Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
raisin

Fledgling Raptor Moon

Warm, soft tufts of down and gleaming tawny feathers: clove, toasted sandalwood, aged patchouli, bourbon vanilla, carnation, massoia bark, hinoki wood, and West Indian Bay.

[i tested this in 2010, but never posted my notes.]

I suspect this is one where my preconceptions of what it should be are affecting my perceptions of what it is. I wanted to love it - the concept is lovely, and resonates strongly with me.

This starts out as living tree (the bay, I think?) and turns into dry woods - mostly sandalwood and clove - on my skin. A touch of the vanilla peeks through intermittently to undercut the sense of Hippie Shop, but little more. It smells like a pile of aromatic woods waiting to be set on fire for aromatic smoke, basically. :huh?:

I like it after several hours, when it's a whisper of dry sandalwood-topped woodyness, and if it smelt that way for the first few hours I'd probably have been swayed enough to get it. None of the feathery softness that other people get made it to me, and that's sad since that's basically what I was looking for.

I wanted it to be better than it is because I'm fond of the concept, and that makes it hard to just conclude that it's not for me. That, however, is the inevitable conclusion. Alas.

Wow, I don't know if it's the fact that I'm like 75% sure this has been aged a bit, or if I just SERIOUSLY amp vanilla, but this surprised the hell out of me!

In the bottle: *not* what I expected, although I realize I was being a little silly; sandalwood is listed as one of the first notes, and justly so, because it's more or less ALL I smell in the bottle. Toasty, dry, powdery sandalwood! I hate powder notes, but I refuse to give up on this. Besides, it's sandalwood; I amp the hell out of it, but it usually becomes either smokey or sweet on me. What could go wrong?

Wet: Wow. Super Powder comes in with a vengeance, but is quickly subdued by the clove. I'm starting to think this bottle is chock-full of notes I just amp considerably, because here comes Patch, AND the carnation, which I didn't realize likes me a LOT. Initially there is absolutely *no* hints of vanilla, which is disappointing; I was hoping that it would be much creamier than it is.

20 minutes later: Ah-HA! THERE you are, sweet, sweet bourbon vanilla; this is more what I was expecting. The sandalwood is still strong, but has mellowed and sweetened slightly; the clove and patch give it an earthy, spicy feel. I'm absolutely infatuated with this scent, and so glad I ended up getting a 5ml instead of half a bottle like I was thinking. I could drown myself in this scent; I can *kinda* see feathery, but for me it's like burning sweet incense in the middle of a forest in autumn. The carnation peeks out here and there to lift the other notes and accentuate the sweetness of the vanilla. I'm surprised at how much the vanilla is showing as this dries; towards the end of the hour, it really commands attention, and you would've *never* expected it from just sniffing the bottle.

5/5, easily one of my new favorites. Not as sweet and beloved as Voodoo (which I'd give a 7/5, despite the improper fraction it's downright addictive and is like turning the volume up to 11), but incredibly enchanting.

Edited by White_rabbit334

I think I'm nuts because this one was celery, celery, and more celery on me. I tried it probably four times hoping it would get better but it never did. I even reread th notes list and looked for them but I couldn't find anything but celery. :huh?:

This was in one of my very first orders from the Lab and it was too...everything. Dark, musty, strong, unexpected - you name it, I didn't like it. I had a very visceral, negative reaction to this one. I've even tried to sell it a few times to no avail.

Fast forward six years...my nose has matured a bit and I think this one has settled down into a more mature, cohesive scent.

I got carnation in a dark wooden vase, handed to me by a man wearing the tiniest bit of bay cologne. As it fades away, I finally smell the hint of clove. It's warm and perfect for this cool spring that we're having today and I think it will be even more lovely in the last few hot days of summer.

Now I'm glad I kept it and sad I didn't keep some of those first bottles that I was sure were just all wrong for me, as I suspect there are some others that also aged beautifully.

I have been eyeing this up for a while. Years ago, the lunacies tended to not work with my skin chemistry, but lately I have had better luck, with both new and old lunacies.

Wet: Oh. That's not....hmmm. What am I smelling? Not anything I expected!! That's gotta be the bay, because it's not woody and it's none of the other notes, all of which I am quite familiar. Hmmm. Really herbal. It smells like...salad oil. Oh noes!

Dry: Well, apparently my skin amps bay, which I didn't know until now. That's literally all I can smell once this hits my skin. None of the other lovely notes that I can pick out in the bottle. Boo, skin!! Also turns out I don't much like bay, so off to the swap pile, sadly. :( I really wanted to love this.

