Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

PAHOEHOE
Grenadine, banana, and coconut rum.

All banana, all the time. In the bottle, on my arm wet, and then the dry-down. I don't want to smell like a banana. Where the other two notes went to, I have no idea.

In bottle: They are not kidding about the banana. It’s pretty overwhelming. Wet: Still strongly banana dominant, but I’m getting the grenadine and rum now. The coconut is extremely faint. It’s very summery and upbeat. Dry: The drydown is a bit troublesome. It’s a touch too sweet and the banana breaks down a bit. My natural musk overwhelms the more delicate elements and the result is bland and just subtly not quite right. It needs more testing, but I’m not sanguine.

If you love Banana, this is the scent for you! This is strong boozy banana on me with just a sprinkling of coconut. My only complaint with this is that it fades on my skin rather quickly. Less than 2 hours after application and it's all gone.

Grenadine, banana, and coconut. Fairly straightforward. But will most likely fail awfully. Light application. BANANA AND COCONUT, AND NAUSEATION. (Hate banana. So much.) Need get off nao.

Banana never seems to play well with others...it jumps all over the other notes in a blend and then vanishes completely, in my experience. Pahoehoe is crazy strong banana when wet (my mind was yelling "GO BANANA" in a Ralph Wiggum-esque manner) and it's a stale, old banana smell, not like the banana candy of Manila. Very bleah. But on the drydown, this blend improves; the coconut comes out and a bit of boozy sweetness from the grenadine. And the banana's mostly gone, leaving just a fruity trace.

This is not something I'd want to smell like...but it's interesting once it dries!

I love banana, (Splatter Comedy is a favourite), and I was hoping for a lot in this blend. It does start off banana and a hint of coconut, but then the grenadine and rum take over quickly. Its also VERY sweet, more than I expected, but I don't dislike it. I'll let it age up a bit to see if it becomes more balanced (and banana-y!)

Whoa. GRENADINE! and banana with a sprinkle of coconut. This makes my teeth hurt and I want to drink my arm.

Surprisingly, I love this rummy banana. I get the feeling it will be a good layering note giving an unexpected twist and more interest to other earthy or fruity blends.

Big bright ripe banana when wet; but then it dries into something *very* perfume-y. I don't get any grenadine or rum.

Splatter Comedy is one of my favorite scents, but this blend makes me feel kinda sick. The banana smells similar to Splatter Comedy in the vial, but the other notes don't seem to soften it in this blend. It's slightly powdery, artificial, banana hard candies with a slightly spicy, plastic-y, boozy undertone and a really perfumey, almost smoky sharpness.

Much like Aremata-Popoa, this just smells so strongly chemical-y to me and it gives me a headache. Artificial banana flavoring and markers with a splash of really bad booze and melted plastic? Blech. :ack:

BANANA soaked in grenadine--a lot like the dessert we made. As it dries, switches over to coconut rum entirely. Oh dear, something just turned into crap--need to wash off. This is a really strange, random occurrence.

Fresh banana when wet. As it dries, the banana fades and it begins to smell different. I don't smell any of the other notes, but I can't put my finger on what it smells like. Whatever it is, it's not for me.

imp: banana and coconut. this smells yummy and i've already decided that i will be buying a bottle of this scent.

wet: glorious! this is what creepy would be like if it had banana instead of apple. the grenadine is faint but every once in a while i catch a distinct whiff of it and it's beautiful.

dry: this is very sweet grenadine over a rich banana-coconut scent once dry. this morphs quite a bit but i love every phase and can't wait to get a bottle so i can wear this as often as the mood strikes me.

I do smell banana candy in Pahoehoe, but only when it's in the imp and super-fresh on my skin. It reminds me of banana Runts, but there's something else, something boozy . . . maybe Runts soaked in liquor.

As it's drying it reminds me of Sugar Skull 2005 (I haven't smelled any other years' SS, that's why I'm being specific) -- the toasted boozy sugar is similar to my nose, but this blend has that sweet banana behind it, although it is much, MUCH quieter than it was in the beginning, and it smells less like candy once it starts drying. There's a little bit of something else giving it body, too, fruity in a different way than the banana is.

