tart pomegranate juice at first and then... spicy pom... I can't pick out the spices.. it's kind of woody, kind of clovey - but a dry non-sweet clove. I don't get the baking association some other reviewers picked up on..

Wet to dry the spices just come out more.. it stays very close to the skin.

This is very nice, it doesn't turn potpourri-ish on me at all and remains a non-sweet but spicy pomegranate scent.. I just realized - the pom here is the same as drinking straight up pom juice.. it's not sweet, but tart and very delicious.

I am glad I got a bottle unsniffed - I wasn't sure if I liked pom before, but I certainly know I do now!

This one is odd. It starts of all lavender and pom - not a bad blend, but unexpected. Any sandalwood just grounds it. But as it dries down I get something slightly familiar (aha! the tamarind!). This scent doesn't morph so much as reveal itself. There's a little clove when sniffed up close. Cedar is nowhere to be found.

This is the strangest scent. Lavender/pom/tamarind is the main thrust. The base notes just kind of shift around. I wasn't too enthralled with this scent, but I keep getting wafts of it and it is so very pretty! It's been on for 3 hours now, and it's sandalwood & tamarind with a touch of herbal pom. Every stage is almost a whole new scent, and they're all pretty.

eta: The nuts come out on the extreme drydown. I bet it'll age like woah. :wub2: Bottle buy!

Wow! Was I wrong about this! Now that it's settled & blended, it's nowhere near as spectacular. Still nice, but not a bottle buy.

Edited by surlygurl

Definitely odd, but very autumnal. I get pom, cedar and middle eastern spices. It does make me think of the autumn version of Khajuraho. I get a teeny whiff of lavender on wet, but definitely becomes spicier as it dries down.

This one is very soft on my skin. I think I can smell a bit of creamy sandalwood and maybe a bit of pomegranate, but that is all....

Whoa, after a bit this blend turns kind of herbally. Lavender?

Very interesting.

At first, the sandalwood is wonderful in this blend. But as pom usually does, it it amps on me, drowns everything else out and turns it very candylike and sweet. For those of you who like jolly ranchers, this would be a one of the pomegranate kind. (If they were made of course!) I get a bit of a dusty nut vibe too. I'd love a pom blend to work on me, but alas, this isn't it.

Source: fresh decant

In the decant: A pomegranate pomander. Pomegranate with sandalwood and clove and spice, but the pom is paramount.

Wet: A fascinating blend of fruits, spices and woods.

Dry: A balanced, fairly soft drydown. I dig this, though I'm not sure it's a bottle purchase.

I'm a hyooge pomegranate fan and will snap up anything from the Lab with a pomegranate note listed. That said, Pomegranate III is one of my least favorite scents. The sharpness of the lavender conflicts with the pom's juiciness and leaves an unsettling scent on my arm. It's not quite astringent, but it's unpleasant. I haven't tried Pom V (with the dreaded vetiver) so we'll see if III or V winds up at the bottom of my pom pile.

So my overall experience with the pom grove was really disappointing. I was hoping this one would be stunning, but unfortunately it's the pom that ruins it. All of the other notes blend together seamlessly, and then the pom barges in and somehow makes it smell all soapy.

It smells wonderful when wet. All sorts of nutty, clovey goodness, with the juicy pomegranate brightening things up. It does turn out a bit dry-smelling after it sits for a while, but the goodness before that stage makes up for it. It's complex, but not too complicated, and just the right balance of sweet and bitter. Tasty!

In the bottle - A soft green lavender

Wet on me - Slightly sweetened with herbs, but still mostly lavender

Dry on me - A soft, soothing lavender blend, not a great deal of pomegranate

Overall - This would be great for bedtimes, it's soothing and relaxing, but not so HELLO LAVENDER that it wouldn't be wearable as a scent