Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Blue Pumpkin Floss

Puffy clouds of pumpkin candyfloss with a trickle of blackberry juice.

I had to check the label after reading the reviews. My first impression is every single review so far is totally wrong.

On me, BPF has zero spice. And I usually amp spice like cinnamon so it's a mystery where it went on my skin.

Also, zero buttery pumpkin, candy floss or berry.

I got Squash. A single-note Squash. Maybe if I want to at least sound more interesting I"ll go as far as saying "Hokkaido Squash".

Weird.

By reading the reviews of Blue Pumpkin Floss, I'd learned ahead of time that this would definitely not be they sticky, sugary Halloween scent of my dreams. But I wasn't quite prepared for how spicy this really is. The cinnamon jumps out immediately while all the other notes cower in the background. Seriously, this makes my nose tingle, and not really in a good way. BPF reminds me of a room spray that I used to own. It was nice for a few minutes after you sprayed it but soon wore out its welcome - it was just too intense to smell for a long period of time. That pretty much fits BPF to a T. It's a shame - the BPF in the description sounds so lovely. It's so sad that the actual scent doesn't really match it.

2.5 / 5

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

In the vial - Pumpkin, with just a touch of sweet blackberry and a bunch of spices.

On the skin - Spicy pumpkin.

Dry - Creamy spices.

I really love this scent, but I don't get that much blackberry past the beginning. My skin might be sucking that part up...But what I do get is a fantastic spiced pumpkin sugar. Yummy! :D

In the decant, and wet on my skin, I can smell the pumpkin - :yum:

as it dries down, it's more of a spicy scent, and I never really get the blackberry. It's very yummy, and I'll enjoy my decant. Not enough pumpkin to warrant getting a bottle though.

This is very spicy pumpkin pie when wet, though I can smell the candyfloss and blackberry in the background. After about an hour this turns into mostly smooth, sugary, blackberry candyfloss with a much less spicy pumpkin pie mixed together. Both stages are amazing (the last is my favorite though). I absolutely love this, it's definitely a top ten! :wub2:

Edited by Stephanielynn

I am a pumpkin fiend and I love blackberry, so this scent is a match made in heaven and I was really excited to try it.

In the bottle: Spiced pumpkin, no blackberry note to speak of.

On my skin: On me, the spiced pumpkin mellows out and the blackberry starts coming through. It's nice and creamy and sweet pumpkin with a hint of spice and blackberry. I am completely in love.

This is 70% sweet cinnamon candy, 25% spicy pumpkin and 5% blackberry on me. I don't know why I'm getting cinnamon, if there's no cinnamon (or even "spicy" pumpkin) listed in the description? I'd also tried the prototype and hoped this release wouldn't be cinnamon-heavy as the prototype was for me, I was happy when the notes didn't list cinnamon so I'm disappointed with this one. :(

Edited by cfrancesca

Poop. I can smell some amazing pumpkin in the background, but it's smothered in Big Red gum smell. I am surprised at how un-floss-like this is. It's heavy and spicy, where I was hoping it would be lighter and sweeter. If you like cinnamon, this one's for you!

This one is mostly blackberry on me when it dries :blink: Lots of mushed, juicy blackberries and the thick scent of pumpkin (pulpy is a great word for it) with a ribbon of cinnamon. It's more cinnamon than I'd like but certainly not the red hots I was afraid of getting, and for that I'm thankful! It's a lovely, simple smell and I'm fairly certain I'll be getting a backup or two.

ETA: I went out with my mom today, and she kept sniffing the car. Finally, she goes "YOU SMELL LIKE CURRY!" ... :evil:

ETA BUT THEN! While at the pet store, the cashier looks at me and asks me what I'm wearing, because it smells delicious. Like pumpkin and cinnamon. My first BPAL compliment in the 12 months I've been wearing these oils!

Soo.. what to do :rofl:

Edited by Klepz

I will admit I have never had much luck with bpal pumpkin (despite my general love of pumpkin) but this is just too neat sounding of a blend not to try! O_o Whoa, in the imp this was NOT what I expected at all. It's not "candyfloss"-y it all. It reminds me quite a bit of bptp's pumpkin pie bath oil actually. Like spiced pumpkin pie...don't notice any blackberry either.

Yep...on my skin this smells almost identical to bptp's pumpkin pie bath oil...maybe a touch of blackberry, but mostly rich, heavily spiced pumpkin pie. It's nummy for sure, but not really what I was looking for. Very heavy on a cinnamon type scent. But I do get more of the blackberry as it dries.

Honestly, while I do like this kind of scent, I only like it in small doses and only around autumn, so I definitely won't need a bottle of this. I still have a ton of Pumpkin Pie Bath Oil left that I can use if I'm really jonesing for this type of scent.

Smells interesting in the decant, but on the skin, the first impression is of red hots. Very spicy cinnamon. I am getting pumpkin in there, but the cinnamon is kicking its butt. No go for me, I hate cinnamon.

This smells like a pumpkin spice candle on me. No blueberry at all. So sad. :(

(sorry I couldn't be more in depth, that's really all I got from beginning to end).

I had such high hopes for this one - I love actual pumpkin scent. You know, the gooey stuff in the Libby's can, before you add spices. Or the sharp smell when you cut a pumpkin open for carving. And I love berry notes. And both of those aren't half bad on me. Reading the description, this sounded like a winner all around for me.

But the description never once mentioned spices, and that's ALL this smells like. Stinky, rank spices that my skin chemistry can't handle. If you left a pumpkin pie in the back of a hot car for a week, that's about what my wrists smelled like. Adding this one to the eBay pile. *sigh*

I find both the proto and released version to be vastly different.