Unfortunately, by the time it's completely dry, it's almost invisible. This seems to be a trend with the Luau scents. I sort of expected it based on the notes in most of them, though.

Edited by karen

:yum: Now this is a tiki I can get behind. Coconut and banana's with a smattering of grenadine and just a hint of rum. It's sweet, full of banana and makes me want to drink!!

Banana and coconut rum. Not my favorite combination. If you like banana, and Malibu, this is the tropical treat for you.

Disclaimer: unlike ZZ, I am a HUGE Malibu Rum fan. It's head to head with Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur as my poison of choice, so take my review with a couple grains of salt (in your margarita) if you will. ;)

Boozy banana WIN. This is just as delicious as I expected it to be. I don't get too much grenadine; there really isn't a "red" feel to this scnet at all, maybe just a slight tang from that. It's pretty much equal parts creamy banana and a heady shot of coconut rum. Though it does smell very boozy in the bottle and initially in the wet stage, most of the booziness of the rum dissipates, leaving an equally sweet and creamy coconut to blend with the banana and making me want to chew my arm off.

Edited by Invidiana

WHOA banana in the bottle big time. I didn't think I would even attempt to put it on since I detest anything that is artificial banana tasting or smelling.

Surprisingly, the banana went away rather quickly on me and freshened up- it became pretty light, sweet, almost refreshing? Not sure if I would wear it, but its one of those quick evolving scents, which is way fun.

The Lab in their infinite wisdom scent me this as a frimp. I'm not really a tiki person since a lot of them contain booze notes and those don't usually do well on me. But Pahoehoe is a lot of fun and I would consider getting a bottle of it if the banana lasted longer on me. The banana in this is not realistic nor do I think it's meant to be. It's super sweet and creamy with a sugary edge - I was instantly reminded of Banana Laffy Taffy, one of my favorite candies. Unfortunately it fades pretty quickly, leaving behind a background of fruity rum. This is such a yummy blend. It's not the most sophisticated thing ever, but I don't think perfume always has to be SERIOUS BUSINESS. Pahoehoe made me smile and that's good enough for me.

4/5

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

In the bottle it really smells like those banana runts candy!

On the skin the coconut part reaaaaaally takes over. Wow, that is sweet coconut! Kinda too sweet really. Wow, now it is pretty much only coconut rum on me.

Eeep! I am afraid that coconut and I just don't play well together!

In the bottle the rum is very strong and overpowering. On the skin the bananas come out. But I don't smell fresh bananas, I smell gooey caramelized bananas. It smells like an expensive dessert with cooked bananas and a rum flambé. Delicious.

ETA: Bananas Foster is the dessert I was thinking of.

Edited by Altaira

Boozy fruit! Much better than I would have thought, the grenadine is coming up strawberry. It's a sweet candy scent, although I'm not as crazy about the banana undertone.

Pahoehoe - Ooh, banana! And coconut! And rum! And even a bit of sweet grenadine! It dries down to a predominantly banana scent. I love this. I'm not sure if I want to wear it as a perfume because I don't really like banana as perfume, but if it were a drink in front of me, it would already be gone. I really like it.

Hmmm.. when I first put this on, it was quite peppery - almost spicy - the rum was very much in full force. However, within less than ten minutes that faded away and left a much more subtle and soft rum scent behind.. and out came the banana and coconut! I can actually smell the grenadine as well.

So this is pretty much what it says on the box - grenadine and banana, coconut and rum. It smells like a cocktail, as you'd expect. It smells yummy. It's the same kind of rum I get in Rangoon Riptide from the old Atomic Luau Lounge series. The uber banana-ness of the fragrance fades out after about 20 minutes on my skin, leaving behind a kind of alcohol/fruit fragrance with a tinge of coconut.. but the coconut never takes over, which it sometimes does on my skin - it's soft here, almost hardly noticeable.

I really love rum in my BPALs when it's partnered up with more 'dark' notes, but with sweet things like banana.. not so much. Ultimately I'm left with a sort of soft and creamy liqueur banana smell, which in itself is kind of delicious - but as a perfume, not something I can see myself wearing. I actually prefer the sweet creamy tropical-ness of Mahana (which I could have sworn has banana in it!) to this - the rum just seems out of place here in Pahoehoe. But it really is yummy!