Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fae_Rae

What scents are masculine? Gender-neutral?

Out of the new GCs? Havana smells awesome on my guy. It helps that he's Cuban, but the minute I opened the imp up just to give it a sniff, I knew it'd be perfect. It's actually replaced Jolly Roger as his favorite "boy BPAL", and he's gonna want a bottle soon. :P

My fiancé LOVES Wilde and the new Pirate Moon on himself!

He also enjoys Scarecrow and October.

It's not a hard and fast rule but the more 'masculine' smelling fragrances of BPAL's I find I prefer in scent lockets or as room fragrances. I do love though that there are heaps of BPAL fragrances that strike me as amazingly gender neutral and I find that there are some I would just love to smell on a male (I once tested Snake Oil on a male friend and it smelled wonderful on him, and it smells equally but differently wonderful on me).

I'm still learning. Now I think some bpal scents are too masculine (Dee, I'm looking at you), and I really lean towards the truly gender-neutral ones. Death Of Autumn is my new favorite gender-neutral blend....I really love it! I also love October, and I do consider it pretty masculine although from the reviews, some of the girls really like it too.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my hunter moon 07 but i have a feeling maybe it will be nicer on man chemistry so i might make the boy try it before i do...

What are your thoughts on Centzon Totochtin for a man?

I was going to buy that for my man, and Tezcatlipoca for my boss.

Judging from the reviews, I am wondering if I should switch who those go to?

Only problem being, I picked the Tezcatlipoca for my boss because she really likes patchouli, which I don't believe is one of the notes for Centzon Totochtin, so I'm having a bit of a conundrum...thoughts?

I'm still learning. Now I think some bpal scents are too masculine (Dee, I'm looking at you)

You hit the nail on the head there. I had to scrub Dee off... on me it smelled pretty much identical to the cheap colognes that everyone at my high school wore... "department store masculinity" is the only way I could describe that one. Blick.

I'm still learning as well and this thread looks like a great place to start.

My favorite man-scents (in my little imp box labelled "man scents" haha):

De Sade. I can only sniff this whenever I want to turn myself on. Seriously, the scent goes straight to my vagina these days, ahahah. Wow would I love to be with a man who wears this!

Krampus. WARM man! I've yet to test it on a guy but I expect only goodness.

Baron Samedi. Foody, yummy man!

The Organ Grinder.

Doc Constantine. A little too aquatic/herbal/fresh for my tastes, but manly nonetheless.

Fenris Wolf. Post-coital man. Haha, sorry but that's the image I get!

Vechernyaya.Metrosexual man! Really, it is.

Al-Shairan.Not really sure how I feel about this one, but it stays in the category still.

and finally

Count Dracula. Man who will fuck me up. In the fucking good "fucking" way. Fuck, that's good.

I'm a guy and I bought Himerus, Desire and Snake Oil and I'm still waitng for them to come. Should I be nervous?

I think those will work for you :D My husband's collection/favorites so far~

Black Forest

Tombstone

TKO

Antony

The Perlious Parlor

Dorian

Dogs Playing Poker: A Bold Bluff

Scorpio '07

Dracul

Nosferatu

Bow and Crown of Conquest

Scales of Deprivation

13(orange label)

Bonfire Night

The High Priest Not To Be Described

Anubis

Al Azif

Satyr

I think I listed all of them. He doesn't wear Snake Oil often but it's also among his favorites. They all smell absolutely divine on him :P

So far reading this topic I've come to the conclusion that both Fenris Wolf and Baron Samedi might be good options for presents for my man but I'm still not sure. Scent wise I see him as quite a vintage, bourbon mixed with spice sort of bloke with a tinge sandalwood. I think deep brooding (yet with a certain sort of softness) notes may work, so does anyone know what I should be looking at for definite?

So far reading this topic I've come to the conclusion that both Fenris Wolf and Baron Samedi might be good options for presents for my man but I'm still not sure. Scent wise I see him as quite a vintage, bourbon mixed with spice sort of bloke with a tinge sandalwood. I think deep brooding (yet with a certain sort of softness) notes may work, so does anyone know what I should be looking at for definite?

I too was looking for something like you described and so far I think Wolf's Heart is the best fit. I've taken to wearing it daily now (though I'm still ordering away in hopes of finding something even more to my liking.)

I'm really enjoying Lear, and can't help wondering how it would smell on a man. Have any of you guys tried that one?

My husband is adamantly against all things perfume-related for himself, alas (arrrgh! so frustrating!). Guess I'll have to find another guinea pig! :P

I have a boy who likes to look dashing and takes a lot of care of his appearance, but he has a fairly simplistic sense of smell (like me), so he doesn't get particularly hyped about BPAL. The only scent I've tried on him was Vicomte de Valmont, which, while pleasant, reminded me really strongly of his deodorant, Lynx Pulse (I think that was the one). So far, the 'masculine' scents I've wanted to try on him have been kind of cologn-y and I can't smell much beyond that (such as Aziraphale). He's quite a charming chap who is also bookish and slightly academic, so any bookish or swashbuckling scents that don't smell too cologn-y would be good.

