Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Blue Pumpkin Floss

Puffy clouds of pumpkin candyfloss with a trickle of blackberry juice.

What? I live all the way in New Jersey and I'm the first to review this? :lol:

So I'm a notorious pumpkinphile, as some of you may know. Given that, it's probably no surprise this was one of the first Weenies I scrambled to order this year.In the bottle and wet, it seems to be just spiced pumpkin; it really needs some time on the drydown to reveal itself as "blue pumpkin floss" as opposed to strictly (still pretty damned delicious) spiced pumpkin. I have this dabbed on one arm and the proto on the other; I find the released to be sweeter and richer than the proto, with a more buttery pumpkin note (as opposed to the more squashy/fresh pumpkin of the proto) and more pronounced candyfloss and blackberry notes. Also, the proto seems to have more spice while the released seems to have no more than a pinch if at all (I do detect what may be a dash of cinnamon). The blackberry is not one of those cloyingly sweet and/or artificial berry scents at all but a real true-to-life dark, tart blackberry that adds a tart edge and even a wicked dash of evil to the sweet buttery pumpkin. The tartness of the blackberry also counteracts the sweetness of the pumpkin and candyfloss, with the candyfloss acting as a sugary support base for the two, not overtaking either of them but rather balancing them out on puffy sugary clouds as the description suggests. All in all it's a dentist's nightmare with a distinctly autumnal feel, which in a scent (for me at least) is an extremely good thing. If you're as crazy about pumpkin as I am, or just a foodie in general, don't miss out on this one because it's a uniquely delicious and very craveable variation on our favorite spooky gourd. :pheart:

I'm obsessed with anything and everything pumpkin so I was dying to try this. I can definitely smell the pumpkin at a distance but when I place my wrist right under my nose, I smell red hots. Red hots & pumpkin. Not a bad combo.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the prototype( still waiting for my bottle) and I'm really curious of the differences. Either way, I really like this scent!

:wub2:

Oh, Blue Pumpkin Floss. I had such high hopes for you. Since, I think, the Halloweenies were released, I have had my fingers tightly crossed that the released version would have the squashy pumpkin note that the reviews talk about (and the concomitant comparisons to Pumpkin King, which has been my Holy Grail scent for I don't even know how long), rather than the buttery pumpkin of Jack.

Alas, this is very much the buttery pumpkin note, which just doesn't work on me (believe me--I've tried). In its favor, I will say that the sweetness of the candyfloss is tempered here, I think by the (minimal) pinch of cinnamon (which itself does not predominate, as it can do), so it's not too toothache-inducing, and there is a really lovely juiciness sort of underlying the scent. I assume this is the blackberry, about which I was actually quite apprehensive. It really is a nicely balanced scent, but in the end, alas, this is not for me: this pumpkin just doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Imbrium

In the bottle is straight up pumpkin pie! On the skin, the candy floss pushes its way up to the front while the pumpkin takes on a more spicy and sugary note. It has a scent of a sweet and spicy blended drink of some sort. Finally, the berry brings up the rear but it’s subtle. On final dry down it’s all spicy pumpkin sprinkled with sugar but it’s a keeper even tho I wish it was more candy floss! This will be a perfect fall scent. :yum:

This was a pretty big gamble for me since pumpkin and I don't normally get along. I was hoping for more "floss" and "blackberry".

It started out with a big slap of pumpkin. After settling a while on my skin I do get more of the blackberry coming through. It's kind of making my stomach hurt for some reason. Sorry BPF, we just aren't meant to be :(

Wet, I am getting pumpkin with something sharp behind it, almost alchol-ish...like a pumpkin martini with a cinnamon vanilla swizzle stick! :eek: How does Beth do this????

I have never purchased a pumpkin that I can remember, but this one is yummy. As it dries, I do not get blackberry or candy floss, but a really pretty, sweet vanilla that mellows out the pumpkin so it doesn't go all Yankee Candle, and turns the sharp liquor into a virgin, sweet, spiced drink.

This is a really comforting scent, and I am happy to have tested it before I am going to bed, I can't stop huffing my wrists, and after a really crappy day, I suddenly feel relaxed and calm.

Gorgeous and perfect for this time of year.

Very happy I took a chance on this bottle!! :wub:

sniffing from the bottle - lotsa butter - more "bakery"-like than i expected, and less candy...almost like gingerbread (poppet) baked with pumpkin. it's heavy and i wish i could eat it, it doesn't smell like the blue "floss" i imagined, but more of a wintery, brown hearth-like feeling. on my skin, as it dries, a bit of the floss peeks out, and it's yummy. the blackberry is super subtle, just a hint. this isn't totally what i was expecting, but still yummy - it's got some cinnamon too - i dunno, i see this as more of a thanksgiving, or christmas scent than a halloween one, and i'm noticing the more it dries, the more a 'red hots" smell is taking over. hmm. strange. but still will be nice on chilly nights, w/ a sweater.

