Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Joyful Moon

White musk, French vanilla, ambrette seed, frankgipani, angelica root, white rose, orris, and honeysuckle.

I think my bottle got jipped. There is ZERO vanilla in this. None. No orris I smell either. All I am getting from this is bright floral http://www.bpal.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/fear.gif I hunted down a bottle of this for so long. I has the sad. I so love vanilla scents and must track down all of them. I guess when this one was live I didn't buy it for a reason. I kept reading on here all the pretty vanilla descriptions and I figured I missed a good one. http://www.bpal.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/motz.gif

oh well off to ebay

1/5

I bought this when it came out because I love White Rose and hoped this would be another winner. I was sad that this beautiful scent did not last longer than a few minutes. So it has sat in my bottle box since then. I pulled it out today and am so happy! :wub2: Its beauty has amplified during the last 6+ months. White rose and the most beautiful soft musk supported gently by the vanilla and florals.

I gave this a try on a whim because of the french vanilla. In the bottle it was a floral vanilla musk that turned to a blend of white musk and light floral notes once applied. Unfortunately as it warmed it gave me the distinct impressive of expensive soap and was altogether too traditionally perfume-y on me.

I didn't buy this from the lab because I was scared of the ambrette seed -I somehow read annis. Thankfully I was able to get it through the forum! There is, of course, no icky licorice smell to this :D

In the bottle, I smell a warm, soft vanilla and sweet, almost fruit-like honeysuckle. The rose is velvety and gentle and lurking beneath.

On my skin the rose immediately amps, but it's a very realistic, beautiful rose. It's more subtle than Hope (which is the other rose scent I can wear), and is supported with a bouquet of sweet white-and-cream florals. I would wear this to a wedding, for sure. The florals do bloom quite a bit, obscuring the vanilla a little, for about ten to fifteen minutes.

On the drydown however the vanilla musk predominates. The rose has largely faded into the background. I get wafts of gently floral vanilla musk, very similar to the effects of Antique Lace in its far drydown (the scent itself is quite different). I don't get any lunar oils at all from this blend unless you count white musk, which to me smells like musk that's been infused with coconut water. I like it better than The Girl, which had a similar crystalline musk.

Now I want to get married under a Joyful Moon someday!

Sniffed: A sweet, airy white scent: creamy florals with a touch of sugary foodiness.

On skin: If I could describe Joyful Moon in one word, it would be "Gossamer". This blend is an embrace of gentle, creamy florals, fluffy sugary-vanilla, and dry, cozy white musk and ambrette. Very light and threatens to vanish, but nevertheless has a distinct bright presence and doesn't go vague like most other florals do on my skin. I haven't smelled anything quite like this -- the creamy florals remind me of Parsifal, but the airy vanilla resemble the sugar in Antique Lace and Black Lace. Joyful Moon is feminine, delicate, airy and uplifting, indeed like a full white Moon, buoyant and shimmering in the heights of a summer night. The scent is dazzling, unadulterated white, and that's the colour impression I get, plus visions of glistening spider silk, billowing, sheer gauzy curtains, and a pale maiden dancing in the moonlight.

Verdict: Joyful Moon is a masterpiece. I can see how it would be very popular and appealing, it is creamy-sweet and uplifting, and utterly beautiful. I like my perfume a bit darker, and with more sillage, but this is definitely worth keeping to sniff and enjoy its beauty.

Maybe it is good that I didn't review this when I first got it, because I thought it was kind of weird. I found something rather nauseating about it. It smelled kind of like watered down caramel or toffee to me. With maybe a touch of musk. It didn't smell that much different on me. Now, while it still smells kind of the same in the bottle (creamier and more sugary), my nose has adapted to it and I can at least pick up on the gentle florals. On me, I get mostly a sugary white musk with a hint of florals. No vanilla whatsoever. It's kind of a lukewarm scent. As it dries, the white rose is definitely making itself known, but I personally tend to amp rose. Overall, aging has definitely improved this and I am glad that I held onto it.

hmm, this scent is interesting. it's very dry and classic smelling to me, but with an added sweet floral, which i think is the frangipani. the underlying scent seems to be mostly angelica, white rose and honeysuckle. this strongly reminds me of something else i have smelled, but i cannot place it. i am really having trouble describing this scent on my skin. i think my skin is amping it and it's giving me a bit of a headache.

