Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fae_Rae

What scents are masculine? Gender-neutral?

My guy likes Noir (and it smells fabulous on him!) However, I will never reveal to him that it is not on the list of traditionally masculine scents!

I'm almost ready to place an order for new Imp Ears! But I also want to treat my boyfriend to a few, as well. Here's my list...

For me: Haunted, Dragon's Milk, Ophelia, The Unicorn, Wanda, Black Dahlia and Titiana.

For him: Wilde and Wolf's Heart.

I'm also extremely tempted to get Embalming Fluid and The Apothecary. :P

So! What do you insightful minds think about scents for men? Wilde? Wolf's Heart? Any others you can suggest?

Thank you!!

Ambrosia :D

DeSade, whitechapel, golden priapus (which I can wear too, bonus :P ), Iago and Jolly Roger all smell awesome on my guy.

We have both of the ones that you asked about coming, but I havn't tried either of them yet. Wilde sounds really nice.

Ooooh, I like the sounds of Golden Priapus and Tempest! And of course, NOW I see the "Search" button on the BPAL page. D'oh!

Many thanks to you both! :P

My favorite scents on men are:

*Jolly Roger (this is an outdoor, ocean-y, manly man scent, a la Russell Crowe in Master and Commander :P )

*Faustus (a gorgeous, dark, complex, interesting scent)

*Old Port-au-Prince (spicy, rummy, and a bit sweet - but not in a girly way)

*Aureus (resiny and woody)

*Tombstone (picture being in a deserted saloon with wood paneling, in a ghost town in the Sierras. You're up at 8,000' and there's a dry conifer forest nearby...With a dash of vanilla :D - but a buttery vanilla, not at all sweet)

*Cathedral (resiny, dry, and incensey)

*Black Forest (the name says it all, reminiscent of being in a murky dark forest)

Great list, Ambrosia!

I'd recommend Villian and Vicomte de Valmont. I love De Sade and Jolly Roger, but the Villain and Vicomte were scents that I just couldn't get enough on when they'd been applied to man-flesh.

Both were *truly* drool inducing.

I get goosebumps just thinking about how good Vicomte smells ... ooh! :P

Edited by jj_j

My husband is fond of the following:

Embalming Fluid (tied as favorite)

Old Port Au Prince (tied as his favorite)

Baron Samedi

Jolly Rogers

He's also getting to like Fenris Wolf and Seance. We also have Lear and Iago.

He made an order of imps a couple weeks ago (since I picked the other three orders) so that he could choose the scents he wanted to try, that list included:

Apothecary

Jabberwocky

Mad Hatter

Djinn

Roadhouse

Carnivale

Severin

Vicomte de Valmort

Faustus

DeSade

Hellfire

Torment

Laudanum

Dissipation

Danse Macabre

Wilde

Don't how much he will like the pending orders but there were plenty that caught his interest.

I love Old Port-au-Prince on my husband. And he loves that I love it on him. :P

But I recently ordered some others for him to try. I'm really looking forward to Antony.

I know I've said this on other posts, but my boyfriend really loves O and Old Morocco, so much so that I recently placed an order for a 5ml of Old Morocco for him.

So far, it seems like he's interested in trying Wilde, and Jabberwocky (although he may have to fight me for that last one, and since we're the same size it'll be a good little brawl) :P But I think I can manage to share if it smells good enough on him. :D

Otherwise, he's tried several of the gender neutral and non traditional scents, and he's like the way that Lear and Azazel smell in the bottle (Lear does a super sage routine on his skin, and Azazel reminds him too much of spaghetti for him to wear it). We've also tried Mad Hatter and Villain on him, but there's something about the more traditional male scents that don't work so well on him. Old Port-Au-Prince smelled nice on him, but was a bit too heavy on the spices for him to like.

And I've got my own personal wishlist of imps that I want him to try, like DeSade, and Fenris Wolf.

Anyhow, I hope that gives you an idea. :D

I like these on me, but I think they would be heaven on a bloke!

Zephyr, Loviatar, Greed, Damnation, Golden Priapus, Satyr and the Sibirian Musk single note.

I tried the following on my husband the other night (against his will, might I add): :P

Jolly Roger -- this smelled fresh, but a bit too floral and feminine on him. He is a very sophisticated Lebanese man (his favorite fragrance is vetivert), and the scent of the fresh high seas just didn't work on him.

Oberon -- this smelled nice, but also not quite "him." It was very piney. I look forward to trying this one on myself.

Burial -- this smelled like wood and fresh earth. He liked the scent, but not to wear as a fragrance.

