Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ishianti

Halloween: Brooklyn

HALLOWEEN: BROOKLYN
When I was very little, my father took me to the Green-Wood Cemetery so that I could pay my respects to those who had passed before us. I remember the afternoon as cold and clear, I remember picking up pine cones and putting them in my mother’s handbag, and I remember the blanket of purple flowers that dotted the grass.

Flowering dogwood, weeping cherry, Korean pine, camellia, moonflower, Alberta spruce, arborvitae, and crab apples.

The spruce stood out the most in the bottle, almost so much that it scared me.

On the dry down, the other scents I so wanted started to emerge, the dogwood started to take the forefront thank goodness! It becomes far more floral, I can detect the moonflower which I love and over all I get a greeny-floral scent, but it seems to fade rather quickly on me.

I was pleasantly surprised over all, but sad that it doesn't seem to stand out more. I'm definitely keeping this one though.

A dusty pine chest. No, woods, woods in fall, cool pines and nettles all over the ground, the last pollen of summer drifting through the air. No apples, no flowers, just pure, gentle, dusty pine, not sharp or astringent or punchy, but gentle and warm. Some of the florals might be doing some backup work here, but my nose isn't refined enough to detect them. This is the spruce / pine swan song, and it's beautiful (and not terribly masculine, in my opinion) but not quite my style.

Fresh Green Grass with hints of wet cement. (wet) Drydown: Green grass, green leaves, and sunlight with hints of cement. I don't know how Beth does it but she does. This is a lovely grass scent...but definitely not for me.

I have to admit, I was a little surprised/confused when I compared the note description to what I smell. The first thing that jumps out at me is the aquatic nature. It's very clean, but definitely aquatic. As it fades, it becomes a little more flowery, but trees/woods I never smelled. Water when wet, soft flowers when dry.

In the imp my first impression is of eucalyptus. Maybe eucalyptus and pine. Smells pretty interesting.

On my skin I still get a eucalyptus vibe but now there's other things going on too. A general feeling of woods, some soft florals and a little something piercing that might be the pine. It ends up being a very mellow sort of soft floral - all the notes are mixed so well that after a short while it's hard to pick out individual components. This feels like a gentle green floral, drastically different than what I smelled in the imp. It's a pretty scent, but not what I'm looking for.

I had high hopes for this, because I love apple scents & the lab's moonflower note and I usually like evergreen blends.

In the bottle and on my skin at first, this is bright, sharp evergreen (more an impression of yellowy-green than dark green). It dries down to a cool evergreen and gentle floral smell that's a bit on the clean side of things. It smells like jogging past a misty pine forest on a crisp, foggy morning. It's very pretty, but it has awful throw and staying power on my skin. It's only strong for about 10 minutes and fades away entirely before a half hour is up.

Brooklyn is a pretty, cool, clean, evergreen & soft floral blend. I wish that it had better staying power and that I could pick out the apple or moonflower notes, though. I think my decant of this will be enough when I want a quick vision of 'pine forest in a park'...

This was initially very heavy on the evergreen notes.. with time it sweetened up a bit and got very light. There was an unfortunate bitter note that came out on my skin in the dry down. This blend was just a bit underwhelming as I was very excited to smell Brooklyn in the fall. oh well!

Wow, this is verdant scent. As soon as I apply it, it springs out, grass and trees dripping with dew. I'm not really familiar with the trees listed in the notes--I've not spent a lot of time on the East coast--but this is certainly evocative. It's not piney, as I expected based on the spruce. Over time, the florals quietly emerge, lending an extra sweetness to the blend. Cool and green and laid-back and slightly flowery. I like it.

to me this is aquatic and sad, a beautifully melancholy scent. I get the dogwood, weeping cherry, and and camellia. I think this scent is beautiful, but I'm not sure how much I'll wear it.

In the decant it's very green, a mixture of various planty smells. An almost minty herbal quality comes and goes as I sniff it. The overall impression is tomato leaf-like to my nose. On my skin it's about the same, but also a bit floral. My skin is turning it to soap, unfortunately...

Halloween: Brooklyn - In the bottle, this smells of high-pitched florals and little else. It took me a long time to get around to testing it because those florals scared me off. When I put it on my skin, however, other notes come into play and while the florals are still fairly high-pitched on me, I can also smell fresh air and clean greenery. I've spent time in Brooklyn and this does remind me of the scent of a small park in the middle of the city, with flowering trees and slightly trampled grass and maybe even a bit of the smell of city and cement around the neighborhood oasis. It's quite an evocative scent, and one I am guessing will be much-loved by those who enjoy clean, fresh tree-and-greenery type scents.

On wet, I found that it was a very aggressive green/wood type. I definitely got pine and spruce, and something that smells like persimmons to me. As it dried, those elements calmed down and its more light florals (hello moonflower!).

It has a distinctive Asian feel to me. Light florals, green woods, nostalgia.

In the imp: a sharp greenish floral with bright pine resin.

Wet on skin: pine resin, bright and green like crushed needles.

