Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gwydion

Daphne Honey

Daphne honey.

So honey has been a death note for me in a lot of blends. Or at least I thought it was the honey. After trying this I'm starting to think that I must have mistaken something else for honey because this is beautiful.

It smells like wildflower honey in the jar. Warm and soft and a hint of floral but not too much since florals and I don't usually get along.

Definitely keeping the imp.

Was a frimp!

Imp- Honey with a floral below.

Wet- Bright green green floral (kinda fresh cut grass to it) with a honeyish sweetness below.

Dry- Fruity! Still green, less floral. Honey is distinct now, but not overly sweet.

I oddly really like this one. It's warm and feminine, sweet and a mix of floral and foodie without actually being either. Initial throw is strong, but it settles close to the skin fairly quickly, with a slight powdery aspect to it. It might be a bit too perfumey for me most days, BUT it makes me feel pretty and lovely and loved, so the imp will probably be used on my down days. Not sure of bottle worthy...need to try the other honeys first!

I'm not sure what daphne flower smells like. Here we have the lab's gorgeous, golden honey note, plus a floral note that I'd describe as similar to a soft, warm, powdery white or pink rose, but a little sweeter and fruitier than a rose. It's absolutely lovely.

On my it goes on as straight baby powder. After a quarter of an hour it morphs to a honey baby powder smell. Reminds me of a kid version of "O". Neither work on me.

Smells mostly like honey in the imp, honey from bees only allowed access to white flowers. On my skin, the florals take over, something like a fruity honeysuckle over the initial honey note. Very pretty, sweet and floral and feminine. Still a honey-sweet floral after drying, but strangely I also get a little bit of incense.

This is a simpler scent for me. I got this one from the Post as a frimp. I'm always looking for work scents but I handed it over to another coworker who it smelled even better on.

That said, this comes off on me as a floral honey. It does not morph and did last past me doing dishes at work. It also did not take much to wear at any given time.

I will not turn away more frimps of this and would even consider some time in the future getting a bottle.

The best of the RG honeys on me! Daphne is a sweet, rich dark floral that tempers well against the honey note. Unfortunately, as with the others in the series, the honey goes sour and curdles on me.

frimp from the Lab.

Wet - Soapy floral and very realistic honey - exactly like the kind I put in my coffee.

Dry - Essentially the same as wet. The floral is a little spicy, but still soapy.

A friend was giving away imps yesterday, so I thought I'd give Daphne Honey a try. Honey tends to be a good note on me.

Lovely, sweet honey was almost all I got from this when I wore it yesterday. I took the imp, thinking it would be good to wear in early springtime. Today, it's a whisper of honey under what my brain is telling me is an increasingly loud, pinkish rose (because I don't know what daphne smells like). Florals are always hard for me to predict, but quite a lot of them make me feel sick or give me a headache. Unfortunately Daphne Honey is giving me a touch of the quease today, in spite of yesterday's great success.

I'm washing it off for now, but I'll keep the imp for a while and try it a third time, just to make sure this isn't a fluke. My skin chemistry is at the mercy of perimenopause these days, so for all I know this could be gorgeous again tomorrow.

In the imp: Daphne flowers & beeswax drenched in honey. Very sweet.
Wet on skin: Daphne flowers! SO pretty! There's a slight beeswax-honey undertone, but this is mostly just fresh Daphne flowers!
Dry on skin: Somewhere in between what it smelled like wet & what it smelled like in the imp. Not quite as pretty as wet on skin, but still a lovely scent.
After a few hours: Same as dry only more faded.
Verdict: I'll definitely get a fair bit of use from this one! It's so pretty!

In the imp/wet - Pale florals. Not a heady white floral like honeysuckle but something slightly harsher/more green and less sweet.

As it dries, the honey starts to come out, but the floral still dominates. I feel like this is in the same honied-floral scent family as Skuld and The Bride, but less sweet than either. There's something fresh about it, not exactly soapy, but clean.

Five minutes in - The floral note has overpowered the honey (or maybe it's just that the Redoul Honey I'm testing at the same time is so overwhelmingly honeyhoneyhoney that Daphne Honey seems like all flowers in comparison). It's a lovely, outdoor-in-the-late-spring scent, like freshly blooming flowers with hints of greenery. Florals are not always my thing, but this is a relatively wearable one. Having looked daphne up, it's apparently an evergreen shrub with pale pink flowers, which fits the strong/sweet fragrance. It smells similar to a white floral in intensity, but fresher and without that cloying indolic edge.

Half an hour in - No honey remains - Daphne honey is all flowers on the drydown. I'm liking the floral scent a little less as time goes on, but that may just be because it's so strong/intense. There's an almost citrusy edge to it, which might be why it smells fresh and a little like something a soap or air freshener ought to be scented with without actually being at all soapy. This is much more like a classic floral perfume than any of the other three apiaries. Like, I could give this to my mother, the lover of things like White Linen and Marc Jacobs Daisy, without her making a face at it.

One hour in - This scent doesn't morph much on me. An hour after application, DH is now a soft classic floral with just the faintest hint of underlying honey. I like it more at this point than I did earlier in the drydown, but I may in fact give this imp to my mother the white-floral lover, who I suspect will like it better than I do.

Wet on my skin, this is a sweet, flowery honey with an utterly frivolous mood. Unfortunately, right away on me, the honey all but vanishes and the flowers turn to sweet powder-blast poofs. The powder. She is mighty.

I don't think "sweet powder poof" expresses me very well. This is one for the go-away pile.

More honey than floral while wet, which is a nice surprise... but still, I'm not sure how often I'll wear this one. It veers dangerously close to the powdery for me.

In the imp: honey with a floral I don't recognize

Wet: it smells like honey cough syrup. The floral is still there but it smells like an herbal, like herbal tea

Dry down: the longer it's on the more complexity it picks up. The honey gets very rich and sticky, and I can see the candy comparison. There's something in this that reads as red fruit but I suspect is actually a flower interacting with the honey.

This is the best of the plant + honey blends I've tried. Sensual though I wouldn't necessarily call it sexy.

In the bottle: Slightly spicy and resinous sweetness. The best comparison I have is to blends that contain honey and champaca, though this is deeper and not citrus-bright.

On my skin:

Wet, it's spicy floral with an undertone of honey. Even as it dries, the honey remains a background note here and doesn't go all heady (and very powerful) on me, like honey can sometimes do. As it develops, it goes a touch powdery but otherwise stays very nice. This is a very wearable honey blend, possibly the most wearable on me of the Apiary scents I've tried so far. 

Dimetapp honey?

Honestly, I mostly get an artificial grape scent mingling with some floral honey. I'm not a fan of anything artificial grape, ever, so this one is not for me.