Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blackberry brandy, Castillo rum, ouzo, and iced black tea.

Definite blackberry! The rum is there, too, sweet and foody.

Aremata-Popoa - Blackberry usually tends to turn sour on me, but not always, so I was hoping this one would be an awesome tropical blackberry blend. It actually is! It's a little on the bitter side, but I think that's from the black tea more than the blackberry in this case. The brandy is the strongest of the booze notes. Overall, the impression is of a cocktail that is sweet and tasty without being a frou-frou girly drink. Very delicious and I'm tempted to get a bottle.

Ooo! Got this as a frimp from the lab and am SO excited to try it! Sounds so yummy (I need to try mixing this as a real drink! :twisted:)

Definitely a booze blackberry/black tea scent in the imp. The ouzo is not too strong. This is way yum- Not sure how it will be on my skin tho...

Yum-on my skin, this really smells like what it sounds like-blackberry booze, a touch of rum (NOT super strong rum, like in Upa Upa) and black iced tea. Just a touch of ouzo, as I mentioned before. Not super sugary sickly sweet. Almost has a dry feeling to it.

This was pleasant and nice-not overwhelmingly boozy, nice not too sweet blackberry scent, lovely black ice tea note...I enjoyed testing this a lot. I don't think I would wear it (it also faded very fast on me) but it's a lovely blend and I am dead serious about trying to mix this as a real drink one day!

Edited by Suu4LC

I get brandy and blackberry and a hint of tea on this. I basically got myself an imp pack of all the Luau scents but this is the first I've tried. However, I think all the rest will have to measure up to this one. I want to drink this right now, it smells so good! I've only had it on a short while so I may come back and add some notes to this review. :)

Yummy Blackberry jam - a bit of booze, but not much which is wonderful for me. :) Dry there is a bit of black tea which is also delightful. Good stuff...I will be glad to get a bottle! :) 4/5

Hm. I like blackberry, rum, and tea, but they don't seem to work so well together here. I get a lot of tea and brandy, and maybe some ouzo, but not a lot of the blackberry which is what I was really looking for. :huh?:

Edited by Gin

I think I kinda like the blackberry and rum combination, but it's hard to tell because the ouzo stomps all over it. :(
Unfortunately it goes to a chalky licorice scent on me.

4 July 2015 ETA:

I tried this one again, just in case, before banishing it to the swap box forever, and yeah, it's still chalky weird on me. Like that powder that gets on your hands when you eat sweet tarts.

Edited by filigree_shadow

I was initially terrified of the Ouzo in this--being Greek I've been exposed to that nasty stuff one too many times. In real life I honestly think Ouzo smells like nail polish remover infused with licorice. However, there is only the slightest suggestion of anise liquor (no nail polish remover overtones at all but more in the realm of an absinthe note) on my skin, which only adds a unique twist to the delicious blackberry rum I get instead. I think that along with the Ouzo note the black tea keeps it from getting too sweet. Overall it's a wonderfully sticky boozy blackberry and I'm so glad to have a bottle.

Edited by Invidiana

In the imp: Very strong blackberry brandy, and rum.

Wet: Blackberry, rum and ouzo. :S

Dry: Okay.. No more ouzo. Phew! Wahey, the black iced tea note comes alive. Berry with a bit of rum. It's very nice, but not something I'd wear often, as I'm not fond of smelling like booze. But it's something I'd love to drink. :P

I was frimped this from a generous seller.

Wet: fruity, boozy, tart-sweet tropical drink, the kind they serve in an enormous fishbowl-size glass with several straws for you and five friends to enjoy. The booze quickly burns off, and it goes through a brief intoxicating phase like the green fruity joy that was the Prescriptives fragrance Calyx. It doesn't settle there, I'm sorry to say. But it's close. I might try to layer it with some exotic green creamy floral, to get the Calyx memory back. Further drying reveals a woody, but still green-grounded scent, which I'm guessing must be the tea, and now it's reminding me of an old boyfriend, who drank blackberry flavored black tea with milk and sugar every morning in a pint glass, leaving the bags to steep for hours while he smoked weed and played computer games (ah, I loved him madly once). I will definitely use up and enjoy this imp, and I'm so glad I had a chance to try it.

I recently received this as a frimp from the lab (...huh).

In the imp: Berries and licorice

On: Initially a STRONG blast of berry, tending towards over-ripe. After dry-down, the ouzo reasserts itself with a vengeance, and I smell like black licorice. I LIKE black licorice. I don't like SMELLING like it too much, though.

Later: This has no staying power on me - an hour at most, and it's gone.

I don't think this is for me.

Got this 3/4 imp from another seller.

In the imp: Wow, the alcohol is really overpowering. Yet I can't stop getting a whiff of it. The tang of fruit keeps me going back.

