Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
AliBabble

Dia De Los Natitas

DIA DE LOS ÑATITAS
On November 8, the indigenous people of Bolivia share the day with the bones of their ancestors, a custom that has its roots in pre-Columbian Quechua / Aymara spiritual practise. Each person has seven souls, and one stays with the skull after a person dies. The seventh souls can visit loved ones in dreams, grant aid in times of need, perform miracles, and are empowered to bring bounty to the spirit's descendants. The skulls of a person's deceased ancestors are cleaned, blessed, and sanctified, and are brought home to reside with their living relatives. On the Day of the Skulls, these souls are honored, and thanks is given for the blessings they have granted in the previous year. Their skulls are taken from the home altars they reside in to a graveyard in order to receive a mass blessing. They are crowned with colorful knitted caps or gorgeous rings of fresh flowers, are given offerings of food, cocoa leaves, sweets, alcohol, and cigarettes, and are serenaded by street musicians.

Hydrangea blossoms and rose petals, cigarette smoke, cocoa leaves, and chichi.

i think i'm gonna like this one - it smells mellow, not at all sharp, and very unlike any other scents that i own. i think i'm smelling more hydrangea than rose - it gives the feeling of a "floral water" in its mellowness. like smelling blossoms outside, by a creek, very light and natural, not high-pitched. almost an orange-y tinge, like orange blossom water, in feeling...if i had to pin it down, but it's a floral i'm not familiar with - must be the hydrangea. i get more of the cigarette smoke from the bottle, and not so much on my skin, but whatever the smoke is doing, it's not an "ashtray-ish" feeling, as much as the very faint lingering of someone's cigarette in night air, and just adds a "dusky" quality, if that makes any sense. i don't smoke cigarettes, but love the smell and idea of tobacco as an offering, and it's more of that feeling. there's also something vaguely fruity or fermented, like raisins almost - think this might be chichi. there is a faint chocolate-iness as well, blending w/ the tobacco...dunno, this one's hard to describe - it's more atmospheric than note-y, if that makes any sense - in other words, very blended into one thing - for me this will be very wearable, as it feels watery - which i love, and not sharp, but mellow in tone. really like this one!!

This opens up as a subtle and fairly generic floral scent with a swirl of smoke all around it. It's actually really lovely! This is the second "cigarette smoke" scent I've tried and loved, so I guess that's a note I really like. The cocoa leaves give the scent a bit of an earthy dryness. It's cocoa-y and dry-leafy at the same time. I have no idea what chichi is and how it may be adding to the overall scent. Sadly, this scent is very subtle when it's wet and virtually non-existent when it dries down. I put it on, finished my makeup, left the house, started the car, and by the time I got on the road 5 minutes after applying, it was totally gone -- not a trace to be found.

In the decant, I wasn't real impressed with this, but I tried it on, just to see. It's kind of a sweet scent. A little powdery, almost citrus-y in spots. Not much throw, and after an hour, it's sticking close to the skin, but still hanging around. I don't really get any rose, but the cigarette smoke is there. Not obnoxiously so, just gives it a "hazy" kind of feel.

I'm so glad I tried this one! I definitely get the rose petals, which luckily smell more fresh than dried. The rest of the notes just blend so well together it's hard to pick them out. Like a previous reviewer said, there really is a "dusky" feel to this. It's a very nostalgic scent for me and makes me feel slightly wistful.

I need a bottle to slather myself with since it is a rather close to the skin scent. But I love it nonetheless. :wub2:

Oddly watery and masculine to my nose. I do get a hint of rose, but this mostly just smells like a generic man's cologne to me, with a hint of smoke.

This is great! This is the first weenie I gave the all day wear test and I really like it.. it's easy to wear. I think I read the cigarette smoke as more of an "ozoney" note, and it mixes and swirls with soft sweet florals, and yes I get a slight hint of dried cocoa from time to time. I find it kinda languid and calm. Can't wait to get a bottle :D

What's in the imp is faint but has that vomit/chewable vitamin edge to it. I couldn't figure out what it was, so I dabbed it on to sniff on my skin. Sadly, that didn't enlighten me, so it'll remain a mystery.

I get a bland sweet floral and a waft of dirty smoke, and maybe a little dry cocoa. It's not offensive but it's not good. On the plus side (for me), it's very light, just as it was in the imp.

In the vial: Aquatic high floral.

Wet: High floral with aquatic background. No detectable rose, smoke, or cocoa notes.

