Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fae_Rae

What scents are masculine? Gender-neutral?

I would like a masculine smell for winter. Strong, possibly woodsy and cold feeling. I have a summer cologne (aquatic- go figure) and I am in need of a winter one. I'm not a huge fan of leather, but I might try lighter note of it.

GC-wise, Black Forest might be a good fit. Reviews are here.

Many of the Yule blends have cold+woodsy notes. You shouldn't have too much trouble tracking most of them down on forum. I'm not super familiar with them, as I just got into BPAL toward the end of the last Yule release, but Woods in Winter and Faunalia were both masculine, winter woodsy blends on me.

Well... I was thinking and I have three scents that I would like to try. They are not really "essence of winter" but I don't care. My choices are villain, tombstone and Fenris Wolf. What does everyone think?

Edited by roots

I love tombstone, but it's more old timey country store: Strong cedar sweetened by things like sarsparilla.

Fenris Wolf is one of my two Holy Grails, I adore it. I wouldn't call it a masculine scent and am always surprised when somebody does, but it's definitely gender-neutral. It's not a cold scent either, more warm and slightly fruity because of the red musk, but absolutely glorious. I wouldn't have picked it based one the notes as they don't sound very appealing to me, but I received it as a frimp from another generous bpaler and it was an instant love.

I would like a masculine smell for winter. Strong, possibly woodsy and cold feeling. I have a summer cologne (aquatic- go figure) and I am in need of a winter one. I'm not a huge fan of leather, but I might try lighter note of it.

Many of the Yule blends have cold+woodsy notes. You shouldn't have too much trouble tracking most of them down on forum. I'm not super familiar with them, as I just got into BPAL toward the end of the last Yule release, but Woods in Winter and Faunalia were both masculine, winter woodsy blends on me.

Well... I was thinking and I have three scents that I would like to try. They are not really "essence of winter" but I don't care. My choices are villain, tombstone and Fenris Wolf. What does everyone think?

All are extremely good choices in my book . Villain & Fenris are two of my all time favorites . Tombstone isn't bad either , just not as much a winner for my nose . It's a little weaker carry wise , or my skin eats it up . One of the two , haven't decided yet . For something totally different you might try Mad Hatter , Crowley , Coyote , Golden Pirapus , or Fighter from the RPG line . All are fantastic .

All are extremely good choices in my book . Villain & Fenris are two of my all time favorites . Tombstone isn't bad either , just not as much a winner for my nose . It's a little weaker carry wise , or my skin eats it up . One of the two , haven't decided yet . For something totally different you might try Mad Hatter , Crowley , Coyote , Golden Pirapus , or Fighter from the RPG line . All are fantastic .

I am also thinking of getting Tezcatlipoca. I think ill just do the 6 imps lol

I am also thinking of getting Tezcatlipoca. I think ill just do the 6 imps lol

Another of my favorites . It does have some leather to it , but the cocoa is fantastic & melds with it .

Another scent that is amazing on my husband, and seems like a very elegant rich man's scent, Lady Death, Savage. Here is the description

White musk, grey amber, Calabrian bergamot, vanilla absolute, French labdanum, styrax, wormwood, caraway, and bois de jasmin.

It's really beautiful.

First of all, it was not until a year ago that I became interested in perfume/cologne (whatever). Before that, if I ever wore a scent, it was Old Spice. So I'm new at this man-stink thing.

I've spent the last six months testing many imps... as well as a few full-sized bottles whose notes compelled me to buy them on spec.

So far my all-time favorites are:

Silas Ruthyn (dark, smoky, with a hint of sweetness [from the tonka?]...who would have thought opium tar could smell so good?)

Dracul (there's something about the mint and the cumin [of all things]... that makes me keep coming back)

Satyr (it's a weird, sweet/pungent/sweaty/animal smell that mellows out after about 30 minutes, I find myself huffing my wrist like a girl)

Old Demons of the First Class (I don't know how to describe this, but I like it)

Morocco (like snake oil, with a twist)

I also really like:

Titus Andronicus

Vicomte de Valmont (there's an astringent quality about this... my wife says it's the closest of the bunch to "commercial" scents)

Old Scratch (this is aging really well)

Hellfire

Casanova (refined masculinity)

Fenris Wolf

Edited by JonesRE

I just passed off a bunch of man scents to the boyfriend. As far as I could tell, his favorites were Oblivion (Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron) and Absinthe (An intoxicating blend containing wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon). Whenever I manage to look through what all he took, I'll make a list of his favorites and post them here.

