Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Juushika

BPTP (Hair Gloss, Atmo, Bath Oil) to BPAL Similarities/Reccs

I'm just not sure what else will go with Red Lantern. Anyone?

I think that The Death of Sardanapal and The Arrival at the Sabbath and Homage to the Devil (Salon blends) are both a bit similar in feel to Red Lantern.

Snake Charmer layered with Red Lantern is gorgeous.

And I've never personally tried it, but I could see Goblin's sweet coconut and darker tones working well with RL.

Milk Chocolate, Raw Ginger, and Butterscotch would add more of the spiced caramel scent...

Thanks! You've given me some good ideas, and I have Snake Charmer and Goblin. Now I just have to place an order for the Red Lantern spray, along with a few othe Post goodies.

I feel like Fae Forest has a similar feel to Slobbering Pine- sparkling light and dewey. I'd love some hints on a super-light floral to layer with Slobbering Pine, however, to come even closer. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit to answer my own question: on my skin, Elf from the RPG line is pretty close! Aspen leaf, lily, and violet are the only notes in common but for some reason it feels very similar to me. Layered with Slobbering Pine (just the TINIEST bit of Slobbering Pine) brings it even closer, as Fay Forest has Siberian fir needle and white pine bark. :wub2:

Edited by biocarolyn

I feel like Fae Forest has a similar feel to Slobbering Pine- sparkling light and dewey. I'd love some hints on a super-light floral to layer with Slobbering Pine, however, to come even closer. Anyone have any ideas?

Bearing in mind that florals are not really my friend..

I would suggest Grief - lily of the valley, hyacinth, calamus, muguet, hydrangea, and elemi - reviews are here. To me, it was a nice mix of florals without being too floral-y, and it does have a nice soft/light tone.

It's a shame that Sundew is now discontinued, because that would be another one I would have recommended - no listed notes, but to me that one was a beautiful sparkling, golden sunny and fresh blend that feels like a floral but isn't full-on flowers. Reviews are here - it might be worth trying to track down an imp, because it really is a nice one.

The other one that came to mind is Moonshine and Mist - ethereal, otherworldly, delicate: ambergris, white musk, water violet, ylang ylang, magnolia, and white sandalwood - reviews are here. Very soft and pretty - it actually does feel misty, and kind of like a forest full of wildflowers. I was thinking it would be a nice companion to Fae Forest.. not sure about how it would go with Slobbering Pine though - maybe worth a try? :smile:

I ordered a goblin squirt of Unspeakably Evil Temple and have fallen in love with it. It has a dark incense feeling to it that goes well with my other incense scents. Even though it doesn't list clove as a note, I also love it with my perfumes that include clove and resins/incense: Heavenly Love and Earthly Love, Hellgate of Ireland, and Mort de Cesar in particular.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but there doesn't seem to be one for BPTP things other than atmos.

The Fig and Sandalwood Hair Gloss smells exactly like a slightly less sweet Intrigue perfume oil.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but there doesn't seem to be one for BPTP things other than atmos.

The Fig and Sandalwood Hair Gloss smells exactly like a slightly less sweet Intrigue perfume oil.

The BPTP Hair Gloss thread is here. :D

The BPTP Hair Gloss thread is here. :D

Right. But that is in the BPTP section, I was looking for one here in Recs that compared TP stuff with Lab stuff.

Is it just me or does Ghoul Haunted Woodlands of Weir smell a LOT like Old Demons of the First Class?

Is it just me or does Ghoul Haunted Woodlands of Weir smell a LOT like Old Demons of the First Class?

OMGosh, really?? I received a frimp of that from the lab that I haven't tried it yet. Ghoul is in my top 5 BPAL scents of all time. I will have to go and test this, thank you!

OMGosh, really?? I received a frimp of that from the lab that I haven't tried it yet. Ghoul is in my top 5 BPAL scents of all time. I will have to go and test this, thank you!

I tried it last night. It was REALLY similar ~ has a similar dark, smokey feel. Old Demons just lacks the leafy/woody note. I may have to experiment and layer this with a green note and see what I can come up with. Thanks for sharing this!

i recently received a gift of a decanted BPTP atmosphere spray: Aphrodite Eyrkine.

My mom is absolutely in love with it and I'd like to find her a resonably similar BPAL oil. The notes are "Blood orange, ylang ylang, red musk, jasmine, and mimosa."

Any ideas?

I bought both of the Aphrodites, and they are gorgeous, and I would like to know if anyone could tell me what would smell like Aphrodite Kyphiria (sp?) which is the cinnamon one.

I bought both of the Aphrodites, and they are gorgeous, and I would like to know if anyone could tell me what would smell like Aphrodite Kyphiria (sp?) which is the cinnamon one.

I think SawScaled Viper is pretty close to Aphrodite Kypria though there's a bit more spice to it (bearing in mind that I have a cold). Worth a try anyway!

Edited by alterosen

I am in love with scent of Frankincense and Clove hair gloss :wub2: and would really love to find it's perfume oil partner: any good recommendations? Preferably without too much flowery notes but extra woody notes could be perfectly fine

Try Anne Bonny, Penitence, and Cathedral? They all have a similar vibe to my nose.

I second Penitence, and also recommend All Souls, which you can get on Etsy right now, and Midnight Mass.

You might also want to look at Gothic Horror, and Clemence for clove.

i'll throw cleric into the ring. beautiful frankincense with a nice blend of spices along for the ride. just be ready for a dose of rose...but i promise it works with the rest of the notes! :)

I second Clemence, which is one of my two holy grails. It doesn't contain frankincense but it has that dark and seductive quality, truly gorgeous! :wub2: Old Demons of the First Class is also very dark and clovey, sweet but not cloying. I'm wearing it right now. Mmmmmm cloves.....

I was in the mood for something different today, so I broke out my bottle of Clermont, which I purchased when it was first released. I can't typically wear rose scents because they turn straight to soap, but the opium tar in this one has always taken center stage. Now, after aging for two years, this is a very dark incensey rose... so much better, and it has unbelievable staying power and throw. All morning long I could smell it, and it kept reminding me of something else in my collection but I couldn't quite figure it out. Then all of a sudden I realized: it smells like Lucy in Darkness Atmo Spray! Clermont has aged to a scent that is almost a dupe of Lucy in Darkness, which is probably my all-time favorite atmosphere spray. The only listed note that would be in common is the opium, but even side by side they are very similar. Lucy has a bit of the grave about her scent though, that is lacking from Clermont. I am going to try layering Clermont with a hint of Graveyard Dirt and see if that brings them even closer. I am so glad to have realized that I do have a similar perfume to my beloved Lucy! :wub2:

That's funny- I don't get that. To me it smells green/woody and dark (more dirt-like than ODFC's smooth musk) and a little misty.

Edited by patina

Can anyone compare Mahogany hall atmo spray to Bloody Bannister?? are they at all similar? I love mahogany hall, and would love to find a BPAL oil equivalent!

Edited by sharkdiver

I'm finally running out of my L'Estate atmospheric spray...I've never found a perfume that is similar to it. Suggestions?

Mrs Palmer's smells divine--any suggestions for a matching perfume? I like how soft the leather is and how strong the vanilla is.