Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
marared

Tobacco Honey

Tobacco honey.

In the imp, I smell sweetness mixed with a bright, clean floral smell. It's not soapy in the way aquatics and florals can go on me, but it does remind me of some zingy shower gel or something. Not what you'd expect from the word tobacco - this must be the tobacco flower's scent.

Wet, very honey sweet, then clean floral - they're chasing each other in a circle.

Dry, I believe there's an actual cured tobacco note here. The honey is there, but the flower has gone, and there's another level of sweetness from the tobacco. Not acrid or smoky at all - this is the smell of a drying house for tobacco leaves, or the base of a nice pipe tobacco.

I think if I had my husband smell this (he doesn't have a nose for subtle scent components), he would say I smelled like maple syrup. It's very sweet, definitely.

This is making me very impatient for my Lab order with Pussy and Yellow Jessamine Honey - I think the honey note might do very nicely with a straight floral or with the saffron to cut it a bit, rather than layering sweet honey with sweet tobacco. Not that this isn't nice - I think it's a keeper imp!

At first this was a very in-your-face green scent, with no sweetness to cut it from the honey. As it dries, however, it turns into a lovely warm scent. I do get a cigar-like feel about it - fresh, unadulterated tobacco - which I associate with really expensive, good cigars, the kind I don't mind smelling burn. The honey comes out and it's slightly sweet, warm, a little green, and a little smokey. I like it but I don't think it's anything I would actually wear.

Nope, I have to wash it off. I'm not a stranger to tobacco, but this is just too much for me. It's strong and has a decent throw to it.

Edited by claudia6913

i like tobacco, but am not a big honey fan. the tobacco in this is powerful, and i think the honey is subtler, but adds a sweetness that just isn't for me.

Tobacco overload! No honey - no trace of it.

Later on: tobacco loses its strength, but still radiating. I wanted to smell smoky honey, but all i get is choked honey in a swarm of tobacco madness

I had great success with Laurel Honey so I thought I'd give this one a try. I definately get the masculine feel mentioned by previous reviewers (on me, this is a really nice men's cologne). I have a difficult time pulling out the tobacco in BPAL scents, though I keep trying. Here, the tobacco is it's usual sweet, bubble gum self. It's a nice scent it's just not me. Alas, I shall stick with Laurel Honey for now.

I wanted to try this one because I love the smell of good tobacco and honey. I definately get the masculine feel mentioned by previous reviewers (this one is a nice men's cologne on me). I seem to have a difficult time pulling out BPAL's tobacco scent, though I keep trying. Here, the tobacco is it's usual sweet, bubble gum self. There is something that smells slightly floral here but it's not the green, fresh floral found in Laurel Honey. Not bad by not me.

OOPS! I had some techincal difficulties with the first post, which appeared to have vanished into cyberspace, only to appear again after I added the second post. Sorry about that folks.

Edited by Celtic Goddess

This from a frimp I've had so long that I'm not sure when I got it . Initially , honey & not much else . I've let it sit on my arm for a bit now & I'm not really getting tobacco so much . Honestly I'm not sure just what I'm getting . Some honey for sure , but not dark & sweet . And the tobacco may have tobacco flower with it . Which isn't a bad thing , but it needs to be said . I must admit , I've never really " done " tobacco in any way shape or form . Smoke , chew , whatever . It isn't for me . But I do like the smell of certain pipe tobacco , and am aware that the unburnt leaves can smell nice . I'm really up in the air about how I feel about this . May have to come back later to try it again .

Wet: Gorgeously sticky honey.

Drydown: Glowing honey with something deep and soft beneath it.

Dry: Pretty much the same, just a beautiful, singing-sweet honey note with a whisper of tobacco flower.

In the imp: Sweet floraled honey with a hint of smoke.

Wet: I'm getting that clean, almost linen-y, honey note, but there's spicy tobacco in there too. I sort of feel that this could be amazing, or it could end up smelling like a pile of laundry sitting in a smoker's bedsit :/

Dry: A clean honey with hints of smoke and spice. It's okay.

Intrigued by the Lab's honey notes, I wanted to try as many of this sub-line as I could. So far, though, only Hemlock Honey has been a winner. Purchased this imp from a forumite earlier this spring, and with this testing, I am down to my last three Ts in my trip through the BPAL alphabet and that much closer to finally having a comprehensive swap list AND wishlist!

IN THE IMP: Strong and a little off-putting, it's definitely sweet but stuffy. I can't tell before application if the tobacco is more of a pipe tobacco or a cigarette tobacco.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: Now I think it's pipe tobacco, though the fact that it's mingled with such sweet honey may be leading my mind to the wrong assessment. But it's very, very strong and stuffy and not pleasant. Not smokey, it just feels like being stuck in a back room that has been so "smoke-filled" for so long that even without anyone smoking there now, all of the furniture, etc. is just infused with it.

DRYDOWN: I tried to let this dry down enough to get a fair read and complete review but confess I didn't last long before I had to wash it off. It was making my throat and chest close up.