Hemlock -- I liked this one on him. It was very herbal and fresh, but in a "bright" way, almost like a really flashy aftershave. This would smell great on him fresh out of the shower, right before going out into the hot sun.

I'm thinking of ordering some imps especially for him, but I'm not sure where to start. He likes fresh, citrussy things grounded by vetivert and spice, but nothing overwhelming. He likes "understated." I look forward to experimenting with oils for him!

I haven't smelled that many of the "men's" fragrances, but I have to enter my vote for Scarecrow. I love it on me, and I love, love, LOVE it even more on my husband.

I applied a little dab of Othello to the back of dear hubby's neck yesterday just to see how it smelled on him. It smelled nearly the same on him as it did on me. It's a gorgeous scent and I wanted to gobble him up but it's really not masculine. It was weird smelling flowers on him, weird but goooood.

I'm going to try Black Forest on him next. :P

and I don't have a man to try anything on! :P :D

hmmmm.... wait, I can think of someone... maybe Envy (green herbal sweetness, mmmmm...) would smell good on him, as sweet scents work well for him. he's a "Rochas Man" and "Angel" guy.

I'm thinking of ordering some imps especially for him, but I'm not sure where to start.  He likes fresh, citrussy things grounded by vetivert and spice, but nothing overwhelming.  He likes "understated."  I look forward to experimenting with oils for him!

incantation comes to mind. i wouldn't really call it fresh or citrusy, but there's definitely the vetiver and lemon going on.

voodoo might be another good one. again, not so much fresh/citrus, but the vetiver/lime/spice.

hurricane definitely has the fresh with vetiver thign going on

serpent's kiss is a great vetiver/spice scent

I just got my Anne Bonny, which is a blend of sandalwood patchouli and frankincense. Strong enough for a man but made for a woman, LOL. No but seriously, unisex. It has a cool salty pirate note in it, anyone with a little hutspa would love it.

I got half an imp of Greed in a swap, thought it smelled a tad masculine on me and tried it on my boyfriend. What a surprise, he loved it (and I loved it on him), he hasn't really liked anything else I've gotten for him. Then I got Wilde (recommended to me on the Recommendations board) in an order the other day, that one is fabulous on both of us, it made a convert out of him! He went and ordered big bottles of both Greed and Wilde and a few more imps to try (plus a couple in there for me to round out the six pack :P )

I also thought Voodoo, Tombstone and Hellfire smelled great on him but he's too conservative for those. If your guy is on the wilder side, oooh baby, try them!

Vicomte de Valmont is just delicious on Michael... We tried a couple of other scents, Antony, Wilde, and I believe we put Greed on him as well, but everything came out flowery on him. I guess his skin just pulls any floral scent to the top..

But Vicomte, how I am not to be trusted in a room alone with him when he wears that. *drool*

Okay, how about Lust? Here's one of the reviews...the first one LOL

LUST

From the Seven Deadly Sins collection...

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

Lust...if the daughters had been asleep, I would have attacked Chris on the spot. A second sniff and I feel a deep desire burning within.

*edited to add the official BPAL description*

Hass anyone tried this on a man? I think it would work and I kinda wanna get it and force my SO to wear it at some point when I see him.... just to see if I try to jump him... LMAO Hey, who cares if I tumble him out in public.... okay wait my family is overprotective and wouldn't be far away so nevermind the plan to jump him... LMFAO.

Any idea if it'll work like that? :P

I'm thinking of getting himself a BPAL or two :D

he's a clint eastwood fan; both dirty harry and westerns :P

doesn't do aftershave normally :D

likes vanilla :D

hates cinnamon/clove/spice :D

I'm thinking tombstone.....

anyone got any thoughts or recommendations?

I'm thinking of getting himself a BPAL or two  :D

he's a clint eastwood fan; both dirty harry and westerns  :P

doesn't do aftershave normally :D

likes vanilla  :D

hates cinnamon/clove/spice  :evil:

I'm thinking tombstone.....

anyone got any thoughts or recommendations?

Golden Priapus? It has a nice vanilla note. what about Dorian? It is quite vanilla-sweet but isn't spicy. Although it doesn't contain Vanilla, Villain is a lovely men's blend which sweetens up as it dries down. Tombstone is a good vanilla, but to my nose it develops a latex-glove aroma, I know other people love it though so it could just be me!

Oooh, and of course if he is a western fan Dead Man's hand might be right up his alley :D

The two that have made the best appearance on the SO;

Villain

Skadi

Skadi smelled good on me, but great on him. He can't seem to wear musk, Oisin turned slightly strange on him, although I think that could be a wonderful scent for a man.