Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

CICUTA
The Cicuta, also called the Rictus, are least likely to be accepted by human society, and are, sadly, also the least likely to be accepted by other vampires in general. Some vampires have a peculiar adverse reaction to the transference of the vampiric pathogen whereby their physical appearance is drastically altered: They lose their hair, their features become elongated, their eyes protrude, and a permanent and irreversible inflammation of their joints causes stiff movement and a clawlike rigidity in the hands and feet. Cicuta minds function as any other vampire’s, but their appearance is so startlingly different that they find it almost impossible to find any acceptance whatsoever among humans or vampires. Usually these afflicted vampires choose to live in isolation, either on secluded estates or literally underground. Occasionally, small groups of Cicutas can be found cohabitating, finding comfort and companionship with those that share their condition. The Cicuta were parodied somewhat in F. W. Murnau’s 1922 film Nosferatu.

Dry, dusty rose petals, candle smoke, frankincense, and saffron.

Is it possible to have a non-mettalic, metal undertone? It's as if the rose were a flat rose-pop in the can + baby powder and...that strange thing that BPAL's candle does on me. Stays very, very close to the skin. After a few minutes, the baby powder leaves (thank goodness!) but then it's almost just like Rose Cross, with less metal and a bit of the frankincense pop. Lovely, but not bottle-lovely, since the throw is so weak (though it appears to be developing as the minutes go by). 20 minutes later, it's a lovely and mellow version of Rose Cross.

ETA: Er, putting my review in context, BPAL's frankincense is not my friend, and the rose note tends to have a metallic tang that ranges from barely noticeable to eating iron.

Cicuta - Oh, I love this! Love it!!! It's predominantly the scent of dry roses and husky frankincense. It's very dark and romantic. It's sweetened up a touch by the saffron. The smoke is subtle, but adds a nice level of complexity and blends beautifully with the dry rose and frankincense. This is the type of scent that I would definitely associate with the old, stereotypical, romantic notions of vampires. Beautiful, sexy, dark, and very romantic. :wub2:

I'm getting mostly the dry rose and light smoke notes from this one, but that could just be my skin's tendency to amp rose to the exclusion of all else. I could smell the saffron immediately after applying, but it seemed to fade or be overpowered after wearing it just a short time; and I'm not getting any frankincense to speak of. The scent is lovely, thought it is also very straightforward. It is however extremely light, I'm not usually a slatherer but I had to apply more oil than I usually do an the scent is still very light. I think I'll need a full bottle of this for as much oil as it will take to fully appreciate this scent!

Cicuta starts off with a rose note with saffron and a touch of frankincense lurking underneath. The rose is a more subtle red rose note than the usual, although its not the same as the dead roses in Blood Countess or Black Dahlia. There's still a bit of life in these roses.

As this dries, the smoke comes out more and it eventually becomes just soft smoke with a hint of rosy dust. I quite like this! :vamp:

In the vial – Dusty rose

On the skin – Dusty rose, with just a hint of smoke and wax underneath.

Dry – The rose comes through more clearly as it dries, it’s very much a tuberose scent.

I really love the rose in this, and the smokiness of it. But, I'll say that it's really light! I've never felt the need to carry around an imp, but in this case, I definitely feel the urge!

Ah, Hello there Mr. Nos...er, Cicuta. You do have a lot of candles around your underground lair. And powdered roses.

This does remind me of the Rose Cross, though if I remember correctly that was more harsh. Lots of withered roses around here too. It's like Zombi with all the dirt and oakmoss scrubbed off. Zombi with waxy, parchment-like skin that permantly smells of yellow inscence and candle-smoke. There's little throw, but it's not faint either.

I can't decide about this one- it's so much like some GC's and yet it has a charm of its own

I was counting on this to be a subtler version of Saint Foutin de Varailles - and I was RIGHT! :D

Less sweet, less wine and softer overall. I do notice the frankincense a lot more in this, but thats probably because the other notes aren't as pronounced. (If your skin amps frankincense, I would suggest avoiding this blend).

It will be hard for me now to choose which one is better: Cicuta or Saint Foutin... hmmm :think:

Edited by rawgirl75

I don't love this as much as I thought I would. I think that I favor a sweeter, fresher smelling rose, and this is definitely a dry, dark, perfumey rose on me. Then I get mostly candle smoke and saffron underneath the rose. Saffron always has a cheap potpourri spiciness to it on my skin, and I get that here. I like the soft, dark smokiness here (not sharp or gritty, but an exotic, gentle smokiness), but the rose and saffron overpower it and leave me smelling like bad potpourri...

Ok, let me preface this review by stating frankincense and rose hate me. I amp frankincense and rose usually goes to ammonia. That said...

I really like this one! The frankincense is staying well-behaved and the roses are dry enough that they stay smelling like powdered roses. The candle smoke lends it a bit of an airy kind of feel here, and I can't detect the saffron very well. Overall, I quite like this, which is surprising given the notes. It is a little powdery on me though.

Very pretty! Dry roses with a hint of smoke and sweetness. I was expecting this to be darker, but it's actually pretty light! It reminds me of some rose product I used as a kid, but I can't place it. It doesn't have a lot of throw, and by the end of the day it's just a whisper of sweet smoke. I'm glad I got this, I think I'll wear it a lot this fall.

