The bird Imagination,
That flies so far, that dies so soon;
Her wings are colored like the sun,
Her breast is colored like the moon.

Weave her a chain of silver twist,
And a little hood of scarlet wool,
And let her perch upon your wrist,
And tell her she is beautiful.

Warm, soft tufts of down and gleaming tawny feathers: clove, toasted sandalwood, aged patchouli, bourbon vanilla, carnation, massoia bark, hinoki wood, and West Indian Bay.

Got to sample this at the WCWC.
Much, much softer than I would have expected, given the clove and all the woods, even in the bottle. I had been worried the clove, patchouli, and sandalwood would dominate, but they all play very nicely in the blend. I get mostly a spicy vanilla/carnation blend, like a woodsier version of Morocco, with just a touch of clove. The sandalwood is the only other note I might be able to pick out easily.
Though it stays pretty close to the skin (again, very soft), it lasts a long time without much morphing at all. It was some 8 hours ago I put a drop on my wrists, and I can still pick up on it enough.
This might just be a must for vanilla lovers. I'm not in that group, but I'm now seriously considering a bottle.

ETA: I did end up acquiring a bottle of my own, and worried (a lot) after reading most of the reviews here that it would be wildly different from the bottle I sampled. But no! My bottle is very, very carnation on me (yay) and everything else is tough to pick out, but it makes the carnation more spicy and woodsy and less floral. It's still more "soft" than anything, but I adore it.
I will recant my earlier statement about vanilla lovers. I think I must have been amping the hell out of the vanilla at the time, or it was the WC bottle, but I'm no longer getting much at all.
Overall, I love this and want backups. Edited by raisin

Damn you hinoki wood & massoia bark! :ack: Where's the aged patchouli or the clove??? Any of the other components??? I am so disappointed because I thought I was going to love this one.

Nothing but bark & woods on me. I'm not a fan of wood scents as I try to avoid them. :cry2:

Just out of the mail box. I honestly can not pick this apart. I will say that I'm not getting any vanilla, but the bottle may need to rest. I *think* that most of what I'm getting is the sandalwood, perhaps with a hint of the carnation, and some bay. It is actually quite nice, but not as "fluffy" as I expected. But again, it may need to rest. At the moment it's quite....perfumey. That sort of surprised me! I'm going to give it a day or two to rest and see how things sort out.

bottle: beautiful clove! reminds me of the winter of our discontent from 2006, that sort of clove. :yum:

wet: on my skin, this is very similar to the winter of our discontent. this is a bit creamier, not quite as spicy but i'm very surprised at how similar they smell.

dry: this dries to soft woods, clove and creamy sandalwood. so beautiful, i wish i'd picked up a second bottle.

FRM you have confused me! Just got this in the mail today and couldn't wait to try it on-- almost all the notes sound like WIN for me.

Wet: What's this? Floral perfume? OK, there's carnation in the blend, but I'm getting white orchids and gardenia type florals. Not what I'm expecting, and I'm not really a floral girl with the exception of rose. No vanilla, no clove, no woods to speak of.

Dry: OK, I think that's sandalwood taking over. Sandalwood sometimes goes high-pitched and soapy on me, and that's happening a bit. Why? Maybe my chemistry is just off right now, or maybe this bottle needs to rest. A few minutes later, sweet clove shows up, so that's nice. About twenty to thirty minutes in this is now faint clove and woods on my skin. Very soft yet spicy.

Well, this right now is a disappointing scent. :( I'm hoping with some rest and a little aging, I'll have better luck with it.

Oh, Fledgling Raptor Moon is exactly, exactly what I was hoping it would be. My all-time favorite oil is Coyote, and to me, FRM has the same downy quality to it. It's ethereal, but warm and musky.

I'm a happy, happy girl.

Not quite what I was expecting, but we'll see how this is when it settles in a bit.

Wet: smells a lot like Licwiglunga to me, almost fruity, but just for a split second.

Dry: Dark woods, with a lot of clove seeping in through the cracks in the wood. I'm not getting any vanilla here, but maybe that will come out in time. Definitely wearable, but I'm not in love like I thought. If the vanilla would peek his creamy head into the mix it would smooth things out beautifully. This is a spicy blend, but definitely not shrill(thankfully). Beautiful, but I don't think it's for me.