One hour: Much calmer now, but somewhat soapy. I get a strong sweetness with a rosy overtone, but rose is not where the soap is coming from. This one is really puzzling, nothing at all like I expected.

This one also disappeared into my skin pretty quickly and was gone after a couple of hours.

This is an aquatic light floral scent on me. Smoke is barely there. Though the floral notes are light, it's still a bit too much floral for my tastes.

Wet: this reminded me of a beauty salon in the sixties...hair spray, hair dye, and the scent of hair dryers

Dry: for a while, the ozone-y scent just overpowered everything else. Then some soapy florals came out a bit, but they were more dead than alive.

Not much throw, but the scent on my skin lasted a good six hours or so. Make that a bad six hours or so.

Clearly, this didn't work on my skin a little--but remember, my skin is WEIRD.

Edited by tarotgirl

A dirty aquatic floral. Quite different.

Going back to read the scent description, it makes sense considering what this depicts.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

I was expecting this to smell like rose and smoky cocoa, but I don't get any cocoa or smokiness. This mostly smells like a sharp, perfumey floral with an undertone of watery, soapy, cologne-y men's aftershave. As it dries down, I can smell a bit of sweet rose, but this is mostly a soapy mess on my skin. :(

The hydrangea is intense and piercing on first application, and only slightly mediated by a--rather astringent--rose note. There's a hint of smokiness and incense, but over time, the blend becomes a laid-back blend of rose lotion (I'm not sure how else to describe it) with a hint of incense. It's slightly powdery and, despite the smoke, quite clean-smelling.

To me, this is better suited for spring. This is quite florally, kind of like the honeysuckle/jasmine type floral, but it doesn't go powdery. I do get a teensy bit of rose. I didn't know hydrangea had a scent, as the ones I've smelled up North here definitely don't. Whatever the case, this is way to heady for me.

This is one floral-y scent that actually ended up working for me, and was a surprise hit of the 'Weens this year! It sort of dries to a very nice hydrangea/cocoa leaf/tobacco blend for me. The throw isn't as long as I'd like (about 4-5 hours at most), but it's still lovely. I'm glad I got a partial of this one.

In the decant: Just a whiff of the cigarette smoke, thank goodness. A bit of the flowers, and some things I don’t recognize.

Wet: Wow, LOTS of things I don’t recognize.

Drydown: This is really hard to describe. It’s kind of sweet, but kind of not… that’s not very descriptive, I know. It’s pleasantly unusual, but has a bit of a darker edge to it.

Later: This is doing something odd to my skin. It’s very tingly, and I seem to be sweating where I applied? This is a little disconcerting—I’ve never had a reaction like this with anything else, even the super-spicy things. Think I better wash off. It’s too bad. This is like nothing I’ve ever smelled, and I do like it—but if a blend is making me physically uncomfy, I know I shouldn’t wear it.

In the imp: Lots of roses, but soft and gentle, perhaps a pink rose?

Wet: A hint of the smoke and there's another floral note that I'm not familiar with, so that must be the hydrangea. And also a touch of cocoa, but a tad minty, so that's its leaves.

The dry-down: The flowers are slowly drying up and the cigarette smoke may be going stale. Interesting but I'm afraid it will just get worse. :( Really wanted to like this, but it's not as amazing as I hoped it would be. It's nice, but nothing special. :(

Went very soapy on me, very fast. But also minty to almost pine-y(?) on the dry down. Not much like I was expecting at all.

Edited by Pika

Mm so good! It reminds me of Szepassony (sp?) after it has aged at lost its citrus tinge. But with more flowers. I can see how it could get soapy on someone, but on me it's pretty wispy flowers, kind of melancholy.

Oooh I like it a lot. It's soft and... nearing powdery, and it reminds me a bit of The ghastly garden!

Warm, dark red shades paired with purple and strands of yellow/brown.

Subtle, and pretty immersive to it's context.. The chocolate in here is to die for (so is the rose)!!!

Full disclosure: I have no idea what hydrangea smells like and I don't know what chichi is.

But what I get from this at first is something like chewy SweeTarts candy, ginger, and a bit of mentholated smoke? I didn't get much rose or cocoa from this one, and eventually, the smoke wins out, although without the touch of menthol that was infused with the smoke in the beginning. It doesn't smell like oh god, get it off me cigarette smoke, though.

I was thinking this might be a cacao-tinged floral scent, but that's not how it ended up on me. The candy phase in the beginning was nice, though! :P 

Edited by doomsday_disco