Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
samarablackcat

Tiki Princess

A frothy, cold coconut perfume, pure and sweet, with gentle wafts of plumeria, pikake, and ala ala wai nui.

Although it's a "tropicial" kinda scent, it works in the fall too. Very soft like Snow White, but with an edge of coconut. So nice! *huffs wrists*

Tiki Princess

On: Wow. This is so gorgeous. Definitely nice, cold coconut, but with lush, sweet flowers. Nothing overbearing or too-sweet, and definitely not foody.

Half an hour in: This is so ridiculously gorgeous. I'm already thinking I need to hunt down a bottle.

1.5 hours in: No!!! This odd vegetable note I get sometimes I coming forward. I hope it goes away.

2.5 hours in: Hmm...that vegetable note is still there, but I'm still getting nice, powdery coconut, too.

3.5 hours in: Yeah, the coconut and that vegetable note are still duking it out.

5.5 hours in: The vegetable note is pretty much gone, with the tiny bit that is sticking around staying close to my skin. What I'm left with instead is a gorgeous, cool, powdery coconut scent. Lovely.

Overall: Well, I can't say I'm thrilled with what my skin does to this, but I'm hoping that wearing it in a few different places will lesson the vegetable note that I get when it's on my wrists.

Dammit. Plastic coconut. :cry2:

The same plastic coconut scent I get from Snow White and Spooky. The thing is, coconut isn't always bad on me. Sometimes it's just fine. But sometimes it does this dreaded artificial weird plastic thing.

Tiki Princess v3 works on me beautifully. This one doesn't. :(

Unlike snow white..this one did not need any aging for me. No plasticy notes at all. Just soft florals, delicate and feminine, lush and yet lucid. Topped with frothy, creamy coconut milk. This is just fantastic.will be huffing my wrists all night! Medium throw and great wear length. :wub2:

After giving this little beauty a day to settle, I'm ready to review it :D

It's really beautiful. In the bottle I smell sweet, fresh, juicy coconut, with a sweetness I associate with pineapple; I can't really distinguish the florals, but they must be there, supporting the whole scent. This actually smells like a piña colada without the booze! It stays pretty true on my skin. This fades in about three hours, but it's really nice, and I don't mind reapplying or wearing it in my hair to increase the wearlength. Beautiful, beautiful, very summery, fresh, fruity, sweet without being cloying. Wonderful :wub2:

Edited by Deidre

It is the coconut and tiare flower. A tropical scent of summer might be too creamy for my taste, but nice.

I know I shouldn't complain. There are so many lovely BPALs that are perfectly lovely. Tiki Princess is a heartbreaker, though. I amp a piney/juniper-like note, almost to the exclusion of all else. I get the impression of creamy florals, and a creamier coconut--not the coconut that goes overwhelming and sharp. I wish I amped those, not the sharp, cold, junipery bit.

Imagine drinking an ice-cold blended pina colada while relaxing at a fancy Hawaiian resort, without a care in the world. The scent of tropical flowers is carried on the breeze. The coconut note is similar to Obatala, but Obatala is clean and refreshing, while Tiki Princess is sweet and fruity. Really wish I’d picked up a bottle of this. A perfect scent for lazy summer days.

What a curious, layered scent! In the bottle, it smells purely like pine. On first application, there is a heavy scent of the cool coconut from the description. I am getting a little of the skin burning sensation that other users are describing but on me it's more like a tingle- not a dealbreaker. There is something almost marshmallow-ey about this. Somehow the pine scent comes through without smelling entirely like a christmas tree. This is laid-back, dreamy but unfortunately I can't get any of the plumeria whatsoever. This layers beautifully with Thalia (one of my favorites). This is like a minty nymphia.

It really is kinda weird. Like Gin, the pine note in the background ruins this one for me. I wish it worked; the lovely, cold-like coconut with the beautiful flowers and just a bit of indistinct fruit? LOVE. Add a dash of pine and it's all over for me. :(

My goodness I could have sworn that I reviewed this, but nope!

I was so excited for this scent because 1) I love, love, love Hawaii and my heart lives there 2) I love me some coconut scents. Man, was I disappointed in this. Maybe it was the coldness of the scent and I was hoping for something a little sunnier or toasted.

In the bottle it smells amazing- its like a bowl of fruit punch with sun tan lotion and pikaki mixed in. All I can think of is the color white- its bright and fresh and SO juicy smelling.

On, it doesn't morph much at all (a big bummer to me, I like my morphers), but the florals come a bit more forward and it turns soapy on me. Not powdery, but soapy, like a "tropical" scented laundry detergent. Clean, slightly sweet and sometimes sharply floral. Not my cup of tea at all, it just didn't have enough depth to work.

This was the first bottle of BPAL that I bought for myself. I had enough money to spring for either Tiki Princess or Yvaine. I chose Tiki Princess because, I reasoned, Yvaine wasn't going anywhere. Right? It is this sort of hubris which brings Murphy's Law into action- Yvaine was taken down within a month of my order, and Tiki Princess didn't work for me at all. Bummer.

In the bottle: High-pitched, sour, plastic-y sort of scent. I know pineapple's not listed as a note, but to me it smells for all the world like fake pineapple and fake coconut (maybe part of it's the pine-y smell others have been getting?). I was hoping it would mellow out on the skin.