I actually really like Jabberwocky for this, because the sharper notes mix with the orange and, at least for me, turn into something very similar to balsam. You know that smell? The really sweet, fragrant kind of pine that mostly grows in the American northeast woods. So it's balsam with orange overtones. The official description is "An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange." It's in the Mad Tea Party section.

I just passed off a bunch of man scents to the boyfriend. As far as I could tell, his favorites were Oblivion (Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron) and Absinthe (An intoxicating blend containing wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon). Whenever I manage to look through what all he took, I'll make a list of his favorites and post them here.

Well, now that you mention it, any of the booze scents would work for a guy. When I think "masculine scent" I think of spices and musks and sweat and all that good guy stuff, or wood & vanilla & books, etc. Booze works for anyone.

Besides Absinthe, there is always Twenty-One (the perfect martini), and Juke Joint (big hit of bourbon). I have them but rarely use them because, well, I'm not sure reeking of booze going *into* a bar is such a hot idea.....

Well, now that siberian musk is out, I'm actually thinking about getting that one! It's very hard to choose.

Well, now that siberian musk is out, I'm actually thinking about getting that one! It's very hard to choose.

Old Demons of the First Class is based on Siberian Musk. It's an excellent cold-weather scent.

The Caterpillar - it smelled on me in a way I might just describe as incensey men's cologne.

Danse Macabre I found to be strangely masculine as well

Goblin and Scarecrow I would define as more male than female oils.

Black Phoenix is also gender neutral but ideally, I get the impression it is something a refined gentleman out of a Wilde' play should wear.

Gender neutral scents with no male or female shades for me to perceive:

Chimera, Lurid, Haunted, Brimstone

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an aquatic scent and a woody scent. Both of them should be fairly dark, not too sweet, and appropriate for a gentleman.

Any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an aquatic scent and a woody scent. Both of them should be fairly dark, not too sweet, and appropriate for a gentleman.

Any ideas?

I'm no help with the aquatic, they're rubbish on me.

Can you give us more on the woody scent - what kind of woody? dry? wet? cologne-ish? sweet?

I can't do aquatics any longer, but if you like leather Jolly Roger is good for ocean aquatics. Ryleh is more river delta but can be lovely if you have the skin chemistry for it.

If you like cedar, I suggest Tombstone. For pine, you might want to see what's in the Yules. For oak, how about Antikythera Mechanism? For Mahogany there are Bloody Banister and forbidding Foyer among the Yules.

I can dig around some more if you like.

Hello there, I'm looking for scents which are both dark and elegant, and which are masculine (though not overpoweringly so). Something appropriate to a gothic gentleman. Any opinions?

Hi everyone,

Any ideas?

I love it when my brain keeps tapping me on the shoulder, as if to say, "Hey, we know something more about that. Keep looking."

Some suggestions, based on the combined effect on my brain of the two posts:

Diabolus - DRACUL - Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom

llyria - IAGO - sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver.

Marchen - THE BLACK RIDER - Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber.

RPG - Classes: ROGUE - Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin. (this has a sweet-salty effect on me and it's a little like an aquatic. Well, as close as I get anyway.)

Sin and Salvation - THE GREAT SWORD OF WAR - Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.

The Last Unicorn - CAPTAIN CULLY - A cocky light musk with leather, tonka, a dusting of dry woods, and a splash of porter (probably the sweetest of the batch here.)

If you don't mind boozy: Neil Gaiman, American Gods - MAD SWEENEY - Barrel-aged whiskey and oak.

Hopefully some of those are helpful at all.

THE ANTIKYTHERA MECHANISM: Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.

To my nose this one is very sweet - obviously YMMV - it's nearly all black vanilla and tobacco on me, with only a light backing of teakwood. The oak is completely lost. I'm glad someone had aquatic recommendations - they nearly all smell terrible and sharp to me (and then they trigger a migraine. :( )

My boyfriend likes Nero, Taphophobia v2, Krampus and Aperotos Eros, so far. I think the first three are pretty masculine and that Aperotos Eros is pretty good on me, too.