OVERALL: I think at this point the only remaining Apiary line scents I'll be trying will be Oleander and possibly Deadly Nightshade.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 1.3

Edited by JazzieCazzie

In the bottle - Incensy honey and a slightly soapy tobacco

Wet on me - Rich fruity tobacco with a smooth sweetness from the honey

Dry on me - Sweet soft incensy and slightly salty honey

Overall - Yummy

Its now almost 10 pm and i put it on at around 8 am and wow is it going strong still! My skin has always held scents well but this is impressive.

Ok onto the scent - I will say i did not like the smell from the imp but dove right in and wore it today. Medicinal at first for a while but then it smoothed out to the tobacco. I got little wafts of honey and it was a tease. I wanted to smell more. Hours later the honey fully came through and i was not disappointed! I was hoping for a smoky pipe scent and didnt quite get that but still nice none the less.

This scent is fairly linear but i dont mind that - sometimes i want more simple and not so complex.

For my first go with bpal and the first time trying an oil from them i am sold and cant wait to try the rest of my imps!

Edited by Alyssa79

Got this as a frimp and I will have to buy a bottle before it is dc'd . Wet: herbally medicinal honey with a hint of tobacco. Dry: fantasticly light tobacco warmth with honey...not overly, sickeningly sweet like some other companies. This is the only tobacco honey scent I have loved. Throw is good, not too strong which is appropriate for a tobacco scent. Staying power is good to, this lasted about 7 hours on me and I could still catch faint whiffs of it.

Edited by Jangzonrice

In the wet stage this blend pretty much a dead ringer for Autumn Lace, and Autumn Lace is one of my top 3 blends. :wub2: As it dries, the golden warmth of the honey emerges and the tobacco becomes the rich, slightly smoky caramel sort that is very much like the French Tobacco SN. At full dry it's a bit greener and cleaner and fairly masculine, but it's just so comfortable that I don't mind that it no longer smells like Autumn Lace or French Tobacco.

I really like this blend, I'm glad I snagged a bottle before it was dc'd!

ITI: *Whimpers at the sight of the honey note*. I just pray it isn't the bad honey. After the sniff, I'm not sure whether or not it is. What's really intriguing about the scent is it doesn't strike me so much as tobacco honey but dewberry honey. It's dark purple in tone and juicy just like a fruit with a touch of soft soapiness. Odd.

Wet: Yes, it's very similar, although the sweetness of the tobacco plant emerges out of the dewy, fruity, honey notes and creates a really interesting, complex blend.

Dry: Now, the tobacco is warmly intoxicating while beeping deeply sweet and slightly spicy, enhanced by the soft honey. It's actually a really nice scent!

This is an odd little scent. It's almost too masculine for me to wear and husband said it seems to feminine for his taste to wear. I'm not sure if we want to keep it or not. The thing is we both LOVE the smell. Sweet honey, tobacco, greenness, light floral that isn't floral. Like I said, it’s an odd little scent.

I also find this lasts and lasts and just gets better the longer you wear it. It's very warm and comforting. I'm not getting any ashtray notes or smoke, just sweet honey tobacco (pipe tobacco) with other glorious notes that make this so special.

This would be perfect for fall....only how do I wear it? I think if it had more smokiness my husband could pull it off. As for me it's just NOT my style enough to wear it. I think this may be a candidate for layering because I just can't bear the thought of parting with it. I'm thinking aging may do the trick. Honey ages so well I think. Maybe a few more months and this will turn into something wonderful.

As it stands now, I'm so happy we grabbed a bottle before they went dc'd

Love tobacco. Love honey. Love nicotiana. Excited to try this!

Wet: Gorgeous floral honey. Similar to Door on me. It goes a bit soapy at first, hoping it settles down. I don't believe there is an actual tobacco note in this, I do think it's rather the nicotiana, or tobacco flower. Makes sense, that's where the honey would come from.

Dry: I like this a lot. It's a very dry scent, and the floral is almost peppery. It's gets much darker as it dries, it's not bright any sunny anymore, but I really like this and will enjoy wearing it in the spring when I want something darker and smokier than my other florals. The sweetness is not overwhelming at all (as I had worried it might be) and in that way this actually works much better on me than Door. Really glad to have a bottle of this!

Bottle from Ebay.

In the bottle: Mostly honey with a bit of a tobacco tinge. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's mostly tobacco, though honey is detectable underneath. As it dries, it balances out -- though it continues to flit back and forth just a bit between which note is stronger. 

Tobacco Honey features a dirtied tobacco on a base of honey. It's not anything like the Lab's French tobacco; it's more of a smoky type. The tobacco increases with strength on me with wear, never allowing the honey a chance in the spotlight.

It was nice to be able to try this honey scent, but I'm glad I didn't fall in love with it, since this is DCed, and the tobacco in this isn't really my jam.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Honey with a strong, high top note that's aggressive and unusual but not unpleasant.