Where as Raven Moon evoked the image of black feathery night...this scent evokes the image of brown feathery warmth. It is a well balanced blend of clove, vanilla, and whatever magic Beth put in this. It is definitely "feathery" I don't know how else to describe this. Maybe a second testing will bring more words....but in the mean time...it's wonderful and I am SOOOOO GLADDDD I got a bottle. :thumbsup:

Oh no! This just arrived in today's mail, and I've been so excited about it--raptors being something of a favorite of mine, plus I've been on a vanilla kick of late--and I just tried it on...

Detergent. It smells vanilla-y at first, and I can detect a bit of spice and other things--almost a coconut feel to it--but very quickly it goes to soapiness of the sort that sticks in my mouth and throat. I suspect the sandalwood is to blame, as I've noted similar tendencies in both Paramatman and Queen Mab. I wanted so badly to love this one...particularly as I've not had much luck with this year's Lunacies. :cry2:

Just came today! It is so unique. In the bottle I got woods and spice and...as Dark Alice said, soemthing feathery! :lol: On, it expands on the initial scents, and now I'm getting my beloved sandalwood too. I like this a lot!

Really surprised no one else has mentioned this.. to me my first thought upon application was that it smelled like a lighter Mutter Museum's U! I get the clove too, and a hint of carnation.. but whatever that main note in U is, has got to be in here too.

Anyhow, it's gorgeous and yes, light, so it'll be a wonderful skin scent. :D

This is wonderful.

For me it starts out woody, spicy, warm. It settles into a very cozy, fuzzy/downy feeling scent.

It reminds me of grabbing my fuzzy blanket straight out of the dryer and my old favorite feather pillow and curling up in front of a fireplace with a hot spiced drink. It's comforting and warm.

Absolutely amazing. The fluffiness did not disappoint. It is gentle, close and warm. Right out of the bottle the snap of carnation mixes with the sandalwood in something a bit like sweet tarts (in my locket if I hold it close and sniff that stays). It dries down to a slightly vanilla sweetened sandalwood. It is very nearly a skin scent but cleaner if that makes any sense. None of the darker, mustier feel I thought might happen with the clove and massoia bark.

Beth just has a way with feathers. :blush:

In The Bottle

I get bay, bourbon vanilla and patchoulil with a touch of clove and a general greenness. Smells amazing in the bottle

On Application

As amazing as this was in the bottle multiply that by 100 once it touches skin. The sandalwood is definitely toasted! Dry, woody and slightly spicy

Dry Down

Damn! I wish I had ordered 10 bottles of this before it disappeared. As most of the other reviewers have pointed out this has the lovely soft and smooth clove that Beth uses. It is golden and glowing. Just stunning. I know Beth does amazing ice/snow and dirt based scents but it always amazes me how she can get the feeling of fur/feathers in a scent. Mole was a classic example and this is another. While this does go through an unsettling celery stage as it dries down I am sure that will disappear as the bottle ages.

Rating (0-5)

Unf, this is gorgeous. On my skin, the bay is what comes out the most, making this a slightly masculine scent. I can pick up the patchouli, but only if I really look for it. The woods are very present, but they're soft and subdued. After it has been on my skin for a while, then finally the carnation appears. That's really when this scent becomes perfect, for me.

I'm hoping that the vanilla will amp up and the bay will quiet down over time.

Of course, it's also fresh out of the mailbox, so if in a few days this changes, I'll be sure to come back and edit accordingly.

I am absolutely in love with this lunacy. On my skin chemistry is smells like spicy (from the clove) vanilla-sandlwood with an undertone of carnation. The patchouli and woods give it depth and it definitely a warm, cozy, sexy scent. Just beautiful!!!!!!!!! :wub2:

Edited by angburfield

This is my first purchase of a Lunacy from the Lab, and I am so pleased I took the risk! The notes are almost all sweetly blended together for one of the most comforting scents I've ever smelled. The clove is not overwhelming but instead offers a gentle spiciness to a very woody-enveloping scent. I can pick out a little of the sandalwood but on the whole the rest is just a sweet-ish, fluffy, warm scent.

Ahhh. So good!

Edit: I don't get any vanilla at the moment, and it is the only thing I wish I got more of. If this changes, I'll update.