This one is prettier in the bottle than on my skin (usually it's the other way around). The rose petals and frankincense definitely remind me of Rose Cross. On my skin, it's soapsville. :huh?:

Dry roses, frankincense and a hint of saffron. Overall, my skin EATS this blend. Mr. zee_zee thought it was pretty, but unfortunately this has almost no wearlength on me.

Subtle, floral, resinous.

This is the most exquisite, dewy red-black rose sweetened by wafts of beeswax over a strong, rather mystical base of frankincense. No saffron detectable. Evokes dark figures gliding beneath a full moon and a blue-black sky as the wind roars through the trees...strains of organ music filtering through a crumbling, gloomy mansion...you get the picture.

Whoever compared this to Saint Foutin de Varailles is absolutely right - they smell almost identical, except Cicuta doesn't have the headiness from the wine of Saint Foutin. (That's a plus, in my opinion.) Other very similar scents include Spellbound and Black Rose.

Absolutely lovely, so glad I got a bottle!

Dry roses and saffron in the imp and wet on my skin. On drydown, all I can smell is candlewax with a slightly mediciney undertone, which makes me glad it's fading quickly. This is definitely one for the swap pile. Meh.

This is Saint Foutin de Varailles, with added saffron and subtracted wine! Sweet candle smoke and beeswax with a soft, romantic rose, and a bit of spice from the saffron. The saffron note worried me as it can smell a bit funky and foody in a bad way, but it's working out well here, it adds a touch of warm orange to the blend. This is very mysterious and gothic. I love it.

Cicuta - Oh, I love this! Love it!!! It's predominantly the scent of dry roses and husky frankincense. It's very dark and romantic. It's sweetened up a touch by the saffron. The smoke is subtle, but adds a nice level of complexity and blends beautifully with the dry rose and frankincense. This is the type of scent that I would definitely associate with the old, stereotypical, romantic notions of vampires. Beautiful, sexy, dark, and very romantic. :wub2:

I had to quote Edens Sixth Day....THIS is EXACTLY how I feel about this scent. Perfect description!

I thought VILF was for sure going to be my favorite VDSL scent but Cicuta is the one I am drawn to the most.

This is a dusty, dry rose incense on my skin. These are dried, dead rose petals left in a long forgotten manor covered by dust and cobwebs. I love love love this scent, I WILL be purchasing a bottle. LOVE! :wub2: :joy:

I love this, but I have a clear bias because I love rose and what it does on my skin. To me, Cicuta is all rose, all the time, but it is a warmer rose than other BPAL scents with something every so slightly sweet underneath. I reckon that's the other notes, which blend beautifully. This smells like someone took fresh rosewater and turned up the "sexy" button to eleven. Very nice!

eta: I've realized that this reminds me a little of Blood Countess, though not nearly as bold or as deep-dark as BC. This would be Countess Bathory's little sister.

Edited by Leopard403

Beautiful!! I promptly ordered a bottle after testing my decant.

I think I can detect each and every note in this. The rose really does smell dry and dusty - very pretty. The frankincense and saffron make it seem exotic while the candle smoke rounds it all out into a soft and romantic scent. I adore it.

Would be old lady rose, as it's so powdery, but the frankincense and saffron brighten it up just enough. The Rose Cross comparison is apt. I'm quite fond of this one, but I have so many rosy incenses I'm getting picky, so I think I'll just stick with my imp.

We'll see, though - I do reach for this quite a bit!

Sniffed: Rose and frankincense plus another note -- must be the saffron. Very light and faded. And very similar to Rose Cross!

On skin: Indeed, this is Rose Cross with extra notes. The frankincense is deep but faint, the rose is sweet and watery, and the saffron is adding a distinct, spicy touch. I don't really get any candles or smoke. Overall, Cicuta is very gentle and faded. A withdrawn, "shy" scent, it feels forgotten, hidden, yet the touch of saffron spice ensures that it can't really remain hidden. It really fits the vampire description!

Compared to pure, airy Rose Cross, Cicuta is deeper and "adulterated" with saffron. Those who like rose/incense blends may want to check this out.

Verdict: I like Cicuta and think it's very evocative, but it's very similar to Rose Cross (which I like), and I have other rose blends that are more complex and interesting. I may end up swapping this.

I very much wanted to love this one, and the notes sounded like they'd be more fantastic on me, but in the imp I can't tell a bit of difference between it and one of the less pungent brands of citronella candle; it only gets more astringent on my skin. Alas.

I'm not sure how to review this one because it smells very strongly of frankincense on me, and every time I sniff it trying to figure out what it smells like all I can think of is church and Grandma. Rose petals... er, maybe? Saffron? I don't know. Church and Grandma. That's pretty much it. See, this is why I can't wear frankincense scents. I certainly don't dislike it, because my grandma was super awesome. But being constantly reminded of Grandma in a church setting makes me feel... guilty. LOL, Oh, Catholic upbringing, you strike again.

Cicuta

On: Slightly metallic, but not in a bad way. I wonder if it's the frankincense. I can catch the rose, too, which I like. It does have a bit of a sharp "perfumey soap" scent to it on me, which isn't bad, but I'm hoping goes away.

About an hour later: It isn't as sharp as before which is great. It's definitely a dry scent, and I'm loving the ladylike rose.

About 4 hours later: Just a lovely, dusty, rose scent.

Overall: This is very pretty and evocative of Nosferatu-esque vampires, but I have a lot of other rose scents that I wear, so I don't think it makes the cut. That said, my entire office smells of beautiful roses and I didn't even put it on at work. Lovely stuff.