Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Moonshine and Mist

MOONSHINE AND MIST
The elfin maidens were already dancing on the elf hill, and they danced in shawls woven from moonshine and mist, which looked very pretty to those who like such things.

Ethereal, otherworldly, delicate: ambergris, white musk, water violet, ylang ylang, magnolia, and white sandalwood.

Wet, this smells very... woodsy, like a dry sandalwood. From the imp, it smells sharp, some of the magnolia is the dominant floral. Not much frank 'violet.'

On the skin, definitely morphs into being less sharp and dry, although the faint sandalwood lends the blend a nice 'thrummy' background. There is a hint of violet, and the magnolia also melds with the violet to make a sweet, delicate, shimmery fragrance (how appropriate!)

As it dries further, the white musk comes further into the foreground.

Dominant notes are magnolia and musk, with a little softness from the violet, and enough backing from the sandalwood so this doesn't float away. White floral, or at most, wisteria-tinged glowing white. Edited by Shollin

Wet: That lovely white musk that I adore is at the forefront, accompanied by magnolia, and a faint violet.

Dry: For me, this is really about the magnolia and musk, with the sandalwood waaaaay in the background. This scent, strangely enough, is magnolia on my left hand, and violet on my right hand.

This has lasted for 7 hours now, including 2 hours of standing in line at the DMV. A lovely Southern scent (I guess its all that moonshine).

I had hopes for this one, but sadly I was disappointed.

In the imp I smell something along the lines of laundry detergents and Ivory soap.

Wet on my skin it is all magnolia, which, in this blend, turns powdery.

Dry, I get more of the other notes listed, and it is much improved, but the magnolia's powdery effects are making this a disaster on my skin.

It would probably be really pretty on someone who has better luck with magnolia.

Very watery on me at first, with a hint of violets. Then I get a LOT of white sandalwood, which always is a little soapy (in a good way, mind), and a lot of magnolia. Oddly enough I don't get much musk here and I'm someone who usually amps up white musk to eleven. I agree that magnolia lovers will really like this. Me, I'm not so sure yet, although I do love the mental image this creates--it's very "white" and does make me think of moonlight!

I get lots of white musk, magnolia, and violet. I'm not always a huge fan of floral blends, but this one is very soothing to smell. I think I might end up buying a bottle with my next lab purchase.

I got high end expensive violet dish soap. No white musk...just violet dish soap. I should really know better than to order a scent with this combination of notes by now. :trout: *sigh*

Moonshine and Mist smells like a softer version of Gossamer. It's pretty and feminine. I like it, but I have Gossamer, so maybe if I ever use that up, I would get a bottle. It's more subtle than Gossamer, but if you've been wondering what Gassamer sells like, try this.

First on it's definitely soap, with sandalwood lurking the back. As it dries I get more ambergris (which is what I was hoping for), but by then it's turned to mists and is barely noticeable if you don't shove your nose into your wrist. Not a huge hit with me at the moment, but I'm going to hold onto the imp and see how it ages.

Moonshine and Mist - This is really lovely! It's got a bit of a perfumey quality about it, but in a really good way. On me, it's very water with lots of white flowers. The water violet comes across more as a water lily than anything. The white sandalwood and warm ambergris ground the scent, while the florals are very light and ethereal. It's really, really, really pretty!

ETA: I'm back to add another note that even though this is very perfumey in a commercial sort of way, which is something I'm really not usually drawn to, I think this is a bottle-worthy fragrance. It's so pretty I just can hardly stand it. It has amazing throw (a little goes a very long way) and lasts all day long. I really can't get enough of it!

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

Soap, pretty white bars of bath soap. Soft and fresh floral, very lovely and feminine and not me at all.

I'm hanging on to the imp though for nostalgic sniffing as it reminds me of my childhood home, in a village, when supplies were bought in bulk and the airing cupboard always had a stack of bath soap from Boots the Chemist with names like Spring Flowers or Summer Lilies . It amazes me that the scent of 10 bars of soap can be distilled into the tiniest drop of oil.

Try this if you love florals, particularly magnolia.

I wanted to like this, because I think that the name is so pretty, but it's not really me. I'm surprised that this scent doesn't have lily in it. I get a really strong baby powder scent from the sandalwood and a creamy, cloying floral that reminds me of some musty lily notes.

Mostly this scent is clean and powdery, but with an edge of musty sweetness that I catch sudden whiffs of every few minutes. As it dries down, it reminds me of the fluffy white shaving cream that my dad used when I was small. It has decent throw for about 2 hours and then disappears.

I like that this blend isn't sharp or perfumey, but it's still not something that I'll ever wear.

Edited by Little Bird

Wet, the white musk and ambergris are the most prominent notes. As this develops on my skin, the florals come out front and centre. The ambergris lends this a watery edge, and the florals become a little soapy.

Ordered this as an imp pack with a Joyful Moon group order, accidentally got omitted, and now it is here with me in Japan.

