Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ruthless, unfeeling, and inhumanly violent: tobacco, sharp woods, frankincense, and bunn.

Oooh, resinous woods are what pop in this blend, sweet and spiky with a hint of smoke. This is very different from what I expected: sexier than the description would imply, sweeter than most woodsy blends, and dominating, despite the sweetness. There's something herbal and rounding, underneath the woods and incense. I'd say this is gender-neutral, but I think it's definitely something menfolk would find masculine. I would not mind a bottle of this at all!

To me this smells similar to Brotoloigos, only a little friendlier and less sharp. It has that really weird powdery feel to it -- maybe it's this particular tobacco note. I can't really dig it, sadly.

I love that sweet tobacco note, like that in Havana. The tobacco top note then yields to a deeply smokey and otherworldly sweet cream soda scent. Oh, it's so good, I cannot get enough! :wub:

This is a dry, very sweet tobacco/wood scent on me. It's so sweet it actually smells fairly foodie, like it has some sugar and some sort of spice that's commonly found in food.

I'm completely unfamiliar with bunn (thank you to surlygurl for pointing out that it's a type of taro -- Google apparently only thinks that bunn is a type of coffee maker), but I assume that's what's giving it the sweetness. The sweetness is unmistakably not like what you get from a fruit note, it's more like baked goods sweetness.

I only have a tester of this, but I would really like to have some more of this to let my husband try it. This seems a bit on the masculine side to me, and also exactly the sort of scent he likes.

Edited by filigree_shadow

This starts out completely feral and overpoweringly strong. eep! Lots of sharp tobacco, wood, and spice. Originally it was a bit much for me and I love my masculine blends..I was shocked and surprised to check my arm half an hour or so later and the most rich, beautiful smoke and warm tobacco blend springs up! It's like a warm campfire in the woods at night with a man covered in sexy cigar smell. Nice! :D

lol!! I got this free at the request of manly scenbts for my husband to try! and well, lets just say I wont be getting anything that sais tabacoo for him!

this smelled very strong of tabbacco and what my husband called baked goods, which must be the bun. To me it did smell strong of tabacco and earthy too, not our style, but if you are lover of tabbacco scent, try this, it was strong!

ADDED May 9:

this is way to strong on the tabacco scent for me, I can't smell anything else but that.

Added November 2, 2012

My tastes have expanded after a year of bpal love:)

I now love this scent! It has deepened. The tabbacco is unsmoked pipe, sweet and comforting, on sweet fresh cut blonde woods. There is a dark creaminess to it and it lasts!!!

I have become a tabbacco fan now, but only the sweet pipe tabbacco like in interfector!

Edited by Ella LaRose

Interfector

On: Wow. Sweet incense and woods. Very strong. Almost overpowering.

2 hours in: This is really interesting. There's a lovely, almost anise-like note. Maybe the bunn? It also still smells of tobacco and wood, but with that sweeter scent over it.

6.5 hours in: A sweet, almost syrupy wood scent.

Overall: This is really nice after it dries on my skin, but I don't think I'd wear it often.

From the listed notes, I thought this was a surefire winner. It wasn't horrible, it just didn't work out quite how I expected. In bottle, it's very sweet tobacco leaf and goes on wet the same. I noted that it was "too sweet" for me, and I LOVE both tobacco AND foody notes! The sweet, cloying tobacco remained overwhelming, though the woods peeked out a bit. I'm glad it wasn't only me, since I see many people have noted the super-sweetness. It really is reminiscent of caramel and caramel doesn't usually do well on me, I find it sickeningly sweet. I'm sad, the overwhelming sweetness is ruining this blend. Disappointing :(

In the Vial: I received my Vampires Don't Sleep Alone decant circle imps today, and Interfector was the one blend that got a "WOW!" reaction out of me, so I had to try it first! It's sweet, woodsy tobacco. This is a lot like The Antikythera Mechanism - I actually had to get it out and do a comparison. The Antikythera Mechanism has a sharp Pine Sol smell to it at first, while Interfector lacks that, and is softer and sweeter overall.

Wet: Gets really bright and sweet for a few seconds before warming up and mellowing out into gorgeous smokiness. Then it gets very slightly spicy, like there's a hint of... anise, maybe? No, wait, now I'm getting a sassafras vibe from it. I assume that this is the bunn, since someone else mentioned it's a type of taro.

Dry: Hasn't changed much, aside from the bunn getting a bit stronger and giving the whole thing more of a foody feel. Tobacco is still the prominent note by a landslide.

