Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

RED TIDE
Raspberry liquor, cranberry juice, gin, mango pulp, and a mint garnish.

Raspberry liquor is strongest note. I also smell the cranberry shortly after application. This is not terribly boozy on me, especially compared to other Luau scents.

I'm getting the raspberry, the cranberry, and the gin first and foremost in the bottle, here. On my skin, it's a touch of raspberry and GIN!!!, which is really TOILET CLEANER!!! for me. Urgh. Gonna give the gin a chance to go bye bye, but it's prolly not gonna happen. Ends up being faint raspberry and lotsa gin. Yeah. Not quite for me.

Edited by Venneh

Wet, the raspberry and cranberry were the most prominent notes, but they unfortunately faded sort of fast. The cranberry had me thinking "mmm, cosmo" at first, and reminded me of Velvet Pink Kitty and The Hamptons.

Although I like the gin note, in general, it took over more in this blend than it usually does, and I spent most of the drydown hoping the raspberries would come back.

For mint haters, I got absolutely no mint.

Wet, this is all perfume-y, headache-inducing, sweet-tart cranberry. It eventually mellows into something *very* similar to Swank, which is nice, but that initial phase is so painful I don't know that I will ever wear this again. Pity.

Mostly cranberry gin (not that that's a bad thing); this is very much like The Hamptons, but a little sweeter and fruitier with the raspberry note mixing in there. The gin is crisp and refreshing, and it's a little more tart than The Hamptons was on my skin. Might be a keeper; I'll need to test this further to be sure.

Hmm. Cranberry's acting the same as pomegranate.. turns a little sour on me. I like it, but it doesn't like me back. Raspberry liquor is fighting through but the mint and cranberry is keeping this tart instead of fleshy.

Smelling this in the bottle, it's like a sweet, more fruit punchy version of The Hamptons.

On my skin... Red Tide is like a teen version of The Hamptons (which isn't a bad thing at all). While The Hamptons is more posh and grownup, this is the spiked punch version at the local high school. Sweeter, with less juniper-y gin, and with more of a red hawaiian punch thing going for it. It's not quite as sweet, silly, tart, or punch-like as Spiked Punch is on me, though.

Tart cranberry, sweet, juicy raspberry, and a frosty, refreshing, slightly fizzy edge from the gin and mint. I actually like this quite a lot, and I find it more wearable than The Hamptons and Spiked Punch.

This might be my favorite of the new Luau scents, with Polynesian Pop as a close second, or maybe tied for favorite (as Polynesian Pop is more unique of the two).

Smells very B&BW to me, or like that jelly raspberry soap I once had. It's not bad, but it's impossible to separate it from that image. Throw of about two inches

derp speliing

Edited by yokaitenchi

imp: cranberry and gin. i love gin and this does not disappoint and a lovely gin scent.

wet: this has a very nice gin bite to it as it hits my skin, very realistic. not getting anything close to mango or mint, it's gin and cranberry with a dash of raspberry.

dry: bright cranberry and gin with the occasional hint of raspberry. this reminds me of the hamptons once dry, but it's a bit more sharp, more boozy rather than a refined alcohol.

Is that gin? I don't know what gin smells like, but I guess it could be. What I smell is ginger ale but with an alcoholic burn. Oh, and tart cranberry.

On my skin, Red Tide is reminiscent of that cranberry/snow scent you can usually find sold in winter. The alcohol quickly burns off as it dries. I can't pick out the mint, but I guess it's contributing to the overall feel of the blend. The raspberry and cranberry are intertwined and the mango complements them nicely, when I can smell it. Mostly the red fruits stand out.

This is actually good on me, although I don't know if I could get past the "Christmassy cranberry fragrance spray" thing. It will make a good room scent for winter if I can't, ha.

Edited by karen

Wow, I LOVE this.

Imp: Red berries! Smells very much like scents my favourite bath and body etailers come out with around the holidays. Cranberry is definitely taking the spotlight here. A very juicy scent, which is great for summer.

There's something slightly metallic close to the skin, which must be the gin.

Nothing remotely minty or cool here, but this is my favourite from the Lounge.

I love this too!! Cranberry and raspberry with hints of fizzy gin and blasts of cooling mint. It's sweet, fresh, and tart and somehow the mango pulp adds a creaminess in the drydown stage. :wub2:

The fizziness of the gin in this one reminds me to Polynesian pop, except with a hint of more juniper. I get splashes of cranberry and raspberry. It's basically fruity gin, and part of me is really kinda digging it.

The other part of me is worried that I'll get accused of drinking at work.

Hawaiian Punch with gin and soda water.

this reminds me of a RED Blue Fire.

RED FIRE!

Ahhhhhh! YUUMMMM!!! :wub2:

Mostly getting raspberry liquor and cranberry. Whoever poured the gin into this seems to be pouring a bit light, and their bar is suffering from the same problem as mine: no mint. Still, definitely contemplating more of this... as long as I'm gonna smell like booze at work, might as well smell like delicious booze!

Good for wearing: During a Wednesday Hump Day Happy Hour shift.

In the imp: A nice fruity, juicy scent

Wet on skin: Fresh, red, juicy fruits with the barest hint of liquor under it all. I expect an umbrella to be poking out of the imp.

Dry: The liquor comes out a bit more, and the fruit isn't as sweet as it was, but it's still there, still red, and still drinkable.

Overall: I really like the freshness of this scent. It's fun, kind of cool, and even something I want to drink!

