Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fae_Rae

What scents are masculine? Gender-neutral?

Well, as a guy, my favorites thus far are Fenris Wolf, De Sade, and Bluebeard. Out of your selections, the only one I've tried is Antony, and it was a bit too floral for my tastes. It, or the others, might work out for you though.

Many people have mentioned Torture King, but Torture Queen from the Carnival Diabolique is excellent as well; I think it smells EXACTLY like CK51!

Someone sent me a decant of Banana Peel in a Graveyard and when I first tried it on the banana lasted all of 1 min but 4 or so months later as it aged the banana has staying power. It reminds me of Polo (the original green bottle).

Manners Among Men & Women... from this year's Shungas has turned into a sleeper hit for my husband... On him, the sake & woods cut right through the apricot, and the end result is this clean, warm, freshly-laundered-shirt scent - very low-key & natural, but totally office-appropriate :yum:

Personally I think the only way to define a scent based on sex is what sex it makes go crazy. I wanna know what scents are good for driving women crazy for instance, which in general terms would ahve to be called a masculine scent.

I've slowly (while trying to cover as much of the catalog as possible) been setting aside certain scents as "male." Normally, I give them to the guy who got me into BPAL in the first place by giving me all his imps. The ones he likes, he keeps, the rest I swap off.

So far, these are the ones he's kept and I've approved are good on him. (Some I absolutely HATED until he tried them on)

Anthony - Guy

Baron Samedi - Guy

Bensiabel - Guy

Brown Jenkins - Guy

Calico Jack - Guy

Coyote - Guy

Crowley - Guy

Doc Constantine - Guy

Dorian - Guy

Grog - Guy

Jolly Roger - Guy

Libertine - Guy

Lysander - Guy

Oberon - Guy

Nyarlanthotep - Guy

Phoenix Steamworks - Guy

Plunder - Guy

Port Royal - Guy

Saytr - Guy

Snake Oil - Guy

St. Germaine - Guy

Tavern of Hell - Guy

need to add, Velvet Dogs Playing Poker. I'd *LOVE* to smell that on a man.

Edited by izile

Manners Among Men & Women... from this year's Shungas has turned into a sleeper hit for my husband... On him, the sake & woods cut right through the apricot, and the end result is this clean, warm, freshly-laundered-shirt scent - very low-key & natural, but totally office-appropriate :yum:

Yes! This surprised me too. It's not something I want to wear all the time, but I definitely want to have it on hand. Not what I expected from the description/notes. The apricot is kind of dry, and reminds me a little of Ebisu....

I love the gender-neutral scents. I love the ones that have a feminine element, but end up working for me anyway. Metal Phoenix is a good example. It just works.

I do still love Baron Samedi, and I need to get a bottle of that soon.

Personally I think the only way to define a scent based on sex is what sex it makes go crazy. I wanna know what scents are good for driving women crazy for instance, which in general terms would ahve to be called a masculine scent.

This phrased in a strangely hetero sexist manner, but I'll suggest Vicomte de Valmonte as something that creates insanely sexy pheromones. They seem to work on women more strongly than men, but they work on androphilic men too. It's a generally masculine scent, but it works for some lesbians too.

Potter's Field is kind of a hidden gem. Dirt, grass, herbs and wood combine to make something really special. After the dirt note backs off a little, it starts to resemble a more traditional, somewhat masculine cologne, but in the best possible way.

I found Oblivion quite a masculine scent. Other ones I quite like on men are Vicomte de Valmonte, Torture king and Loviatar <3 Though I love nothing more than Whip on a man. Who says men can't smell like roses )<?

Edited to say I retested Vicomte de Valmonte last night and it smells exactly like the silver bottle of Swiss Army I have (rofl stolen off my brother :P)

Edited by HighPriestessIce

Someone sent me a decant of Banana Peel in a Graveyard and when I first tried it on the banana lasted all of 1 min but 4 or so months later as it aged the banana has staying power. It reminds me of Polo (the original green bottle).

Lady on The Grey goes to Polo for men on me. Is there some weird Gaiman thing happening here?

