Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
occurs

Help me find scents to fit an era or different decades: 1800's,1900's, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and so on...

So i love scents in which evoke a certain nostalgia.

Is there any scents to you that give you a feeling of a certain era, decade, time, moment in history?

Whether it reminds you of a perfume they may have worn in a certain era, or if it's a feeling like..."i imagine this is what the dust bowl may have smelled like..."

It sounds silly, but since the sense of smell is the most carnal instinct, the first thing a lot of people generally do is assimilate it with memory, whether it is a memory that existed or just something you have imagined before...

What BPAL scents scream a memory or an idea of the past to you?

great topic!I am interested in what others write.Silver Phoenix definitely smells like an expensive perfume an elegant lady in the Art Deco era would wear.

Swank is strongly 60's/70's to me. Although I feel a little Sinatra with it.. maybe it's the 40's? I am useless.

Most of the lab's rose blends make me think of the Victorian era. Especially Hope and Victorianagoth. Belle Epoque was designed to be late 19th century, and I think it does work for that period.

Stardust is totally late 70's, early 80's.

And Ophelia simultaneously makes me think of 80's fantasy (it's totally what I would have loved as a little girl) and the Pre-Raphaelites of the late 1800's.

I agree with Stardust for an 80s scent. When I read "dust bowl," I thought of Scarecrow. And my mom always complains that Depraved reminds her of the 60s whenever I wear it, lol.

Ouija, Lucy's Kiss, and Marie are my go-to Victorian scents. And Goblin and Bengal are kind of Woodstock-era on me. Maenad also has sort of a 60s - 70s craziness to it, but in more of a mod way than in a hippie way. Belle Epoque, Bien Loin d'Ici, and Paris are great for the Art Deco era. Let's see, what else... Mata-Hari always makes me think of a sophisticated Flapper chick. Penny Dreadful does a good job, at least to me, of evoking a 30s noir heroine. Le Serpent Qui Danse, Nocture, and Black Dahlia on the other hand, would be great for a silent film star vamp. Oh, and 51 and Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat are kind of 80s to me, since they're both a little eccentric and "out there." 51 makes me think of all the sci-fi movies and cartoons I loved in the 90s, and TTLB sort of reminds me of the crazy fashions. :lol:

One more thing - Ephemera is great for evoking a bygone era, but I can't place exactly which... I suppose Victorian would be closest, but really, to me it seems more like a scent of wistful memories in general. I think it could evoke a lot of different eras to different people.

I agree, this is a great topic! :wub2:

Sign in to follow this