I recently went shares with a friend on Crowley with a friend, and it's lovely, so I want to try that on him. I'd also like to try Dee on him. However, does anyone else have suggestions for non-cologn-y masculine scents?

I have a boy who likes to look dashing and takes a lot of care of his appearance, but he has a fairly simplistic sense of smell (like me), so he doesn't get particularly hyped about BPAL. The only scent I've tried on him was Vicomte de Valmont, which, while pleasant, reminded me really strongly of his deodorant, Lynx Pulse (I think that was the one). So far, the 'masculine' scents I've wanted to try on him have been kind of cologn-y and I can't smell much beyond that (such as Aziraphale). He's quite a charming chap who is also bookish and slightly academic, so any bookish or swashbuckling scents that don't smell too cologn-y would be good.

I recently went shares with a friend on Crowley with a friend, and it's lovely, so I want to try that on him. I'd also like to try Dee on him. However, does anyone else have suggestions for non-cologn-y masculine scents?

My husband has been slathering himself with Western Diamondback lately. He loves it and asked me to show him where to find it on the website so he can order another bottle. I like it on him too, but would like him to try other scents, so I'll be paying attention to the recommendations you get.

Another vote for Golden Priapus. I just melt when I come home and smell this on my lover. And, really, it smells nothing like a penis, but maybe it smell like a golden penis? I don't know. Never smelled one.

Anyway, he also likes Tombstone, but it's a little too licorice-sweet for me. I'm also dying to try Severin on him (which I'm wearing today). He is usually partial to more spice, but I think Severin would make a great part-time summer scent for a man.

ETA: I'm also curious to see how Juke Joint would smell on a guy. (I like it on me.)

Edited by bookishbunny

Pollution.

Smells more like a commercial perfume (minus the alcohol cloud).

Good transition point, esp. if he has never smelled BPAL before.

Or if he likes traditional perfumes.

I hope my first order will have arrived when I next see my (long distance) boyfriend. He's not a scent-wearer, only deodorant, so I wonder if I could talk him into trying some of the least daunting ones like De Sade (can't object to smelling faintly of leather, right?), Black Forest (might work), Calico Jack and Windward Passage (he sails, plus it sounds non-cologney). Maybe Dirty?

I might have to resort to sneakily painting some onto his neck with my finger though..

I have De Sade but haven't taken time to get to know it very well. Black Forest is nice. When I first got it (it was in my first BPAL imp pack) I thought it smelled like cologne. I have had it a few months now and it smells more 'pine' but more like the sap or the needles distilled. I haven't smelled Calico Jack or Windward Passage.

I have Satyr and really like it. It's kind of spicey with a light amber undercurrent so if you are looking for non-cologne that is an option. I also have Western Diamondback and really like that. It's snakey/leatherish with a tiny bit of vanilla. Again, a non-cologne scent.

Good luck and I hope he likes them. :P

I hope my first order will have arrived when I next see my (long distance) boyfriend. He's not a scent-wearer, only deodorant, so I wonder if I could talk him into trying some of the least daunting ones like De Sade (can't object to smelling faintly of leather, right?), Black Forest (might work), Calico Jack and Windward Passage (he sails, plus it sounds non-cologney). Maybe Dirty?

I might have to resort to sneakily painting some onto his neck with my finger though..

I was also going to mention Vicomte De Valmont.

It is at first a bit too much like Lynx deodrant, But when it's dry it's so much nicer...Yum!

Also Casanova was one of the first Bpals I tried and I'm not really a fan of majorly masculine scents (Even though I am a lad). But it was still really really nice.

Scarecrow is probably the nicest of the "masculine" blends I've treid..

Having said all of that, I'll wear anything from Scherezade to Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo!

(That was just my two pennies worth)

*shuffles away surreptitiously*

I read the description of Dee and it sounds absolutely wonderful and perfect for my guy... so it's a surprise (and disappointment) to hear it described as generic cheap cologney. I'll still see if I can find an imp somewhere though...

This is slightly offtopic, though still related to masculine scents - I'm not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, I've only had a quick skim, but... where do guys actually apply Bpal? I mean, I wear mine on my wrists, neck and behind my ears... do guys apply it in similar places?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I have no idea! :P

This is slightly offtopic, though still related to masculine scents - I'm not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, I've only had a quick skim, but... where do guys actually apply Bpal? I mean, I wear mine on my wrists, neck and behind my ears... do guys apply it in similar places?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I have no idea! :P

I usually apply right where my sleeve or neck of shirt ends. That way it's exposed to air but I'm not rubbing my scent everywhere, on objects and/or people. So for long sleeves, wrists or back of hands. Short sleeves, I apply on my inner elbows or even upper arms. As for the neck I usually put it right under my adam's apple, or on the back of my neck just below my hair. Sometimes on the sides of my neck, below the ears.

And if I get it on my fingers I rub the excess in my hair.