An Hour Later: Hmmmmm. It's gotten less fresh-tobacco and more old-cigarette-butt. But still foody. And, somehow, it's toeing into rancid butter terrority even though no note in this blend should possibly do that. I HATE MY STUPID SKIN CHEMISTRY.

Overall: I was expecting to like this more than The Antikythera Mechanism, but while it starts off nicer, it doesn't end that way. I have a feeling the bunn is the culprit, because it's the foody notes that are turning me off. I may have to death match the two before making my final decision.

Bottle: I definitely get the woods-frankincense-spice combo.

Wet: Woods, spices, and an almost cocoa-chocolate tobacco—much sweeter than the dry, husky, smoky tobacco note I’m used to from the lab. It’ll be interesting to see how this dries.

Dry: There’s a dry, spicy woods base to this scent, but the tobacco is just so sweet. It’s a rich, foody tobacco note that doesn't dry out with time. Not gonna work, which is a shame. For someone who’s okay with foody-tobacco, this would be great. Swap pile.

Edited by curlsandpearls

Tried this one at Dragon*Con. Anything with incense is good, so I figured I might as well.

Wet/in bottle: Sweet woods with a bit of incense, rich and dark.

Drydown: A good whiskey tobacco with incense, very mellow and sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

Dry: Whiskey tobacco goes to caramel. Still more mellow incense, and not as much sweetness.

This works well for men - rich, sweet, and intriguing without being overbearing. It has a bit of throw, so I wouldn't recommend slathering, but it's very pleasant, warm, and masculine. A good bottle if you like a classy touch.

Sweet resinous woods and ahhhhmazing tobacco!

I. Love. This.

Love it!

The tobacco sinks right into my skin (thank you Sakari!) and then throws itself out in a gorgeous cloud surrounded by sweet woods and dark resins.

To hell with labeling this a "masculine" scent. I'm wearing it and wearing it very well thank you! Just ordered two bottles. Maybe I should have ordered three . . . . or four?

I got a surprise sniffie of this (edit, haha, from the wonderful poster above me, no less! ;) ), and it's really lovely, I now have a massive 'do I need a bottle' dilemma going on!

Wet, it's...slightly sharp with the tobacco, but also almost incensey with the frankincense. When first applied there's that slightly old man-ish squelchy countryside and tobacco scent that I got from Bram Stoker, but that rapidly fades into...sexy-guy-out-clubbing smell! It's like tobacco and smoke and cologne all mingling on a battered leather jacket, and it definitely smells dark and dangerous. This stage I absolutely love :) Unfortunately it occasionally dips into bitter tobacco-spit, like when you lick the Rizla and accidentally get a strand of tobacco in your mouth, which is the element that's holding me back from thinking I must have this, but...it is really tempting. I just love how badass and dominant this scent is, while still smelling weirdly natural - there's no artificial manly cologne stink about it - my little masculine collection has nothing with quite the same vibe...

Such a dilemma!! Knowing my impulsive tendencies, I will end up with a bottle ordered before the week is out ;)

Edited by DevilsCandyCane

Interfector is a sweet, chewy tobacco scent with a hint of woods and resin. This reminds me of a pipe tobacco that my dad used to use. It smells like that smelled in the pouch, not during or after smoking it. It's very nice and although I like it, my decant will suffice.

Wet: Tobacco, woods, SEX. Mmm.

Dry: On me, there is nothing sharp about this, it's all sweet, smooth tobacco. I really like it. Because I amp tobacco, lots of blends smell similar to this on me, so I will have to decide if I want more of this.

Been wanting to try this one since the original run! In the bottle, it's pure cigar box, flimsy wood and deep tobacco.

Wet: Hot DAMN. If the incense holds out with this one, it's a definite keeper. In the St. Clare family of woods/incense/tobacco that I adore so very much. The description sounds harsh, but the incense rounds this one out for me, as it so often does.

Drying: Just enough sharpness to be interesting, tobacco not overpowering, and something dark beneath it all - the bunn?

Dry: Ugh, this actually sweetens up and gets better as it dries. An absolute keeper. This will be a go-to fall scent for me, I can tell.

I wouldn't have tried this if I'd realised bunn was coffee when I ordered, but I'm glad I did. The bunn isn't like the sweet coffee in Miskatonic University, which I dislike. It blends in so well with the other notes that you might not even notice it. The scent is rich, dark, very woody, powerful and intense but not overpowering, slightly sweet but not foody. It sweetens a little over time but otherwise doesn't change much. I really like it.

Edited by Tungerine