I considered buying this back when it came out but ultimately passed because I was unsure of so many of the notes. Now 6 years later, I'm back and blind-bottling all the LEs I've missed that I can't stop being curious about!

On me this is a lot of bay, with warm sandalwood, woody notes and carnation, and hints of clove after dry down. I detect no patchouli (excellent as I'm not a fan in large doses) and no vanilla, though the vanilla must be what keeps this on the warm and mellow side/prevents it from being acrid. The bay is predominant in the bottle and while wet, the woods, carnation and clove come out more and more after dry down (but the bay never departs).

This is a soft, warm, subtle spicy-woody-green-bay cologne. I really love it! Any woman who doesn't like wearing stereotypically masculine scents likely will not, though. This reminds me quite a bit of my dad's cologne.

This is lovely, very soft and gentle. I have been amping clove lately and was worried about it being the first note, but it stayed quietly in the background. It's beautifully blended, actually; aside from the sandalwood it was hard to pick out specific notes; I never got much carnation, to my chagrin. Unfortunately, it has very little staying power on my middle-aged skin. I'm delighted I got to try it, but I will probably be passing it on.

In the bottle: What I'm struck most by is a sense of creaminess, followed by the spiciness of clove and the spicy floral of carnation. Given the scent description, bourbon vanilla is the only thing I can think would be causing that creaminess, but it definitely doesn't smell like vanilla to me.

On my skin:

Wet, the creaminess is still subdued but present. I can imagine it being toasted sandalwood. (I know, that is a far cry from vanilla.) It's a lot of beautiful carnation and a bit of clove.

Dry, it's lovely, grounded carnation. I'm definitely picking up carnation and sandalwood. Clove and other woods may be contributing notes. I'll credit vanilla with the fact that this is not a sharp wood at all; it's lovely and soft all around. No Bay on me (not unusual) or patchouli, either (unusual, but not unheard of).

Also, for such a soft and delicate scent, this has a good deal of throw on me. Not complaining.

All settled, and the creamy note is back just a bit, as a detectable background note this time instead of at the forefront. But it's lovely creamy carnation and sandalwood with a touch of clove.

While I’m staying at home self isolating during this global pandemic, I thought I would bring some joy to my days by testing and reviewing my oils.

this is Day 2:

Fledgling Raptor Moon 2010 (10 years aged 🙃

Initial: Soft, feathery, brown, shy, peeping its head out to see what’s going on in the world without leaving the nest. 

The carnation blooms and suddenly it’s more pink and not quite so timid, but still reserved and watchful. 

On me, it’s hard to pick out individual notes. It’s soft, pretty and feminine and stays close to the skin. It’s not something I would usually wear but it’s very comforting. Like getting a hug from your grandma and having her old fashioned perfume linger on you (I’m guessing that’s the carnation). 

It is more complex than that though, there is a slight spiciness in the background, and the woods and bay come through a bit more, however the carnation is forefront for me. I can’t find the aged patchouli anywhere, though it may just be adding to round out the base. 

Fast forward an hour or so and it’s developed into a gently spiced wood and sandalwood with a touch of floral.

A little longer and like magic the bourbon vanilla creeps out. 

Very pretty and unassuming. Definitely for days when you are feeling soft, feminine and gentle. 

I’m going to stick with my initial thoughts - like a comforting hug from grandma and having her old fashioned perfume linger... not something I would usually wear, but for what it invokes , I am happy to have a bottle. 

Edited by Lilah Ladybug

Fledgling Raptor Moon

It's the New Moon, so I'm testing one of my new to me Moons.

In the bottle: Soft, clean, sweet woods. A tiny bit of that bay if I think about it while sniffing.

Wet: Sandalwood and clove jumped to the front, and that bay is lovely. It is a soft, brown, fluffy scent.

Dry down: Beautifully clean and gender neutral. A little spicy from that gorgeous bay and carnation. I can't get over the bay! I can pick out everything except the vanilla, but the bay is just amazing.

Dry: The vanilla has finally showed up and rounded everything out nicely. If slightly masculine scents go screeching headache on you, but you really really really want to love them, this is the scent for you. It is so gentle and well blended.

I love it! If I see anyone selling it, I'll definitely grab a backup.

As expected, lots of woodsiness; dry and warm, subtle spice, and a lemony aspect. Gentle and comforting.