Festival of Anuket is a great cologne-esque scent - it's bright and clean. As soon as I sniffed it, it struck me as either male or gender-neutral.

Just throwing it out there!

I tend to like more "masculine" scents myself. My husband and I even share oils.

Some of my favorite masculines are...

- Brimstone

- Moai

- Death of Autumn

- Goblin Rider

- De Sade

- Tombstone

- Rumpelstiltskin

- Frederic

- Port Royal

I have two imps that I can't wear but seem very masculine (and dead sexy) to me:

Mr. Nancy (from Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys) - Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime.

The Sailor's Den (The Salon) - Orris, bay rum, palm, coconut meat, oak wood, tobacco, linen, blue lilac, and leather.

Hmmm, the common ingredients are bay rum and tobacco. Apparently to me, hot sexy boys smell like bay rum and tobacco. Woo!

After a quick search, I see I need to sniff Isaac, the Living Skeleton from CD (Bourbon, tobacco, dry bone, bay rum aftershave, and sleazy cologne).

Here's three GC blends that seem to be comparable:

Baron Samedi - our spin on traditional Bay Rum

Elegba - coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum

Santo Domingo - an exotic, sultry blend of tobacco leaf, bay rum and heady Caribbean blossoms

I will be getting imps of these, oh yes...

Edited to add that I have a gentleman friend who has been having a four plus year affair with Sin (amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon), and I recently convinced him to branch out, and he has now fallen hard for Red Rose (from the Valentines' Trading Post Unity Set - Red rose buds, with amber, clove, tonka, Indian musk, fir, and tobacco). Both smell lovely on him, and Red Rose is very clove-heavy to my nose.

Edited by sighanne

I don't recall seeing it mentioned, so I wanted to throw Jersey Devil into the man-friendly scent ring. My fiance and I both love it - on me the berry comes out more, but on him, it stays much more pine and woodsy. Very nice.

my husband's current selection of 11 scents are thus (in order of preference):

satyr

zombi

umbra

himerus (he admits he only wears this as often as he does because i love it on him)

banana peel in a graveyard

depraved

crowley

de sade

port royal

al-shairan

nephilim

the only one here that we both wear is depraved, though we each have our own bottles.

Did anyone mention Hemlock? This smells soooooo good on my boyfriend. OMG! amazing!!

:joy:

ETA: Oh & I forget Blade of Grass. I initially got it for my boyfriend as a joke since he's a landscaper hehe but I think it definitely could be a masculine scent.

Edited by boxinghelena

My boyfriend os wonderfully willing to wear whatever I dab him with. (MOstly I think he is tolerant because he loves how BPAL smells on me and how I react to BPAL on him :wub3: )

The two that I absolutely LOVE on him are Frederic ans Samhainophobia '07. I need to find a non-LE that I love just as much.

I need to reiterate Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn. One of the sexiest scents on my hubby, hands down. <3 Velvet Panther, Velvet Tiger, Dee, Cthulhu, and Phoenix Steamworks are fantaaaastic, too. :D

The DH's top ten:

Vicomte de Valmont

Galvanic Goggles

Wilde

Spider

Aureus

Men Ringing Bell with Penises

Johnathan Harker

Saint-Germain

No. 93 Engine

Crowley

Honourable mentions go to:

Calico Jack

Orpheus

Frederic (this aged incredibly well!)

C. Auguste Dupin

Violens

Lurid Library

And thanks for mentioning how Manners Among Men and Women worked for some of the menfolk out there - I'm eager to test this one on the DH now! :D

My favorite on my DH is Tombstone, followed closely by The Bow and the Crown of Conquest. He also likes Satyr and Wilde (this one is quite a traditional cologne-y type scent to my nose).

My little brother got in on the imp-action last night (love friends being enabled and arm smelling over the kitchen table) and was testing unloved impies. . . and we discovered that Desdemona (sweet pea, carnation, and water lily) smells fantastic on him, all spicy carnation and warmth. He was testing out florals and others and finding that his skin chemistry took some scents in completely different directions, which I thought was just fascinating.