Blue Pumpkin Floss reminds me of how much I dislike pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin by itself, but the combination of spices plus sugar makes it overwhelmingly squash-y. I was afraid to put this on because the sniff was intense pumpkin pie (blech!). In hopes of smelling the "candyfloss" and "blackberry", I tried it on anyway. I found out that I amp cinnamon like crazy, because for a while I smelled like I dipped my hand into a vat of Red Hots candy syrup. After about 15 minutes, I'm still smelling a lot of cinnamon but it's a sugary candy-cinnamon, not a candle-cinnamon. Regardless, it's overpowering what miniscule amount of candyfloss and blackberry there might be in this blend.

OK...an hour later: Faint cinnamon, and NOW I smell the candyfloss and blackberry.

I need to chill, I'm too trigger-happy with reviews. :blush:

Edited by mxtine

I can't come to a decision on whether I like the released version of Blue Pumpkin Floss. I tried the prototype and it was amazing, so I was excited to buy a bottle of the released version. The prototype is much more like cotton candy, more blackberry, with a slight hint of pure pumpkin (not buttery) and pumpkin type spices. The released version is very complex, much more spicy and very buttery, with only a hint of the cotton candy sugary-ness and I can't detect any hint of blackberry.

When I tested the released Blue Pumpkin Floss I got such a strange smell from it at times (since the scent changes alot) and after about an hour of trying to think of what it reminded me of, I realized that it smells like chicken broth bullion cubes. No lie. I don't know how that happened?? Only at times though, because at other times, the pumpkin spices and the buttery pumpkin came through, and very slightly, the cotton candy.

Unfortunately, I think I will have to stick with the prototype version of Blue Pumpkin Floss (if I can find it!). Maybe it is just my skin chemistry, but I really don't want to smell like a chicken broth bullion cube :(

I will test it one more time before I decide to swap my bottle or anything.

Edited by ancilla

I decided to order some bottles of Halloweenies unsniffed, based on notes I love but with hope of finding scents that are more wearable in the 90 degree heat we're still having. Blue Pumpkin Floss sounds like the perfect scent for that! I Iove pumpkin and blackberries, but all I really got from a skin-test was pumpkin and red hots! After about an hour, there was a strange unpleasant undertone that I can't identify, as the red hots faded. I never did get the blue-ness. I'm going to wait a few days for this bottle to rest from travelling and try it again before giving up. If anything changes, I'll edit my review.

Blue Pumpkin Floss is like the most spicy red hots ever. When I got the bottle and tested it, it smelled like maple syrup, but after letting it rest, it's much better and I really like it. It's going to be great to wear this when it's cold outside. The drydown reminds me of my favorite Chaos vanilla, which also smells like warm, cozy cinnamon.

I have the BPF LE on the left wrist and BPF Proto on the right. They smell the same to me, however the LE version lasts much longer on my skin than the proto. No need to hunt down a full bottle of the Proto now. I'm very happy with the LE.

I must not have read the willcalls and prototype reviews as well as I thought, because this was NOTHING like I expected. I thought I was getting fluffy, pumpkin cotton candy with a hint of blackberry.

That said,

I love.this. Has anyone smelled tobacco in the base notes, because I swear that what I get is a rich spicy pumpkin (not quite like the pumpkin patch pumpkin), something sweet but not fluffy at all, more than a hint of blackberry hehe, and a healthy dose of tobacco under it all.

Hesitaters: yes its spicy, not its not overwhleming. This is a dark fall scent, maybe a gourmand, but not foody.

Although I'm not a huge fan of candyfloss, I love pumpkin and blackberry so I decided to give this a try. And I'm glad I did, its delicious! :yum: This starts off STRONGLY spiced pumpkin - but once that fades, it dries to blackberry with a hint of fairy floss. The tartness of the blackberry balances the sugary floss, so this isn't overly sweet to me. The throw is pretty light and this doesn't last long, but otherwise its wonderful! I wouldn't mind a less-spicy version in the future though.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

I was at the Trunk Show when this was released but unfortunately was not able to purchase a bottle then. I was too far back in the line and it had disappeared by the time my number was called. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to purchase it then but hoped that it would be offered again at another Truck Show. It was love at first smell! I love Beth's pumpkin oils, they just get me in the mood for Autumn, Fall and Christmas. Living in Southern CA. there is no change in seasons and I really need these oils to help me along in the change of weather, so to speak. As soon as I saw this on the Halloween Update, I purchased a bottle-I was that excited!

I do notice a difference in the two versions. The Prototype seemed to have more of a Pumpkin flair and more spices in it. It really smelled like a ready to bake Pumpkin Pie right before you popped it into the oven. I really didn't get the Blackberry, but I did get a touch of sweetness from it. The released version is a bit different, not bad, just different. It seems to have less of the pumpkin flavor and be more buttery. I also experienced the red hot candy phase that others went through. I would rather have the allspice, cinnamon, clove, ginger phase because that is what works best with my skin chemistry. The Blackberry juice made an appearance in the middle, but was as fleeting as a ghost, and was non-existing on dry down. It does last a very long time, but only as a red hot buttery candy scent. I am hoping that if it ages a little the Pumpkin will take over and tame the red hots and by the time cool weather comes around I can actually wear it as a Pumpkin scent. If it is still the buttery scent, I may mix it with the Pumpkin Latte Oil and see what I come up with.

