Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Espresso, pumpkin syrup, smoky vanilla bean, milk, raw sugar, and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Le sigh. This is stunning in the bottle. Smokey and toasty with the sweetness of pumpkin spice and vanilla. But on me, it just becomes rather than "a dash" of cinnamon, like the lid fell off the cinnamon shaker and dumped a shite ton of cinnamon into my pumpkin spice latte. I ended up smelling like a fall potpourri blend.

Huh? Could have sworn I left a review back for the 2011 version, since that (and The Gorobble) were my FIRST Lab purchases. This is the 2016 version and like the others, it doesn't disappoint! Always loved this blend.

It is a perfect coffee/pumpkin/spice blend. All notes are there and I love the strong throw of it! To me, this is the epitome of what Autumn/Fall/Halloween should smell like! :)

2016 version. I don't detect a coffee note in this, or any distinct notes at all, actually. It's a well blended, soft and warm fall scent. For me, this is the big winner among this year's Halloweenies.

Wet in the bottle, this smells like pumpkin latte, although the coffee not is faint. Wet on the skin, the coffee note pretty much disappears on me, and it smells like pastry. It took me awhile to think of what this reminded me of, and then I got it. It smells almost exactly like "Mornings in New Orleans", from Liliths 2014(?). And the same overwhleming scent, too, although it wasn't until the second application a few hours later that this came clear. Just a light swipe of the imp wand was so strong a co-worker across the (small) room asked what the smell was. I had to use an alcohol wipe because it was giving me a headache.

I'm going to stash this until next year, see how it ages. If it doesn't tame, or the coffee note (my whole raison d'achat) doesn't become more prominent I'll make it a room spray. It's not a *bad* scent, but now something I want to *wear*, at least, not yet.

Wet: Hmm, I don't actually get any coffee or milk out of this, making it more like a pumpkin spice candle than anything else. One of the notes is going a bit "off" on me, giving me that dry, dusty smell/feeling I don't care for.

Dry: This recovers from that dry dustiness I don't like, but is still much more pumpkin candle than coffee. I don't dislike it, but would like it much more as a room scent than perfume.

2016 Edition- fresh bottle Pumpkin Latte:

Received 1/17/17 sampled same day. In bottle strong dash of coffee, slight cream and sweet pumpkin. Wet on skin crunchy orange coffee over pumpkin. On dry down crunchiness subsiding to let the coffee aroma rise with the spices, exotic very little pumpkin remaining. Reminiscent of coffee cake.

All day wear test

1/19/17 The scent is not overly sweet but rich and gritty coffee with pumpkin spice scent. There is decent throw and after 2 hours and 4 hours there is minimum fade. It stays Dark and spicy overall lasting well past the 8 hour mark.

By the very end of the night the scent was decidedly pumpkin spiced with low layer of coffee. It was delicious all day long

I am interested to see how it ages.

2016 vintage:

Wow, this really is a pumpkin latte with a hit of cinnamon and nutmeg. The pumpkin isn't overwhelming on me; it's nicely balanced. The coffee note always gets a little weird on my skin, so I might use this in an oil burner next fall rather than trying to work it as perfume.

2016 version.

In the decant: Espresso sweetened by some pumpkin syrup and filled with pumpkin spice. I also get the milk note.

Wet: The espresso and spices are very strong when this first hits my skin. Then the spices just take over, especially the cinnamon. I tend to amp spice, so I am not surprised. I am getting some frothy milk in the background, which I hope helps to tame the spice. I get the sweetness of the pumpkin syrup after a bit, but the spices, especially the cinnamon, reign supreme.

Dry: Sadly, this is pumpkin spice and pumpkin syrup all the time on me. The espresso is present in the background, but not nearly as strong as the spice aspect, and the milk is also in the background. The sugar is present but not a main player, and I am not getting much in the way of vanilla.

After a few hours, the nutmeg ends up being the strongest note of them all. The nutmeg and espresso are somewhat bitter. I wish this were sweeter on me.

Verdict: I almost bought a blind bottle of this in 2016, but I decided against it due to Liliths and Yules calling to me more. Well… I am glad I did not buy a bottle. On me, it’s more like how Pumpkin Spice Everything hair gloss is in my hair, with some espresso in the background, and as far as scents with pumpkin spice go, I know I wouldn’t reach for this one over others that I own. I still have to test a decant of the hair gloss, which smells more promising to me as it is sweeter and heavier on the coffee. I’m hoping that ends up working out since I don’t have to worry about amping the spices with the hair gloss!

Edited by dementia_divine

Review for the 2011 version.

I already have a decant of the Pumpkin Latte Hair Gloss and really enjoyed it, so once I found out there was a perfume oil as well, I was eager to try it out. It's a very sweet coffee scent, but weirdly enough I'm not getting any pumpkin. Basically every other note is present in this, especially the espresso, cinnamon and vanilla bean. Throw is kind of low on this, but the wear time is pretty good at least! I may try out a newer year version to see if the pumpkin is more prominent in it.

If you have the hair gloss, this makes a great compliment for it. However, they smell pretty different to me. The hair gloss has more pumpkin and the overall scent is stronger, while the perfume oil has no pumpkin to me and is faint.

2010 bottle:

Dense, thick, and sweet. This year of Pumpkin Latte boldly speaks to me every time I wear it. I am struck by a whiff of fuzzy coffee, like the Lab's hazelnut note. The coffee bean itself has been corrupted into a syrupy drink for the masses. Now, this is not maple syrup at all; this is a spicy pumpkin syrup, liberally swirled into hazelnut espresso and steamed over a creamy  base. (Not a dairy note, thank goodness!). It all plays surprisingly nicely on my skin. The pumpkin's pulp doesn't go buttery, the syrup doesn't turn into caramel hell, no curdling milk, and the hazelnut doesn't rub me the wrong way for long.

It's good to note that there's quite a bit of a dusty cinnamon in here. While it's not a HOT cinnamon, it is bold and earthy. (Thanks, nutmeg?) Without any clove and ginger, this won't smell like your traditional Pumpkin Spice, but I still get hella fall vibes from this bottle and would only wear it in the latter half of the year! It's one of the few scents I've gotten comments on at work, where someone walking down the hall commented that the air smelled like fall. Why, thank you! So, big throw on me, and it lasts quite a few hours too.

The last note is that, despite the similar names, this scent is VERY different from 2021's PSL Pumpkin Snake Latte! 2010 Pumpkin Latte is thiccc and hazy and sweet and not musky at all. PSL grows more Snake Oily by the day, with just a whiff of black coffee and a ton of musky vanilla. The two occupy vastly different spaces in my collection, but both are amazing. Highly recommend Pumpkin Latte if you like gourmands, hazelnut, and cinnamon. YUM. 

I would wear this while: making a hall smell like fall.