Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
yokaitenchi

The Old Goblin

A crown of hardened ice and polished fir-cones.

Wet in the vial it smells sour, sharp and pine. I can detect under it all the snow note. Sharp pine and snow. :wacko:

Icy and cold--almost an effervescent, bubbly scent when combined with the dark green of the pine and fir. Cold and pretty.

Just beautiful. Bpal's ice & snow notes are normally ozoney death on me, but here there's nary a hint of dryer sheets, just a cold clarity overlying the pine, and something a bit warmer, creamier and woodier (the cones?) that reminds me of some of the oak/bark/etc notes. I've been trying to find a pine or fir bpal that works on me since 2006, and I've FINALLY found a winner. Perfect.

I'm expecting something clean from this description, but Old Goblin goes on my skin as a hard ice smell made filthy by patchouli and maybe vetiver. There's a touch of frosty fir at first, but it fades faster than the smile on a face after bad news.

Pass.

Dirty, musty, evergreen trees with pool cleaning chemicals and something grossly sweet. Instant headache and nausea.

Interesting! I was expecting something bracing and mentholated. The snow note smells cold in a really subtle way. I also get a lot of vetiver, but not much fir. Not what I expected at all!

Not much snow on me - just aggressive, potent woods. It's almost like Lab's pungent leather note - I thought I was testing one for a few moments before I remembered what I placed on the wrist. Probably thanks to vetiver. I find a lot of "masculines" unisex on me, but not this one. Being devoid of quirkiness, it's a good pick for a Lab newbie who's into really butch stuff, but not for me.

In the imp: Very ozonic and 'soapy' to my nose, with more fir than in the aged imp.

Wet: This is a very citrus-y, ozonic, slushy snow note. The ozone ends up taking over, and it smells rather soapy on me.

Dry: The ozone ends up calming down, but it still reads as soapy on me. Sadly, I'm not getting any fir or anything that reminds me of pinecones.

Verdict: My skin chemistry just doesn't cooperate with this one.

Eehhhhh. Is there vetiver in here? Oppoponax? This is thick and droopy.

Not getting much pine or fir ironically, just a hint. Not getting much floral or citrus here. The "nasty" notes dissapear within a few minutes, and it does dry down to something more ozone-y. Still thick and droopy, but not as evil this time around. No snow here! Just a troll-ridden bog.