This is one of the most beautifully blended BPAL scents ever--and one of the most accessible lunacies. Normally, I eschew all musk, but white musk, for whatever reason, is gentled by the plush-but-not-creamy vanilla. None of the floral notes stand out but they are there, serving as a quiet chorus. I have a few imps of this scent, but not a bottle so I forget I have this. I hope I remember now, because it's a perfect scent for summer. Not perfumy, but nothing off-putting either--a great scent for public events.

Love me some Joyful Moon.

Thoughts before testing: Lunacies rarely work on me (the notable exception being Honey Moon 2013) but I've seen such good things about Joyful Moon that I just had to try it.

Wet: Beautiful! Wet, this is mostly a really lovely white musk that somehow manages to not go to the Baby Wipes of Doom note that my skin seems to love. It's slightly sweet and I can detect a hint of some lovely soft florals in the background.

Dry down: The rose comes more to the forefront and is fresh and almost juicy. It's backed by the same lovely musk that's been softened by the vanilla. Very pretty.

Dry: The final stage of this is a beautiful floral-vanilla-musk combination. The rose softens and becomes nearly indistinguishable from the rest of the florals and blends into the musk beautifully. At the very tail end (close to 5 hours), it goes slightly powdery but not in an unpleasant way.

Final thoughts: I can see why this is so sought after! Not only is this a Lunacy that worked on my finicky skin, it worked beautifully and lasted for hours. It's soft and feminine and just lovely. I would love to see a re-release of this moon!

Verdict: Hunting for more.

♔ Joyful Moon

In the Bottle: Vanilla orchid musk and light white florals

Wet: The lunacy blends have never really captured my attention as much as other LE releases. Many of the lunar oils seem to have something that doesn’t quite work on me. Joyful moon is an exception. Firstly, French vanilla in this is perfumey, slightly foody, and almost vanilla-orchid musky. It is nothing at all like the french vanilla single note, which is mildly airy, milky, and custardy- more reflective of the process than a type of vanilla.

Drydown: I don’t smell the honeysuckle, white rose, or the orris but there is a powdery sort of component I’m guessing must be the orris marrying the white musk- it’s a beautiful powdery element though! There is also an inkling trace of unlisted white florals in the description (that is white florals not already listed), and then the frangipani, though it isn’t very strong, comes forward in the drydown- it reminds me of a more vanillic version of cascading blossoms. A creamy ethereal. It’s so beautifully whimsical, I am so happy I can treasure my bottle!

TL;DR: Light slightly foodier vanilla orchid musk and a light dusting of frangipani petals

Edited by celestia

So i was really excited about this because that note list is like hot damn. In the bottle it's hard to describe. Sort of flattish, but with a sweet tinge. Not quite medicinal. Maybe just literally rooty from the angelica and orris? Not bad tho. Freshly on i swear i sniffed a trace of peanut butter, stronger on the right wrist then the left, and honestly not much else. I was slightly alarmed but that dissipated fairly quickly as the scent warmed up. Looking at the notes, i'd guess that may be the french vanilla settling in? At first this is very very subtle but it seems to blossom as it dries into a very perfumey perfume. I've definitely smelled some classy bpals before but this is most definitely boardroom, ballroom, penthouse chic stuff imho. Top of the list. Very well blended. I don't get rose as a distinct note at all and i tend to amp that. Must be the white variety doesn't overtake as much. I feel i do get a bit of headiness from the frangipani and the bubbliness of the honeysuckle, but neither come out strong. As it dries further the sweetness kind of dissipates. It's now still perfumey but more of a skin scent i guess you could say. I know angelica and ambrette are used as musks so it must be the melange of musks coming together. There is still a pleasant floral throw around me but up close it's slightly cleaner, but like really sexy skin clean if that makes sense. Pretty good throw as my mom can smell me from across the living room

In the bottle this is just lovely. I'd put in the same family as Ode on Melancholy. Musky, soft florals. A bit sweet, very ethereal. But on my skin the orris turns it very dusty. The rose and ambrette save it for a bit but ultimately this doesn't work on me. Worth a shot!