This one isn't boozy on me at all either. Before I even looked at the notes, it definitely smelled RED to me from the imp but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Once I put it on my skin it was delicious berries and something else in the background.. Once I looked at the notes it hit me... raspberry/cranberry and mango!

This is fruit-sweet and delicious. I get no mint from this at all, and I can't pick out any gin (and I like how gin smells but I'm not sure I'd enjoy smelling like booze) so this is a complete WIN for me and I will likely buy a bottle later on.

The throw was medium and it lasted the entire day through. Mmmm

Red Tide - I love this. It's predominantly cranberry and gin, with a little sweetness of sun-ripened raspberries, and I absolutely love the bite the fresh mint adds to the blend -- it's not peppermint oil, it's the scent of mint clipped fresh from the plant. I don't smell the mango at all. Overall, it's a lovely red gin scent, fairly subtle, and fades pretty quickly on me. Still, I can't resist a good gin scent, so I think this is going to go on my list of bottles I'd like to buy.

The alcohol note in Red Tide is virtually identical to that in Grand Guignol. In addition, I get mostly cranberry and raspberry with just a hint of mango - not enough to be recognizable but enough to make the scent a bit warmer and juicier - and no mint. The combination of these fruits and this booze note makes this smell like fizzy fresh-pressed fruit juice. Yum! This isn't really my style but I quite like it and I'll be keeping the imp.

Red Tide is kind of a red version of Blue Fire. I get red fruit and fizzy gin. The red fruit fades quickly and leaves me with just fizzy gin. I wish the fruit was louder and lasted longer.

Ahhhh! I just saw the update that the luau lounge is coming down! So I have to test the Luau imps I have to make sure I don't need to throw in a last minute order!

I am very excited to test this one-the only not in here i'm not a huge fan of is gin, but I can take it in small amounts.

In the imp this is fizzy, fruity gin. Definitely get sweet raspberry and a touch of mango.

Yeah, on me this is a VERY sweet syrupy raspberry + gin scent. The gin definitely gives it a fizzy feeling.

Ok, thankfully I will not need to be making a last minute purchase of this. I'm just...not a huge fan of gin and half of this blend is definitely gin to me. Dried to a sort of powdery raspberry gin blend. Lost a bit of that fizziness it had at the beginning. Was yummy though, and a fun blend. It sill be sad to see this line go :cry2:

I agree that this is similar to blue fire. There is something in this that turns a little windex-y on me but I do enjoy it anyway. It has a fun, boozey/fruity feeling to it. I wouldn't wear this out but it's fun around the house. I can see this being quite captivating on someone else whose skin doesn't do the weird cleaning chemical smell.

In the bottle: the raspberry leaps out of the bottle immediately, and it's decidedly a raspberry liquor rather than just raspberry. raspberry and gin make an interestingly refreshing combination. mango is in the background, being its sweet and very tropical fruity self.

On my skin: raspberry(!) and gin again. maybe a hint of cranberry juice's bite, but it's minimal. the mango is still in the background and that's where it stays. bit of a minty after-scent, but maybe that's from the gin. it goes progressively more towards the gin/juniper as it dries, making it refreshing rather than fruity.

Last thoughts: the raspberry liquor and juniper-ness of the gin make for an interesting and actually pretty ok combination, but it's more like a house scent spray than a perfume (at least for me). don't hate it nearly as much as the others I've tried from this collection, but I'm still unable to wear it without gagging a little.

Edited by frecklestars

In the imp: Getting a hint of all the notes--certainly boozey.

Wet: Lots of mint, but with a sweet kick from the raspberry and the mango.

The dry-down: As this dries, the raspberry liquor becomes more obvious. The mint is still there, but mostly lurking underneath to keep this from being too fruity and too sweet. The cranberry should be tart and doing the same thing, but I think it's been somewhat smothered by the mango. Not a whole lot of gin/juniper is ever present. As a cocktail, this would make my mouth pucker up a bit. :) And not so boozey now.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :wub2:

Preconceived notions:

Fruity blends aren't generally my thing and neither are bright, summery scents, but I've been curious about the Atomic Luau scents. So far I've tried a few and none have appealed to me, but Red Tide is a little more promising than most. I've been waffling on ordering an imp to try and couldn't seem to justify doing it. Luckily, the Lab sent one my way as lagniappe with one of my orders.

I like raspberry, cranberry and mango, although they aren't necessarily things I want to smell like (raspberry would be the exception if it was black raspberry instead of red). Gin is the most worrying note because I find the smell of it really unpleasant and astringent.

First sniff:

Whoo, that is one red scent. It's bright, almost garish, which is an adjective I've never considered describing a scent with before. This is in-your-face red. Lots of bright, tart raspberry and cranberry and something boozy underneath. It has that tropical cocktail sort of thing going on and it makes me think of a drink that you'd buy at some over-priced tourist-marketed beach bar.

This definitely lives up to the concept, but it's not doing much of anything for me. :(

Wet on skin:

Raspberry Kool Aid. For serious. The booziness and the incredible tartness has disappeared and I've got raspberry Kool Aid on my arm. It's slightly sweet but still intensely colorful smelling. This smells like summer, but in a whole different way than it did before. It's gone from beach bar to kid's birthday party. :lol:

Dry down:

Still raspberry Kool Aid, but with some chunks of actual fruit floating in it, like a kiddie version of sangria. I don't get any mint at all and the gin disappears somewhere between the imp and my skin, which is good, but it wouldn't really matter if it did because this isn't really something I see myself wearing.

The bottom line:

Red Tide is a fun scent, but not for me (in the imp or on my skin). I'm glad I got to try it before the Atomic Luau scents rode off into the sunset, though.