Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Eons of grief and unending hunger: magnolia, black currant, castoreum accord, lavender, labdanum, amber, rose otto, and opoponax.

Misericordia

On: Lots of lavender.
2 hours in: I'm definitely getting the black currant now, which is giving the scent a candy-like edge. There are lots of sweet, powdery, herbal, and floral notes underneath. Very pretty.
6.5 hours in: Tart, powdery candies.
Overall: This was quite a surprise on me. I wasn't expecting it to go candyish, but I ended up really liking it.

Imp: Strong floral, prominent lavender and a bit of currant tartness.

Wet: This goes on very similar to Lurid, which is one of my favourites. The labdanum is a little smoky sour and resinous and the main notes I'm getting are the current and the lavender. Definitely a bit of rose sweetness and the magnolia is held pretty firmly in check.

Dry: Ah, there's the castoreum accord coming out giving this a slightly animalistic/rotten vibe. I think it's combined with the magnolia to evoke the feeling of decay I get from this scent. It's at the very bottom of the scent and not really noticeable until I get up close to my skin but... it's there. It's kind of gross. Luckily the top notes and the throw are that lovely lavender/rose/currant smell gently spiced and grounded by the resins. It's a bit powdery but very soft and it does smell a bit melancholy.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I'm not loving the castoreum/magnolia combo. This seems like a heavier, muskier and almost rotting version of Lurid, one of my favourite summer scents. It doesn't jibe overly with my chemistry and I think I prefer Lurid.

ITI: IT's herby and slightly resinous. The lavender. opoponax, and spicy castoreum accord. It's brooding and attractive.

Wet: It's sweeter on my skin, but still resinous and herby. The lavender is still rather dominant, although the opoponax and castoreum are close seconds. I get impressions of the rose and magnolia rounding out the scent.

Dry: After 3 hours and some yard work, Misericordia smells like rose, labdanum, castoreum and musky opoponax. It's pleasant but still has some depth.

In the decant, I initially don't detect anything! What on earth, is my nose blind to this? After applying to my wrist, the complete opposite happens. Lavender blasts off my wrist and into my nose! It's so strong that it gives off a medicinal fume that I can feel in my eyes. I'm not certain that I can ride this one out until drydown, but I force myself to wait. After 30 minutes, the fumes and medicinal smell has faded into that familiar herbal lavender that is good for a sleep-scent. The magnolia has arrived! Just a hint of floral gives this some sweetness, but it's still primarily lavender to me. I really don't detect any of the other notes in this. Misericordia is mostly miserable on me, and not my type of vampire. :sad:

Wet: Wow. Dark, syrupy black currant is dominant on me, with the opoponax making it all the more dark and syrupy. This is so interesting, sinister and sexy and just...mmmpf. Very vampy indeed.

But then it starts to disappear. So I applied more. On the second application, I got the same amazing syrupy black currant vibe, but the lavender also comes through, and the two together are actually not all that pleasant, which makes me sad.

Dry: This was so promising at first, I had already started thinking about getting a bottle. However, after applying a bit more and letting it fully dry on my arm, something about this is...off....on me. The lavender is discordant with the other notes. Simply not for me, unfortunately! Really glad to have tried it though.

Bottle purchased from forum!

Wet: Herbal, lavender-heavy, bitter.

I don't much like lavender. I'm hoping this morphs soon.

Dry: I can pick up a bit of the sweeter currant, but the lavender is still sharp and unpleasant.

Not my favorite from this series!