Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fae_Rae

What scents are masculine? Gender-neutral?

I've been wondering for a while which scents would be good for guys. I know one of my friends is on here looking for some "guy stuff" as he puts it, but its so hard o decipher which are for guys and which arent. What about making a new category with all the scents that are "guy approved"

That's spooky, last night my other half asked me to post exactly that suggestion on his behalf! Thank you for having me the trouble.

(I've shown him the list in the FAQ, but no, he'd like to see a whole separate section for male-friendly scents.)

I quite like there not being a separate section for men. Everything is now based on the descriptions and the essential oils, rather than 'oils for men' and 'oils for women.' Simon got 'Fenris' as he loved the description, not because it suited his gender. :P The 'suggestions' list is a good way round the practical difficulties of not having separate sections.

I do think 'the male list' could have a higher profile on the site - I only found it because I looked at every single page! :shock:

I agree with Alice. I know it shouldn't matter, but I'd be less likely to try a fragrance if it was in the "man" section, even if the notes sound tempting. I'm not really girlish, but my tastes doesn't really run towards unisex blends, but things can really surprise you! It keeps me having an open mind. Likewise, there are probably some scents that haven't made it on the Men Recommended list that could turn out well for them. Didn't someone mention once (or maybe it was on bust...) that snake oil did work for a guy they knew? I think it helps keep their mind open too. But moving the men recommended list to a more notiecable spot would probably be a good idea.

...But moving the men recommended list to a more notiecable spot would probably be a good idea.

Yerah, you're right. I didn't even know there was such a list. If it was somewhere thats easier to find, twould be better.

Btw, Lucas kicks ass :P

what if beth and co went through the perfumes and sorted them as 'masculine/unisex/feminine' and we implemented that in the search engine? then there wouldn't be an explicit division, but it'd be semi-easy to find... so men who want bay rum can have it :P

i was thinking more of have it be an extra thingie, like an extra special optional selection thingie?

i was thinking more of have it be an extra thingie, like an extra special optional selection thingie?

I think that's definitely the best idea. That way, there's no separate section to maintain, just a marker in the database, and I could stop Jef grumbling that he can't find things to try :P

I just received another request for a list of scents that are suitable for a man to wear. Though I think it's a matter of taste, here's my list of our more masculine and gender-neutral blends for future reference.

One of these days, I have to update the FAQ. :P

TRADITIONALLY MASCULINE

Antony

Arkham

Azazel

Baron Samedi

Bluebeard

Czernobog

De Sade

Faustus

Fenris Wolf

Golden Priapus

Iago

Jolly Roger

Laudanum

Lear

Loup Garou

Mad Hatter

Magus

Nero

Oberon

Othello

Titus Andronicus

Tombstone

Typhon

Vicomte de Valmont

Villain

Whitechapel

GENDER-NEUTRAL

All 7 Sins

All Celestials

All Tarot Blends

Absinthe

Anathema

The Apothecary

Aureus

Bacchanalia

Banshee

Black Forest

Black Phoenix

Blood

Bloodlust

Burial

The Caterpillar

Cathedral

Chimera

Chypre

Damnation

Darkness

Debauchery

Deimos

Depraved

Eclipse

Eidolon

Embalming Fluid

Endymion

Entropy

Hunger

Hurricane

Imp

Inferno

Jabberwocky

Lightning

Malediction

Noir

Omen

Oneiroi

Penitence

Phobos

Pulse Priapus

Rakshasa

Saturnalia

Serpent’s Kiss

Shadow

Snake Oil

Thanatopsis

Torment

Umbra

Undertow

Voodoo

Zombi

the 14th or so, i'll add mas/neutral/don't care to the search. [spring break, don'tcha know] :P

Hmmm. Turns out some of my favorite scents are "masculine": Faustus, Laudanum, Othello. Gosh, they didn't seem masculine on me. Should I be worried? :P ... :D

na no worries about whether you like a masc scent.

i have bluebeard and the catepillar and was confused by the idea of them on a guy... but i'm not good with getting male scents (my poor white trash ass likes every man to smell like old spice so i got help from bethy when getting my boy scents)

and i think thats what the list'll be used for. Scents good to introduce men to perfumery. my vote goes to Iago : )

i think jolly roger is more gender neutral...

I wouldn't mind getting a masculine scent for the man I know, but he will be picky. It will have to be very masculine or he won't wear it. He refuses to even wear Sympathy for the Skin out in public and I think that is pretty neutral. Or am I wrong?

LOL I can see where he might think sympathy seems a bit girly. I think a lot of foody scents might lean in that direction. You know baking = kitchen = estrogen mentality. :P

it also helps trying to match a name with his personality. Like my guy, he is obsessed with Wolverine from X-Men, acts like it too sometimes :D :P .... anyway, thinking of that, I got him Loup Garou and Fenris Wolf. They worked really well on him.

Oh, and i think it does have to do with your preference to some scents anyway, like i ordered Azazel and fell in love with it

Edited by Fae_Rae

database updated and the search appends ('traditionally masculine' or 'gender neutral') after the description when appropriate [search for gold to see for yourself!]

i'll toss in the search for only (masc, neutral, masc/neutral, any) as soon as i figure out how to phrase it.

it also helps trying to match a name with his personality. Like my guy, he is obsessed with Wolverine from X-Men, acts like it too sometimes :D  :P .... anyway, thinking of that, I got him Loup Garou and Fenris Wolf. They worked really well on him.

that did help. Jolly Roger sounded good to him as he was a sailor. I hope that one works for him. It sounds good.

i thought saturn smelled masculine but i haven't found a guy to hold down and splash with it yet.

it also helps trying to match a name with his personality. Like my guy, he is obsessed with Wolverine from X-Men, acts like it too sometimes .... anyway, thinking of that, I got him Loup Garou and Fenris Wolf. They worked really well on him.

Oh, and i think it does have to do with your preference to some scents anyway, like i ordered Azazel and fell in love with it

I wonder if that is why I like O so much...hmmmmm...

getting my submissive butt back to work...

Lisa in Austin