The released version is heavy in the spices, and there is a very 'berry' smell that I get esp. on wet. It's more of a pumpkin spice candle/pie. As opposed to the prototype, which really had more of a 'citrus' and 'candy' overlay to it. The released version is stronger and richer. More vibrant on the drydown than the released. I think it's the spices that hold better on my skin.

Still not my cup of tea.

Raw pumpkin with a lot of cinnamony spice. I'd love my kitchen to smell like this. But NOT my arm. I do get a little blackberry on the drydown but the pumpkin overpowers all.

Wet, Blue Pumpkin Floss is berry and light spice, sweet, and features a bit of pumpkiny scent that is not buttery (yay!). It's pretty strong and candy-like, and I like it. As it dries, though, the spices amp ridiculously on my skin (from this update, I have relearned the lesson that spices, while I love them, tend to take over when my chemistry is involved). After about an hour, I smelled this again and found that the berry had also amped quite a bit, leaving me with a WHOA STRONG BERRY SPICE. I kind of like it, but it's not quite evocative of blue pumpkin floss on me.

In bottle: Earthy spicy, juicy berries, and cavity-inducing sweetness that is still up my nose even after I take the bottle away. This is one strange, unique scent

Wet: The berry comes out more on the skin, then begins a fight with the sweet pumpkin for dominance. This definitely smells like candy, but not necessarily like candy floss.

Dry: As it dries the pumpkin comes out more. All I can think of is how much this reminds me of Halloween candy. It's a little reminiscent of Rosy Maple, I think it must be the candy floss element, and it's deliciously sweet. Maybe almost too sweet, even for a sweet tooth gal like me! An awesome candy scent, though we will have to wait and see how wearable it is.

Edited by Whisperstilled

Erm :huh?: This was ok. I got a decant because sometimes I like to follow the BPAL crowd into the frenzy over a certain blend (You guys were SO right about The Girl!) I wish this had less spice in it.. I have a real problem with ginger spice containing blends, and pretty much no pumpkin blend I've tried has worked because they all seem gingery to me. Thankfully over time the berry note came out in this blend and it was tolerable and actually pretty nice. But NOT something I could wear often. And not was I was hoping the blend would be like...

Edited by MCS4096

God. This smells like pure cinnamon on me. At first anyway. After a WHILE the pumpkin starts to come out, with kind of a planty blackberry smell. Like if you took a bunch of blackberries and squished them. If I sniff reeeeeally hard, I can kinda get the cotton candy.

I'm gonna hold onto it, but if the cinnamon doesn't calm down with age, I will try to find my bottle a happy new home.

Edited by ModderRhu

If there's a scent that makes me think "blue candyfloss," it's Skytyping With Chemtrails. So maybe it was the power of suggestion, but as I waved the tester wand in front of my nose, I thought I smelled the same blue spun-sugar poof note under the pumpkin in Blue Pumpkin Floss.

Applied to skin: Pumpkin pie spice.

..and Red Hots.

RED HOTS RED HOTS RED HOTS... Is that blackberry pie filling in the back over there? No, it's just PUMPKIN PIE SPICE.

SPICE SPICE WOO SPICE.

...and blackberry pie filling.

....aaaand a little blue sugar poof.

In approximately that order. It takes a while for the huge rush of peppery allspice to back off. The pumpkin itself never really pops up; it's all spice, and then some sweetened black fruit and blue floss around the back.

ADDED Sept. 22:

Wow, I'm really surprised to read all these reviews mentioning spice, and it makes me wonder if there's batch or separation issues, because I didn't really get any spice in my decant.

Maybe a separation issue? I tested a different person's bottle last night, to check, and it smelled just as spicy as the first bottle.

Wow, I'm really surprised to read all these reviews mentioning spice, and it makes me wonder if there's batch or separation issues, because I didn't really get any spice in my decant.

This is primarily pumpkin in the imp, which can often spell fail, but it reminds me of the pumpkin in Monarch which miraculously worked for me, so on it goes! On my skin it changes pretty quickly and I start getting the blackberry and sugar, but it ends up being sort of this weird contrast between the candy-berry note and the buttery-pumpkin note. I still don't get much in the way of spices, however, this is pretty close to the description to me. I just don't like it as much as I expected to! I do like it better in the long drydown, where mostly the sugar-berry scent remains, but I can get my candyfloss fix elsewhere more efficiently.

In the bottle, this is cinnamon. On my skin, still cinnamon. It goes back and forth between smelling like an explosion of sweet cinnamon powder to smelling like sharper red hots cinnamon candies. Maybe a whiff of something like spicy pie crust every once in a while. I don't get any candyfloss, blackberry, or anything fruity at all. It's all cinnamon all the time, and it made my skin red and itchy where I apply the oil.

I'm not a fan of this. It's way too heavy on the cinnamon, so the blend is like a single note spice.

In the IMP it is VERY foody – an overwhelming aroma of pumpkin with cool hints of blackberry. Am slightly worried that it might turn my stomach if I wear it because I’m pregnant … will still try it though.

On me it’s quite pleasant and sweet smelling but might be too food orientated for me. Too much spicy pumpkin pie and not enough blackberry. Makes me want to lick myself I smell that good. A gorgeous smell but not something that I want to wear! Guess pumpkin is a no-no on my skin!

I really like this blend. Pumpkin and I normally don't get along, as I am pretty sensitive to spicy scents. This pumpkin is more subdued, I'm imagining due to the "candy floss" in this blend. It makes it not so much "buttery" to me as other posters have said, rather, just a nice rich pumpkin scent. Just a teeny bit of spice, but nothing I can't handle. As the scent evolves, the luscious blackberry scent peeks out, just enough to enhance this lovely scent beautifully. Nice job, Beth!