In the imp, this smells interesting; ambergris and white musk and I think the violet first and foremost. On my skin, ambergris and white musk first and foremost, a touch sharp, but it seems to be mellowing out. We'll see what this girl does. Turns a touch soapy, but I was wearing The Sea Foams Milk a few hours before this, so that may have influenced it a touch. Second skin test to see if I get different results.

Edited by Venneh

I'm shocked this DIDN'T go to soap on me, because ambergris and violet are normally one-way tickets to Ivory Soapville.

I first tried this at Will Call and was barely able to smell it at all given the olfactory onslaught. My impression at the time was fog-machine smoke (you remember the dance floors of the late 80s too, don't you? Right? Right! :lol: ). I gave it a second test all by itself at a later time, and I got wet fog, a lightly citrus-crisp note, and light green sandalwood. It teetered on the edge of being soapy, but instead warmed and cleared into something better.

What dominates this blend on my skin are the ylang-ylang and white musk notes. In fact, though it's not an exact match, this has very much the feel of The Girl on my skin. A luminous white nimbus, with surprisingly persistent throw and wearlength.

Wet: strong white musk, like almost hippie shop shaman oil strong. I never thought I would smell that from a bpal scent! Water violet (sweet and slightly aquatic) and ylang ylang are dominant as well. I don't get any magnolia? Dryness of white sandalwood is there.

Drydown: sweet refined expensive bath soap...not in a negative way. Reminds me a bit of Bat Woman but whiter and lighter. Very soothing! I can smell a touch of the magnolia.

Some may reach for Dirty when they've had a hellishly fun night... I don't. This will be my "everything is ok. Hit the delete button on your memory bank" scent. ;)

ooooh i really like this one! it actually reminds me a lot of a violette market scent i have, but i digress. this is a very soft white musk with florals and a hint of amber. the sandalwood behaves itself in this blend (sometimes it does not, with my skin chemistry.) this scent does indeed smell very white, misty, and otherworldly. very lovely.

imp: floral musk, smells better than i was expecting.

wet: at a distance, this has a very pleasant smell, but when i sniff closer to the skin, this is straight-up soap.

dry: this gets soapier as it dries, it's a shame. this would be very pretty on the right person.

When I first read the notes, my eyeballs weren't exactly rolling out of their sockets because of the florals. However, on me this turns into the most gorgeous vanillic white musk with sensual ribbons of ylang ylang and sandalwood. The longer it sits on my skin, the better it gets. Fans of Antique Lace, don't miss out: Moonshine & Mist is not a duplicate, but definitely a cousin. This has become a surprise holy grail, and a bottle is definitely tagging along with my next order!

Edited by Invidiana

I was tossed back to my childhood when I first applied this scent. I have to agree with mimosa in that it immediately brings to mind the fancy soaps in the drug store. I was very pleased with the nostalgia. The fragrance was light but clean and pleasant. Then it settled.

Something reared up out of that happiness and is slugging the hell out of my nose. I am sneezing like I need to get all of my sneezes for the rest of my natural life out and in the open RIGHT NOW. At the same time, whatever note it is that joined the Evil League of Evil is still pummeling away at my face. DAMN IT... it's in my mouth now. I can taste it now. It's got a very sharp edge lurking in the backgroundand if it gets any stronger, I may not have time to wash my arms to be free of it. I may just have to amputate.

I *think* that perhaps if it would just be polite and not fly up my nose, we might get along. However, since I am rapidly dehydrating from sneezing so much (not to mention the potential whiplash) and don't have a machete handy, I will head to the ladies' room and get this off NOWWWWWWW!!!!

This definitely is very ethereal and otherworldly - it's.. misty! Overall it has a floral feel, but it isn't FLORAL as such.. it just has that way about it.

Surprisingly, there's nothing in this blend that's really jumping out from my skin - even the magnolia is very subdued. It's staying very close to my skin with very little throw - it's the kind of perfume you'd dab behind your ears for someone to discover at an intimate moment.. not the sort of perfume you'd slather on for a big night out.

Very delicate and pretty, it's absolutely spot-on for its name and beautifully blended.

Possible top 10. It DOES smell misty - Beth's genius rears its head again. On me, it's misty, soft, slightly sweet, and complex. Cons: I'll have to slather as it's faint, and no moonshine!

Vial: Somewhat sharp bluish-white floral

On: Ahh, there are the musk and sandalwood, with the florals in the background. It smells like moonshine to me, alright - cool, silver, with a slight wafting of flowers in the night breeze. Quite nice, but it seems to turn a bit softer as it dries.

Later: It turns into a relatively generic white floral - like "Midnight", but without the zing that one has... Will keep the imp around and try some more, but right now, it really doesn't bowl me over.

Very misty, floral and sweet. It's a white floral that turns very soft and I enjoy it a lot. It's stayed on for 3 or 4 hours and it doesn't have a lot of throw but does make me smell pretty good. I'm enjoying it.