I completely fell head-over-heels for the prototype version of this one about 2 hours after I applied it at the Trunk Show. At first it was CINNAMON RED HOTS IMMA GONNA BURN YA and then it turned into the most delicious pumpkin scent BPAL has ever graced me with. When I missed out on the prototype at the TS I was bummed, but was able to get a bottle from a kind, kind soul and swapped some big $$$ items for another bottle because I loved it so. Imagine my delight when I saw it was released!!

The released version does not have the overly cinnamon wet-stage and, to me, it dries down to the delicious pumpkin (not buttery for me, more squashy) scent from the prototype I love. Lite on the spice. I'm smitten with this one and it goes to the top of my favorite BPAL Weenie blends, passing up Devil's Night, even! I will be getting a few more bottles of this one because I think I'll be wearing it A LOT. Here's to hoping it will be a recurring oil for many Weenies to come!

Eeek, nutmeg! Or is it cinnamon? I smell nutmeg..

I thought for sure that this years hit would be Pumpkin Latte, but for me this one wins the pumpkin award. That is, only after the spices have died down a little. The pumpkin is lovely and warm and the berries juicy.

Doesn't last long. Will have to get a backup or two.

In the bottle: This is a spicy/sweet scent that reminds me of Pumpkin Latte without the coffee.

Wet on skin: Spicy, a little sweet, and just the barest hint of pumpkin.

Drydown: I can smell the cinnamon. It's strong and kind of stinging my nose as I sniff it.

Dry: I'm not getting any real candy-like sweetness or blackberry juice out of this. Mostly just cinnamon and some pumpkin - but it reminds me strongly of Pumpkin Latte without the coffee.

Overall: Not a favorite of mine, for sure.

Cinnamon-heavy pumpkin pie! I didn't get the cinnamon so much when I sniffed the vial but after it was on, HELLO CINNAMON! I love cinnamon so I was pleased. Very faintly in the background, the blackberry lurked. It became more pronounced as it warmed and added a nice touch of depth. I'm also not getting buttery pumpkin, it's more squash pumpkin on me. With the sweetness of the fairy floss, buttery pumpkin would have been TOO sweet so I'm glad my chemistry reacted as it did. The cinnamon also tempered the longer it was on so it wasn't so in-your-face. I ended up with just what it promised: spiced pumpkin, sugar, and a touch of blackberry. Definitely a comfort scent and I foresee a bottle purchase ^_^

Oh Blue Pumpkin Floss, everyone had me so excited about you! But you're just another cinnamon blend just waiting to break my heart.

In the imp and wet, BPF is buttery, delicious pumpkin. If it stayed there, I would be happy as a clam--decent throw, too. But sadly, it doesn't. Instead, it decides to dry up and become sweet, sweet cinnamon. It makes me smell EXACTLY like a Yankee Candle, right after they have all their fall / winter candles up. Seriously, EXACTLY like a yankee candle. It's got the buttery baked-goods candles, the cinnamon wallop candles, the cinnamon apple candles, the "home for the holidays" candle, whatever that thing is supposed to smell like, and underneath it all, a tiny little pumpkin with a sad face on it. Oh PBF, how could you betray me this way?

For those of you who like that smell, this blend has decent throw and staying power--it's really quite nice in that regard, but for me, it just reminds me of reaching my wit's end in Christmas shopping and buying candles in jars for all the people on my list whose presents have eluded me so far.

Edited by hazakaza

Another really good one this year!

in the bottle I get super spicy pumpkin.

on me it's still super spicy pumpkin. As it dries the candy floss starts to come out. I just get hints of the blackberry. Overall it blends just wonderfully and is worthy of a backup bottle. Strangely I've had problems with blackberry in the past(blackberry jam and scones was epic fail), but this is a different blackberry and works for me.

Weird. I am not getting the buttery note like others mention--the buttery pumpkin that ruins blends like Jack for me--which is good, but I'm getting an oddly dusty note from it like Miskatonic U. I like the proto better, although this isn't bad.

Yes, at first I am getting the same overwhelmingly cinnamon scent reminiscent of Red Hots like several of the previous posters. All the other standard pumpkin spices are there as well in the background: nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. I do not smell any buttery pumpkin notes unfortunately just the spices that go into various pumpkin desserts. I can smell some berries shortly after applying onto the skin, but it does not last very long. This combination sometimes smells like the perfume Poison, very strange. Wonder if anyone else thinks this too??

CINNAMON. Seriously as soon as I put this on all I smelled was cinnamon. I got a hint of something sweet underneath and a bit of pumpkin pie spiciness, but I really had to huff my arm to smell anything other then cinnamon. I was hoping that after drydown it would be a little bit more then just cinnamon but this stayed pretty much exactly the same as the hours passed. I do not like smelling like cinnamon so this will be finding a new home =(.