Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
revinn

Scent Recommendations By Hair Color?

Kind of a random topic, but which scents do you think best represent each hair color? A lot of it depends on how you perceive blondes, brunettes, redheads and black-haired beauties I suppose! As a redhead, I'm particularly interested in those recs ;) but I'm sure everyone else would like to hear your scent recs for their hair colors as well!

My choices?

For blondes, something like Hermia for that spunky, outgoing side, and maybe Dana O'Shee or Eat Me for the soft, sweet, innocent impression some blondes give off. For more sex-kitten, bombshell blondes recs, I think something like Hollywood Babylon or Bordello, a mixture of fruit, sweet notes and musk would be perfect. You could go beachy with Black Pearl as well. I definitely see sweet notes like honey (O?), fruit, coconut, vanilla and pink pepper.

For brunettes, I think I'd go with something slinky and sensual like Snake Oil or Perversion, or something bold and brass like Hellcat or Manhattan, with loud boozey notes. Manhattan works for the sleek, sophisticated type of brunette as well. I think of leather, booze, vanilla (again), musks, citrus and smoke.

For black hair, I see exotic, unique notes like tropical flowers, warm spices and incense. Xiuhtecutli, Faiza, Inez...all those warm, sweet, special blends. I could also see dark, drop-dead sexy scents for black-haired ladies and gents, something heady and ominous like Snake Oil, Kubla Khan, or Morocco.

As for redheads..I'm not sure! I can't really choose for my own hair color.

Obviously not every member of a certain hair color will like the same scents, but I think it'll be cool to find out what "embodies" your hair color!

What embodies my hair color? Well, i'm one of those people who's brunette, but it's so dark people think it's black. And I wear mostly food scents. ^_^ Though, I do have a liking for leather. One of my favorite combinations is a vanilla leather, a combo of Dorian and Loviatar(Liz doesn't do it as well). Sweet, but with a hint of something dark and sexy.

My friend Josie is a redhead, and she's all about spicy scents.

What an interesting topic to think about!

I'm wondering also about the difference between one's natural hair colour and the colour you choose to make it - would there be a difference when it comes to characteristics, personality, and/or scent preferences?

I'm a natural blonde, but I'm a very anti-bimbo kind of blonde... I guess I'm more of the beach bum hippy-ish kinda blonde :) And I love dark, mysterious, smutty and sensual smells.. my faves are things like Crowley and Spanked, and dirtily delicious vanillas like Banshee Beat and Snake Oil. But I also dig yummy things like Candy Butcher and girly things like Antique Lace.

revinn - I guess I have a thing about ladies with dark black hair too.. I definitely envisage them as being on the the 'dark' side of smells. I think you're right - it does say a lot about our perceptions and/or pre-conceived ideas about certain hair colours :smile:

This is so interesting to think about and read other people's impressions. I have dark reddish brown hair naturally and have dyed it red, blonde, and various shades of brown.

For blonde, my first thought was Hollywood Babylon, which is odd, because I usually see that as a red fragrance. I associate blonde with strawberry smells and that wholesome and playful girl next door image, I think. For blonde, I seem to split them into two categories of darker, honeyed blonde and that white/platinum blonde. For darker, warmer blonde I imagine fruity notes, honey, and sweet, milky scents. For platinum blonde I imagine more white musks, tea, icy/watery scents, and clean, crisp sharp scents.

Warm, darker, honeyed blonde: Hollywood Babylon, Eat Me, Mania, Bengal, Dana O'Shee, Osun, and maybe Alice and Tamora.

Platinum blonde: The Illustrated Woman, Titania, Dirty, The White Rabbit, Slippery Poppy Tincture, Maiden, Snow Glass Apples, Dorian, The Ghost, Fae.

Resinous, incense, woodsy blends with sweet, warm touches seemed to be what I thought of for brunettes. Cocoa and coffee also makes me think of brown hair, especially mixed with warm woods. Voodoo, Intrigue, Inez, Sloth, Eclipse, Umbra, Brown Jenkin, Shub-Niggurath, Centzon Totochtin, Miskatonic University, Velvet, Bliss, Tombstone...

I imagine spicy, fiery scents with earthy/resinous tones to represent red hair. Sin, Priala, El Dorado, War, The Ifrit, Wrath, The Smiling Spider...

Black hair conjures up images of scents that I associate with darkness and dark blue (black musk, violet, lilac, dark berries, anise, leather) and scents that I think are calm, quiet, confident-sexy, or sophisticated. I get more of a floral sense from black hair. Black Opal, Bluebeard, Faith, Perversion, Whip, Bewitched, Phantom Queen (black orchid <3), L'Examen de Minuit, Morgause...