Wet: The plastic smell becomes a saw against my nasal passages. It's all fake coconut and pineapple.

Dry: As the scent dries, I get a hint of coolness if I sniff hard. It's difficult to get past the plastic, though.

Later: The later stage of the drydown is less obnoxious, but still kind of disappointing. The sourness recedes, and a sort of... flat, dusty milkiness takes its place. There may be some flowers showing, too. It's... okay. But it's not nearly the sweet creamy scent I was hoping for. I just hope all the lab's coconut notes don't do this on me. :(

Off to swaps with this one.

In the Vial: Reminds me of Obatala right off the bat - milky coconut with a hint of something fresh and floral, and almost fruity. I wasn't expecting a milk note, and since milk notes absolutely do not work for me, I'm a little disappointed to find one here.

Wet: The florals really start to come out on my skin, backed by the coconut to keep it smelling tropical. Thankfully, the phantom milk note seems to have receeded. The description calls this cold, but it's warm to my nose.

Dry: Eh. More floral than coconutty now. Still tropical. It's pretty, but it smells a bit plasticky, I'm guessing from whatever created the phantom milk note.

An Hour Later: Pretty much the same, maybe a little sweeter. It's gotten fairly faint, too.

Overall: Too much floral and not enough coconut for me. I believe I shall be swapping the princess away.

ETA: Oh oh oh, reading the above reviewer's mention of pineapple made me realize what this smells like - Glade's Hawaiian Breeze air freshener, which has always smelled a little fakey to me.

Edited by imaginepageant

This has a cool tropical feel in the vial. Predominantly coconut with wafts of flowers. On me, it's pretty much the same, although for the first while, it smells a bit soapy, but in an ok way. It eventually dries down to a coconut with a touch of tropical flowers and loses some of that soapiness. I never got any Snow White-like wafts from this one but it wasn't until my mom got me to smell it on her and it goes SW on her. It's not my favourite coconut blend but I still really like it and love wearing this during the summer.

If I didn't know I was testing Tiki Princess, I would swear I had Snow White on my wrists. This is not a warm, creamy coconut, but a cool, aquatic one with an almost minty undertone. Nice, but not what I was expecting. If you like Obatala and/or Snow White, this will be a winner.

In Vial, cool coconutty floral.

Wet, Cooling tropical floral sweet coconut the mint feels sooo cold.

Dry, cool coconut with soft flowers. This is sooo pretty! It reminds me of snow white but better. Snow white for some reason failed on me. This is just tropical enough to be awesome for summer but not too tropical that I think it would be weird to wear in the spring and fall. I could get away with it in winter but the mint makes it feel really cold. I love it. :wub2:

Edited by cosmoblue

Very realistic plumeria with a bit of cool coconut edge.

I had the opportunity to try this scent in an amazing LE/DC swap (thanks!)

Love, love, love it.

There's something kind of minty/herbal and a bit masculine that gives it the cold vibe. But it's just the barest hint. Otherwise, this is exactly as described. The coconut is light, refreshing, watery, and frothy. Not in the least like suntan lotion. Much more along the lines of a really good Piña Colada. And the island flowers float through the scent as if on a breeze.

Now, I REALLY want a bottle (or 4) and I have a new Holy Grail scent. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :eek:

Bottom line, if you have the slightest interest in coconut, or even think you might, don't hesitate to buy it.

Edited by ih8perfume

Watery, sugared coconut with a small breath of tropical floral in the background. I love coconut, so I really enjoy this. Very pretty and girly, not overly gourmand.

ETA: I have fallen in love with this. It is beautiful!

Edited by MiasmaResonance

I bust out Tiki Princess every summer because it smells like being on vacation somewhere warm and beautiful (maybe I should wear it in the winter as well?!). It reminds me of a welcome drink that Hawaiian hotels sometimes give to guests when they first arrive, plus the smell of flowers wafting on the breeze. So summery and fun. Once it dries down, I smell mostly the white coconut which is truly cold and frothy, plus white flowers and an underpinning of something that smells a bit like shea. It does remind me a bit of Obatala, but Tiki Princess is sweeter and floral. It's beautiful and lighthearted in equal measure.

This has been my favorite scent this summer. It really does have a "cold" vibe to it, but without being minty. Coconutty, tropical drink goodness!

I am such a coconut whore, I just had to have this. Even though I already have 9 coconut-dominant BPALs, and maybe 6 more with coconut as a main component. It's a problem, I recognize that.

Wet: Very tropical! Lots of tropical flowers, and of course, coconut! This is quite sweet, and really different than any of my other coconut scents, which makes me really happy, as I can justify having it in my collection. This is a really bright perfume, and I keep having to check the notes to make sure there is no citrus or pineapple or something else fruity listed. This smells like a frothy tropical cocktail, and I freakin love it. It smells like vacation. Drinks by the pool! A day at the beach! Happiness!!!

Dry: The same. Tropical coconut. Love it, and will wear it so much this summer (and every summer, until I run out of it and weep pathetically).

I'm testing an aged decant of unknown age, light amber in colour. 
Tiki Princess is sweet coconut with its mix of florals that I'm not familiar with. It's creamy but a tad cloying, even for this foodie. I generally like sweet scents but am not too familiar with coconut bases, and this one just seems to shout sugar and coconut on me. 
Medium throw, long wear