Edited by Deceitfuldescender

Fledgling Raptor Moon

This is well blended. It's spicy, kind of dry, with woods. I can't pick out vanilla or carnation. The scent reminds me a little of dried grass or hay. Season-wise, I'd associate it with late summer. I'm not sure whether or not it's a keeper... will have to let it settle and try again.

This is well-blended, because I can't pick out any specifics other than faint coconut and woody notes. It's almost a softer version of Blood Pearl. It does feel very comforting to wear. I feel a warm fuzzy.

I'm going to wear throughout the week and see how it develops. I'm disappointed that I don't smell the other notes.

In the bottle: Powdery spice. Not what I was expecting at all.

Wet on my skin: Very very very powdery spices. I definitely get a fluffy, feathery feel from this. I like the synesthesia effect it's creating but I'm not enjoying this overly powdery scent.

Dry: I'm smelling the teeniest bit of clove, vanilla and carnation. I don't detect any of the other notes. The fluffy/powdery notes are still strong and in the foreground. This has great lasting power and incredible throw.

Overall: Definitley a warm and snuggly scent...very powdery though and not what I was expecting at all. I can't do powderly scents so I'm afraid this one isn't for me. It's not bad at all, just unexpected and doesn't work well with my skin chemistry.

Normally I'm not into the lunacy blends but this is the first one that truly resonated with me. The imagery, the poem, and the notes -- all of it seemed . . . right. So, I went ahead and decided to risk a bottle.

I'm glad I did.

On me, this is a warm, sweet, spicy, woody scent. I'm not sure I get the fluffy feathers others have mentioned but I get the impression of something soft and golden. Both the sweetness and spice are on the mild side, adding an extra oomph to the fragrance rather than overtaking it. I can't seem to pick out individual notes, as this oil is very well blended and my skin isn't amping one over the other. It's very comforting, like a warm blanket or a hug from a loved one.

My one disappointment, echoed by so many here, is that the bourbon vanilla isn't a smidge stronger. I would have been over the moon (yes, bad pun!) if I got more vanilla. As it is, this is a lovely sweet spice/wood.

This doesn't have much throw and stays close to the skin. I prefer my scents to skin close, but those who want lots of throw might be disappointed.

clove, sandalwood, patch, wood/bark, and bay - all here. I can't smell the bourbon vanilla, or any carnation. This is a very nice spicy wood scent, for those who like that. A decant shall be enough for me, to wear when I'm feeling cozy and want to curl up on the couch this fall.

Oh... ouch. I hate to be the dissenter in the love fest for Fledgling Raptor Moon, but here I go... :blush:

In the bottle: I get herbs and medicinal and everything about chinese medicine shops that I hate. I try to remain open minded, I know the stages bpal oils can go through. So, in the spirit of the song "Love Potion #9," I hold my nose and close my eyes and skin test.

Drydown: Same as in the bottle, but diminishing slightly. Slightly. Not enough for me to be hopeful, so I go back to smelling my other wrist, which has another oil I'm testing.

A little later: I guess the combination that I'm smelling of bay/sandalwood is what is disagreeing with me the most. I'm getting cedar shavings and bird seed. This is maybe where the bird/feather thing comes in for others- to me it smells like someone forgot to clean the cockatiel's cage for a few days. I'm not getting any vanilla or floral here at all, just a rank compost.

Later still: Okay, now I can understand, at least intellectually, where all the love is coming from. It's now finally rounded out into something interesting or unusual scent wise, but doesn't work with my skin at all. Which is good because I don't want to smell like this.

For the record, I have to say that FRM is full of notes I love, so I'm guessing the culprits for me are the bay and the strange woods.

A little woodsy, a little earthy from the patchouli, and a little warm from the sandalwood and vanilla. INCREDIBLY amazing!! Possibly a favorite. It dries on the sweet side, but I never noticed the clove or carnation.

It's beautiful, though not what I was expecting at all. I was hoping for something a little bit warmer, a little spicier, but the woods tame my beloved carnation down to a powdery afterthought, and I get zero clove and almost no patchouli. The bay is all upfront, the first thing I smell in the bottle. I wouldn't at any point guess that there's vanilla in this, even though I tend to amp it into something plastic and fake. I so wanted it to be a "fuzzier" version of Clemence (especially with the patchouli and carnation). Wearlength is decent, as is throw, but I don't see myself wearing it often.