I'm a natural dishwater blonde, but about a year ago I started dying my hair a deep copper red. It was an amazing change, especially seeing as my mother had been a natural redhead. My skin type worked very well for the color and I began hearing how much I looked like my mom. As a blonde I had been drawn more to vanilla and floral notes like gardenia and night-blooming jasmine. As a redhead I immediately upped my resin and spice choices. Amber resin alone and Gingerbread Poppet became my staples.

Edited by Zombiefleur

When I had my natural hair color—a light brown/dirty blonde combo—I was always drawn to very "white" scents. You know, jasmine, white florals, soft in general. Nothing with an edge or a spice to it.

Ever since I first dyed my hair with henna, though, I've been drawn to much deeper, spicier scents. Deep and slightly dirty vanillas, red berries, resins, incense..that sort of thing. I've been particularly drawn to Jester (So sad to see it gone!), Berry Moon, and Blood Lotus. All very warm scents on me. It seems that, with the lighter hair, I was drawn to colder scents. I've pretty much completely changed my tastes!

Anyway, onto my recommendations!

For blondes, I always think of either very clean, floral scents (Maiden) or very oceany, breezy scents (Sea of Glass, Lightning, etc.) So ozone, and white florals. Not necessarily together mind you, but those are what I think of. I also think very clean scents would work, as well. Dirty or Embalming Fluid, for instance.

For brunettes, I always think of warm, foodie scents. Not like you're oozing cake or anything, but just a bit of a warm sugary undertone. I suppose that's more for the people with the curly hair.

For black hair, I think of dark, smoky flowers. I'm not quite sure why! I can't think of a scent right off the top of my head that would qualify for this combination, though.

I've already described what I wear as a redhead, but I'll do this anyway. I envision either very earthy scents or very warm scents. Incense, red berries, dragon's blood, vanilla, cloves, cinnamon (not all at the same time, though!)..that's what I picture for red hair.

Edited by plainjean

I'm a natural blonde, but I hate sweet/fresh scents and go straight for the Perversion and Snake Oil spicy type scents. I even love Blood Countess, haha. I do get in weird "fresh" moods where I want to smell like mint, or snow and forest. I guess then I'd probably fit in the white witch from narnia sort of category :)

I see brunettes as more the warm, foody scents. Black haired ladies as sort of rose and leather, like Whip (which I actually like!)

Redheads I can see as either being spicy or fairy like, which are completely different types of scents, but I think either of them fit.

I'm naturally auburn but I dye it true red. Right now it's black because I had some weird urge to do something different and I don't feel at all like myself. I'm dyeing it back asap. I've often been mistaken for a natural redhead, I have the porcelain pale skin (which is a nice way of saying the only sunbathing I do is at my computer monitor). Personally I like spicy, foody, boozy, musky, resinous, leathery scents as well as sweet fruity scents like peach.

I agree on the spicy, resinous scents for redheads. I can also see some of the foody scents, particularly those with booze notes. Hellcat screams redhead to me :lol: Red wine notes as well.

Brunettes I envision warm scents. The cocoa scents particularly, Bliss comes to mind. The warm leather notes as well, the ones that feel like well-worn leather or suede.

I see the "new" leather kind of scents on women with black hair. I can also see aquatics, especially the ones meant to evoke deep water. I attribute cool scents to these women.

Blondes could either be sweet foody scents like Cake Smash or fruity blends. Some of the Atomic Luau would also fit, the light booze notes like gin or vodka as I associate rum, whiskey, and red wine notes with redheads.

Edited by brilliantcat

Im somewhere between brunette and brown -- I prefer warm, rich scents -- woody and sweet. I want to love the foodies, but I just dont. Generally they are too much for me. I do like the clean scents and the snow scents though =)

Well, I have an ex who's a redhead, and she always smelled sooo good, like apples and light blossoms. It just seemed to suit her thin, pale skin and light green eyes so well, I guess it just worked with her body chemistry. Maybe something like Hesperides would be good? As a very dark (blackish) brunette, I prefer scents that are a bit warmer and richer, personally. Especially if they have a bit of spice.

I'm a redhead. Although I do like some spicy scents, I find most of my favorites are either fruity scents, some light florals and red musk. Bewitched or Spellbound, for example, are two of my favorites.

I have chestnut brown hair, and I tend to like sweet, rich incensy stuff like Snake Oil, Smut, Now Winter Nights Enlarge, and Spellbound. Candy sweet perfumes like Loli.Goth, Velvet Unicorn, Sugar Skull, and the occasional foody (aka cupcake) MB: Closet, Cake Smash and Beaver Moon. Last but not least, I'm a huge fan of Lady Una and Dorian-based perfumes like my chaos theory and Sybil. And HONEY. O and Womb Furie...yumm. I think they all seem "brunette" to me because they're so rich. I can see sultry red heads and kick-ass blondes liking those scents as well.

