Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fae_Rae

What scents are masculine? Gender-neutral?

As a guy who wears Old Port-Au-Prince fairly regularly, I'd recommend it as a gender-neutral scent as well. It might be a little sweet, but no one's called me Ms. Bobot yet.

i would just die if i ever met a boy who smelled like imp! :P i never thought of that as a masculine/neutral scent, but i can see where it would be now that you mention it on the list. mmm. i can just imagine what he would look like... :D

tee hee! i'm goofy.

Edited by plumlicorice

database updated and the search appends ('traditionally masculine' or 'gender neutral') after the description when appropriate  [search for gold to see for yourself!]

i'll toss in the search for only (masc, neutral, masc/neutral, any) as soon as i figure out how to phrase it.

Thank you thank you thank you! This is something I was going to ask about, if it were a possibility.

Ok, here's what's up. I want to buy somethign for my sweetie to wear, but the problem is he dosen't know what oils he likes. He's use to the cheaper store brand sray stuff (Blech) . So he's really never had a decent fragances. So I was wondering if theres any recommendations that people would give? He likes te more musky, earthy, spicey things. So any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks. :P

Edited by Emu Nymph

Some of the ones that I love and that would smell great on a man are

Greed

Sibirian Musk (single note)

Golden Priapus

Anne Bonny (not traditionally masculine, but I want to smell this on a man!)

I made my friend try the Jolly Roger on. That was yummy with his body chemistry. I also had him try Haunted. It's a good thing we're very good friends... :P

Speaking as a guy, I have the following recommendations:

Mad Hatter

Villain

Embalming Fluid

The Apothecary

Typhon

Old Glasgow

Zephyr

Mars

Golden Priapus

Now, those are ones I've tried that I LOVE... on me and others. There are TONS I haven't tried, and many I've tried that I loved but that just didn't work on me. I tend to go soapy/powdery/or entirely too damned sweet. Sadly.

There is a list of masculine scents to be found on the Lab's pages here.

Hope that helps! :P

actually, the full list can be found by searching for "%" & selecting traditionally masculine (or gender neutral) :P -- that list is missing the last two updates.

my brother loves:

aureus

loviatar

loup garou

...which reminds me, i need to update the reviews...

Red was never a scent person til I got him some BPAL

Spicy/musky he has that are good men's ones are:

Czernobog

Titus Andronicus

Golden Priapus

Satyr

Hellfire

Fenris Wolf

Baron Samedi

Othello

He also wears Zombi, Wicked (a chick's one, but oddly it really works on him), He adores Villain (as it seems most guys do) & just handed him new imps of Whitechapel, Tombstone, Scarecrow, Jolly Roger (which is the most divine boy's smell).

If musky/spicy id what he likes though don't dimiss the more girly ones as body chemistry is weird & as with Red & wicked, it can work.

I haven't been able to convince my man to try too many, but Omen is very spicy/earthy. Noir works really well with his body chemistry, too - not floral or girly at all.

Thanks for all your help. Out of all the lists I'll have him pick something when I have the money to buy it for him.

Edited by Emu Nymph

My boy loves desade.... hence his glowing review. And I would have to say I love it on him.

Whitechapel also smells great.

Golden Priapus smells great on both of us. We may end up fighting over what is left of the imp. Which would really be fair since I have four times as many imps as he does.

I highly recommend Villain: it's a light scent, so shouldn't scare him off if he's not used to wearing fragrances :P

My boyfriend wears O and Old Morocco -- but only wears the O because of the reaction he gets from me. But honestly, even though old Morocco is gender neutral, it has this great spicey scent to it. Also, I'd recommend giving Dragon's Heart a try, because it's got two different musks and has this great spicey scent. The resin makes it a strong scent that would work well for a guy. :P Hope that helps. I've been trying a few other guy scents on my boyfriend and so far his fav. other than Old Morocco has been Azazel.

Vicomte de Valmont!

and I would love to smell Iago on a guy.  Won't be any guy I know, unfortunately (yes, I tried).  But maybe you'd be luckier.

I tried that one, and unfortunately it really wasn't for me.

Here's some to try:

Czernobog

Fenris Wolf

Antony

Lear

Voodoo

The Apothecary

Vicomte de Valmont

Villain

Jolly Roger

Hi,

Would you say that most of the scents are for women or can most of them be worn by both men and women. What's the easiest way to determine whether a scent is better suited for a guy or a girl. Some, I imagine, will be quite obvious - especially if it mostly floral notes. But others... any tips?

Thanks! :P

There is a list of scents that are 'traditionally masculine' on the BPAL site, in the FAQ. However, I've found that even some of the non-masculine scents are adored by my husband .. and by our best friend Brandon.

There is a list of scents that are 'traditionally masculine' on the BPAL site, in the FAQ.  However, I've found that even some of the non-masculine scents are adored by my husband .. and by our best friend Brandon.

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to look at that listing, then. Thanks!! My husband loves Saturn! LOL! We are both looking forward to commencing around the computer tonight to put together our sample order. So many to choose from! :P

I think these are on the masculine side but oh so gorgeous on me and would love to smell them on my hubby if only he didn't think it was gay to put on perfume...

Zephyr, Loviatar, Greed, Damnation, Golden Priapus, Satyr and the Sibirian Musk single note.

My boyfriend has tried out quite a few scents, but so far he's only found two that he wants to wear: O, and Old Morocco. Both of which are gender nuetral, and lots of women on the forum adore. And both smell great on him, not feminine in the least.

And in my next order I ordered some imps that are supposedly gentleman's scents (chypre, jack, and whitechapel), and while I'm willing to let my boyfriend try them on, they're primarily intended for me.

Othello, for example, is a masculing scent with roses in it. And I know that several women don't mind wearing it, and I'd love to smell this on a guy.

And when I read the description for Queen of Sheba, I really wanted to try it out on my boyfriend, but I think I decided in the end that I didn't want him to have to say to someone, "I'm wearing Queen of Sheba." Especially since we're based in SF, where Queen of Sheba could be so easily misinterpretted.

I guess it just depends on what you imagine to be masculine or feminine. I'm hoping to wear Jabberwocky regularly (when it arrives), but I know that several of my female friends wouldn't wear it because the description is so strong (and doesn't contain any traditionally feminine florals, or sweet smells).

So when you're reading a description of a smell, you might be interested in checking out the reviews -- a lot of them actually mention if it's a masculine fragrance, and many of them (Tombstone, for example) have reviews that say "who cares if this is supposed to be for a guy? I love it!"