Dry on skin: this is really pretty. There’s a lovely natural scent of leaves and dampness from rain or dew, soft moss growing on stone, along with the (now fainter) scent of pine needles and tree bark. I don’t smell cherry or apple here at all-there’s nothing really fruity. But I do smell flowers, fresh moonflower and camellia, floral notes that are crystalline and sophisticated and give that scent of grown up perfume. It also smells like the sort of scent I wanted to get from Sky City Before-the scent of stone and buildings with fresh greenery and flowers and the perfumes of the citizens caught in the daily rush.

After a while: the scent does get fainter, but it doesn’t change too much-it now has the feel of fresh air scented with soft hints of mossy stone, a bit of water (from fountains or ponds) and leaves and flowers. I wouldn’t say it’s autumnal as such, but it’s a scent that seems to depict a city park or a leafy district of a large city in any season. It’s really pretty and light-but I wish it didn’t fade so fast!

Verdict: I think this is my favourite of the city themed Halloween scents-I wasn’t expecting it to be, with the apples and flowers, but it’s really beautiful. This has something that reminds me of the Wanderlust range to it, evocative of the mood, elegantly perfumey, but also bringing to mind some of the more pleasant scents of the place it evokes. This brings to mind waling through a city park whilst wearing a classy yet gentle perfume. This manages to be fresh yet urban-almost like a progression from Manhattan (which makes sense). Despite the fruit notes, I don’t smell any-what I get is a cool breeze scented with leaves, tree bark, grass, water, moss growing on stone and floral perfume. The only downside being that it does smell faint after a short while, but even so, I think I need a bottle.

Emoticon rating:

Is it a keeper? :heart:

If you like this, try: Manhattan, Fox Fires on New Year’s Eve, Sky City Before (if you can get it)

Ooo, pretty. This reminds me of early Vinland, before it broke my heart and got all wintergreen-y in later batches. It's fresh, green, floral, and sweet all at once. Problem is, it fades. Fast. I'm usually all about the lighter scents (I prefer my perfume to smell like me, only better), and I'm all over anything that smells like greenery and flowers and the fresh outdoors, but try as I might, I can't smell a thing after about 30 minutes. Sad.

Tart apples, pine and spruce. It's kinda medicinal, very green, yet extremely faint. It's also very cool, almost minty.

I wish it would last longer though. As soon as it dries, it's literally vanished.

When I first sniffed this, it smelled quite acrid in the imp. Trying it this morning, I don't get the strong wood, or whatever it was. Just a light, fresh green blend. I can't really pick anything out, and as others have noted, it fades very fast. I just put this on 15 minutes ago, and I can barely smell it. Nice, but too fast of a fader.

Very green in the bottle, almost ivy-like, and spruce/pine was intense on my skin at first. Sweet, soft florals were next. Very pretty. Unfortunately, the throw on this is very weak and I can hardly smell anything nearly 3 hours after application.

A mix of wood that comes up as a pretty perfume. Must be the florals coming through, but grounded by the wood.

In the decant: Whoa. Something intense is coming out of that oil.

Wet: This is much spicier than expected—the spruce and pine are really the most dominant things in there, aren’t they? This might be good on Mr. Muse. Not sure if it’s for me, though.

Drydown: I smell some of the other things in the blend now. Nice, but I still suspect it will be better on a dude.

Never gets that much better on me, and it doesn’t work on my husband, either. Oh well. Can’t win 'em all.

In the bottle: There's pines, cherry wood, those lovely little tart crab apples, and some florals.

Wet: The moment this hit my skin, it became all pine, all the time. :(

The dry-down: Thank goodness! The pine has calmed down, and now, with the dogwood, the cherry wood (or is it blossoms), and the camellia, it's evocative of a Georgia forest in the spring time. I don't know from Brooklyn, but we have all the plants that are listed as scent notes right here in Georgia. I'm going to put this away and then break it out next spring, when it should be just perfect.

wet in bottle: sharp and nasty. I have no idea what those notes are but one thing's for certain - I don't like it.

a few minutes later: It has morphed into a beautiful cherry blossom scent which reminds me of voyeurs among the cherry blossoms. So glad I bought it and didn't reject it outright!

This is a strange mix of notes to my nose! On the surface, it seems very green and fresh with the pine and spruce.. and the moonflower is quite bright. If I sniff a bit deeper, I find the crab apples.

The cherry never really shows up on my skin, nor the camellia (which isn't a particularly fragrant flower anyway, to me) - mostly Halloween: Brooklyn is green, pine-ish and slightly woody.

1246918217_33P4A-Ti.jpg

Of all the Mnemosyne scents, this is by far my favorite, although Halloween: San Francisco is so close in standing, they're practically tied. OK, they are tied. I love them both so, so much, though for different reasons. This scent, which is of my beloved evergreens with the slightest hint (to me) of eucalyptus which is another favorite scent, and an even slighter aquatic hint, is so very enjoyable I can't stop huffing my wrists, but it's not weak so that I need to bury my nose in the wrist to smell. And even better, it doesn't change substantially on my skin so that it's also enjoyable in the Snow-Glass-Apples scent locket I wore. There was also an underscent (to me) of dead leaves, which is one of my favorite autumnal scents, making this really, really great for me. It is one of the few BPAL scents which doesn't morph too much from the bottle to my skin in smell, and it totally evokes Halloween to me. I envy people who live where this scent is everywhere!