I'm a natural redhead, and there are several resinous/spicy scents I love, like Chimera, Velvet, or The Lion. But I also like sweet/soft florals and vanillas, especially things like Mouse's Sad and Long Tale, Lyonnesse, and TKO.

Of course, I don't really fit the firey/sultry redhead stereotype, as I'm normally pigeonholed as the sweet peacemaker instead. My older sister is far more the firey redhead, and she loves resins and spices.

Red head here! My favorite kind of scents are florals and I have a fondness for fruity scents too. I especially love ROSES. My favorite BPALs would be Queen Mab, Viola, Persephone, and Titania, with Queen Mab at number one. I know most people here seem to say when they think red head, they think earthy, resins, woody, and spicy and those tend to be the kinds of things I avoid. :lol: I dunno! As a red head, I do have a bit of a temper but it usually takes a lot to set me off. Most of the time, I try to be collected and cheerful.

Hmmm, I'm a very dark brown to auburn with a natural streak if bright silver. I usually wear leather and metallic(robot scarab), or the autumn harvest scents (Harvest Moon, Samhain). I'd never really thought about using hair color as an idea for things to try though.

I wanted to resurrect this thread to add bizarro colors.

I'm a natural brunette but I dye my hair raven black with dark green streaks.

Scent recs for the manic panic junkies out there?

I like vilf or callidora when I have vampire red :-)

Interesting topic....

My hair is naturally kind of a dirty/golden blonde mix. The longer it grows out the more golden the sun turns it. But I dye it RED. Not fire engine red but deep, intense, saturated red. It hasn't been blonde in a few years now. When I was a teenager I dyed it all sorts of crazy colors. Hot pink, primary, fire engine red, green, blue, a kind of teal color once that really didn't flatter my skin. Yeah.

For blonde hair I would think of The Antikythera Mechanism, maybe Mouse's Long and Sad Tale?

For redheads, War (from the Good Omens line) definitely says "fiery, seductive, hot redhead" to me :yum: Maybe something leather-y too, like The Bow and Crown of Conquest

I'm a brunette (dark brown), with red tones, and now showing a bit of silver-grey, and can pull off blonde hilights pretty well. I lean more towards red musk, snake oil, and the heavier scents (Mircalla, Mme. Moriarty, Sin, Vixen, Satyr). Florals & aquatics don't work on me *at all* and despite liking how Myrrh smells in the bottle, it appears that's one of the notes that goes straight to "diaper wipe" on me (I'm looking at you, Priala). Cinnamon also works well on me, when it doesn't cause blistering welts. I tend to be picky with Patchouli's and leathers (oh, but I do love the smell of leather), and tobacco.

"White" is not a term I'd ever use for me, which is ironic since my name means "Fair one" or "White Lady" :lol:

I find it interesting that so far most people are saying that blonde = all the soft/pink/fruity/pretty scents. As a (natural) blonde... I do appreciate those kinds of things but the BPALs I reach for are more the dark, resinous, voluptuous type - from gnarly patchoulis through to smokey incenses and snuggly leathers. And I stay far far away from any 'white' notes. But to be fair, I'm definitely not a bubblegum-chewing flowery-dress-wearing type of blonde :)

I'm a redhead, and scents that read as "red", or spicy scents bring red hair to mind for me. Rose Red, Persephone, Shub Niggurath, and Gingerbread Snake come to mind. To a lesser extent Autumnal scents like Samhain and Lambswool sometimes have that effect, too.

Blonde makes me think of light, delicate scents like Paladin, Good, Pink Snowballs, Titania, 51, or The Last Unicorn.

Brunette makes me think of the richer, fuller scents. Maybe with a foodie, woodsy or lightly resinous edge. Scents like Boomslang, Skadi, Wings of Azrael, Cathedral, Dee, and Morocco.

Black hair makes me think of either cold, clear scents or deep dark and sexy lol. One extreme or the other. Snow White and Lick it are one extreme: Snake Oil, Snake Charmer, Spellbound, and Wanton are some that come to mind.

I have a super short platinum blonde pixie cut and I love foodie scents the most! What would you recommend for me??? I'd love to hear.... :wub2:

I have a super short platinum blonde pixie cut and I love foodie scents the most! What would you recommend for me??? I'd love to hear.... :wub2:

Maybe not overly foody, but I thought of Zephyr when I envisioned your hair! It has that citrus-vanilla thing going on that can be a little bit foody, and other than that it's just very light and pretty.

Also, the recent 13 from December is a great light foody scent with white chocolate, coconut and pomegranates. :yum: That might fit as well. :smile:

I'm in blonde-brunette limbo! My hair is what the fashion world stupidly refers to as "bronde". In hair color, I'm a Level 6.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this color!