Wet: It's very faint, and there's a hint of booze. Applied it twice cause I wasn't sure I did it right the first time.

10 minutes later: The alcohol is going away and there's the hint of tea!

1 hour later: Hello black tea and welcome back alcohol. I'm thinking two people in a dingy tavern with one drinking tea and the other a shot of rum. It's a pleasant enough image.

3 hours later: All gone. :( There isn't even the hint of it anymore.

Would probably give this another go during a different time of my cycle. It's my first Luau scent, and I'm glad at least it reminds me of pleasant times.

First on: blackberry, plastic, and metal, which is surprisingly yummy.

Drydown: fizzy blackberry.

Far drydown: blackberry and, to my nose, red musk. Pretty nice.

I love the smell of booze, but got none from this blend.

In the imp: Boozy cherry. I know it says blackberry, but it smells more like cherry to me...

On skin: More boozy cherry. I was hoping for an anise/licorice note, from the ouzo (which, being Mediterranean, my dad drinks often, and I sometimes mooch - it's good stuff) but I'm pretty much getting straight up boozy cherry. :( I think I'm getting a bit of tea as it dries. It eventually turns a bit more blackberry-like, but still no ouzo. I wouldn't mind drinking this, but I don't think I really want to smell like it...

ETA that this goes weird on my skin once dry. I'm getting what seems floral in here... like some cheap blackberry/floral body spray. x.x

Edited by sunlitgarden

In Imp, fruity rum with something more. Wet, very berry and slightly spicy and alcoholy. Dry, a fruity candy with a slight hint of the ouzo.

I finally understand what people mean when they say a scent is 'boozy'. This had a distinct alcoholic spin like some sort of dark sugar rum. There was a fruity undertone but no tea for me unfortunately. I was pop-y and nice but not something I'd want to wear everyday. Certainly interesting as a novel scent.

Colour association: Dark Brown Sugar.

Word for the scent: Booze.

This started off with a very realistic rum note, sugary and alcoholic, with just a hint of blackberry underneath. For a while it seemed like the blackberry was going to stay fairly true, but once the sweet brandy came to the fore, it turned into a more generic candied fruit note. After complete drydown, I am left with... fruitcake, paired with a glass of sweet iced tea to wash it down.

Not unpleasant by any means, but a good reminder that alcohol notes end up turning most anything into a novelty scent on my skin.

In the imp - Holy crap, it’s blackberry rum!

Wet - Blackberry brandy and rum, through and through. I do get a little tea, and I can detect some ouzo too, but maybe that’s just because I’m so familiar with real-life ouzo.

Drydown - It’s a linear blend that fades very quickly on me. Gosh, my skin chemistry is turning this almost aquatic. A fruity aquatic, but aquatic nonetheless. Curious.

Verdict - This is such a fun scent! No idea where I’ll wear it, but I see myself hanging on to it for a while!

Aremata-Popoa imp

Wet/Bottle - RUM PUNCH IN THE FACE. It's so overwhelming, I don't really smell much else, maybe a little blackberry.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - The strong rum and Ouzo make this smell like drying paint primer - slightly noxious.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Pretty sure this is paint primer.

No. Just, no.

I love blackberry, love rum, love tea, excited to try this!

Wet: Mmm. The tea and the blackberry are duking it out for dominance on my arm. The sugary rum is right behind. Very fun! Fruity and tropical.

Dry: Sadly, this turns sickly candy-sweet, then goes somewhat dusty, and then just fades away completely. What a shame, it smells amazing in the bottle and when wet! Skin fail. :( I'll have to rehome this to someone who will love it.

Imp: SUPER Tart. You know the Sweet-tart chewy candy brand? Yeah, one of those just chomped into.

Wet: YUP. Chewy Sweetarts

Dry on Skin: Ok I'm getting redundant.

If i really huff at my arm I can pull the notes apart from the scent. But, yeah this is the Chewy Sweetart scent to end all sweetart scents. Don't get me wrong, it smells awesome. Fizzy, fruity, edible. But Man this is so perfectly sweetart.

I'm not sure whether it's skin chemistry or decant age, or my nose, or something else...but what ends up being primary on me is the ouzo note, that anise/licorice/sweet, limned with boozy lightness (rum is that you?), rooted by something vaguely fruity that grows stronger as it dries down. Tea? What tea?

I love blackberries. Blackberry pie may just be my favorite food. I keep looking for the perfect BPAL blackberry. Maybe I have to reconcile myself to the fact that blackberry is never going to work on me. Aremata-Popoa sounds like a freaking delicious cocktail, but it's a disaster when it hits my skin. Artificial berry booze. Like Frankenberry cereal doused with rum. And no ouzo -- I really like anise, too! Drydown is more pleasant, but I can't get past the wet phase.